Summary: The complete absence, or (loosely) the paucity, of gaseous or dissolved elemental oxygen in a given place or environment. (From Singleton & Sainsbury, Dictionary of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, 2d ed)
- Babujee L, Apodaca J, Balakrishnan V, Liss P, Kiley P, Charkowski A, et al. Evolution of the metabolic and regulatory networks associated with oxygen availability in two phytopathogenic enterobacteria. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:110 pubmed publisher..Our subsystems based approach reveals that similar phenotypic outcomes are sometimes achieved by each organism using different genes and regulatory strategies. ..
- Wang S, Hovland J, Bakke R. Anaerobic degradation of carbon capture reclaimer MEA waste. Water Sci Technol. 2013;67:2549-59 pubmed publisher..34 L/g-COD while the yield was 0.16 L/g-COD at the highest load. This study shows that more than 80% reclaimer MEAw COD degradation with a co-substrate can be maintained in a hybrid anaerobic bioreactor operated in a wide loading range. ..
- Hu B, Shen L, Liu S, Cai C, Chen T, Kartal B, et al. Enrichment of an anammox bacterial community from a flooded paddy soil. Environ Microbiol Rep. 2013;5:483-9 pubmed publisher..1-93.1% 16S rRNA gene identity to Candidatus Jettenia asiatica. Real-time quantitative PCR of hzsA gene suggested that up to 10(10) copies g (dry weight)(-1) of soil anammox bacteria were present in the enrichment culture. ..
- Lu H, Ji Q, Ding S, Zheng P. The morphological and settling properties of ANAMMOX granular sludge in high-rate reactors. Bioresour Technol. 2013;143:592-7 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity of four parameters was in the order of ?G,?mass, dP and ?('). Based on the settling model, ANAMMOX granules with diameter of 1.75-4.00 mm were supposed to be optimal for the ANAMMOX process. ..
- Wang J, Gu J. Dominance of Candidatus Scalindua species in anammox community revealed in soils with different duration of rice paddy cultivation in Northeast China. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2013;97:1785-98 pubmed publisher..Tentative new species were also discovered in this paddy soil. This study provides the first evidence on the existence of anammox bacteria with limited diversity in agricultural ecosystems in Northern China. ..
- Traversi D, Villa S, Lorenzi E, Degan R, Gilli G. Application of a real-time qPCR method to measure the methanogen concentration during anaerobic digestion as an indicator of biogas production capacity. J Environ Manage. 2012;111:173-7 pubmed publisher..6 m(3) biogas/kg TVS (F = 7.053; p < 0.05). The applied method is suitable to describe microbiome into the anaerobic reactor, moreover methanogen concentration may have potential for use as a digestion optimisation tool. ..
- Carvalho H, Coelho E Silva M, Goncalves C, Philippaerts R, Castagna C, Malina R. Age-related variation of anaerobic power after controlling for size and maturation in adolescent basketball players. Ann Hum Biol. 2011;38:721-7 pubmed publisher..Allometric modelling to partition size may reveal other potentially meaningful factors in the development of short-term performance in adolescent athletes. ..
- Schneider Y, Beier M, Rosenwinkel K. Determination of the nitrous oxide emission potential of deammonification under anoxic conditions. Water Environ Res. 2011;83:2199-210 pubmed..The results show that, during anoxic conditions, the N2O emission potential of deammonification is significantly lower than from conventional denitrification. ..
- Tang C, He R, Zheng P, Chai L, Min X. Mathematical modeling of high-rate Anammox UASB reactor based on granular packing patterns. J Hazard Mater. 2013;250-251:1-8 pubmed publisher..8 gVSS/L. The established model was carefully calibrated and verified, and it well simulated the performance of granule-based high-rate Anammox UASB reactor. ..
- Xia Y, Massé D, McAllister T, Kong Y, Seviour R, Beaulieu C. Identity and diversity of archaeal communities during anaerobic co-digestion of chicken feathers and other animal wastes. Bioresour Technol. 2012;110:111-9 pubmed publisher..The compositions of archaeal communities fed different substrates were statistically significantly different (P<0.05)...
- Pohl M, Mumme J, Heeg K, Nettmann E. Thermo- and mesophilic anaerobic digestion of wheat straw by the upflow anaerobic solid-state (UASS) process. Bioresour Technol. 2012;124:321-7 pubmed publisher..During steady state thermophilic straw digestion was found to have a 36% higher methane yield (0.165 L g(VS)(-1)) whereas the hydrolysis rate constant increased by 106% (0.066 d(-1)). ..
- Ghanimeh S, El Fadel M, Saikaly P. Mixing effect on thermophilic anaerobic digestion of source-sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste. Bioresour Technol. 2012;117:63-71 pubmed publisher..5 g VS/l/d in comparison to 1.9 g VS/l/d for non-mixing. Mixing equally improved microbial abundance from 6.6 to 10 g VSS/l and enhanced solids and soluble COD removal. ..
- Cysneiros D, Thuillier A, Villemont R, Littlestone A, Mahony T, O Flaherty V. Temperature effects on the trophic stages of perennial rye grass anaerobic digestion. Water Sci Technol. 2011;64:70-6 pubmed..Considering the non-acclimated, mesophilic nature of the inoculum, there are grounds to believe that low-temperature anaerobic digestion of grass could be feasible if coupled to efficient hydrolysis of the biomass. ..
- Rolfe M, Ocone A, Stapleton M, Hall S, Trotter E, Poole R, et al. Systems analysis of transcription factor activities in environments with stable and dynamic oxygen concentrations. Open Biol. 2012;2:120091 pubmed publisher..Thus, this approach illustrates how systematic examination of regulatory responses in stable and dynamic environments yields new mechanistic insights into adaptive processes. ..
- Westerholm M, Levén L, Schnürer A. Bioaugmentation of syntrophic acetate-oxidizing culture in biogas reactors exposed to increasing levels of ammonia. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:7619-25 pubmed publisher..Consequently, these findings further demonstrate the strong influence of ammonia on the methane-producing consortia and on the representative methanization pathway in mesophilic biogas reactors...
- Lu H, Zheng P, Ji Q, Zhang H, Ji J, Wang L, et al. The structure, density and settlability of anammox granular sludge in high-rate reactors. Bioresour Technol. 2012;123:312-7 pubmed publisher..The diameter of anammox granules should be controlled at less than 2.20mm to avoid the granule floatation. A hypothesized mechanism for the granulation and floatation of anammox biomass was proposed. ..
- Qiu M, Chen X, Deng D, Guo J, Sun G, Mai B, et al. Effects of electron donors on anaerobic microbial debromination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs). Biodegradation. 2012;23:351-61 pubmed publisher..These results provide insights into in situ bioremediation of environments contaminated by PBDEs and our understanding of microbial ecology associated with PBDE-debromination. ..
- Luo G, Angelidaki I. Integrated biogas upgrading and hydrogen utilization in an anaerobic reactor containing enriched hydrogenotrophic methanogenic culture. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2012;109:2729-36 pubmed publisher..Finally, the CH(4) content around 90% was achieved in this study with the gas injection rate as high as 24?L/(L?day)...
- Jouhten P, Wiebe M, Penttila M. Dynamic flux balance analysis of the metabolism of Saccharomyces cerevisiae during the shift from fully respirative or respirofermentative metabolic states to anaerobiosis. FEBS J. 2012;279:3338-54 pubmed publisher..cerevisiae during adaptation to anaerobiosis. Modelling and simulation enabled the identification of short time-scale flux distribution dynamics under the ..
- Wang G, Grammel H, Abou Aisha K, Sägesser R, Ghosh R. High-level production of the industrial product lycopene by the photosynthetic bacterium Rhodospirillum rubrum. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:7205-15 pubmed..This study provides the first genetic proof that the R. rubrum CrtI produces lycopene exclusively as an end product...
- Milucka J, Ferdelman T, Polerecky L, Franzke D, Wegener G, Schmid M, et al. Zero-valent sulphur is a key intermediate in marine methane oxidation. Nature. 2012;491:541-6 pubmed publisher..Our observations expand the diversity of known microbially mediated sulphur transformations and have significant implications for our understanding of the biogeochemical carbon and sulphur cycles...
- St Pierre B, Wright A. Metagenomic analysis of methanogen populations in three full-scale mesophilic anaerobic manure digesters operated on dairy farms in Vermont, USA. Bioresour Technol. 2013;138:277-84 pubmed publisher..Differences in management practices and years of operation were hypothesized as potential factors responsible for differences in the methanogen profiles. ..
- van der Zaan B, Saia F, Stams A, Plugge C, de Vos W, Smidt H, et al. Anaerobic benzene degradation under denitrifying conditions: Peptococcaceae as dominant benzene degraders and evidence for a syntrophic process. Environ Microbiol. 2012;14:1171-81 pubmed publisher..This, together with the inhibiting effect of hydrogen and the ability to degrade benzene with different electron acceptors, suggests that benzene was degraded via a syntrophic process...
- Steinberg L, Regan J. Response of lab-scale methanogenic reactors inoculated from different sources to organic loading rate shocks. Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:8790-8 pubmed publisher..Although the resultant communities required base addition, an increase in Methanosarcina numbers after glucose pulses resulted in decreased acetate and increased reactor pH and methane production. ..
- Kartal B, Maalcke W, de Almeida N, Cirpus I, Gloerich J, Geerts W, et al. Molecular mechanism of anaerobic ammonium oxidation. Nature. 2011;479:127-30 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they reinforce the role of nitric oxide in the evolution of the nitrogen cycle. ..
- Chatzifragkou A, Aggelis G, Komaitis M, Zeng A, Papanikolaou S. Impact of anaerobiosis strategy and bioreactor geometry on the biochemical response of Clostridium butyricum VPI 1718 during 1,3-propanediol fermentation. Bioresour Technol. 2011;102:10625-32 pubmed publisherThe impact of anaerobiosis strategy on 1,3-propanediol production during cultivation of Clostridium butyricum VPI 1718 in different size bioreactors was studied...
- Trotter E, Rolfe M, Hounslow A, Craven C, Williamson M, Sanguinetti G, et al. Reprogramming of Escherichia coli K-12 metabolism during the initial phase of transition from an anaerobic to a micro-aerobic environment. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25501 pubmed publisher..coli K-12 gene expression by working alongside the O? sensor FNR during transition from anaerobic to micro-aerobic conditions. ..
- Okabe S, Oshiki M, Takahashi Y, Satoh H. N2O emission from a partial nitrification-anammox process and identification of a key biological process of N2O emission from anammox granules. Water Res. 2011;45:6461-70 pubmed publisher..Based on these results obtained, denitrification by putative heterotrophic denitrifiers present in the inner part of the granule was considered the most probable cause of N(2)O emission from the anammox reactor (i.e., granules). ..
- Luo G, Johansson S, Boe K, Xie L, Zhou Q, Angelidaki I. Simultaneous hydrogen utilization and in situ biogas upgrading in an anaerobic reactor. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2012;109:1088-94 pubmed publisher..However, the addition of hydrogen resulted in increase of pH (from 8.0 to 8.3) due to the consumption of bicarbonate, which subsequently caused slight inhibition of methanogenesis. ..
- Boender L, van Maris A, de Hulster E, Almering M, van der Klei I, Veenhuis M, et al. Cellular responses of Saccharomyces cerevisiae at near-zero growth rates: transcriptome analysis of anaerobic retentostat cultures. FEMS Yeast Res. 2011;11:603-20 pubmed publisher..We propose retentostat as a powerful cultivation tool to investigate chronological ageing-related processes. ..
- Li dong S, An hui H, Ren cun J, Dong qing C, Ping Z, Xiang yang X, et al. Enrichment of anammox bacteria from three sludge sources for the startup of monosodium glutamate industrial wastewater treatment system. J Hazard Mater. 2012;199-200:193-9 pubmed publisher..Thus the anammox process has possibility of applying to the nitrogen removal from MSG wastewater. ..
- McKeown R, Hughes D, Collins G, Mahony T, O Flaherty V. Low-temperature anaerobic digestion for wastewater treatment. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2012;23:444-51 pubmed publisher..A holistic, polyphasic approach, which integrates bioprocess, physiological and molecular biological datasets has been critical to the development of the LTAD concept. ..
- Anderson K, Apolinario E, Sowers K. Desiccation as a long-term survival mechanism for the archaeon Methanosarcina barkeri. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:1473-9 pubmed publisher..The results of this study demonstrate that after desiccation M. barkeri has the innate capability to survive extended periods of exposure to air and lethal temperatures...
- Winter S, Winter M, Xavier M, Thiennimitr P, Poon V, Keestra A, et al. Host-derived nitrate boosts growth of E. coli in the inflamed gut. Science. 2013;339:708-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, the inflammatory host response selectively enhances the growth of commensal Enterobacteriaceae by generating electron acceptors for anaerobic respiration. ..
- Piccaro G, Giannoni F, Filippini P, Mustazzolu A, Fattorini L. Activities of drug combinations against Mycobacterium tuberculosis grown in aerobic and hypoxic acidic conditions. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:1428-33 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate the sterilizing effect of drug combinations against cells of different M. tuberculosis stages grown in aerobic and hypoxic acidic conditions. ..
- Fotidis I, Karakashev D, Angelidaki I. Bioaugmentation with an acetate-oxidising consortium as a tool to tackle ammonia inhibition of anaerobic digestion. Bioresour Technol. 2013;146:57-62 pubmed publisher..01 h(-1)) in fed-batch reactors. This indicates that methanogens were the slowest partners of the SAO co-culture and therefore were the limiting factor during bioaugmentation in the UASB reactor...
- Zhilina T, Zavarzina D, Panteleeva A, Osipov G, Kostrikina N, Tourova T, et al. Fuchsiella alkaliacetigena gen. nov., sp. nov., an alkaliphilic, lithoautotrophic homoacetogen from a soda lake. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2012;62:1666-73 pubmed publisher..The name Fuchsiella alkaliacetigena gen. nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of the type species is Z-7100(T) (=DSM 24880(T)=VKM B-2667(T)). ..
- Keren I, Wu Y, Inocencio J, Mulcahy L, Lewis K. Killing by bactericidal antibiotics does not depend on reactive oxygen species. Science. 2013;339:1213-6 pubmed publisher..There was essentially no difference in survival of bacteria treated with various antibiotics under aerobic or anaerobic conditions. This suggests that ROS do not play a role in killing of bacterial pathogens by antibiotics. ..
- Walter A, Knapp B, Farbmacher T, Ebner C, Insam H, Franke Whittle I. Searching for links in the biotic characteristics and abiotic parameters of nine different biogas plants. Microb Biotechnol. 2012;5:717-30 pubmed publisher..No other correlations between biotic characteristics and abiotic parameters were found. Methanogenic communities in each reactor were highly stable and resilient over the whole year. ..
- Wang Y, Zhu G, Harhangi H, Zhu B, Jetten M, Yin C, et al. Co-occurrence and distribution of nitrite-dependent anaerobic ammonium and methane-oxidizing bacteria in a paddy soil. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2012;336:79-88 pubmed publisher..Our results showed that anammox and n-damo bacteria co-occurred in the paddy soil. Both of them were abundant in deep layers (30-60 cm) and the community structures changed along depths in the soil core. ..
- Wang X, Yang G, Feng Y, Ren G, Han X. Optimizing feeding composition and carbon-nitrogen ratios for improved methane yield during anaerobic co-digestion of dairy, chicken manure and wheat straw. Bioresour Technol. 2012;120:78-83 pubmed publisher..3:59.7 and a C/N ratio of 27.2:1 after optimization using response surface methodology. The results suggested that better performance of anaerobic co-digestion can be fulfilled by optimizing feeding composition and the C/N ratio. ..
- Xiong Z, Storey K. Regulation of liver lactate dehydrogenase by reversible phosphorylation in response to anoxia in a freshwater turtle. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;163:221-8 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to show that LDH function in an anoxia-tolerant animal can be differentially modified between aerobic and anoxic states via the mechanism of posttranslational modification...
- MULLER M, Mentel M, van Hellemond J, Henze K, Woehle C, Gould S, et al. Biochemistry and evolution of anaerobic energy metabolism in eukaryotes. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2012;76:444-95 pubmed publisher..Diversified eukaryotic lineages have retained the same enzymes of anaerobic ATP synthesis, in line with geochemical data indicating low environmental oxygen levels while eukaryotes arose and diversified. ..
- Obenour D, Michalak A, Zhou Y, Scavia D. Quantifying the impacts of stratification and nutrient loading on hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:5489-96 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that while both stratification and nutrients play important roles in determining the annual extent of midsummer hypoxia, reducing nutrient inputs alone will substantially reduce the average extent. ..
- De Vrieze J, Hennebel T, Boon N, Verstraete W. Methanosarcina: the rediscovered methanogen for heavy duty biomethanation. Bioresour Technol. 2012;112:1-9 pubmed publisher..8-1.0 units and acetate concentrations up to 15,000 mg CODL(-1). The possibilities of Methanosarcina sp. as key organisms in specific types of anaerobic digestion systems are demonstrated in this review...
- Lüddeke F, Wülfing A, Timke M, Germer F, Weber J, Dikfidan A, et al. Geraniol and geranial dehydrogenases induced in anaerobic monoterpene degradation by Castellaniella defragrans. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:2128-36 pubmed publisher..GaDH activity was independent of coenzyme A. The irreversible formation of geranic acid allows for a metabolic flux from ?-myrcene via linalool, geraniol, and geranial to geranic acid...
- Pereira L, Bassi A, Avansini S, Neto A, Brasileiro B, Ceccato Antonini S, et al. The physiological characteristics of the yeast Dekkera bruxellensis in fully fermentative conditions with cell recycling and in mixed cultures with Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2012;101:529-39 pubmed publisher..showed a lower fermentative capacity as a result of inefficient sugar assimilation, especially sucrose, under anaerobiosis, which is called the Custer effect. In addition, most of the sugar consumed by D...
- Licausi F, Kosmacz M, Weits D, Giuntoli B, Giorgi F, Voesenek L, et al. Oxygen sensing in plants is mediated by an N-end rule pathway for protein destabilization. Nature. 2011;479:419-22 pubmed publisher..Our discovery of an oxygen-sensing mechanism opens up new possibilities for improving flooding tolerance in crops. ..
- Schreiber L, Holler T, Knittel K, Meyerdierks A, Amann R. Identification of the dominant sulfate-reducing bacterial partner of anaerobic methanotrophs of the ANME-2 clade. Environ Microbiol. 2010;12:2327-40 pubmed publisher..SEEP-SRB1a contributed to only 0.3% to 0.7% of all single cells in almost all samples indicating that these bacteria are highly adapted to a symbiotic relationship with ANME-2. ..
- Wei L, Li Y, Qiu L, Zhou H, Han Q, Diao X. Comparative studies of hemolymph physiology response and HIF-1 expression in different strains of Litopenaeus vannamei under acute hypoxia. Chemosphere. 2016;153:198-204 pubmed publisher..These results can help to better understand the molecular mechanisms of hypoxic tolerance and speed up the selective breeding process of hypoxia tolerance in L. vannamei. ..
- Sun C, Cao W, Banks C, Heaven S, Liu R. Biogas production from undiluted chicken manure and maize silage: A study of ammonia inhibition in high solids anaerobic digestion. Bioresour Technol. 2016;218:1215-23 pubmed publisher..Methanogenesis appeared to be failing in one digester but was recovered by reducing the %CM. Co-digestion was feasible with CM ?20% of feedstock VS, and the main limiting factor was ammonia inhibition. ..
- Zhang Y, Ma H, Niu Q, Chen R, Hojo T, Li Y. Effects of soluble microbial products (SMP) on the performance of an anammox attached film expanded bed (AAFEB) reactor: Synergistic interaction and toxic shock. Bioresour Technol. 2016;222:261-269 pubmed publisher..In addition, N2O emissions in the anammox-denitrifier symbiotic system were greater than in the conventional nitrogen removal process. ..