Genomes and Genes
psychotic affective disorders
Summary: Disorders in which the essential feature is a severe disturbance in mood (depression, anxiety, elation, and excitement) accompanied by psychotic symptoms such as delusions, hallucinations, gross impairment in reality testing, etc.
- Smith H, White T. The effect of clozapine on the social behaviour schedule in patients attending a forensic psychiatry day hospital. Med Sci Law. 2004;44:213-6 pubmed..The slowness and under-activity items were more severe in the clozapine patients. The non-clozapine group scored higher in the category of other behaviours that might impede progress, particularly drug-taking. ..
- Maxeiner H, Rojewski M, Schmitt A, Tumani H, Bechter K, Schmitt M. Flow cytometric analysis of T cell subsets in paired samples of cerebrospinal fluid and peripheral blood from patients with neurological and psychiatric disorders. Brain Behav Immun. 2009;23:134-42 pubmed publisher..The analysis of lymphocyte subsets in PB and CSF constitutes a novel promising tool to understand underlying pathomechanisms in psychiatric and neurological disorders on an individual case level. ..
- Wonodi I, Hong L, Thaker G. Psychopathological and cognitive correlates of tardive dyskinesia in patients treated with neuroleptics. Adv Neurol. 2005;96:336-49 pubmed..No effective treatments for TD are available. This lack of effective therapy is problematic, especially in the few patients in whom the disorder causes functional impairment and other complications, and in whom it may be irreversible. ..
- Dannon P, Lowengrub K, Gonopolski Y, Kotler M. Current and emerging somatic treatment strategies in psychotic major depression. Expert Rev Neurother. 2006;6:73-80 pubmed..Current recommendations for the prevention of relapse and improvement of long-term outcome will be reviewed. ..
- Salisbury D, Shenton M, Sherwood A, Fischer I, Yurgelun Todd D, Tohen M, et al. First-episode schizophrenic psychosis differs from first-episode affective psychosis and controls in P300 amplitude over left temporal lobe. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1998;55:173-80 pubmed..This P300 asymmetry suggests left temporal lobe dysfunction at the onset of schizophrenia. ..
- Pollock B, Mulsant B. Antipsychotics in older patients. A safety perspective. Drugs Aging. 1995;6:312-23 pubmed..Prospective and frequent assessments for adverse effects are also essential. ..
- Kirkbride J, Fearon P, Morgan C, Dazzan P, Morgan K, Murray R, et al. Neighbourhood variation in the incidence of psychotic disorders in Southeast London. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2007;42:438-45 pubmed..The findings are consistent with classical sociological models of mental disorders. ..
- Suzuki K, Awata S, Takano T, Ebina Y, Numata S, Saito A, et al. Resolution of SPECT-determined anterior cerebral hypoperfusion correlated with maintenance ECT-derived improvement in residual symptoms in a case of late-life psychotic depression. Clin Nucl Med. 2006;31:253-5 pubmed
- Wijkstra J, Lijmer J, Balk F, Geddes J, Nolen W. Pharmacological treatment for unipolar psychotic depression: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;188:410-5 pubmed..However, clinically the balance between risks and benefits may suggest the first option should be preferred for many patients. Starting with an antipsychotic alone appears to be inadequate. ..
- Chiu M, Chen T, Yip P, Hua M, Tang L. Behavioral and psychologic symptoms in different types of dementia. J Formos Med Assoc. 2006;105:556-62 pubmed
- Dikeos D, Wickham H, McDonald C, Walshe M, Sigmundsson T, Bramon E, et al. Distribution of symptom dimensions across Kraepelinian divisions. Br J Psychiatry. 2006;189:346-53 pubmed..Kraepelinian diagnostic categories suffice for understanding illness characteristics, but the use of dimensions adds substantial information. ..
- Washington E, Shen J, Kocher J, Moseley C. Care patterns for affective psychosis across diverse ethnicities: exploring potential contributors to complications and emergency room utilization. Ethn Dis. 2006;16:712-7 pubmed..Further study is warranted to evaluate protective factors associated with lower risk of complications in both Hispanic and Asian populations. ..
- Sax K, Strakowski S, Keck P, McElroy S, West S, Bourne M, et al. Comparison of patients with early-, typical-, and late-onset affective psychosis. Am J Psychiatry. 1997;154:1299-301 pubmed..Among patients with affective psychosis, there may be heterogeneity of symptoms and family history associated with age at first hospitalization. ..
- Dhossche D, Ghani S. Diagnostic stability of schizophrenia in psychiatric emergency room patients. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 1998;10:151-5 pubmed..Further studies are needed in other settings to assess if underdiagnosis is associated with undertreatment of schizophrenia in females. ..
- Kułakowska A, Drozdowski W, Halicka D. [Emotional disorders in patients with multiple sclerosis]. Przegl Lek. 2001;58:873-6 pubmed..Authors present a review of current opinions on pathogenesis, diagnostic criteria and treatment of emotional problems in MS patients. ..
- Belanoff J, Kalehzan M, Sund B, Fleming Ficek S, Schatzberg A. Cortisol activity and cognitive changes in psychotic major depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2001;158:1612-6 pubmed..Psychotic major depression is endocrinologically different from nonpsychotic major depression and produces cognitive changes distinct from those seen in nonpsychotic major depression. ..
- MacCabe J, Koupil I, Leon D. Lifetime reproductive output over two generations in patients with psychosis and their unaffected siblings: the Uppsala 1915-1929 Birth Cohort Multigenerational Study. Psychol Med. 2009;39:1667-76 pubmed publisher..Schizophrenia, but not affective psychosis, is associated with reduced biological fertility; this disadvantage is partly explained by marital status and persists into the second generation. ..
- Hink E, Schutte J, Heres M, Wennink J, Honig A. [Mortality in pregnant and newly delivered women due to psychiatric disorders]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2008;152:913-6 pubmed..Important recommendations to reduce maternal mortality due to psychiatric disorders include improvement of communication between health professionals and systematic registration of maternal mortality. ..
- Hodgekins J, Fowler D. CBT and recovery from psychosis in the ISREP trial: mediating effects of hope and positive beliefs on activity. Psychiatr Serv. 2010;61:321-4 pubmed publisher..Fostering hope and positive self-concept should be central components of recovery-oriented services and interventions. Modifying these dimensions may have a positive impact on functional outcome. ..
- Wijkstra J, Burger H, van den Broek W, Birkenhager T, Janzing J, Boks M, et al. Long-term response to successful acute pharmacological treatment of psychotic depression. J Affect Disord. 2010;123:238-42 pubmed publisher..Continuation treatment with the same medication that was effective in the acute treatment trial, remained effective during the 4 month follow-up in many patients leading to further improvement, and was well tolerated. ..
- Arora M, Praharaj S. Meningocele and ankyloblepharon following in utero exposure to olanzapine. Eur Psychiatry. 2006;21:345-6 pubmed..It is suggested that olanzapine may interfere with embryonic development at different stages of pregnancy...
- Carroll B, Rubin R. Is mifepristone useful in psychotic depression?. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006;31:2793-4; author reply 2795-7 pubmed
- Lencer R, Reilly J, Harris M, Sprenger A, Keshavan M, Sweeney J. Sensorimotor transformation deficits for smooth pursuit in first-episode affective psychoses and schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67:217-23 pubmed publisher..The absence of significant changes after acute treatment and symptom reduction suggests that these deficits appear to be stable over time. ..
- Craddock N, O Donovan M, Owen M. Symptom dimensions and the Kraepelinian dichotomy. Br J Psychiatry. 2007;190:361; author reply 361-2 pubmed
- Sale T. EAST helps people with psychosis out west. Behav Healthc. 2008;28:28-31 pubmed
- Kaiser F. Anticipation in migraine with affective psychosis. Am J Med Genet. 2002;110:62-4 pubmed..There is a strong genetic predisposition to the psychiatric disorder of affective psychosis along with a dominant pattern of migraine in the family, which suggests a genetic connection between migraine and affective psychosis. ..
- Flor Henry P. Lateralized temporal-limbic dysfunction and psychopathology. 1976. Epilepsy Behav. 2003;4:578-90 pubmed
- van Riemsdijk M, Ditters J, Sturkenboom M, Tulen J, Ligthelm R, Overbosch D, et al. Neuropsychiatric events during prophylactic use of mefloquine before travelling. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2002;58:441-5 pubmed..Neuropsychiatric effects were more common in first-time users than in individuals who had used mefloquine before. ..
- Nolen W. [Fifty years of pharmacotherapy of mood disorders: have the expectations been fulfilled?]. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2008;50 Spec no.:111-6 pubmed..g. more selective compounds with a different working mechanism). Unfortunately, very few of these hopes have been fulfilled. ..
- Green C, Polen M, Janoff S, Castleton D, Wisdom J, Vuckovic N, et al. Understanding how clinician-patient relationships and relational continuity of care affect recovery from serious mental illness: STARS study results. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2008;32:9-22 pubmed publisher..Strong clinician-patient relationships, relational continuity, and a caring, collaborative approach facilitate recovery from mental illness and improved quality of life. ..
- Grahovac T, Ružić K, Medved P, Pavesić Radonja A, Dadić Hero E. Hyperprolactinaemia - a risperidone side-effect. Psychiatr Danub. 2010;22:120-2 pubmed..Medicamentous hyperprolactinaemia is a well known side effect of risperidone. A gradual risperidone retractement lead to a lowered and normal prolactin level within a month. ..
- Feinstein A, Ron M. Psychosis associated with demonstrable brain disease. Psychol Med. 1990;20:793-803 pubmed..A majority of patients had a syndrome indistinguishable from schizophrenia without coarse brain involvement and shared similar variables predicting outcome of psychosis, thus raising important issues concerning their nosological status. ..
- Zarate C, Rothschild A, Fletcher K, Madrid A, Zapatel J. Clinical predictors of acute response with quetiapine in psychotic mood disorders. J Clin Psychiatry. 2000;61:185-9 pubmed..02) and longer duration of illness (p = .03) were associated with less chance of responding. Quetiapine may be a useful alternative or adjunctive treatment for patients with bipolar and schizoaffective disorders. ..
- Brodersen A, Licht R, Vestergaard P, Olesen A, Mortensen P. [Mortality in patients with affective disorder who commenced treatment with lithium. A 16-year follow-up]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2001;163:6428-32 pubmed..Mortality, particularly death from suicide, was significantly increased in unselected affective disorder patients, who commenced lithium treatment, as compared with the background population. ..
- Dalton S, Mellemkjaer L, Olsen J, Mortensen P, Johansen C. Depression and cancer risk: a register-based study of patients hospitalized with affective disorders, Denmark, 1969-1993. Am J Epidemiol. 2002;155:1088-95 pubmed..02) after 10 or more years of follow-up. These data provide no support for the hypothesis that depression independently increases risk of cancer, but they emphasize the deleterious effect that depression can have on lifestyle factors. ..
- Benazzi F. Bipolar versus unipolar psychotic outpatient depression. J Affect Disord. 1999;55:63-6 pubmed..The findings might suggest, but do not necessarily imply, that psychotic depression might be a distinct clinical entity. Single interviewer, nonblind cross-sectional assessment, outpatient sample, sample size. ..
- Curran S, Turner D, Musa S, Wattis J. Psychotropic drug use in older people with mental illness with particular reference to antipsychotics: a systematic study of tolerability and use in different diagnostic groups. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005;20:842-7 pubmed..In this paper we focus our findings on antipsychotics in the light of recent advice from the Committee on Safety of Medicines (UK). ..
- Hageman S, Van Den Eede F, Vandendriessche F, Claes S. [Psychopathology in female carriers of the fragile X mutation]. Tijdschr Psychiatr. 2007;49:327-31 pubmed..Carriers have been found to have a higher frequency of anxiety disorders, affective disorders and schizotypal features. ..
- Crumlish N, Whitty P, Clarke M, Browne S, Kamali M, Gervin M, et al. Beyond the critical period: longitudinal study of 8-year outcome in first-episode non-affective psychosis. Br J Psychiatry. 2009;194:18-24 pubmed publisher..These results provide qualified support for the critical period hypothesis. The critical period could be extended to include the prodrome as well as early psychosis. ..
- Hollis C. Developmental precursors of child- and adolescent-onset schizophrenia and affective psychoses: diagnostic specificity and continuity with symptom dimensions. Br J Psychiatry. 2003;182:37-44 pubmed..Premorbid social impairments are more marked in child-and adolescent-onset schizophrenia than in other psychoses. There appears to be developmental continuity from premorbid impairment to negative symptoms. ..
- Donatelli J, Seidman L, Goldstein J, Tsuang M, Buka S. Children of parents with affective and nonaffective psychoses: a longitudinal study of behavior problems. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167:1331-8 pubmed publisher..This risk varies by gender of the offspring. Implications for treatment of parents with psychotic disorders and high-risk children are discussed. ..
- Cinar S, Oude Voshaar R, Janzing J, Birkenhäger T, Buitelaar J, van den Broek W. The course of depressive symptoms in unipolar depressive disorder during electroconvulsive therapy: a latent class analysis. J Affect Disord. 2010;124:141-7 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that for a large group of patients no optimal clinical endpoint can be identified, other than full remission or no improvement at all, to discontinue ECT. ..
- Wang P, Ketter T. Biology and recent brain imaging studies in affective psychoses. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2000;2:298-304 pubmed..We review brain imaging studies that have advanced our knowledge of psychosis in mood disorders, with respect to the continuum versus discrete entity hypotheses. ..
- Baker F. Diagnosing depression in African Americans. Community Ment Health J. 2001;37:31-8 pubmed..quot; Clinicians are encouraged to recall these presentations of depression when evaluating African American patients. ..
- Maguire P. Improving the recognition of concerns and affective disorders in cancer patients. Ann Oncol. 2002;13 Suppl 4:177-81 pubmed
- Jabs B, Althaus G, Bartsch A, Schmidtke A, Stober G, Beckmann H, et al. [Cycloid psychoses as atypical manic-depressive disorders. Results of a family study]. Nervenarzt. 2006;77:1096-100, 1102-4 pubmed..The findings provide further evidence for a nosological independence of CP. ..
- Calderoni D, Wudarsky M, Bhangoo R, Dell M, Nicolson R, Hamburger S, et al. Differentiating childhood-onset schizophrenia from psychotic mood disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40:1190-6 pubmed..The diagnosis of COS is difficult and requires a time-consuming evaluation process. ..
- Zimbroff D, Warrington L, Loebel A, Yang R, Siu C. Comparison of ziprasidone and aripiprazole in acutely ill patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder: a randomized, double-blind, 4-week study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007;22:363-70 pubmed..Differences between the two drugs in the onset of therapeutic effect warrant further investigation. ..
- Korell A, Argenta P, Strathy J. Prolonged obstructed labor causing a severe obstetric fistula: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2007;52:555-6 pubmed..Severe urogenital fistula secondary to prolonged obstructed labor can occur in a metropolitan area. In the setting of psychiatric disease, physicians must be prepared for the most remote clinical situations and complications. ..
- Krabbendam L, Van Os J. Affective processes in the onset and persistence of psychosis. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2005;255:185-9 pubmed..Individuals who report hallucinatory experiences and react to these with a delusional interpretation and/or negative emotional states have an increased risk for developing clinical psychosis. ..
- Soni S, Whittington J, Holland A, Webb T, Maina E, Boer H, et al. The course and outcome of psychiatric illness in people with Prader-Willi syndrome: implications for management and treatment. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2007;51:32-42 pubmed
- Baron M, Gruen R. Schizophrenia and affective disorder: are they genetically linked?. Br J Psychiatry. 1991;159:267-70 pubmed..These results lend support to the notion that a subset of affective disorders is associated with the liability to schizophrenia. ..
- Abe T, Otsuka K, Kato S. Long-term clinical course of patients with acute polymorphic psychotic disorder without symptoms of schizophrenia. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006;60:452-7 pubmed..F23.0 does not represent a homogeneous clinical entity. In some cases, diagnosis changes to schizophrenia, but others display repeated episodes of F23.0. ..