Summary: A psychotic disorder characterized by the patient's belief that acquaintances or closely related persons have been replaced by doubles or imposters.
- Mackirdy C, Shepherd D. Capgras syndrome: possibly more common among the Maori of New Zealand. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2000;34:865-8 pubmedThe report describes an apparently greater incidence of Capgras syndrome among the Maori population compared with the European population, in the most easterly catchment area served by Tauranga Hospital in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty...
- Voros V, Tenyi T, Simon M, Trixler M. 'Clonal pluralization of the self': a new form of delusional misidentification syndrome. Psychopathology. 2003;36:46-8 pubmed
- O Connell H, Doyle P. The burning of Bridget Cleary: psychiatric aspects of a tragic tale. Ir J Med Sci. 2006;175:76-8 pubmed..is some evidence to suggest that the actions of Michael Cleary and other key protagonists were influenced by Capgras syndrome and folie a plusiers...
- Feinberg T, Keenan J. Where in the brain is the self?. Conscious Cogn. 2005;14:661-78 pubmed..These data are placed in the context of neuroimaging findings. ..
- Grignon S, Trottier M. Capgras syndrome in the modern era: self misidentification on an ID picture. Can J Psychiatry. 2005;50:74-5 pubmed
- Aziz V, Warner N. Capgras' syndrome of time. Psychopathology. 2005;38:49-52 pubmed..Four patients with the delusion of warped time are presented and the significance of the symptom is discussed. The perception of the passage of time and its disorders is discussed. ..
- ..had. This pattern is labeled the Syndrome of Capgras. A hypothesis is offered to explain the Capgras delusion within the context of this illness. ..
- Coltheart M, Menzies P, Sutton J. Abductive inference and delusional belief. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. 2010;15:261-87 pubmed publisher..This is not deductive inference and it is not inference by enumerative induction; it is abductive inference. We offer a Bayesian account of abductive inference and apply it to the explanation of delusional belief. ..
- Hart J, McClure G. Capgras' syndrome and folie à deux involving mother and child. Br J Psychiatry. 1989;154:552-4 pubmed..A mother and her son shared delusional beliefs that doubles of themselves existed and that they were being harassed by the police and social and educational services. The nature of these 'double double' symptoms is discussed. ..
- Sno H. A continuum of misidentification symptoms. Psychopathology. 1994;27:144-7 pubmed..The argumentation is based on the fact that both déjà vu experiences and depersonalisation occurring in pathological as well as non-pathological conditions are phenomenologically uniform. ..
- Alcoverro Fortuny O, Sierra Acín A. [Capgras syndrome]. Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2001;29:70-2 pubmed..The main etiopathogenic hypothesis of this syndrome are put forward (psychodynamic, disconnection, neuropsychological and medical). ..
- Lykouras L, Typaldou M, Gournellis R, Vaslamatzis G, Christodoulou G. Coexistence of Capgras and Frégoli syndromes in a single patient. Clinical, neuroimaging and neuropsychological findings. Eur Psychiatry. 2002;17:234-5 pubmed
- Devinsky O. Behavioral neurology. The neurology of Capgras syndrome. Rev Neurol Dis. 2008;5:97-100 pubmed
- Denes G. Capgras delusion. Neurol Sci. 2007;28:163-4 pubmed
- Ellis H, Luaute J, Retterstøl N. Delusional misidentification syndromes. Psychopathology. 1994;27:117-20 pubmed..The relationship between delusions of misidentification and other delusions is also touched upon. ..
- Eren I, Civi I, Yildiz M. [Frontoparietal hypoperfusion in Capgras syndrome: a case report and review]. Turk Psikiyatri Derg. 2005;16:284-90 pubmedb>Capgras syndrome (CS) is characterized by the delusional belief that a person, usually very close to the patient, has been replaced by a double who is physically very similar to the original...
- Feinberg T, Roane D. Delusional misidentification. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2005;28:665-83, 678-9 pubmedThe Capgras syndrome and other forms of delusional misidentification may be encountered frequently in neuropsychiatric settings...
- Cipriani G, Vedovello M, Ulivi M, Lucetti C, Di Fiorino A, Nuti A. Delusional misidentification syndromes and dementia: a border zone between neurology and psychiatry. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2013;28:671-8 pubmed publisher..articles on DMS in patients with dementia using the search terms "Delusional Misidentification Syndrome, Capgras syndrome, Fregoli syndrome, reduplicative paramnesia, and dementia." The DMSs are a frequent problem in dementia...
- Pechey R, Halligan P. Prevalence and correlates of anomalous experiences in a large non-clinical sample. Psychol Psychother. 2012;85:150-62 pubmed publisher..A particular focus was the association between beliefs and experiences theoretically predicted to co-occur in Capgras syndrome. The study examined the distribution and correlates of differential levels of self-reported anomalous ..
- Niiyama Y. [Capgras syndrome and possible worlds or places where the real person and its imposter coexist]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2004;106:281-303 pubmed..The purpose of this paper is to try to define the essence of Capgras syndrome from the viewpoint of possible worlds semantics...
- Altschuler E. Prescient description of frontal lobe syndrome in an Edgar Allan Poe tale. Lancet. 2004;363:902 pubmed
- Butler P. Diurnal variation in Cotard's syndrome (copresent with Capgras delusion) following traumatic brain injury. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2000;34:684-7 pubmed
- Abbate C, Trimarchi P, Salvi G, Quarenghi A, Vergani C, Luzzatti C. Delusion of inanimate doubles: description of a case of focal retrograde amnesia. Neurocase. 2012;18:457-77 pubmed publisherThis paper reports the case of a patient, M.P., who developed delusion of inanimate doubles, without Capgras syndrome, after traumatic brain injury...
- Madoz Gúrpide A, Hillers Rodríguez R. [Capgras delusion: a review of aetiological theories]. Rev Neurol. 2010;50:420-30 pubmed..According to cognitive models, Capgras syndrome cannot be exclusively conceived as a dysfunction in facial recognition but in recognizing a person globally ..
- Piel J, Leong G. The slayer statute and insanity. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2010;38:258-62 pubmed..The Washington Supreme Court has recently addressed whether a man who killed his mother and was then found not guilty by reason of insanity in criminal court can inherit a portion of his mother's estate. ..
- Brüggemann B, Werry C, Garlipp P, Pfefferer Wolf H, Haltenhof H. [Erotomania and Frégoli syndrome. A case report]. Nervenarzt. 2002;73:475-7 pubmed..Organic and psychodynamic factors were found in the etiopathogenesis of this disorder. A combination of psychotherapy and neuroleptic therapy was partly successful. ..
- Thaipisuttikul P, Lobach I, Zweig Y, Gurnani A, Galvin J. Capgras syndrome in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. Int Psychogeriatr. 2013;25:843-9 pubmed publisherb>Capgras syndrome is characterized by the recurrent, transient belief that a person has been replaced by an identical imposter...
- Varvat J, Thomas Anterion C, Decousus M, Perret Liaudet A, Laurent B. [Atypical Lewy body disease revealed by burning mouth syndrome and a pseudo-psychiatric syndrome]. Rev Neurol (Paris). 2010;166:547-9 pubmed publisher..MRI, cerebrospinal fluid, and DAT scan findings enabled the diagnosis. The dopaminergic hypothesis put forward in some cases of burning mouth syndrome might explain this symptom in Lewy body disease. ..
- Christodoulou G, Margariti M, Malliaras D, Alevizou S. Shared delusions of doubles. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1995;58:499-501 pubmed..It is postulated that the Capgras syndrome developed as a result of interaction between a dominant patient with primarily paranoid psychopathology and a ..
- Brighetti G, Bonifacci P, Borlimi R, Ottaviani C. "Far from the heart far from the eye": evidence from the Capgras delusion. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. 2007;12:189-97 pubmedb>Capgras syndrome is characterised by the belief that a significant other has been replaced by an identical-looking impostor...
- Horikawa H, Monji A, Sasaki M, Maekawa T, Onitsuka T, Nitazaka Y, et al. Different SPECT findings before and after Capgras' syndrome in interictal psychosis. Epilepsy Behav. 2006;9:189-92 pubmed..The enhanced hypoperfusion demonstrated by SPECT in the present case seems to indicate a right interhemispheric disconnection resulting in the occurrence of Capgras' syndrome. ..
- Zerby S. Using the science fiction film invaders from Mars in a child psychiatry seminar. Acad Psychiatry. 2005;29:316-21 pubmed..This film may serve as a useful tool for teaching child psychiatry residents principles of child development, clinical features of separation anxiety and nightmares, and basic clinical interventions. ..
- Barton J. Disorders of face perception and recognition. Neurol Clin. 2003;21:521-48 pubmed..Deficits in face perception also may contribute to Capgras syndrome and may be related to the impaired social development of patients with Asperger syndrome...
- Wenzel T, Sibitz I, Kieffer W, Strobl R. Capgras syndrome and functional psychosis in 2 survivors of torture. Psychopathology. 1999;32:203-6 pubmed..We report for the first time the case histories of 2 patients suffering from Capgras syndrome along with schizoaffective disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder after prior experience of prolonged ..
- Edelstyn N, Oyebode F, Barrett K. The delusions of Capgras and intermetamorphosis in a patient with right-hemisphere white-matter pathology. Psychopathology. 2001;34:299-304 pubmed..These results are discussed in the context of the contribution of deficiencies in the visual system and subcortical white-matter lesions to the development of Capgras delusion. ..
- Fineberg S, Corlett P. The doxastic shear pin: delusions as errors of learning and memory. Cogn Neuropsychiatry. 2016;21:73-89 pubmed publisher..This crucial role should not be ignored when we treat delusions: we need to consider how a person will function in the world without them.. ..
- Gibson R, Lowe G, Morgan K, Henryl M, De La Haye W, Irons A. Capgras syndrome presenting in an adolescent girl in the Caribbean. West Indian Med J. 2013;62:95-8 pubmed..a 16-year old Jamaican girl who presented to the psychiatric service of a general hospital with features of Capgras syndrome is presented...
- Wolff G, McKenzie K. Capgras, Fregoli and Cotard's syndromes and Koro in folie à deux. Br J Psychiatry. 1994;165:842 pubmed
- Freeman S. Iloperidone-induced retrograde ejaculation. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2013;28:156 pubmed publisher..This case series describes the development of retrograde ejaculation with the antipsychotic iloperidone. Iloperidone is a relatively new antipsychotic and has a strong ?-1 receptor antagonism, which may explain this rare adverse effect. ..
- Kato M. [Neuropsychological approach to elucidating delusion and psychotic symptoms]. Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 2012;52:1379-81 pubmed
- Dejode J, Antonini F, Lagier P, Martin C. Capgras syndrome: a clinical manifestation of watershed cerebral infarct complicating the use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Crit Care. 2001;5:232-5 pubmed..We describe a rare and unusual symptom of cerebral ischaemic accident that is known as Capgras syndrome. This feature is interesting because it may be documented by computed tomography (CT) scan and particular ..
- Ellis H. Delusions: A suitable case for imaging?. Int J Psychophysiol. 2007;63:146-51 pubmed..Throughout the review the aim is to emphasise the potential value to cognitive neuropsychiatry of good imaging techniques. ..
- Assal F, Mendez M. Intermetamorphosis in a patient with Alzheimer's disease. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2003;15:246-7 pubmed
- Breen N, Caine D, Coltheart M. Mirrored-self misidentification: two cases of focal onset dementia. Neurocase. 2001;7:239-54 pubmed
- Hermanowicz N. A blind man with Parkinson's disease, visual hallucinations, and Capgras syndrome. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002;14:462-3 pubmed
- Mojtabai R. Identifying misidentifications: a phenomenological study. Psychopathology. 1998;31:90-5 pubmed..Proper identification, description and classification of these non-DMS misidentification phenomena is needed. ..
- Stewart J. Capgras syndrome related to diazepam treatment. South Med J. 2004;97:65-6 pubmedb>Capgras syndrome, the delusion that identical-appearing impostors have replaced familiar people, is an unusual phenomenon usually seen in schizophrenia or dementia...
- Thomas Anterion C, Convers P, Desmales S, Borg C, Laurent B. An odd manifestation of the Capgras syndrome: loss of familiarity even with the sexual partner. Neurophysiol Clin. 2008;38:177-82 pubmed publisher..the case of a patient who presented visual hallucinations and identification disorders associated with a Capgras syndrome. During the Capgras periods, there was not only a misidentification of his wife's face, but also a more ..
- Nedelec Ciceri C, Chaumier J, Lussier M, Merlet Chicoine I, Bouche G, Paccalin M, et al. [Identification errors and delusions of false identification in Alzheimer's disease: a regional survey]. Rev Neurol (Paris). 2006;162:628-36 pubmed
- Bekelman D. Capgras syndrome associated with morphine treatment. J Palliat Med. 2006;9:810-3 pubmed