Summary: A physiochemical process which occurs in a wide range of organisms which unlike BASAL METABOLISM is not required for or essential to short-term survivability but to long-term general well-being of the organism.
- Tan F, Tu H, Liang W, Long J, Wu X, Zhang H, et al. Comparative metabolic and transcriptional analysis of a doubled diploid and its diploid citrus rootstock (C. junos cv. Ziyang xiangcheng) suggests its potential value for stress resistance improvement. BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:89 pubmed publisher..Compared to diploid, higher expression level of stress related genes and higher content of stress related metabolites in doubled diploid could be beneficial for its stress tolerance. ..
- de Vries R, Riley R, Wiebenga A, Aguilar Osorio G, Amillis S, Uchima C, et al. Comparative genomics reveals high biological diversity and specific adaptations in the industrially and medically important fungal genus Aspergillus. Genome Biol. 2017;18:28 pubmed publisher..Comparative studies of key aspects of fungal biology, including primary and secondary metabolism, stress response, biomass degradation, and signal transduction, revealed both conservation and diversity ..
- Seifbarghi S, Borhan M, Wei Y, Coutu C, Robinson S, Hegedus D. Changes in the Sclerotinia sclerotiorum transcriptome during infection of Brassica napus. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:266 pubmed publisher..napus by S. sclerotiorum and provides information for further characterization of genes involved in the S. sclerotiorum-host plant interactions. ..
- Gong X, Feng S, Zhao J, Tang C, Tian L, Fan Y, et al. StPBS2, a MAPK kinase gene, is involved in determining hyphal morphology, cell wall development, hypertonic stress reaction as well as the production of secondary metabolites in Northern Corn Leaf Blight pathogen Setosphaeria turcica. Microbiol Res. 2017;201:30-38 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that StPBS2 is involved in morphogenesis, condiogenesis, cell wall development, hypertonic stress reaction and resistance to fungicides, as well as in the biosynthesis of secondary metabolites in S. turcica. ..
- Pande S, Kost C. Bacterial Unculturability and the Formation of Intercellular Metabolic Networks. Trends Microbiol. 2017;25:349-361 pubmed publisher..Thus, bacteria likely function as networks of interacting cells that reciprocally exchange nutrients and biochemical functions rather than as physiologically autonomous units. ..
- Siwinska J, Kadziński L, Banasiuk R, Gwizdek Wisniewska A, Olry A, Banecki B, et al. Identification of QTLs affecting scopolin and scopoletin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Plant Biol. 2014;14:280 pubmed publisher..It additionally provides a basis for fine mapping and cloning of the genes involved in scopolin and scopoletin biosynthesis. Importantly, we have identified new loci for this biosynthetic process. ..
- Abouzid S, Ahmed H, Moawad A, Owis A, Chen S, Nachtergael A, et al. Chemotaxonomic and biosynthetic relationships between flavonolignans produced by Silybum marianum populations. Fitoterapia. 2017;119:175-184 pubmed publisher..marianum. The predominance of silybins A & B over isosilybin A & B in the silybin-rich samples is discussed in light of the relative stabilities of their respective radical flavonoid biosynthetic intermediates. ..
- Adekenov S. Sesquiterpene lactones with unusual structure. Their biogenesis and biological activity. Fitoterapia. 2017;121:16-30 pubmed publisher..An attempt was made to biologically justify a wide structural formation variety of new sesquiterpene lactones with the unique structure. ..
- Cetin E, Babalik Z, Hallac Turk F, Gokturk Baydar N. The effects of cadmium chloride on secondary metabolite production in Vitis vinifera cv. cell suspension cultures. Biol Res. 2014;47:47 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, secondary metabolite contents were increased by cadmium chloride application and sampling time, while dry cell weights was reduced by cadmium chloride treatments. ..
- Paupière M, Muller F, Li H, Rieu I, Tikunov Y, Visser R, et al. Untargeted metabolomic analysis of tomato pollen development and heat stress response. Plant Reprod. 2017;30:81-94 pubmed publisher..The biological role of the detected metabolites is discussed. This study provides the first untargeted metabolomic analysis of developing pollen under a changing environment that can serve as reference for further studies. ..
- Wu Q, Sun R, Ni M, Yu J, Li Y, Yu C, et al. Identification of a novel fungus, Trichoderma asperellum GDFS1009, and comprehensive evaluation of its biocontrol efficacy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179957 pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on these antimicrobial metabolites for facilitating widespread application in the field of agricultural bio-control. ..
- Xiang M, Zhang L, Lu Y, Tang Q, Liang P, Shi X, et al. A P-glycoprotein gene serves as a component of the protective mechanisms against 2-tridecanone and abamectin in Helicoverpa armigera. Gene. 2017;627:63-71 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the possible involvement of HaPgp1 as a component of the protective mechanisms to plant secondary chemicals such as 2-tridecanone and to certain classes of insecticides, like abamectin. ..
- Haque F, Banayan S, Yee J, Chiang Y. Extraction and applications of cyanotoxins and other cyanobacterial secondary metabolites. Chemosphere. 2017;183:164-175 pubmed publisher..It becomes evident that the potential for their use as biocides, chelators, biofuels, biofertilizers, pharmaceuticals, food and feed, and cosmetics has not yet been comprehensively studied or extensively implemented. ..
- Myers R, Smith T, Elsawa S, Puel O, Tadrist S, Calvo A. rtfA controls development, secondary metabolism, and virulence in Aspergillus fumigatus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176702 pubmed publisher..work has shown that the rtfA ortholog in the model fungus Aspergillus nidulans regulates morphogenesis and secondary metabolism. The present study on the opportunistic pathogen A...
- Onaka H. Novel antibiotic screening methods to awaken silent or cryptic secondary metabolic pathways in actinomycetes. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2017;70:865-870 pubmed publisher..Goadsporin is a chemical substance isolated from Streptomyces sp. TP-A0584; it induces secondary metabolism and sporulation of many Streptomyces species...
- Pfannmüller A, Leufken J, Studt L, Michielse C, Sieber C, Guldener U, et al. Comparative transcriptome and proteome analysis reveals a global impact of the nitrogen regulators AreA and AreB on secondary metabolism in Fusarium fujikuroi. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176194 pubmed publisher..but also in the control of several complex cellular processes like carbon metabolism, transport and secondary metabolism. We show that both GATA transcription factors can be considered as master regulators of secondary ..
- Bazafkan H, Dattenböck C, Stappler E, Beier S, Schmoll M. Interrelationships of VEL1 and ENV1 in light response and development in Trichoderma reesei. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175946 pubmed publisher..partner in its vicinity, a response which is mediated by the velvet family protein VEL1 and its impact on secondary metabolism. We therefore studied the regulatory interactions of ENV1 and VEL1 with a focus on sexual development...
- Ballester A, Marcet Houben M, Levin E, Sela N, Selma Lázaro C, Carmona L, et al. Genome, Transcriptome, and Functional Analyses of Penicillium expansum Provide New Insights Into Secondary Metabolism and Pathogenicity. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2015;28:232-48 pubmed publisherThe relationship between secondary metabolism and infection in pathogenic fungi has remained largely elusive...
- Chen L, Liu T, Duan Y, Lu X, Yang Q. Microbial Secondary Metabolite, Phlegmacin B1, as a Novel Inhibitor of Insect Chitinolytic Enzymes. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:3851-3857 pubmed publisher..This work provides an example of exploiting microbial secondary metabolites as potential pest control and management agents. ..
- Poutaraud A, Michelot Antalik A, Plantureux S. Grasslands: A Source of Secondary Metabolites for Livestock Health. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6535-6553 pubmed publisher..Better knowledge and management of this animal health resource constitute a new multidisciplinary research field and a challenge to maintain and valorize grasslands. ..
- Fuentealba C, Hernández I, Saa S, Toledo L, Burdiles P, Chirinos R, et al. Colour and in vitro quality attributes of walnuts from different growing conditions correlate with key precursors of primary and secondary metabolism. Food Chem. 2017;232:664-672 pubmed publisher..was to correlate attributes such as colour and antioxidant capacity with the precursors of primary and secondary metabolism. Two growing areas and four different colours of walnuts cv...
- Vardhan P, Shukla L. Gamma irradiation of medicinally important plants and the enhancement of secondary metabolite production. Int J Radiat Biol. 2017;93:967-979 pubmed publisher..Identification of the optimum dose is the important step in the large-scale production of secondary metabolites at industrial level. ..
- Lv Y. Proteome-wide profiling of protein lysine acetylation in Aspergillus flavus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178603 pubmed publisher..Our findings illustrating abundant lysine acetylation in A. flavus expand our understanding of the fungal acetylome and provided insight into the regulatory roles of acetylation in secondary metabolism.
- Clevenger K, Bok J, Ye R, Miley G, Verdan M, Velk T, et al. A scalable platform to identify fungal secondary metabolites and their gene clusters. Nat Chem Biol. 2017;13:895-901 pubmed publisher..The ability to regularize access to fungal secondary metabolites at an unprecedented scale stands to revitalize drug discovery platforms with renewable sources of natural products. ..
- Bazioli J, Amaral L, Fill T, Rodrigues Filho E. Insights into Penicillium brasilianum Secondary Metabolism and Its Biotechnological Potential. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Additionally, this review will focus on several aspects of Penicillium brasilianum and interesting genomic insights. ..
- Ortiz A, Sansinenea E. Cyclic Dipeptides: Secondary Metabolites Isolated from Different Microorganisms with Diverse Biological Activities. Curr Med Chem. 2017;24:2773-2780 pubmed publisher..We will give a brief overview of their status giving and interesting reference list about the last works. ..
- Payyavula R, Tschaplinski T, Jawdy S, Sykes R, Tuskan G, Kalluri U. Metabolic profiling reveals altered sugar and secondary metabolism in response to UGPase overexpression in Populus. BMC Plant Biol. 2014;14:265 pubmed publisher..Metabolomic analyses showed that manipulation of PdUGPase2 results in perturbations in primary, as well as secondary metabolism, resulting in reduced sugar and starch levels and increased phenolics, such as caffeoyl and feruloyl ..
- Nomura T, Ueno A, Ogita S, Kato Y. Molecular diversity of tuliposide B-converting enzyme in tulip (Tulipa gesneriana): identification of the root-specific isozyme. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1185-1193 pubmed publisher..Moreover, TgTCEB-R was localized in tulip plastids, as found for pollen TgTCEB1. TgTCEB-R is transcribed almost exclusively in roots, indicating a tissue preference for the transcription of TCEB isozyme genes...
- Habu J, Ibeh B. In vitro antioxidant capacity and free radical scavenging evaluation of active metabolite constituents of Newbouldia laevis ethanolic leaf extract. Biol Res. 2015;48:16 pubmed publisher..The extract is a potential source of antioxidants/free radical scavengers having important metabolites which maybe linked to its ethno-medicinal use. ..
- Selvarajan R, Sibanda T, Tekere M, Nyoni H, Meddows Taylor S. Diversity Analysis and Bioresource Characterization of Halophilic Bacteria Isolated from a South African Saltpan. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..SP9. Overall, the study showed that the isolated halophiles can produce secondary metabolites with potential industrial and pharmaceutical application. ..
- Crecelius A, Michalzik B, Potthast K, Meyer S, Schubert U. Tracing the fate and transport of secondary plant metabolites in a laboratory mesocosm experiment by employing mass spectrometric imaging. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2017;409:3807-3820 pubmed publisher..In summary, the MSI technique shows a trade-off between sensitivity and spatial resolution. Graphical abstract Monitoring quinic acid in a mesocosm experiment by mass spectrometric imaging (MSI). ..
- Pal P, Kumar R, Guleria V, Mahajan M, Prasad R, Pathania V, et al. Crop-ecology and nutritional variability influence growth and secondary metabolites of Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni. BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:67 pubmed publisher..Thus, leaf yield and secondary metabolite profiles of stevia can be improved through the selection of appropriate growing locations and proper nutrient management. ..