Genomes and Genes
Summary: The specificity of a virus for infecting a particular type of cell or tissue.
- Salinas S, Constant O, Desmetz C, Barthelemy J, Lemaitre J, Milhavet O, et al. Deleterious effect of Usutu virus on human neural cells. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005913 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the need to better characterize the physiopathology related to USUV infection in order to anticipate the potential threat of USUV emergence. ..
- Haid S, Grethe C, Dill M, Heim M, Kaderali L, Pietschmann T. Isolate-dependent use of claudins for cell entry by hepatitis C virus. Hepatology. 2014;59:24-34 pubmed..Broad CLDN tropism may facilitate viral escape from CLDN1-specific therapeutic strategies. ..
- Svyatchenko V, Ternovoy V, Kiselev N, Demina A, Loktev V, Netesov S, et al. Bioselection of coxsackievirus B6 strain variants with altered tropism to human cancer cell lines. Arch Virol. 2017;162:3355-3362 pubmed publisher..We identified nucleotide changes responsible for the phenotypes and suggest a bioselection approach for a generation of oncolytic virus strains with a wider spectrum of affected tumors. ..
- Miller S, Miles B, Guo K, Folkvord J, Meditz A, McCarter M, et al. Follicular Regulatory T Cells Are Highly Permissive to R5-Tropic HIV-1. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our study provides new insight into HIV-1 replication and a potential new cell type to target for future treatment. ..
- Chong A, Lee S, Yang Y, Song J. The Role of Typhoid Toxin in Salmonella Typhi Virulence?. Yale J Biol Med. 2017;90:283-290 pubmed..This article discusses the current understanding of typhoid toxin and potential directions for future research endeavors in order to better understand the contribution of typhoid toxin to S. Typhi virulence. ..
- Saracino A, Monno L, Scudeller L, Bruno G, Ladisa N, Punzi G, et al. X4 viruses are frequently archived in patients with long-term HIV infection but do not seem to influence the "inflamm-aging" process. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:220 pubmed publisher..CRT does not seem to influence the inflammation rate of patients aging with HIV. ..
- Kang M, Cha S, Jang H. Tropism and infectivity of duck-derived egg drop syndrome virus in chickens. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177236 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that EDSVs derived from ducks have various pathogenicities in laying hens. Key amino acid candidates might have altered their affinity to tropism of laying hens, causing difference pathogenicities...
- Cano Gómez C, Fernandez Pinero J, García Casado M, Zell R, Jimenez Clavero M. Characterization of PTV-12, a newly described porcine teschovirus serotype: in vivo infection and cross-protection studies. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1636-1645 pubmed publisher..Based on phylogenetic analysis and serological data, we propose CC25 as the prototype strain of a new teschovirus serotype, PTV-12. ..
- Sterbenc A, Hosnjak L, Chouhy D, Bolatti E, Ostrbenk A, Seme K, et al. Molecular characterization, tissue tropism, and genetic variability of the novel Mupapillomavirus type HPV204 and phylogenetically related types HPV1 and HPV63. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175892 pubmed publisher..We detected several nucleotide substitutions and deletions within the LCR genomic regions of Mu-PVs and identified two genetic variants of HPV204 and HPV63 and five genetic variants of HPV1. ..
- Carossino M, Loynachan A, Canisso I, Cook R, Campos J, Nam B, et al. Equine Arteritis Virus Has Specific Tropism for Stromal Cells and CD8+ T and CD21+ B Lymphocytes but Not for Glandular Epithelium at the Primary Site of Persistent Infection in the Stallion Reproductive Tract. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Therefore, EAV persistence provides a powerful new natural animal model to study RNA virus persistence in the male reproductive tract. ..
- Fan L, Li Z, Huang J, Yang Z, Xiao S, Wang X, et al. Dynamic distribution and tissue tropism of avian encephalomyelitis virus isolate XY/Q-1410 in experimentally infected Korean quail. Arch Virol. 2017;162:3447-3458 pubmed publisher..The distinct dynamic distribution of the viral genome in Korean quail in the early and late stages of infection suggests that AEV replication is affected by antibody levels and the maturity of the immune system of the host. ..
- Kumar J, Yadav V, Phulera S, Kamble A, Gautam A, Panwar H, et al. Species Specificity of Vaccinia Virus Complement Control Protein for the Bovine Classical Pathway Is Governed Primarily by Direct Interaction of Its Acidic Residues with Factor I. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Of note, the variola complement regulator SPICE contains positively charged residues at these positions. Thus, these variant residues in VCP help enhance its potency against the bovine CP and thereby the fitness of the virus in cattle. ..
- Alto B, Wiggins K, Eastmond B, Velez D, Lounibos L, Lord C. Transmission risk of two chikungunya lineages by invasive mosquito vectors from Florida and the Dominican Republic. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005724 pubmed publisher..We identified small-scale geographic variation in vector competence among Ae. aegypti and Ae. albopictus that may contribute to regional differences in risk of CHIKV transmission in Florida. ..
- Vancoillie L, Hebberecht L, Dauwe K, Demecheleer E, Dinakis S, Vaneechoutte D, et al. Longitudinal sequencing of HIV-1 infected patients with low-level viremia for years while on ART shows no indications for genetic evolution of the virus. Virology. 2017;510:185-193 pubmed publisher..In none of the patients consistent indications for genetic evolution were found over a median period of 4.8 years of LLV. As such these findings could not provide evidence that active virus replication is the main driver of LLV. ..
- Zhang X, Xu G, Wang C, Jiang M, Gao W, Wang M, et al. Enhanced pathogenicity and neurotropism of mouse-adapted H10N7 influenza virus are mediated by novel PB2 and NA mutations. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1185-1195 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the novel mutations in PB2 and NA genes are critical for the adaptation of H10N7 AIV in mice, and they could serve as molecular signatures of virus transmission to mammalian hosts, including humans. ..
- Houot L, Navarro R, Nouailler M, Duché D, Guerlesquin F, Lloubes R. Electrostatic interactions between the CTX phage minor coat protein and the bacterial host receptor TolA drive the pathogenic conversion of Vibrio cholerae. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13584-13598 pubmed publisher..Our results imply that to prevent host evasion, CTX? uses an infection strategy that targets a highly conserved protein of Gram-negative bacteria essential for the fitness of V. cholerae in its natural environment. ..
- Mohanty S, Donnelly B, Dupree P, Lobeck I, Mowery S, Meller J, et al. A Point Mutation in the Rhesus Rotavirus VP4 Protein Generated through a Rotavirus Reverse Genetics System Attenuates Biliary Atresia in the Murine Model. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..i>In vitro, the mutant virus had reduced binding and infectivity in cholangiocytes. In vivo, it produced fewer symptoms and lower mortality in neonatal mice, resulting in an attenuated form of biliary atresia. ..
- Coleman S, Choi K, McGregor A. Cytomegalovirus UL128 homolog mutants that form a pentameric complex produce virus with impaired epithelial and trophoblast cell tropism and altered pathogenicity in the guinea pig. Virology. 2017;509:205-221 pubmed publisher..GP129 chemokine mutants formed PC but GP129 chemokine mutant viruses had reduced epitropism. A GP129 chemokine mutant virus pathogenicity study demonstrated reduced viral load to target organs but highly extended viremia. ..
- Del Prete G, Keele B, Fode J, Thummar K, Swanstrom A, Rodriguez A, et al. A single gp120 residue can affect HIV-1 tropism in macaques. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006572 pubmed publisher..Our findings should facilitate the design of HIV-1 Env proteins for use in non-human primate models and thus expedite the development of clinically relevant reagents for testing interventions against HIV-1...
- Beuttemmuller E, Alfieri A, Headley S, Alfieri A. Brazilian strain of bovine respiratory coronavirus is derived from dual enteric and respiratory tropism. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the Brazilian BCoV evolved from being solely enteric to a dual enteric and respiratory tropic virus. ..
- Howe K, Salehi S, Hartford Bailey R, Brooks J, Wills R, Lawrence M, et al. Supplemental invasion of Salmonella from the perspective of Salmonella enterica serovars Kentucky and Typhimurium. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:88 pubmed publisher..A different result was observed for Typhimurium as the mutation significantly lowered the rate of invasion in comparison to the wild-type strain. ..
- Gerna G, Revello M, Baldanti F, Percivalle E, Lilleri D. The pentameric complex of human Cytomegalovirus: cell tropism, virus dissemination, immune response and vaccine development. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:2215-2234 pubmed publisher..Although anti-HCMV antibodies may act with other mechanisms than mere neutralizing activity, these findings definitely favour their protective activity, thus paving the way to the development of a potentially protective HCMV vaccine. ..
- McDonald E, Duggal N, Brault A. Pathogenesis and sexual transmission of Spondweni and Zika viruses. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005990 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, future studies should be undertaken to assess the role of viral genetic determinants and host tropism that dictate the differential sexual transmission potential of ZIKV and SPONV...
- Leoni V, Gatta V, Casiraghi C, Nicosia A, Petrović B, Campadelli Fiume G. A Strategy for Cultivation of Retargeted Oncolytic Herpes Simplex Viruses in Non-cancer Cells. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..One strategy to engineer nonattenuated oncolytic HSVs consists of retargeting the viral tropism to a cancer-specific receptor of choice, exemplified by HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2), which ..
- Gonzalez Perez M, Peters P, O Connell O, Silva N, Harbison C, Cummings Macri S, et al. Identification of Emerging Macrophage-Tropic HIV-1 R5 Variants in Brain Tissue of AIDS Patients without Severe Neurological Complications. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Finally, our data are consistent with the brain forming a sanctuary site for latent virus and low-level viral replication in the absence of neuro-disease. ..
- Calton C, Bronnimann M, Manson A, Li S, Chapman J, Suarez Berumen M, et al. Translocation of the papillomavirus L2/vDNA complex across the limiting membrane requires the onset of mitosis. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006200 pubmed publisher..This represents the first time a virus has been shown to functionally couple the penetration of limiting membranes to cellular mitosis, explaining in part the tropism of HPV for mitotic basal keratinocytes. ..
- Lee D, Bahl J, Torchetti M, Killian M, Ip H, DeLiberto T, et al. Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Viruses and Generation of Novel Reassortants, United States, 2014-2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:1283-5 pubmed publisher..Complete genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis of 32 H5 viruses identified novel H5N1, H5N2, and H5N8 viruses that emerged in late 2014 through reassortment with North American low-pathogenicity avian influenza viruses. ..
- Harper S, Cowell S, Dawson W. Isolate fitness and tissue-tropism determine superinfection success. Virology. 2017;511:222-228 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that cross-protection is not a simple like-for-like process but a complex interaction between the primary and challenge isolates and the host. ..
- Santos Fernando F, Coelho Kasmanas T, Diniz Lopes P, da Silva Montassier M, Zanella Mores M, Casagrande Mariguela V, et al. Assessment of molecular and genetic evolution, antigenicity and virulence properties during the persistence of the infectious bronchitis virus in broiler breeders. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:2470-2481 pubmed publisher
- Amgarten D, Martins L, Lombardi K, Antunes L, de Souza A, Nicastro G, et al. Three novel Pseudomonas phages isolated from composting provide insights into the evolution and diversity of tailed phages. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:346 pubmed publisher..The results about the newly discovered and described phages contribute to the understanding of tailed bacteriophage diversity, evolution, and role in the complex composting environment. ..