Genomes and Genes
Summary: Covalent attachment of LIPIDS and FATTY ACIDS to other compounds and PROTEINS.
- Kathayat R, Cao Y, Elvira P, Sandoz P, Zaballa M, Springer M, et al. Active and dynamic mitochondrial S-depalmitoylation revealed by targeted fluorescent probes. Nat Commun. 2018;9:334 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this work reveals that mitochondrial S-palmitoylation is actively regulated by "eraser" enzymes that respond to alterations in mitochondrial lipid homeostasis. ..
- Babina I, McSherry E, Donatello S, Hill A, Hopkins A. A novel mechanism of regulating breast cancer cell migration via palmitoylation-dependent alterations in the lipid raft affiliation of CD44. Breast Cancer Res. 2014;16:R19 pubmed publisher..Our results support a novel mechanism whereby CD44 palmitoylation and consequent lipid raft affiliation inversely regulate breast cancer cell migration, and may act as a new therapeutic target in breast cancer metastasis. ..
- Tortosa E, Adolfs Y, Fukata M, Pasterkamp R, Kapitein L, Hoogenraad C. Dynamic Palmitoylation Targets MAP6 to the Axon to Promote Microtubule Stabilization during Neuronal Polarization. Neuron. 2017;94:809-825.e7 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which MAP6's palmitoylation mediates microtubule stabilization, allows efficient organelle trafficking, and controls axon maturation in vitro and in situ. ..
- Shibata T, Hadano J, Kawasaki D, Dong X, Kawabata S. Drosophila TG-A transglutaminase is secreted via an unconventional Golgi-independent mechanism involving exosomes and two types of fatty acylations. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10723-10734 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, TG-A is secreted through an unconventional ER/Golgi-independent pathway involving two types of fatty acylations and exosomes. ..
- Tremp A, Al Khattaf F, Dessens J. Palmitoylation of Plasmodium alveolins promotes cytoskeletal function. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2017;213:16-21 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that alveolin palmitoylation enhances cytoskeletal function by strengthening the connection between the SPN and the adjoining inner membrane complex via lipid anchoring. ..
- Chen X, Ma H, Wang Z, Zhang S, Yang H, Fang Z. EZH2 Palmitoylation Mediated by ZDHHC5 in p53-Mutant Glioma Drives Malignant Development and Progression. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4998-5010 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our work highlighted ZDHHC5 as a candidate therapeutic target for management of p53-mutated gliomas. Cancer Res; 77(18); 4998-5010. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Kharbanda A, Runkle K, Wang W, Witze E. Induced sensitivity to EGFR inhibitors is mediated by palmitoylated cysteine 1025 of EGFR and requires oncogenic Kras. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:213-219 pubmed publisher..Finally, the small molecule, 2-bromopalmitate, which has been shown to inhibit palmitoyl transferases, acts synergistically with gefitinib to induce cell death in the gefitinib resistant cell line NCI-H1975. ..
- Li R, Li K, Yang Y, Sun P, Chen A, Ni Y. [Palmitoylation of heat shock protein 90 in mouse sperm]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2017;69:298-304 pubmed..In conclusion, this study reveals that protein palmitoylation is present in mouse sperm and the palmitoylated Hsp90 is associated with different physiological conditions in sperm. ..
- Tabaczar S, Czogalla A, Podkalicka J, Biernatowska A, Sikorski A. Protein palmitoylation: Palmitoyltransferases and their specificity. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2017;242:1150-1157 pubmed publisher..Another important question is the role of depalmitoylation enzymes. This review should help to formulate questions concerning the regulation of activity of particular PATs as well as of depalmitoylating enzymes (APT). ..
- Wittouck S, van Noort V. Correlated duplications and losses in the evolution of palmitoylation writer and eraser families. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:83 pubmed publisher..A general pattern of correlated evolution appears between writer and eraser domains. These co-evolution patterns could be used in new methods for interaction prediction based on phylogenies. ..
- Zhang Y, Li E, Feng Q, Zhao X, Ge F, Zhang Y, et al. Protein palmitoylation is critical for the polar growth of root hairs in Arabidopsis. BMC Plant Biol. 2015;15:50 pubmed publisher..Although some of these effects are likely indirect, the cytological data reported here will contribute to a deep understanding of protein palmitoylation during tip growth in plants. ..
- Plain F, Congreve S, Yee R, Kennedy J, Howie J, Kuo C, et al. An amphipathic Î±-helix directs palmitoylation of the large intracellular loop of the sodium/calcium exchanger. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10745-10752 pubmed publisher..NCX1 palmitoylation is governed by a distal secondary structure element rather than by local primary sequence. ..
- Gamage D, Leikina E, Quinn M, Ratinov A, Chernomordik L, Millay D. Insights into the localization and function of myomaker during myoblast fusion. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17272-17289 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that myoblast fusion requires myomaker activity at the plasma membrane and is potentially regulated by proper myomaker trafficking. ..
- Chalabaev S, Chauhan A, Novikov A, Iyer P, Szczesny M, Beloin C, et al. Biofilms formed by gram-negative bacteria undergo increased lipid a palmitoylation, enhancing in vivo survival. MBio. 2014;5: pubmed publisher..While these results provide new insights into the biofilm lifestyle, they also suggest that the level of lipid A palmitoylation could be used as an indicator to monitor the development of biofilm infections on medical surfaces. ..