Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cleavage of proteins into smaller peptides or amino acids either by PROTEASES or non-enzymatically (e.g., Hydrolysis). It does not include Protein Processing, Post-Translational.
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Metz P, Chiramel A, Chatel Chaix L, Alvisi G, Bankhead P, Mora Rodriguez R, et al. Dengue Virus Inhibition of Autophagic Flux and Dependency of Viral Replication on Proteasomal Degradation of the Autophagy Receptor p62. J Virol. 2015;89:8026-41 pubmed..These results suggest that during DENV infection autophagy shifts from a proviral to an antiviral cellular process, which is counteracted by the virus. ..
- Smith G, Fearnley G, Tomlinson D, Harrison M, Ponnambalam S. The cellular response to vascular endothelial growth factors requires co-ordinated signal transduction, trafficking and proteolysis. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..Balancing VEGFR-VEGF signal transduction with trafficking and proteolysis is essential in controlling the intensity and duration of different intracellular signalling events...
- Chen J, Shi H, Chen Y, Fan S, Liu D, Li C. DNA damage induces expression of WWP1 to target ?Np63? to degradation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176142 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates a novel pathway which regulates ?Np63?upon cellular response to chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Petchiappan A, Chatterji D. Pup recycling regulates the proteasome. FEBS J. 2017;284:1787-1789 pubmed publisher..In this issue of The FEBS Journal, Gur and colleagues combine experimental and modelling analyses to show how the PPS maintains steady-state levels of protein pupylation and consequently tightly controlled protein degradation. ..
- Schwebach C, Agrawal R, Lindert S, Kudryashova E, Kudryashov D. The Roles of Actin-Binding Domains 1 and 2 in the Calcium-Dependent Regulation of Actin Filament Bundling by Human Plastins. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2490-2508 pubmed publisher..Using limited proteolysis and mass spectrometry, we found that in the presence of Ca2+ the EF-hands of human plastins bound to ..
- Cheng J, Ye F, Dan G, Zhao Y, Zhao J, Zou Z. Formation and degradation of nitrogen mustard-induced MGMT-DNA crosslinking in 16HBE cells. Toxicology. 2017;389:67-73 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated the control of mDPC level could be realized through transcription inhibitory effect of c-Myc, O6GB application, and the acceleration of mDPC ubiquitination and subsequent degradation. ..
- Soltes G, Martin N, Park E, Sutterlin H, Silhavy T. Distinctive Roles for Periplasmic Proteases in the Maintenance of Essential Outer Membrane Protein Assembly. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..These quality control factors help ensure the integrity of the permeability barrier that contributes to the intrinsic resistance of Gram-negative organisms to many antibiotics. ..
- Greer A, Wu N, Putnam A, Woodruff P, Wolters P, Kinet J, et al. Serum IgE clearance is facilitated by human Fc?RI internalization. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:1187-98 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly suggest that constitutive internalization of human Fc?RI by DCs and monocytes distinctively contributes to serum IgE clearance. ..
- Johansson M, Lundh Å, de Vries R, Sjaunja K. Composition and enzymatic activity in bulk milk from dairy farms with conventional or robotic milking systems. J Dairy Res. 2017;84:154-158 pubmed publisher..caseins and whey proteins, somatic cell count (SCC), pH, plasmin and plasminogen derived activities, and total proteolysis. Our results showed a lower protein content and higher SCC in bulk milk from AMS herds compared with milk from ..
- Yoshizaki K, Hu L, Nguyen T, Sakai K, Ishikawa M, Takahashi I, et al. Mediator 1 contributes to enamel mineralization as a coactivator for Notch1 signaling and stimulates transcription of the alkaline phosphatase gene. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13531-13540 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MED1 may be essential for enamel matrix mineralization by serving as a coactivator for Notch1 signaling regulating transcription of the Alpl gene. ..
- Fukai Y, Ohsawa Y, Ohtsubo H, Nishimatsu S, Hagiwara H, Noda M, et al. Cleavage of ?-dystroglycan occurs in sarcoglycan-deficient skeletal muscle without MMP-2 and MMP-9. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;492:199-205 pubmed publisher..Thus, matrix metalloproteinases contributing to ?-dystroglycan cleavage are redundant, and MMP-14 could participate in the pathogenesis of sarcoglycanopathy. ..
- Saad S, Cereghetti G, Feng Y, Picotti P, Peter M, Dechant R. Reversible protein aggregation is a protective mechanism to ensure cell cycle restart after stress. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1202-1213 pubmed publisher..Several other enzymes necessary for G1 progression also contain LCRs and aggregate reversibly during stress, implying that reversible aggregation represents a conserved mechanism regulating cell growth and survival. ..
- Correa Marrero M, van Dijk A, de Ridder D. Sequence-based analysis of protein degradation rates. Proteins. 2017;85:1593-1601 pubmed publisher..This analysis serves as a first step towards the development of more complex, mature computational models of degradation of proteins and eventually of their full life cycle. Proteins 2017; 85:1593-1601. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Lee H, Park Y, Kim S. Enzymatic Cross-Linking of Side Chains Generates a Modified Peptide with Four Hairpin-like Bicyclic Repeats. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4927-4930 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the enzymatic cross-linking of peptide side chains can generate more diverse structures in nature or by engineering...
- Kobayashi H, Otsubo T, Teraoka F, Ikeda K, Seike S, Takahashi E, et al. Involvement of the Arg566 residue of Aeromonas sobria serine protease in substrate specificity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186392 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that the Arg-566 residue of ASP is likely responsible for the selection of substrates. ..
- Fan W, Fan S, Feng J, Xiao D, Fan S, Luo J. Elevated expression of HSP10 protein inhibits apoptosis and associates with poor prognosis of astrocytoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185563 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that elevated expression of HSP10 protein inhibits apoptosis and associates with poor prognosis of astrocytoma. ..
- Perneczky R, Alexopoulos P, Kurz A. Soluble amyloid precursor proteins and secretases as Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Trends Mol Med. 2014;20:8-15 pubmed..Here we review evidence on the APP processing enzymes and their cleavage products and discuss possible applications and limitations in their use as AD biomarkers. ..
- Tanenbaum M, Stern Ginossar N, Weissman J, Vale R. Regulation of mRNA translation during mitosis. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results identify gene-specific translational repression as a means of controlling the mitotic proteome, which may complement post-translational mechanisms for inactivating protein function. ..
- Cortés A, Sotillo J, Muñoz Antoli C, Molina Durán J, Esteban J, Toledo R. Antibody trapping: A novel mechanism of parasite immune evasion by the trematode Echinostoma caproni. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005773 pubmed publisher..This mechanism of immune evasion may aid to understand the limited effect that antibody responses have in helminth infections, and may contribute to the basis for vaccine development against these highly prevalent diseases. ..
- Genovese G, Carugo A, TEPPER J, Robinson F, Li L, Svelto M, et al. Synthetic vulnerabilities of mesenchymal subpopulations in pancreatic cancer. Nature. 2017;542:362-366 pubmed publisher..These molecular and biological insights inform a potential therapeutic strategy for targeting aggressive mesenchymal features of PDAC. ..
- Xiao B, Deng X, Lim G, Zhou W, Saw W, Zhou Z, et al. p62-Mediated mitochondrial clustering attenuates apoptosis induced by mitochondrial depolarization. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1308-1317 pubmed publisher..Together, our study demonstrates a protective role of mitochondrial clustering in mitophagy and helps in understanding how aggregation defends cells against stress. ..
- Su C, Liu Z, Wang Y, Wang Y, Song E, Song Y. The electrophilic character of quinones is essential for the suppression of Bach1. Toxicology. 2017;387:17-26 pubmed publisher..Taking together, our investigation illustrated that the electrophilic character of quinones ensure their conjugation with Bach1, which is important for the downregulation of Bach1 and the upregulation of Nrf2 signaling. ..
- Shi G, Somlo D, Kim G, Prescianotto Baschong C, Sun S, Beuret N, et al. ER-associated degradation is required for vasopressin prohormone processing and systemic water homeostasis. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3897-3912 pubmed publisher..This study highlights a pathway linking ERAD to prohormone conformational maturation in neuroendocrine cells, expanding the role of ERAD in providing a conducive ER environment for nascent proteins to reach proper conformation. ..
- Sato K, Mera H, Wakitani S, Takagi M. Effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on the increase in type II collagen accumulation in cartilage-like MSC sheets. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1241-1245 pubmed publisher..Taken together, EGCG may enhance the accumulation of type II collagen by suppressing type II collagen degradation. ..
- Lakatos E, Salehi Reyhani A, Barclay M, Stumpf M, Klug D. Protein degradation rate is the dominant mechanism accounting for the differences in protein abundance of basal p53 in a human breast and colorectal cancer cell line. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177336 pubmed publisher..This is supported by measurements of the relative average levels of mRNA which are very similar despite large variation in the level of protein. ..
- Leestemaker Y, de Jong A, Witting K, Penning R, Schuurman K, Rodenko B, et al. Proteasome Activation by Small Molecules. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:725-736.e7 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the potential of activation of 26S proteasome activity and that this can be achieved through multiple mechanisms by distinct molecules. ..
- Radli M, Veprintsev D, Rüdiger S. Production and purification of human Hsp90? in Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180047 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that our results provide a useful tool to produce higher amount of pure, well-folded and stable recombinant human Hsp90? in Escherichia coli in an efficient way. ..
- Winter G, Mayer A, Buckley D, Erb M, Roderick J, Vittori S, et al. BET Bromodomain Proteins Function as Master Transcription Elongation Factors Independent of CDK9 Recruitment. Mol Cell. 2017;67:5-18.e19 pubmed publisher..These studies, performed in translational models of T cell leukemia, establish a mechanism-based rationale for the development of BET bromodomain degradation as cancer therapy. ..
- López Jiménez A, Basak T, Vanacore R. Proteolytic processing of lysyl oxidase-like-2 in the extracellular matrix is required for crosslinking of basement membrane collagen IV. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16970-16982 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that proteolytic processing is an important event that allows LOXL2-mediated crosslinking of basement membrane collagen IV. ..
- Moriya T, Yamamura M, Kiga D. Effects of downstream genes on synthetic genetic circuits. BMC Syst Biol. 2014;8 Suppl 4:S4 pubmed publisher..This design will have wide applications in future studies of systems and synthetic biology. ..
- Zuroff L, Daley D, Black K, Koronyo Hamaoui M. Clearance of cerebral A? in Alzheimer's disease: reassessing the role of microglia and monocytes. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:2167-2201 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the literature on cellular and molecular mechanisms of cerebral A? clearance with an emphasis on the role of peripheral monocytes and macrophages in A? removal. ..
- Erb U, Zhao K, Wang Z, Xiao L, ZÃ¶ller M. Murine and human pancreatic tumor exosome recovery in mouse serum: Diagnostic and prognostic potential and target cell delivery. Cancer Lett. 2017;403:1-12 pubmed publisher..In murine models, S-TEX are qualified for therapy control and follow-up studies. Despite rapid clearance from the serum, Exo uptake by host cells is most promising for tailored Exo as drug transporter. ..
- Fang S, Wang R, Liu H, Zhuang W, Wang Z, Zhang J, et al. The retention of prion protein in the endoplasmic reticulum prevents N2A cells from proteasome inhibition-induced cytotoxicity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:500-507 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the ER is not a compartment in which wild type PrPC is able to initiate aggregation, protease resistance or other scapie-like properties of PrP. ..
- Zhang H, Shi J, Hachet M, Xue C, Bauer R, Jiang H, et al. CRISPR/Cas9-Mediated Gene Editing in Human iPSC-Derived Macrophage Reveals Lysosomal Acid Lipase Function in Human Macrophages-Brief Report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:2156-2160 pubmed publisher..CRISPR/Cas9 and IPSDM provide important tools to study human macrophage biology and more broadly for future studies of disease-associated LIPA genetic variation in human macrophages. ..
- Kumar S, Nakashizuka H, Jones A, Lambert A, Zhao X, Shen M, et al. Proteolytic Degradation and Inflammation Play Critical Roles in Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:2841-2857 pubmed publisher..This study provides a basis for understanding the differences between PCV and choroidal neovascularization, and helps guide the design of effective therapies for PCV. ..
- Cheng Q, Yuan Y, Li L, Guo T, Miao Y, Ren Y, et al. Deubiquitinase USP33 is negatively regulated by ?-TrCP through ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis. Exp Cell Res. 2017;356:1-7 pubmed publisherUbiquitin-mediated proteolysis regulates cellular levels of various proteins, and therefore plays important roles in controlling cell signaling and disease progression...
- QuirÃ³s P, Prado M, Zamboni N, D Amico D, Williams R, Finley D, et al. Multi-omics analysis identifies ATF4 as a key regulator of the mitochondrial stress response in mammals. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2027-2045 pubmed publisher..Our data illustrate the value of a multiomics approach to characterize complex cellular networks and provide a versatile resource to identify new regulators of mitochondrial-related diseases. ..
- Nishimura S, Inai M, Takagi T, Nonaka Y, Urashima S, Honda K, et al. Preventive Effects of the Dietary Intake of Medium-chain Triacylglycerols on Immobilization-induced Muscle Atrophy in Rats. J Oleo Sci. 2017;66:917-924 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that the dietary intake of MCTs at least partly alleviates immobilization-induced muscle atrophy by inhibiting the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. ..
- Hope C, Emmerich P, Papadas A, Pagenkopf A, Matkowskyj K, Van De Hey D, et al. Versican-Derived Matrikines Regulate Batf3-Dendritic Cell Differentiation and Promote T Cell Infiltration in Colorectal Cancer. J Immunol. 2017;199:1933-1941 pubmed publisher..In this article, we report that proteolysis of the tolerogenic matrix proteoglycan versican (VCAN) strongly correlated with CD8+ T cell ..
- Bugge M, Bergstrom B, Eide O, Solli H, Kjønstad I, Stenvik J, et al. Surface Toll-like receptor 3 expression in metastatic intestinal epithelial cells induces inflammatory cytokine production and promotes invasiveness. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15408-15425 pubmed publisher..We conclude that altered TLR3 expression and localization may have implications for cancer progression. ..
- Chen F, Zhang C, Wu H, Ma Y, Luo X, Gong X, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase SCFFBXL14 complex stimulates neuronal differentiation by targeting the Notch signaling factor HES1 for proteolysis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:20100-20112 pubmed publisher..HES1 oscillation is driven by both transcriptional self-repression and ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis. However, the E3 ubiquitin ligase targeting HES1 for proteolysis remains unclear...
- Xiang J, Yang H, Zhao T, Sun M, Xu X, Zhou X, et al. Huntingtin-associated protein 1 regulates postnatal neurogenesis and neurotrophin receptor sorting. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:85-98 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that intracellular sorting of neurotrophin receptors is critical for postnatal neurogenesis and could provide a therapeutic target for defective postnatal neurogenesis. ..
- Peters O, Ghasemi M, Brown R. Emerging mechanisms of molecular pathology in ALS. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:1767-79 pubmed publisher..The rapidity of progress in ALS genetics and the subsequent acquisition of insights into the molecular biology of these genes provide grounds for optimism that meaningful therapies for ALS are attainable. ..
- Zhang S, Chen Q, Liu Q, Li Y, Sun X, Hong L, et al. Hippo Signaling Suppresses Cell Ploidy and Tumorigenesis through Skp2. Cancer Cell. 2017;31:669-684.e7 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that Hippo-Yap signaling suppresses cell polyploidy and oncogenesis through Skp2. ..
- Zhang S, Zhang C, Qiao Y, Xing L, Kang D, Khan I, et al. Effect of Flavourzyme on proteolysis, antioxidant activity and sensory qualities of Cantonese bacon. Food Chem. 2017;237:779-785 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that Flavourzyme addition in Cantonese bacon promoted proteolysis, which was reflected by the increase of various free amino acids and SDS-PAGE-detected changes in the myogen ..
- VerPlank J, Goldberg A. Regulating protein breakdown through proteasome phosphorylation. Biochem J. 2017;474:3355-3371 pubmed publisher..However, further research is essential to determine how phosphorylation of different subunits by these (or other) kinases alters the properties of this complex molecular machine and thus influence protein degradation rates. ..
- Popov S, Guseinov R, Martov A, Muratov T, Tabynbaev N. [Molecular and cellular mechanisms of damage to renal parenchyma in renal warm ischemia]. Urologiia. 2017;:79-84 pubmed..However, despite the advances in understanding the pathogenesis of cell damage, including ischemic-hypoxic injury, the problem of intraoperative ischemia-reperfusion safety remains relevant. ..
- Welner D, Tsai A, DeGiovanni A, Scheller H, Adams P. X-ray diffraction analysis and in vitro characterization of the UAM2 protein from Oryza sativa. Acta Crystallogr F Struct Biol Commun. 2017;73:241-245 pubmed publisher..Using size-exclusion chromatography, it is shown that the protein is monomeric in solution. Finally, limited proteolysis was employed to demonstrate DTT-enhanced proteolytic digestion, indicating the existence of at least one ..
- Lu W, Cheng F, Yan W, Li X, Yao X, Song W, et al. Selective targeting p53WT lung cancer cells harboring homozygous p53 Arg72 by an inhibitor of CypA. Oncogene. 2017;36:4719-4731 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study demonstrates that pharmacologic inhibition of CypA offers a potential therapeutic strategy via specific activation of p53-72R in NSCLC. ..
- LÅ‘rincz P, TÃ³th S, BenkÅ‘ P, Lakatos Z, Boda A, Glatz G, et al. Rab2 promotes autophagic and endocytic lysosomal degradation. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1937-1947 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that RAB2A is required for autophagosome clearance in human breast cancer cells. In conclusion, we identify Rab2 as a key factor for autophagic and endocytic cargo delivery to and degradation in lysosomes. ..
- Kim K, Ryu D, Dongiovanni P, Ozcan L, Nayak S, Ueberheide B, et al. Degradation of PHLPP2 by KCTD17, via a Glucagon-Dependent Pathway, Promotes Hepatic Steatosis. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1568-1580.e10 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of this pathway might be developed for treatment of patients with NAFLD. ..
- Li J, Lam W, Lai T, Au S. Degradation of nuclear Ubc9 induced by listeriolysin O is dependent on K+ efflux. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1115-1121 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study provides insights to the understanding of host-pathogen interactions. ..
- Séry Q, Rabé M, Oliver L, Vallette F, Gratas C. HB-EGF is associated with DNA damage and Mcl-1 turnover in human glioma cell lines treated by Temozolomide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1377-1383 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a new role for HB-EGF in TMZ treated cell lines...
- Huang C, Lee Y, Li P, Liliang P, Lu K, Wang K, et al. TDP-43 proteolysis is associated with astrocyte reactivity after traumatic brain injury in rodents. J Neuroimmunol. 2017;313:61-68 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we evaluated TDP-43 expression and proteolysis in astrocytes in a rat model of TBI...
- Bischof J, Westhoff M, Wagner J, Halatsch M, Trentmann S, Knippschild U, et al. Cancer stem cells: The potential role of autophagy, proteolysis, and cathepsins in glioblastoma stem cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317692227 pubmed publisher..Consequently, strategies targeting these pathways in glioblastoma stem cells are promising approaches to interfere with tumor cell survival and will be discussed in this review. ..
- Uehara T, Minoshima Y, Sagane K, Sugi N, Mitsuhashi K, Yamamoto N, et al. Selective degradation of splicing factor CAPERÎ± by anticancer sulfonamides. Nat Chem Biol. 2017;13:675-680 pubmed publisher..Thus, these sulfonamides represent selective chemical probes for disrupting CAPERÎ± function and designate DCAFs as promising drug targets for promoting selective protein degradation in cancer therapy. ..
- Tsuchiya H, Ohtake F, Arai N, Kaiho A, Yasuda S, Tanaka K, et al. In Vivo Ubiquitin Linkage-type Analysis Reveals that the Cdc48-Rad23/Dsk2 Axis Contributes to K48-Linked Chain Specificity of the Proteasome. Mol Cell. 2017;66:488-502.e7 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results provide an overall picture of the ubiquitin network via UBD proteins and identify the Cdc48-Rad23/Dsk2 axis as a major route to the proteasome. ..
- Parrell D, Zhang Y, Olenic S, Kroos L. Bacillus subtilis Intramembrane Protease RasP Activity in Escherichia coli and In Vitro. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..coli, providing evidence that both substrates are cleaved by RasP in vivo but, surprisingly, that only RsiW was cleaved in vitro, suggesting that FtsL has an additional requirement. ..
- Flack J, Mieszczanek J, Novcic N, Bienz M. Wnt-Dependent Inactivation of the Groucho/TLE Co-repressor by the HECT E3Â Ubiquitin Ligase Hyd/UBR5. Mol Cell. 2017;67:181-193.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, Groucho/TLE ubiquitylation by Hyd/UBR5 is a key prerequisite that enables Armadillo/Î²-catenin to activate transcription. ..
- Wang W, Xia Z, FarrÃ© J, Subramani S. TRIM37, a novel E3 ligase for PEX5-mediated peroxisomal matrix protein import. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2843-2858 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TRIM37-mediated ubiquitylation stabilizes PEX5 and promotes peroxisomal matrix protein import, suggesting that mulibrey nanism is a new PBD. ..
- Wang L, Wagner L, Alzayady K, Yule D. Region-specific proteolysis differentially regulates type 1 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor activity. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11714-11726 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that proteolysis of IP3R1 may represent a novel form of modulation of IP3R1 channel function and increases ..
- Raina K, Crews C. Targeted protein knockdown using small molecule degraders. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2017;39:46-53 pubmed publisher..These molecules, especially the class known as Proteolysis Targeting Chimera (PROTACs), represent a paradigm shift in chemical genetics, but their most tantalizing ..
- Feng Q, Jagannathan S, Bradley R. The RNA Surveillance Factor UPF1 Represses Myogenesis via Its E3 Ubiquitin Ligase Activity. Mol Cell. 2017;67:239-251.e6 pubmed publisher..Our data characterize a regulatory role for UPF1 in myogenesis, and they demonstrate that UPF1 provides a mechanistic link between the RNA and protein decay machineries in human cells. ..
- Ng C, Fidock D, Bogyo M. Protein Degradation Systems as Antimalarial Therapeutic Targets. Trends Parasitol. 2017;33:731-743 pubmed publisher..We also highlight the potential for targeting other nonproteasomal protein degradation systems as an additional strategy to disrupt protein homeostasis. ..
- Zhao L, Zhang P, Su X, Zhang B. The ubiquitin ligase TRIM56 inhibits ovarian cancer progression by targeting vimentin. J Cell Physiol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Cumulatively, our data reveals for the first time a novel post-translational regulatory mechanism of regulating vimentin expression, EMT, and metastatic progression in ovarian cancer cells. ..
- Tawo R, Pokrzywa W, Kevei E, Akyuz M, Balaji V, Adrian S, et al. The Ubiquitin Ligase CHIP Integrates Proteostasis and Aging by Regulation of Insulin Receptor Turnover. Cell. 2017;169:470-482.e13 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates a competitive relationship between proteostasis and longevity regulation through CHIP-assisted proteolysis, providing a mechanistic concept for understanding the impact of proteome imbalance on aging.
- Wei Y, Diao L, Lu S, Wang H, Suo F, Dong M, et al. SUMO-Targeted DNA Translocase Rrp2 Protects the Genome from Top2-Induced DNA Damage. Mol Cell. 2017;66:581-596.e6 pubmed publisher..The budding yeast homolog of Rrp2, Uls1, plays a similar role, indicating that this genome protection mechanism is widely employed, a finding with implications for cancer treatment. ..
- Bottani E, Cerutti R, Harbour M, Ravaglia S, Doğan S, Giordano C, et al. TTC19 Plays a Husbandry Role on UQCRFS1 Turnover in the Biogenesis of Mitochondrial Respiratory Complex III. Mol Cell. 2017;67:96-105.e4 pubmed publisher..We show that, in normal conditions, these UQCRFS1 fragments are rapidly removed, but when TTC19 is absent they accumulate within complex III, causing its structural and functional impairment. ..
- Lagedroste M, Smits S, Schmitt L. Substrate Specificity of the Secreted Nisin Leader Peptidase NisP. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4005-4014 pubmed publisher..Thus, NisPs has a sequence-based cleavage activity, and the presence of at least one lanthionine ring is crucial for optimal substrate recognition and subsequent cleavage...
- Fu Y, Wu P, Pan Y, Sun X, Yang H, DiFiglia M, et al. A toxic mutant huntingtin species is resistant to selective autophagy. Nat Chem Biol. 2017;13:1152-1154 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the 3B5H10-recognized mHTT species has a slower degradation rate due to its resistance to selective autophagy in human cells and brains, revealing mechanisms of its higher toxicity. ..
- Yamashita N, Joshi R, Zhang S, Zhang Z, Kuruvilla R. Phospho-Regulation of Soma-to-Axon Transcytosis of Neurotrophin Receptors. Dev Cell. 2017;42:626-639.e5 pubmed publisher..In mice, PTP1B deletion reduces axonal TrkA levels and attenuates neuron survival and target innervation under limiting NGF (NGF+/-) conditions. ..
- Hesketh G, Youn J, Samavarchi Tehrani P, Raught B, Gingras A. Parallel Exploration of Interaction Space by BioID and Affinity Purification Coupled to Mass Spectrometry. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1550:115-136 pubmed publisher..Here we describe the parallel implementation of both BioID and FLAG AP-MS allowing simultaneous exploration of both spatial and temporal aspects of protein interaction networks. ..
- Cuenco J, Minnion J, Tan T, Scott R, Germain N, Ling Y, et al. Degradation Paradigm of the Gut Hormone, Pancreatic Polypeptide, by Hepatic and Renal Peptidases. Endocrinology. 2017;158:1755-1765 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that inhibiting the degradation of PP using specific inhibitors and/or the design of analogs resistant to cleavage by DPPIV and NEP might be useful in the development of PP as an anti-obesity pharmacotherapy...
- Hahn F, Schmalen A, Setz C, Friedrich M, Schlößer S, Kölle J, et al. Proteolysis of mature HIV-1 p6 Gag protein by the insulin-degrading enzyme (IDE) regulates virus replication in an Env-dependent manner. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174254 pubmed publisher..Our cumulative data support a model in which removal of p6 during viral entry is important for virus replication, at least in the case of X4 tropic HIV-1. ..
- Qian S, Fan W, Liu T, Wu M, Zhang H, Cui X, et al. Seneca Valley Virus Suppresses Host Type I Interferon Production by Targeting Adaptor Proteins MAVS, TRIF, and TANK for Cleavage. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..We also found that SVV is sensitive to IFN-Î². These findings increase our understanding of the interaction between SVV and host innate immunity. ..
- Zhao L, Fan J, Xia S, Pan Y, Liu S, Qian G, et al. HMG-CoA synthase 1 is a synthetic lethal partner of BRAFV600E in human cancers. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10142-10152 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the ketogenic HMGCS1-HMGCL-acetoacetate axis may represent a promising therapeutic target for managing BRAFV600E-positive human cancers. ..
- Grillo F, Bruzzone M, Pigozzi S, Prosapio S, Migliora P, Fiocca R, et al. Immunohistochemistry on old archival paraffin blocks: is there an expiry date?. J Clin Pathol. 2017;70:988-993 pubmed publisher..In order to test possible antigen recovery, deep sectioning and lengthening of heat pretreatment were applied. Both strategies partially recover antigenicity, but their simultaneous application shows the best results. ..
- Pezeshkpoor B, Schreck U, Biswas A, Driesen J, Berkemeier A, Pavlova A, et al. An in silico and in vitro approach to elucidate the impact of residues flanking the cleavage scissile bonds of FVIII. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180456 pubmed publisherCoagulation Factor VIII is activated by an ordered limited thrombin proteolysis with different catalytic efficiency at three P1 Arginine residues: Arg759> Arg1708>Arg391, indicating the flanking residues of the latter to be less ..
- Worden E, Dong K, Martin A. An AAA Motor-Driven Mechanical Switch in Rpn11 Controls Deubiquitination at the 26S Proteasome. Mol Cell. 2017;67:799-811.e8 pubmed publisher..The AAA+ motor-driven acceleration of Rpn11 is therefore important to ensure that poly-ubiquitin chains are removed only from committed substrates and fast enough to prevent their co-degradation. ..