Summary: Numeric or quantitative entities, descriptions, properties, relationships, operations, and events.
- Burgess C, Burgess A, McMullen K. Modelling Risk to US Military Populations from Stopping Blanket Mandatory Polio Vaccination. Comput Math Methods Med. 2017;2017:7981645 pubmed publisher..Given residual protection from childhood vaccination, risk-based vaccination may sufficiently protect troops from polio transmission...
- Croicu A, Jarrett A, Cogan N, Hussaini M. Short-Term Antiretroviral Treatment Recommendations Based on Sensitivity Analysis of a Mathematical Model for HIV Infection of CDâ‚„âºÎ¤ Cells. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2649-2671 pubmed publisher..We are able to identify the most significant parameters that are responsible for ART outcome and to formulate some insights into the ART success. ..
- Barril C, Calsina Ã, Ripoll J. On the Reproduction Number of a Gut Microbiota Model. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2727-2746 pubmed publisher..Both quantities coincide and are equal to one at the extinction threshold, below which the bacterial population becomes extinct. Optimal values of both reproduction numbers are derived assuming parameter trade-offs. ..
- Lin Y, Shimojo S. Triple dissociation of duration perception regulating mechanisms: Top-down attention is inherent. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182639 pubmed publisher..These critical boundary conditions revealed in our study serve as quantitative constraints for neural models of duration perception. ..
- Ramella V, Bottosso S, Franchi A, Papa G, Bussani R, Arnež Z. Is it possible to calculate surface areas of intraoral structures from preoperative CT scan?. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017;70:1143-1146 pubmed publisher..Using standard template's layouts, we can create a precise preoperative flap design in the reconstruction of the tongue and of the floor of the mouth. ..
- van Iersel L, Moulton V, de Swart E, Wu T. Binets: Fundamental Building Blocks for Phylogenetic Networks. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:1135-1154 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that these results will eventually assist in the development of new methods for constructing phylogenetic networks from collections of smaller networks. ..
- Zhang W, Wang Y. Efficacy of methylphenidate for the treatment of mental sequelae after traumatic brain injury. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6960 pubmed publisher..05). The results of this study demonstrated that methylphenidate could effectively improve mental fatigue and cognitive functions in patients with TBI. ..
- Wang X, Zhao X. A Malaria Transmission Model with Temperature-Dependent Incubation Period. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:1155-1182 pubmed publisher..The simulation result is consistent with the obtained analytic result. In addition, we find that using the time-averaged EIP may underestimate the basic reproduction ratio. ..
- Reed M, Best J, Golubitsky M, Stewart I, Nijhout H. Analysis of Homeostatic Mechanisms in Biochemical Networks. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2534-2557 pubmed publisher..We discuss the many interesting mathematical and biological questions that emerge from this analysis, and we explain why understanding homeostatic control is crucial for precision medicine. ..
- Williams I, Wilkinson L, Limousin P, Jahanshahi M. Load-Dependent Interference of Deep Brain Stimulation of the Subthalamic Nucleus with Switching from Automatic to Controlled Processing During Random Number Generation in Parkinson's Disease. J Parkinsons Dis. 2015;5:321-31 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with the proposal that the STN implements a switch signal from the medial frontal cortex which enables a shift from automatic to controlled processing. ..
- Chen D. Fractional Poisson-Nernst-Planck Model for Ion Channels I: Basic Formulations and Algorithms. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2696-2726 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, the proposed model motivates new challenges in terms of mathematical modeling and computations. ..
- Zhu X, Chen Y, Li Y, Deng Z. Automatic non-symbolic numerosity processing in preschoolers. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178396 pubmed publisher..Results showed no correlation between inhibition skills and the size congruity effect and only interference effects were found. We also found a larger interference effect in low ratio conditions than in high ratio conditions. ..
- Ford J, Green J, Green M. Should We Restrict Vitamin A Intake, a Minor Contributor to Plasma Retinol Turnover, When Using Retinol Isotope Dilution Equations to Estimate an Individual's Vitamin A Status, or Should Vitamin A Balance Be Maintained?. J Nutr. 2017;147:1483-1486 pubmed publisher..Vitamin A status can also be estimated if intake is completely restricted and a different (non-steady state) equation is applied at an appropriate time after isotopic equilibrium has been reached. ..
- Pipatsart N, Triampo W, Modchang C. Stochastic Models of Emerging Infectious Disease Transmission on Adaptive Random Networks. Comput Math Methods Med. 2017;2017:2403851 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest the existence of a critical value for the ratio of disease transmission and adaptation probabilities below which the epidemic cannot occur...
- de Stavola B, Daniel R, Ploubidis G, Micali N. Mediation analysis with intermediate confounding: structural equation modeling viewed through the causal inference lens. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;181:64-80 pubmed publisher..Data from the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (1990-2005) are used for illustration. ..
- Hordijk W, Wills P, Steel M. Autocatalytic sets and biological specificity. Bull Math Biol. 2014;76:201-24 pubmed..We also establish a number of new results concerning the structure of RAFs in these systems. ..
- Meinecke L. Multiscale Modeling of Diffusion in a Crowded Environment. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2672-2695 pubmed publisher..When correcting the reaction rates for the altered diffusion we can show that molecular crowding either enhances or inhibits chemical reactions depending on local fluctuations of the obstacle density. ..
- Shafaghati L, Razaghi Moghadam Z, Mohammadnejad J. A Systems Biology Approach to Understanding Alcoholic Liver Disease Molecular Mechanism: The Development of Static and Dynamic Models. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2450-2473 pubmed publisher..The static network of ALD and its dynamic model are the first models provided for ALD which offer potentially valuable information for researchers in this field. ..
- Fan G, Bressloff P. Population Model of Quorum Sensing with Multiple Parallel Pathways. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:2599-2626 pubmed publisher..In each case, we use contraction analysis to reduce the population model to an effective single-cell model. ..
- Sipowicz K, Pietras T. [The case of an adult man with savant syndrome in the course of autism spectrum disorder]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2017;43:32-34 pubmed..Savant syndrome may appear in any patient with neuropsychiatric disorders, particularly in those suffering from autism spectrum disorder with comorbid epilepsy. ..
- Dimitriadis S, Sun Y, Kwok K, Laskaris N, Bezerianos A. A tensorial approach to access cognitive workload related to mental arithmetic from EEG functional connectivity estimates. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:2940-3 pubmed publisher..Incorporating this data-driven information within original TSA methodology, we succeeded in predicting the difficulty level from connectivity patterns in an efficient way that can be implemented so as to work in real-time. ..
- Ibrahim B. A Mathematical Framework for Kinetochore-Driven Activation Feedback in the Mitotic Checkpoint. Bull Math Biol. 2017;79:1183-1200 pubmed publisher..The presented analysis allows for systems-level understanding of mitotic control, and the minimal new model can function as a basis for developing further quantitative-integrative models of the cell division cycle. ..
- Dimitriadis S, Sun Y, Laskaris N, Thakor N, Bezerianos A. Revealing Cross-Frequency Causal Interactions During a Mental Arithmetic Task Through Symbolic Transfer Entropy: A Novel Vector-Quantization Approach. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2016;24:1017-1028 pubmed..Further statistical analysis revealed an increasing dSTENG strength following the task's difficulty. ..