histrionic personality disorder
Summary: A personality disorder characterized by overly reactive and intensely expressed or overly dramatic behavior, proneness to exaggeration, emotional excitability, and disturbances in interpersonal relationships.
- Diukova G, Korabel nikova E, Titova E, Vein A. [Hysteria and multiple sclerosis]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2003;103:53-8 pubmed
- Torgersen S, Czajkowski N, Jacobson K, Reichborn Kjennerud T, Røysamb E, Neale M, et al. Dimensional representations of DSM-IV cluster B personality disorders in a population-based sample of Norwegian twins: a multivariate study. Psychol Med. 2008;38:1617-25 pubmed publisher..Etiologically, cluster B has a 'substructure' in which ASPD and BPD are more closely related to each other than to the other cluster B disorders. ..
- Ferguson C. Sexting behaviors among young Hispanic women: incidence and association with other high-risk sexual behaviors. Psychiatr Q. 2011;82:239-43 pubmed publisher..Sexting behaviors were not associated with most other high-risk sexual behaviors, but were slightly more common in women who found sex to be highly pleasurable or who displayed histrionic personality traits. ..
- Belitsky C, Toner B, Ali A, Yu B, Osborne S, deRooy E. Sex-role attitudes and clinical appraisal in psychiatry residents. Can J Psychiatry. 1996;41:503-8 pubmed..45 female, 51 male) evaluated 1 of 4 possible clinical case histories-a female or male patient with histrionic personality disorder (HPD) or antisocial personality disorder (APD)-and completed the Sex-Role Egalitarianism Scale (SRES)...
- Fossati A, Feeney J, Donati D, Donini M, Novella L, Bagnato M, et al. Personality disorders and adult attachment dimensions in a mixed psychiatric sample: a multivariate study. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2003;191:30-7 pubmed..The results extend previous studies linking personality disorders and attachment patterns and suggest the importance of focusing on specific constellations of symptoms associated with dimensions of insecurity. ..
- Jasmin C, Le M, Marty P, Herzberg R. Evidence for a link between certain psychological factors and the risk of breast cancer in a case-control study. Psycho-Oncologic Group (P.O.G.). Ann Oncol. 1990;1:22-9 pubmed..0, p = 0.02), hysterical disposition (RR = 7.5, p = 0.02), and unresolved recent grief (RR = 8.2, p = 0.05), were found to be significantly related to the risk of breast cancer.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Valerio C, Santilli V, Valitutti C, Bianchi di Castelbianco A, Cesario L. Hysterical personality and family: a clinical case. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 1992;28:319-21 pubmed..The authors present a clinical case, trying to point out how a "typology-oriented" observation of the family system, allowed the therapists to clarify an individual condition, otherwise difficult to understand. ..
- Van Houdenhove B. Hysteria, depression and the nosological problem of chronic pain. Acta Psychiatr Belg. 1988;88:419-30 pubmed
- Boon S, Draijer N. Diagnosing dissociative disorders in The Netherlands: a pilot study with the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R Dissociative Disorders. Am J Psychiatry. 1991;148:458-62 pubmed..Dissociative disorders are clearly not only an American phenomenon. The diagnosis can be made outside of the United States if the symptoms are sought. The SCID-D proved to be a promising instrument. ..
- Jordan B, Swartz M, George L, Woodbury M, Blazer D. Antisocial and related disorders in a southern community. An application of grade of membership analysis. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1989;177:529-41 pubmed..and employment difficulties; as such this type resembles the DSM-III description of borderline and/or histrionic personality disorder. The other female pure type was characterized by multiple symptoms of depression and selected ..
- Pérez Flores M, Fernandez Fernandez M, Lorenzo Carrero J. [Acute concomitant esotropia and hysterical amblyopia]. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2005;80:611-4 pubmed..In our case, a neurologic origin was excluded and a diagnosis of hysterical neurosis and acute concomitant esotropia with hysterical amblyopia or functional visual loss was established. ..
- Rienzi B, Scrams D. Gender stereotypes for paranoid, antisocial, compulsive, dependent, and histrionic personality disorders. Psychol Rep. 1991;69:976-8 pubmed..The description of schizoid personality disorder was not significantly gender-typed. ..
- Brunner R, Parzer P, Richter Appelt H, Meyer A, Resch F. [Childhood sexual abuse in the history of patients in high-frequency psychoanalytic long-term therapy--prevalence and diagnosis]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 1999;49:178-86 pubmed..Looking at psychoanalytic diagnoses, a significant correlation between a history of childhood sexual abuse and a diagnosis of hysterical neurosis was found. ..
- Sigmund D. [The phenomenology of hysterical personality disorder]. Nervenarzt. 1994;65:18-25 pubmed..The dissociation ultimately becomes a prerequisite for living these not permitted and not integrated parts of personality in a partial and compromising way. ..
- Sulz S. [Hysteria I. Histrionic personality disorder. A psychotherapeutic challenge]. Nervenarzt. 2010;81:879-87; quiz 888 pubmed publisher..as dissociative and somatoform disorders are freed from the label of being hysterical, but even the histrionic personality disorder does not enjoy professional agreement as far as diagnostics and therapy are concerned...
- Rubino I, Greco E, Zanna V, Pezzarossa B. Microgenetic styles in histrionic and obsessive-compulsive personality disorders. Percept Mot Skills. 1994;78:51-60 pubmed..These results seem to encourage further clinical research with the Serial Color-Word Test. ..
- Bradley R, Zittel Conklin C, Westen D. The borderline personality diagnosis in adolescents: gender differences and subtypes. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2005;46:1006-19 pubmed
- Sirota P, Spivac B, Meshulam B. Conversive hallucinations. Br J Psychiatry. 1987;151:844-6 pubmed..Conversive hallucinations are rare in the psychiatric literature. The authors present a case which demonstrates the psychogenesis and phenomenology of conversive hallucinations in a young female patient. ..
- Horowitz M. Psychotherapy for histrionic personality disorder. J Psychother Pract Res. 1997;6:93-104; discussion 105-7 pubmed..A prototype of formulation for the histrionic personality disorder is presented, using theories for formulation about states of mind, defensive control processes, and ..
- Zimmerman M, Coryell W. DSM-III personality disorder diagnoses in a nonpatient sample. Demographic correlates and comorbidity. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1989;46:682-9 pubmed..The demographic correlates and frequency of Axis I disorders in individuals with each specific PD were examined, and all but histrionic and passive-aggressive PDs had distinctive profiles. ..
- Busch A, Kanter J, Callaghan G, Baruch D, Weeks C, Berlin K. A micro-process analysis of Functional Analytic Psychotherapy's mechanism of change. Behav Ther. 2009;40:280-90 pubmed publisher..the course of successful treatment of an individual meeting diagnostic criteria for depression and histrionic personality disorder. Treatment consisted of cognitive behavioral therapy alone followed by the addition of FAP techniques ..
- Ortigo K, Westen D, Bradley B. Personality subtypes of suicidal adults. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2009;197:687-94 pubmed publisher..g., history of abuse). Furthermore, dimensional ratings of the subtypes predicted adaptive functioning above DSM-based diagnoses and symptoms. ..
- Dakhlaoui O, Gasmi I, Haffani F. [New mask of hysteria: three case reports]. Tunis Med. 2009;87:292-4 pubmed..Hysteria expression seems to change constantly with epochs, cultures, society evolutions and medical knowledge progress. ..
- Susset J. [Psychogenic dysuria]. Ann Urol (Paris). 1993;27:327-8 pubmed..Urodynamic studies demonstrate the absence of organicity allowing us to concentrate and define psychological causes. Sexual abuse is the most frequent but also, depression, hysteria and numerous inhibitory factors of educational origin. ..
- Raboch J. [Hysterical personality and sexuality of the female]. Psychiatr Neurol Med Psychol (Leipz). 1990;42:211-7 pubmed..Contrasted with other groupings of female psychiatric patients, from a sexual point of view the female hysterical personality presents a special psychological case. ..
- Lipovetzky G, Agrest M. [The differential diagnosis of hysteria in the ravines of contemporary psychiatry]. Vertex. 2010;21:286-93 pubmed..Despite the diagnosis of hysteria has been removed from the DSM, the difficulties these patients frequently imposed to physicians still prevail. ..
- Bakkevig J, Karterud S. Is the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, histrionic personality disorder category a valid construct?. Compr Psychiatry. 2010;51:462-70 pubmed publisher..validity of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) histrionic personality disorder (HPD) category...
- Disney K, Weinstein Y, Oltmanns T. Personality disorder symptoms are differentially related to divorce frequency. J Fam Psychol. 2012;26:959-65 pubmed publisher..Multiple regression analyses showed Paranoid and Histrionic personality disorder symptoms to be consistently and positively associated with number of divorces across all three ..
- Westen D, Rosenthal R. Quantifying construct validity: two simple measures. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2003;84:608-18 pubmed
- Turley B, Bates G, Edwards J, Jackson H. MCMI-II personality disorders in recent-onset bipolar disorders. J Clin Psychol. 1992;48:320-9 pubmed..Implications of the discrepancies between these instruments and suggestions for future research are discussed. ..
- Arntz A, Dreessen L, Schouten E, Weertman A. Beliefs in personality disorders: a test with the personality disorder belief questionnaire. Behav Res Ther. 2004;42:1215-25 pubmed..Another explanation is that many patients' position on the underlying dimensions is not high enough to lead to a DSM PD diagnosis, but high enough to lead to an elevated belief score. ..
- Cesario L, Santilli V, Valerio C, Bianchi di Castelbianco A, Valitutti C. From psychotic "tragedy" to hysterical "drama": Anna history. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 1992;28:277-8 pubmed
- Neborsky R, Bundy C. Prediction of attachment status from observation of a clinical intensive psychotherapy interview. Am J Psychother. 2013;67:47-71 pubmed..The authors speculate that the differences in subclassification could be accounted for by variations and/or differences in biographical knowledge obtained by the the clinician versus that of the AAI coder (Hesse). ..
- Bartak A, Andrea H, Spreeuwenberg M, Ziegler U, Dekker J, Rossum B, et al. Effectiveness of outpatient, day hospital, and inpatient psychotherapeutic treatment for patients with cluster B personality disorders. Psychother Psychosom. 2011;80:28-38 pubmed publisher..Specialised inpatient treatment should be considered as a valuable treatment option for cluster B personality disorders, both in research and in clinical practice. ..
- Burgess J. Neurocognitive impairment in dramatic personalities: histrionic, narcissistic, borderline, and antisocial disorders. Psychiatry Res. 1992;42:283-90 pubmed..Analysis of variance revealed significant deficits in neurocognitive performance among patients with dramatic personalities, particularly in subtests requiring multi-step, multi-element associative operations. ..
- Smith G, Golding J, Kashner T, Rost K. Antisocial personality disorder in primary care patients with somatization disorder. Compr Psychiatry. 1991;32:367-72 pubmed..However, in clinical work, only one in 10 women and one in six men with SD will have antisocial personality disorder. These findings are consistent with the shared biological substrate hypothesized for the two disorders. ..
- Rosenberg S, Freedman M, Schmaling K, Rose C. Personality styles of patients asserting environmental illness. J Occup Med. 1990;32:678-81 pubmed..Further illustration is provided by a case report with psychological test data. Finally, treatment recommendations based upon this distinction are delineated. ..
- Shearer S, Peters C, Quaytman M, Wadman B. Intent and lethality of suicide attempts among female borderline inpatients. Am J Psychiatry. 1988;145:1424-7 pubmed..In addition to age and number of attempts, concomitant histrionic and antisocial features were differentially predictive of the empirically derived risk of suicide. ..
- Williams M. How useful are clinical reports concerning the consequences of therapist-patient sex?. Am J Psychother. 1995;49:237-43 pubmed..Patients with borderline or histrionic personality disorder may be at greatest risk of therapist-patient sex...
- Birdwell B, Herbers J, Kroenke K. Evaluating chest pain. The patient's presentation style alters the physician's diagnostic approach. Arch Intern Med. 1993;153:1991-5 pubmed
- Demopulos C, Fava M, McLean N, Alpert J, Nierenberg A, Rosenbaum J. Hypochondriacal concerns in depressed outpatients. Psychosom Med. 1996;58:314-20 pubmed..Similarly, patients with either histrionic personality disorder or a lifetime history of panic disorder had greater hypochondriacal concerns than patients without ..
- Bombana J, Ferraz M, Mari J. Neurovegetative dystonia--psychiatric evaluation of 40 patients diagnosed by general physicians in Brazil. J Psychosom Res. 1997;43:489-95 pubmed
- Blagov P, Westen D. Questioning the coherence of histrionic personality disorder: borderline and hysterical personality subtypes in adults and adolescents. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2008;196:785-97 pubmed publisherAfter the introduction of histrionic personality disorder (HPD), nosologists struggled to reduce its overlap with borderline personality disorder and other PDs...
- Schotte C, de Doncker D, Maes M, Cluydts R, Cosyns P. MMPI assessment of the DSM-III-R histrionic personality disorder. J Pers Assess. 1993;60:500-10 pubmed..rev. [DSM-III-R]; American Psychiatric Association, 1987) histrionic personality disorder patients, contrasted with a mixed group of 57 other personality disorder patients...
- Szmidt M, Instonajt B, Fijałkowski M. [Psychogenic pseudo-asthmatic syndrome]. Pneumonol Alergol Pol. 1995;63:215-7 pubmed..It concerns not only cases where symptoms are scanty but also patients with the so-called troublesome treatment-resistant asthma. ..
- Nestadt G, Romanoski A, Chahal R, Merchant A, Folstein M, Gruenberg E, et al. An epidemiological study of histrionic personality disorder. Psychol Med. 1990;20:413-22 pubmed..This report details the observations on those subjects diagnosed with the DSM-III diagnosis Histrionic Personality Disorder. The results indicate that this condition can be diagnosed reliably and that it is a valid construct...
- André C. [Personality disorder]. Rev Prat. 2008;58:551-6; quiz 575 pubmed
- Gerhart J, Ronan G, Russ E, Seymour B. The moderating effects of cluster B personality traits on violence reduction training: a mixed-model analysis. J Interpers Violence. 2013;28:45-61 pubmed publisher..Those with antisocial personality features improved at a rate similar to the overall trend of those without Cluster B traits. Those with borderline and histrionic features improved at an accelerated rate. ..
- Fonseca Pedrero E, Paino M, Lemos Giráldez S, Muñiz J. Cluster B maladaptive personality traits in Spanish adolescents. Rev Psiquiatr Salud Ment. 2013;6:129-38 pubmed publisher..Future studies should use measurement tools that take into account the concern, conviction and distress associated with such experiences. ..
- Arntz A, Dietzel R, Dreessen L. Assumptions in borderline personality disorder: specificity, stability and relationship with etiological factors. Behav Res Ther. 1999;37:545-57 pubmed..It is suggested that a set of assumptions is characteristic of BPD, and is relatively stable despite the instability of the behaviour of people diagnosed as having BPD. ..
- Cunliffe T, Gacono C. A Rorschach investigation of incarcerated female offenders with antisocial personality disorder. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2005;49:530-46 pubmed..These gender differences have relevance to the evaluation (PCL-R scoring) and treatment of female offenders. Our findings are discussed within the context of the female psychopath's hypothesized hysterical character style. ..