Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of multisubunit cytoskeletal motor proteins that use the energy of ATP hydrolysis, generated by a ring of AAA ATPASES in the dynein heavy chain, to power a variety of cellular functions. Dyneins fall into two major classes based upon structural and functional criteria.
- Huhn S, Liu J, Ye C, Lu H, Jiang X, Feng X, et al. Regulation of spindle integrity and mitotic fidelity by BCCIP. Oncogene. 2017;36:4750-4766 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies BCCIP as a novel factor critical for microtubule regulation and explicates a mechanism utilized by BCCIP in tumor suppression. ..
- Camlin N, McLaughlin E, Holt J. Motoring through: the role of kinesin superfamily proteins in female meiosis. Hum Reprod Update. 2017;23:409-420 pubmed publisher..This review brings to light the need for more experimental investigation of kinesin motor proteins, particularly those associated with maternal ageing, cryopreservation or exposure to environmental toxicants. ..
- Guild J, Ginzberg M, Hueschen C, Mitchison T, Dumont S. Increased lateral microtubule contact at the cell cortex is sufficient to drive mammalian spindle elongation. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:1975-1983 pubmed publisher..More broadly, changes in microtubule-to-cortex contact geometry could offer a mechanism for translating changes in cell shape into dramatic intracellular remodeling. ..
- Estrem C, Fees C, Moore J. Dynein is regulated by the stability of its microtubule track. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2047-2058 pubmed publisher..We propose that interplay among dynein, dynactin, and the stability of the microtubule substrate creates a mechanism that regulates accurate spindle positioning. ..
- Sha Y, Yang X, Mei L, Ji Z, Wang X, Ding L, et al. DNAH1 gene mutations and their potential association with dysplasia of the sperm fibrous sheath and infertility in the Han Chinese population. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1312-1318.e2 pubmed publisher..These DNAH1 gene mutations may be associated with DFS and infertility in the Han population. ..
- Toropova K, Mladenov M, Roberts A. Intraflagellar transport dynein is autoinhibited by trapping of its mechanical and track-binding elements. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:461-468 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a conserved mechanism for autoregulation among dimeric dyneins, which is exploited as a switch for dynein-2's recycling activity during IFT.
- Leduc C, Etienne Manneville S. Regulation of microtubule-associated motors drives intermediate filament network polarization. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1689-1703 pubmed publisher..Our results show how polarity signaling can affect the dynamic turnover of the IF network to promote the polarization of the network itself. ..
- Chin A, Hilser V. What's in an Average? An Ensemble View of Phosphorylation Effects. Structure. 2017;25:573-575 pubmed publisher..An ensemble model offers an organizing framework to relate function, conformation, and phosphorylation in disordered and ordered proteins alike. ..
- Agircan F, Schiebel E, Mardin B. Separate to operate: control of centrosome positioning and separation. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..In this review, we will focus on the mechanisms of centrosome positioning and separation, and describe their functions and mechanisms in the light of recent findings. ..
- Waterman Storer C, Duey D, Weber K, Keech J, Cheney R, Salmon E, et al. Microtubules remodel actomyosin networks in Xenopus egg extracts via two mechanisms of F-actin transport. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:361-76 pubmed..We examine current models for cytokinesis and cell motility in light of these findings. ..
- Jambor H, Mueller S, Bullock S, Ephrussi A. A stem-loop structure directs oskar mRNA to microtubule minus ends. RNA. 2014;20:429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work sheds new light on how oskar mRNA is trafficked during oogenesis and the RNA features that mediate minus end-directed transport. ..
- Yamamoto R, Obbineni J, Alford L, Ide T, Owa M, Hwang J, et al. Chlamydomonas DYX1C1/PF23 is essential for axonemal assembly and proper morphology of inner dynein arms. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006996 pubmed publisherCytoplasmic assembly of ciliary dyneins, a process known as preassembly, requires numerous non-dynein proteins, but the identities and functions of these proteins are not fully elucidated...
- Desantis M, Cianfrocco M, Htet Z, Tran P, Reck Peterson S, Leschziner A. Lis1 Has Two Opposing Modes of Regulating Cytoplasmic Dynein. Cell. 2017;170:1197-1208.e12 pubmed publisher..The low-affinity state requires Lis1 to also bind to dynein at a novel conserved site, mutation of which disrupts Lis1's function in vivo. We propose a new model for the regulation of dynein by Lis1. ..
- Huynh W, Vale R. Disease-associated mutations in human BICD2 hyperactivate motility of dynein-dynactin. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3051-3060 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that dominant mutations in BICD2 hyperactivate DDB motility and suggest that an imbalance of minus versus plus end-directed microtubule motility in neurons may underlie spinal muscular atrophy. ..
- Wang J, Lee J, Christian S, Dang Lawson M, Pritchard C, Freeman S, et al. The Rap1-cofilin-1 pathway coordinates actin reorganization and MTOC polarization at the B cell immune synapse. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:1094-1109 pubmed publisher..Thus the Rap1-cofilin-1 pathway coordinates actin and microtubule organization at the immune synapse. ..
- Li W, Yi P, Zhu Z, Zhang X, Li W, Ou G. Centriole translocation and degeneration during ciliogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans neurons. EMBO J. 2017;36:2553-2566 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide a comprehensive model of ciliogenesis in sensory neurons and reveal the importance of the dynein-dependent centriole translocation in this process. ..
- Shi L, Muthusamy N, Smith D, Bergson C. Dynein binds and stimulates axonal motility of the endosome adaptor and NEEP21 family member, calcyon. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2017;90:93-102 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the current evidence for association with dynein motors raises the possibility that the endocytic and cargo sorting functions of Caly in neurons could be regulated by interaction with the microtubule transport system. ..
- Kobayashi T, Miyashita T, Murayama T, Toyoshima Y. Dynactin has two antagonistic regulatory domains and exerts opposing effects on dynein motility. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183672 pubmed publisher..In DCTN1A, the K-rich domain antagonized these inhibitory effects. Therefore, dynactin has two antagonistic domains and promotes or suppresses dynein motility to accomplish correct localization and functions of dynein within a cell. ..
- Farrell K, McDonald S, Lamb A, Worcester C, Peersen O, Di Pietro S. Novel function of a dynein light chain in actin assembly during clathrin-mediated endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2565-2580 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a new layer of regulation of the actin cytoskeleton by a member of a conserved protein family that has not been previously associated with a function in endocytosis. ..
- Kurup N, Yan D, Kono K, Jin Y. Differential regulation of polarized synaptic vesicle trafficking and synapse stability in neural circuit rewiring in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006844 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates temporally distinct signaling pathways that are required for effective neural circuit refinement. ..
- Porter M, Sale W. The 9 + 2 axoneme anchors multiple inner arm dyneins and a network of kinases and phosphatases that control motility. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:F37-42 pubmed