Summary: The binding of virus particles to receptors on the host cell surface. For enveloped viruses, the virion ligand is usually a surface glycoprotein as is the cellular receptor. For non-enveloped viruses, the virus CAPSID serves as the ligand.
- Zeippen C, Javaux J, Xiao X, Ledecq M, Mast J, Farnir F, et al. The Major Envelope Glycoprotein of Murid Herpesvirus 4 Promotes Sexual Transmission. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Key among these is viral transmission. Here we show that the major envelope glycoprotein of murid herpesvirus 4 functions not in entry or dissemination but in virion release to allow sexual transmission to new hosts. ..
- Kesharwani A, Polachira S, Nair R, Agarwal A, Mishra N, Gupta S. Anti-HSV-2 activity of Terminalia chebula Retz extract and its constituents, chebulagic and chebulinic acids. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:110 pubmed publisher..chebulagic and chebulinic acids have higher direct antiviral activity against HSV-2 and efficacy to inhibit virus attachment and penetration to the host cells as compared to acyclovir...
- Zheng L, Wang W, Liu J, Huo Y, Qin C, Wang M, et al. Comprehensive characterization of a major capsid protein derived from a documented GII.6 norovirus strain. Arch Virol. 2017;162:3863-3868 pubmed publisher..The data regarding the assembly, morphology and binding patterns of GII.6 NoV VLPs presented here might be useful for further study of GII.6 NoVs. ..
- Fellinger C, Gardner M, Bailey C, Farzan M. Simian Immunodeficiency Virus SIVmac239, but Not SIVmac316, Binds and Utilizes Human CD4 More Efficiently than Rhesus CD4. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..This property may be especially important to efforts to eradicate latently infected cells. ..
- Maghsoodi A, Chatterjee A, Andricioaei I, Perkins N. Dynamic Model Exposes the Energetics and Dynamics of the Injection Machinery for Bacteriophage T4. Biophys J. 2017;113:195-205 pubmed publisher..It also reveals the large and highly nonlinear conformational changes of the sheath whose elastic energy drives the injection process. ..
- Shimon A, Shani O, Diskin R. Structural Basis for Receptor Selectivity by the Whitewater Arroyo Mammarenavirus. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2825-2839 pubmed publisher..Instead, the ability to utilize the human receptor directly depends on the extent of weak interactions throughout the receptor-binding site that in some viruses are sufficiently strong to overcome the structural incompatibilities. ..
- Murakami S, Takenaka Uema A, Kobayashi T, Kato K, Shimojima M, Palmarini M, et al. Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycan Is an Important Attachment Factor for Cell Entry of Akabane and Schmallenberg Viruses. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that heparin is a strong inhibitor of AKAV and SBV infections. Revealing the molecular mechanisms of virus-host interactions is critical in order to understand virus biology and develop novel live attenuated vaccines. ..
- Winstel V, Sanchez Carballo P, Holst O, Xia G, Peschel A. Biosynthesis of the unique wall teichoic acid of Staphylococcus aureus lineage ST395. MBio. 2014;5:e00869 pubmed publisher..The elucidation of ST395 WTA biosynthesis will help to understand how Gram-positive bacteria produce highly variable WTA types and elucidate functional consequences of WTA variation. ..
- Arif M, Hunter J, LÃ©da A, Zukurov J, Samer S, Camargo M, et al. Pace of Coreceptor Tropism Switch in HIV-1-Infected Individuals after Recent Infection. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..We demonstrated here that a low baseline FPR determined by the Geno2pheno[coreceptor] algorithm can predict tropism evolution from CCR5 to CXCR4 coreceptor use. ..
- Muller M, Raj V, Muth D, Meyer B, Kallies S, Smits S, et al. Human coronavirus EMC does not require the SARS-coronavirus receptor and maintains broad replicative capability in mammalian cell lines. MBio. 2012;3: pubmed publisher..Our results implicate that the new virus might use a receptor that is conserved between bats, pigs and humans suggesting a low barrier against cross-host transmission. ..
- Anthony S, Gilardi K, Menachery V, Goldstein T, Ssebide B, Mbabazi R, et al. Further Evidence for Bats as the Evolutionary Source of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus. MBio. 2017;8: pubmed publisher..By showing that PREDICT/PDF-2180 does not infect cells that express the functional receptor for MERS-CoV, we further show that recombination was likely to be the critical step that allowed MERS to emerge in humans. ..
- Benton D, Wharton S, Martin S, McCauley J. Role of Neuraminidase in Influenza A(H7N9) Virus Receptor Binding. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..This could have implications for understanding human-to-human transmission of these viruses. ..
- Peacock T, Benton D, James J, Sadeyen J, Chang P, Sealy J, et al. Immune Escape Variants of H9N2 Influenza Viruses Containing Deletions at the Hemagglutinin Receptor Binding Site Retain Fitness In Vivo and Display Enhanced Zoonotic Characteristics. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the complex relationship between antigenic drift and the potential of avian influenza viruses to infect humans. ..
- Zhao Y, Ren J, Harlos K, Jones D, Zeltina A, Bowden T, et al. Toremifene interacts with and destabilizes the Ebola virus glycoprotein. Nature. 2016;535:169-172 pubmed publisher..Thus, these complex structures reveal the mechanism of inhibition and may guide the development of more powerful anti-EBOV drugs. ..
- Lin Y, Racaniello V. Polioviruses that bind a chimeric Pvr-nectin-2 protein identify capsid residues involved in receptor interaction. Virology. 2017;510:305-315 pubmed publisher..Unlike poliovirus-Pvr binding, the VP1 BC loop is required for infection of cells producing nectin-2Pvr(c'c"d). ..
- Grigorov B, Molle J, Rubinstein E, Zoulim F, Bartosch B. CD81 large extracellular loop-containing fusion proteins with a dominant negative effect on HCV cell spread and replication. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1646-1657 pubmed publisher..Their expression in the hepatoma cell line Huh7.5 blocks HCV uptake, transmission and replication. These molecules will be useful to decipher the various roles of CD81 in the HCV life cycle and transmission in more detail. ..
- Wang J, Zeng L, Zhang L, Guo Z, Lu S, Ming S, et al. Cholesterol 25-hydroxylase acts as a host restriction factor on pseudorabies virus replication. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1467-1476 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate that CH25H is an intrinsic host restriction factor in PRV infection of porcine alveolar macrophages. ..
- Zhong Y, Fei C, Tang X, Zhan W, Sheng X. A 32 kDa viral attachment protein of lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV) specifically interacts with a 27.8 kDa cellular receptor from flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus). J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1477-1488 pubmed publisher..These results indicated for the first time that the 32?kDa protein functioned as an attachment protein for the initial attachment and entry of LCDV, and the interaction of the 32?kDa VAP with the 27.8R-initiated LCDV infection. ..
- Espinoza J, León M, Céspedes P, Gómez R, Canedo Marroquín G, Riquelme S, et al. Heme Oxygenase-1 Modulates Human Respiratory Syncytial Virus Replication and Lung Pathogenesis during Infection. J Immunol. 2017;199:212-223 pubmed publisher..Finally, in vitro data suggest that HO-1 induction can modulate the susceptibility of cells, especially the airway epithelial cells, to hRSV infection. ..
- Sobhy H. A comparative review of viral entry and attachment during large and giant dsDNA virus infections. Arch Virol. 2017;162:3567-3585 pubmed publisher..Cell types that are frequently used to study viral entry are also reviewed, along with other factors that affect virus-host cell interactions. ..
- Yu L, Shang S, Tao R, Wang C, Zhang L, Peng H, et al. High doses of recombinant mannan-binding lectin inhibit the binding of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus with cells expressing DC-SIGN. APMIS. 2017;125:655-664 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that DC-SIGN may be an alternative receptor for influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus. ..
- Sharma S, Carlsson B, CzakÃ³ R, Vene S, Haglund M, Ludvigsson J, et al. Human Sera Collected between 1979 and 2010 Possess Blocking-Antibody Titers to Pandemic GII.4 Noroviruses Isolated over Three Decades. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..We also show that serum lacking IgA antibodies is sufficient to block NoV VLP binding to HBGAs. This is essential, considering that 1 in every 600 Caucasian children is IgA deficient. ..
- Newton R, Delguste M, Koehler M, Dumitru A, Laskowski P, Muller D, et al. Combining confocal and atomic force microscopy to quantify single-virus binding to mammalian cell surfaces. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:2275-2292 pubmed publisher..Experienced microscopists should be able to master the entire set of protocols in 1 month...