bacterial physiological phenomena
Summary: Physiological processes and properties of BACTERIA.
- Silva K, Chellamuthu P, Boedicker J. Quantifying the strength of quorum sensing crosstalk within microbial communities. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005809 pubmed publisher..Our results present a route to characterize crosstalk between species and predict systems-level signaling dynamics in multispecies communities...
- Prabhu S, Vaideki K, Anitha S, Rajendran R. Synthesis of ZnO nanoparticles using Melia dubia leaf extract and its characterisation. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:62-65 pubmed publisher..Finally, an attempt has been made to correlate the structure with the antimicrobial property of the material. ..
- Gleeson K, Eggli D, Maxwell S. Quantitative aspiration during sleep in normal subjects. Chest. 1997;111:1266-72 pubmed..The quantity aspirated is of an order of magnitude likely to contain bacterial organisms in physiologically significant quantities. ..
- Espinoza R, Silva Valenzuela C, Amaya F, Urrutia Í, Contreras I, Santiviago C. Differential roles for pathogenicity islands SPI-13 and SPI-8 in the interaction of Salmonella Enteritidis and Salmonella Typhi with murine and human macrophages. Biol Res. 2017;50:5 pubmed publisher..Typhi with murine or human macrophages. We hypothesized that typhoid serovars have lost SPI-13 and maintained SPI-8 to improve their fitness during another phase of human infection. ..
- Mirelman D, Altmann G, Eshdat Y. Screening of bacterial isolates for mannose-specific lectin activity by agglutination of yeasts. J Clin Microbiol. 1980;11:328-31 pubmed..marcescens isolates were the most avid binders to the yeast, whereas Klebsiella and Citrobacter isolates were the weakest. ..
- Kowalski J, Gorska R. Clinical and microbiological evaluation of biofilm-gingival interface classification in patients with generalized forms of periodontitis. Pol J Microbiol. 2014;63:175-81 pubmed..rectus were found in a higher numbers. No such differences were observed between P2 and P3 groups. The BGI scale seems to be helpful in effective and quick classifying of patients into adequate clinical subgroups. ..
- Ali A, Haq I, Akhtar J, Sher M, Ahmed N, Zia M. Synthesis of Ag-NPs impregnated cellulose composite material: its possible role in wound healing and photocatalysis. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:477-484 pubmed publisher..The Ag-NPs impregnated cellulose can be effectively used in wound dressing to prevent bacterial attack and scavenger of free radicals at wound site, and also as filters for bioremediation and wastewater purification. ..
- Ghanbar F, Mirzaie A, Ashrafi F, Noorbazargan H, Dalirsaber Jalali M, Salehi S, et al. Antioxidant, antibacterial and anticancer properties of phyto-synthesised Artemisia quttensis Podlech extract mediated AgNPs. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:485-492 pubmed publisher..These present obtained results show the potential applications of phyto-synthesised AgNPs using A. quttensis aerial parts extract. ..
- Fernandez M, Riveros J, Campos M, Mathee K, Narasimhan G. Microbial "social networks". BMC Genomics. 2015;16 Suppl 11:S6 pubmed publisher..As a consequence of the analysis, a variety of biological interpretations are conjectured. In the human microbiome context, the pattern of strength of interactions between bacterial taxa is unique to body site. ..
- Zhang Y, Jiang W, Qin Y, Wang G, Xu R, Xie B. Dynamic changes of bacterial community in activated sludge with pressurized aeration in a sequencing batch reactor. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:2639-2648 pubmed publisher..Pressurized aeration would have a far-reaching impact on microbial community in activated sludge when treating wastewaters being unfavorable to the dissolution of oxygen. ..
- Yazdimamaghani M, Vashaee D, Assefa S, Walker K, Madihally S, Köhler G, et al. Hybrid macroporous gelatin/bioactive-glass/nanosilver scaffolds with controlled degradation behavior and antimicrobial activity for bone tissue engineering. J Biomed Nanotechnol. 2014;10:911-31 pubmed..The viability of hMSC on the scaffold suggested that gelatin/bioactive-glass/nanosilver scaffolds can be used as an antibacterial scaffolds. ..
- Owens W, Berg R. Bacterial translocation from the gastrointestinal tract of athymic (nu/nu) mice. Infect Immun. 1980;27:461-7 pubmed..8% in the thymus-grafted (nu/nu) mice. Thus, T-cell-dependent immunity restored by thymic grafts inhibited the translocation of certain indigenous bacteria from the gastrointestinal tract to the spleen, liver, and kidney in nu/nu mice. ..
- Jurcisek J, Dickson A, Bruggeman M, Bakaletz L. In vitro biofilm formation in an 8-well chamber slide. J Vis Exp. 2011;: pubmed publisher..This protocol can be used to help elucidate the mechanism and kinetics by which biofilms form, as well as identify components that are important to biofilm structure and stability. ..
- Xia Q, Zheng L, Zhao P, Wang J. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Artemisia annua callus for inhibiting stem-end bacteria in cut carnation flowers. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:185-192 pubmed publisher..In addition, ethylene release of cut carnation flowers was inhibited in response to AgNP pulse. This is the first time that the biologically synthesised AgNPs could be applied as a promising preservative agent for cut carnation flowers. ..
- van Loosdrecht M, Lyklema J, Norde W, Schraa G, Zehnder A. Electrophoretic mobility and hydrophobicity as a measured to predict the initial steps of bacterial adhesion. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1987;53:1898-901 pubmed..At high growth rates, bacterial cells tend to become more hydrophobic. This fact can be of ecological significance for controlling the spread of bacteria throughout the environment. ..
- Sabba F, Picioreanu C, Nerenberg R. Mechanisms of nitrous oxide (N2 O) formation and reduction in denitrifying biofilms. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2753-2761 pubmed publisher..This leads to zones of N2 O formation or consumption transformations that would not exist in suspended growth systems. ..
- Dhawan V, Rajashekaraiah K, Metzger W, Rice T, Kallick C. Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis due to a group IIk-2 strain. J Clin Microbiol. 1980;11:492-5 pubmed..This paper describes a patient with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis caused by a group IIk-2 strain. No other organism was isolated from the peritoneal fluid cultured aerobically and anaerobically. ..
- Napolitano L, Koruda M, Zimmerman K, McCowan K, Chang J, Meyer A. Chronic ethanol intake and burn injury: evidence for synergistic alteration in gut and immune integrity. J Trauma. 1995;38:198-207 pubmed..These results suggest that this EtOH-induced reduction in immunocompetence may be gut-mediated and that the administration of alcohol prior to injury may result in a synergistic alteration of gut and immune integrity. ..
- Salaheldin H, Almalki M, Osman G. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using bovine skin gelatin and its antibacterial effect on clinical bacterial isolates. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:420-425 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Ag-NPs capped by gelatin have remarkable potential effect as an antibacterial agent, and they not only have various medical applications but can also be used in biological, pharmaceutical and industrial fields. ..
- Kelkawi A, Abbasi Kajani A, Bordbar A. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Mentha pulegium and investigation of their antibacterial, antifungal and anticancer activity. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:370-376 pubmed publisher..Overall results indicated high potential of M. pulegium extract to synthesis high quality AgNPs for biomedical applications. ..
- Karut K, Mete Karaca M, Döker I, Kazak C. Analysis of Species, Subgroups, and Endosymbionts of Bemisia tabaci (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) From Southwestern Cotton Fields in Turkey. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:1035-1040 pubmed publisher..We also found that the symbiont complement of the Q1 is more congruent with Q1 from Greece than other regions of the world, which may have some interesting implications for movement of this invasive subgroup...
- Clasen J, Shurin J. Kelp forest size alters microbial community structure and function on Vancouver Island, Canada. Ecology. 2015;96:862-72 pubmed
- Granja Salcedo Y, Ramirez Uscategui R, Machado E, Duarte Messana J, Takeshi Kishi L, Lino Dias A, et al. Studies on bacterial community composition are affected by the time and storage method of the rumen content. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176701 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the storage method can influence the abundance of phyla, classes, and bacterial families studied in rumen samples and affect the richness and diversity index. ..
- Hassett D, Cohen M. Bacterial adaptation to oxidative stress: implications for pathogenesis and interaction with phagocytic cells. FASEB J. 1989;3:2574-82 pubmed..Resistance and adaptation to phagocyte-derived oxidant stress are critical aspects of bacterial pathogenesis. ..
- Scannapieco F. Saliva-bacterium interactions in oral microbial ecology. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1994;5:203-48 pubmed
- Shank E. Using coculture to detect chemically mediated interspecies interactions. J Vis Exp. 2013;:e50863 pubmed publisher..We developed this method to screen for soil organisms that activate biofilm matrix-production in Bacillus subtilis; however, we also discuss considerations for applying this approach to other genetically tractable bacteria. ..
- Kalwasińska A, Felföldi T, Walczak M, Kosobucki P. Physiology and Molecular Phylogeny of Bacteria Isolated from Alkaline Distillery Lime. Pol J Microbiol. 2015;64:369-77 pubmed..Twelve strains exhibited ?-glucosidase activity and nine, naphtol-AS-BI-phosphohydrolase activity. The present study proves that alkaliphilic bacteria of this type may constitute a source of potentially useful extremozymes. ..
- Choudhury P, Prasad Uday U, Bandyopadhyay T, Ray R, Bhunia B. Performance improvement of microbial fuel cell (MFC) using suitable electrode and Bioengineered organisms: A review. Bioengineered. 2017;8:471-487 pubmed publisher..This would give a comprehensive insight into the characteristics, options, modifications, and evaluations of these parameters and their effects on process development of MFCs. ..
- Nadaroğlu H, Onem H, Alayli Gungor A. Green synthesis of Ce2O3 NPs and determination of its antioxidant activity. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:411-419 pubmed publisher..It could be concluded that Euphorbia (E. amygdaloides) extract can be used efficiently in the production of potential antioxidant and anti-bacterial Ce2O3 NPs for commercial applications. ..
- Maqbool Q, Iftikhar S, Nazar M, Abbas F, Saleem A, Hussain T, et al. Green fabricated CuO nanobullets via Olea europaea leaf extract shows auspicious antimicrobial potential. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:463-468 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, reduction of various precursors by plant extract will reduce environmental impact over chemical synthesis. ..
- Ohkuma M, Hongoh Y, Noda S. [Symbiotic complex in the termite gut microbial community]. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso. 2008;53:1841-9 pubmed
- Abeynayaka H, Asaeda T, Kaneko Y. Buoyancy Limitation of Filamentous Cyanobacteria under Prolonged Pressure due to the Gas Vesicles Collapse. Environ Manage. 2017;60:293-303 pubmed publisher..Observations and findings of the study indicate the potential application of hydrostatic pressure, which naturally occurred in hypolimnion of lakes, to inhibit the re-suspension of cyanobacteria cells. ..
- Mei X, Xing D, Yang Y, Liu Q, Zhou H, Guo C, et al. Adaptation of microbial community of the anode biofilm in microbial fuel cells to temperature. Bioelectrochemistry. 2017;117:29-33 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that temperature plays an important role in shaping microbial communities of the anode biofilms in MFCs through changes in species evenness. ..
- Wypij M, Golinska P, Dahm H, Rai M. Actinobacterial-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their activity against pathogenic bacteria. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:336-342 pubmed publisher..The antimicrobial efficacy of antibiotics was found to be enhanced in the presence of AgNPs. ..
- Lee D, Prindle A, Liu J, Süel G. SnapShot: Electrochemical Communication in Biofilms. Cell. 2017;170:214-214.e1 pubmed publisher..These recent works are defining the emerging field of bacterial biofilm electrophysiology. To view this SnapShot, open or download the PDF. ..