Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cofilin 1 is a member of the cofilin family of proteins that is expressed in non-muscle CELLS. It has ACTIN depolymerization activity that is dependent on HYDROGEN-ION CONCENTRATION.
- Nakashima S, Matsuda H, Kurume A, Oda Y, Nakamura S, Yamashita M, et al. Cucurbitacin E as a new inhibitor of cofilin phosphorylation in human leukemia U937 cells. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2010;20:2994-7 pubmed publisher..These findings suggested that the inhibition of cofilin's phosphorylation increased the severing activity of cofilin, and then the depolymerization of actin was enhanced after treatment with cucurbitacin E at lower concentrations. ..
- Klamt F, Zdanov S, Levine R, Pariser A, Zhang Y, Zhang B, et al. Oxidant-induced apoptosis is mediated by oxidation of the actin-regulatory protein cofilin. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:1241-6 pubmed publisher..Exposure of cofilin to TnCl results in intramolecular disulphide bonding and oxidation of Met residues to Met sulphoxide, but only Cys oxidation causes cofilin to induce mitochondrial damage. ..
- Gandhi M, Achard V, Blanchoin L, Goode B. Coronin switches roles in actin disassembly depending on the nucleotide state of actin. Mol Cell. 2009;34:364-74 pubmed publisher..We conclude that coronin polarizes the spatial distribution and activity of cofilin to promote selective disassembly of older actin filaments. ..
- Hotulainen P, Paunola E, Vartiainen M, Lappalainen P. Actin-depolymerizing factor and cofilin-1 play overlapping roles in promoting rapid F-actin depolymerization in mammalian nonmuscle cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:649-64 pubmed..These data suggest that mammalian ADF and cofilin-1 promote cytoskeletal dynamics by depolymerizing actin filaments and that this activity is critical for several processes such as cytokinesis and cell motility. ..
- Shi J, Wu X, Surma M, Vemula S, Zhang L, Yang Y, et al. Distinct roles for ROCK1 and ROCK2 in the regulation of cell detachment. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e483 pubmed publisher..Consequently, ROCK1 and ROCK2 can be functional different in regulating stress-induced stress fiber disassembly and cell detachment. ..
- Fan X, Martin Brown S, Florens L, Li R. Intrinsic capability of budding yeast cofilin to promote turnover of tropomyosin-bound actin filaments. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3641 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that yeast cofilin has the intrinsic ability to promote actin cable turnover, and that the severing activity may rely on its ability to bind Tpm1. ..
- ..I discuss implications of this study for our understanding of HIV biology and development of novel anti-HIV therapeutic approaches. ..
- Marshall T, Aloor H, Bear J. Coronin 2A regulates a subset of focal-adhesion-turnover events through the cofilin pathway. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3061-9 pubmed publisher..These results implicate both coronin 2A and cofilin as factors that can regulate a subset of focal-adhesion-turnover events. ..
- Eiseler T, Döppler H, Yan I, Kitatani K, Mizuno K, Storz P. Protein kinase D1 regulates cofilin-mediated F-actin reorganization and cell motility through slingshot. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:545-56 pubmed publisher..Consequently, expression of constitutively active PKD1 in invasive tumour cells enhanced the phosphorylation of cofilin and effectively blocked the formation of free actin-filament barbed ends and directed cell migration. ..
- Kurita S, Watanabe Y, Gunji E, Ohashi K, Mizuno K. Molecular dissection of the mechanisms of substrate recognition and F-actin-mediated activation of cofilin-phosphatase Slingshot-1. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32542-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that the conserved SSH-N domain plays critical roles in P-cofilin recognition, F-actin-mediated activation, and subcellular localization of SSH1. ..
- Bamburg J, Bernstein B, Davis R, Flynn K, Goldsbury C, Jensen J, et al. ADF/Cofilin-actin rods in neurodegenerative diseases. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2010;7:241-50 pubmed..As an early event in the neurodegenerative cascade, rod formation is an ideal target for therapeutic intervention that might be useful in treatment of many different neurological diseases. ..
- Lin C, Yen S, Chang H, Chen S, Lai S, Liu Y, et al. Loss of cofilin 1 disturbs actin dynamics, adhesion between enveloping and deep cell layers and cell movements during gastrulation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15331 pubmed publisher..of malfunctioning actin turnover on the epibolic movement by knocking down an actin depolymerizing factor, cofilin 1, using antisense morpholino oligos (MO)...
- Xiang Y, Zheng K, Ju H, Wang S, Pei Y, Ding W, et al. Cofilin 1-mediated biphasic F-actin dynamics of neuronal cells affect herpes simplex virus 1 infection and replication. J Virol. 2012;86:8440-51 pubmed publisher..The active form of the actin-depolymerizing factor cofilin 1 was found to increase at an early stage of infection and then to continuously decrease in a manner that ..
- Estornes Y, Gay F, Gevrey J, Navoizat S, Nejjari M, Scoazec J, et al. Differential involvement of destrin and cofilin-1 in the control of invasive properties of Isreco1 human colon cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2007;121:2162-71 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that destrin is a significant regulator of various processes important for invasive phenotype of human colon cancer Isreco1 cells whereas cofilin-1 may be involved in only a subset of them. ..
- Dang D, Bamburg J, Ramos D. Alphavbeta3 integrin and cofilin modulate K1735 melanoma cell invasion. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:468-77 pubmed..Interestingly, the invasion of M2Tbeta3 cells could be sustained by overexpression of cofilin A3. These results suggest that the integrin alphavbeta3 and cofilin together regulate K1735 melanoma cell invasion. ..
- Clark M, Amberg D. Biochemical and genetic analyses provide insight into the structural and mechanistic properties of actin filament disassembly by the Aip1p cofilin complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:1527-39 pubmed..Furthermore, these data support an active role for Aip1p in promoting actin filament turnover. ..
- Munsie L, Desmond C, Truant R. Cofilin nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling affects cofilin-actin rod formation during stress. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3977-88 pubmed publisher..We propose that cofilin nuclear shuttling is critical for the cofilin-actin rod stress response with cofilin dynamically communicating between the nucleus and cytoplasm during cell stress. ..
- Rust M, Gurniak C, Renner M, Vara H, Morando L, Görlich A, et al. Learning, AMPA receptor mobility and synaptic plasticity depend on n-cofilin-mediated actin dynamics. EMBO J. 2010;29:1889-902 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a critical function of actin dynamics in associative learning and postsynaptic receptor availability. ..
- Obrdlik A, Percipalle P. The F-actin severing protein cofilin-1 is required for RNA polymerase II transcription elongation. Nucleus. 2011;2:72-9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that cofilin-1 performs its function in pol II transcription by regulating polymerization of gene-associated actin. ..
- Ishaq M, Lin B, Bosche M, Zheng X, Yang J, Huang D, et al. LIM kinase 1 - dependent cofilin 1 pathway and actin dynamics mediate nuclear retinoid receptor function in T lymphocytes. BMC Mol Biol. 2011;12:41 pubmed publisher..We suggest that T cell activation-induced repression of nuclear receptor-dependent transactivation is in part through the modification of actin dynamics. ..
- Rehklau K, Gurniak C, Conrad M, Friauf E, Ott M, Rust M. ADF/cofilin proteins translocate to mitochondria during apoptosis but are not generally required for cell death signaling. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:958-67 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, mitochondrial association of ADF and n-cofilin during apoptosis was preceded by, and dependent on, actin that translocated by a yet unknown mechanism to mitochondria during cell death. ..
- Zhang Y, Tong X. Expression of the actin-binding proteins indicates that cofilin and fascin are related to breast tumour size. J Int Med Res. 2010;38:1042-8 pubmedThis study was designed to investigate the expression of four actin-binding proteins, alpha-actinin-4, cofilin 1, fascin and elongation factor 1-alpha 2 (eEF1A2), in samples of breast cancer from 112 patients with different stages of ..
- Yuen E, Liu W, Kafri T, van Praag H, Yan Z. Regulation of AMPA receptor channels and synaptic plasticity by cofilin phosphatase Slingshot in cortical neurons. J Physiol. 2010;588:2361-71 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Slingshot plays a pivotal role in AMPAR trafficking and synaptic transmission by controlling actin cytoskeleton via cofilin activation. ..
- Wang Y, Kuramitsu Y, Ueno T, Suzuki N, Yoshino S, Iizuka N, et al. Differential expression of up-regulated cofilin-1 and down-regulated cofilin-2 characteristic of pancreatic cancer tissues. Oncol Rep. 2011;26:1595-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, cofilin isoforms may serve as candidates for clinically useful biomarkers or therapeutic targets for PC. ..
- Abe H, Obinata T, Minamide L, Bamburg J. Xenopus laevis actin-depolymerizing factor/cofilin: a phosphorylation-regulated protein essential for development. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:871-85 pubmed..Blastomeres injected with neutralized antibody developed normally. These results suggest that XAC is necessary for cytokinesis and that its activity must be properly regulated for cleavage to occur. ..
- Kueh H, Charras G, Mitchison T, Brieher W. Actin disassembly by cofilin, coronin, and Aip1 occurs in bursts and is inhibited by barbed-end cappers. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:341-53 pubmed publisher..The differential effects of drugs in cells argue for physiological relevance of this new disassembly pathway and potentially explain discordant results previously found with these drugs. ..
- Wang W, Mouneimne G, Sidani M, Wyckoff J, Chen X, Makris A, et al. The activity status of cofilin is directly related to invasion, intravasation, and metastasis of mammary tumors. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:395-404 pubmed..LIMK1-mediated decreases or increases in the activity of the cofilin pathway are shown to cause proportional decreases or increases in motility, intravasation, and metastasis of tumor cells. ..
- Peterburs P, Heering J, Link G, Pfizenmaier K, Olayioye M, Hausser A. Protein kinase D regulates cell migration by direct phosphorylation of the cofilin phosphatase slingshot 1 like. Cancer Res. 2009;69:5634-8 pubmed publisher..Our data thus identify PKD as a central regulator of the cofilin signaling network via direct phosphorylation and regulation of SSH1L. ..
- Hotulainen P, Llano O, Smirnov S, Tanhuanpää K, Faix J, Rivera C, et al. Defining mechanisms of actin polymerization and depolymerization during dendritic spine morphogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:323-39 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that perturbation of these key steps in actin dynamics results in altered synaptic transmission. ..
- Yamaguchi H, Condeelis J. Regulation of the actin cytoskeleton in cancer cell migration and invasion. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1773:642-52 pubmed
- Zhu B, Fukada K, Zhu H, Kyprianou N. Prohibitin and cofilin are intracellular effectors of transforming growth factor beta signaling in human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2006;66:8640-7 pubmed..Silencing Smad4 showed that the cellular localization changes associated with prohibitin and cofilin action in response to TGF-beta are independent of Smad4 intracellular signaling. ..
- Miyoshi T, Tsuji T, Higashida C, Hertzog M, Fujita A, Narumiya S, et al. Actin turnover-dependent fast dissociation of capping protein in the dendritic nucleation actin network: evidence of frequent filament severing. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:947-55 pubmed..We predict that filament severing and end-to-end annealing might take place fairly frequently in the dendritic nucleation actin arrays. ..
- Lim M, Kawamura T, Ohsawa Y, Ohtsubo M, Asakawa S, Takayanagi A, et al. Parkin interacts with LIM Kinase 1 and reduces its cofilin-phosphorylation activity via ubiquitination. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:2858-74 pubmed..These findings demonstrate a cell-type dependent functional interaction between parkin and LIMK1 and provide new evidence that links parkin and LIMK1 in the pathogenesis of familial PD. ..
- Vartiainen M, Mustonen T, Mattila P, Ojala P, Thesleff I, Partanen J, et al. The three mouse actin-depolymerizing factor/cofilins evolved to fulfill cell-type-specific requirements for actin dynamics. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:183-94 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that the three biochemically distinct mammalian ADF/cofilin isoforms evolved to fulfill specific requirements for actin filament dynamics in different cell types. ..
- Xu Y, Wang D, Liu Q, Chen Y, Yang Z. Silencing of cofilin-1 gene attenuates biological behaviours of stromal cells derived from eutopic endometria of women with endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:2480-8 pubmed publisher..These malignant-like behaviours of ESCs in EMs can be attenuated by inducing CFL1 gene silencing with shRNA interference. ..
- Bellenchi G, Gurniak C, Perlas E, Middei S, Ammassari Teule M, Witke W. N-cofilin is associated with neuronal migration disorders and cell cycle control in the cerebral cortex. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2347-57 pubmed..These results demonstrate that mutations affecting regulators of the actin cytoskeleton contribute to the pathology of cortex development. ..
- Usami M, Mitsunaga K, Nakazawa K, Doi O. Proteomic analysis of selenium embryotoxicity in cultured postimplantation rat embryos. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2008;83:80-96 pubmed publisher..proteins were identified as proteins with quantitative changes by selenate: increased phosphorylated-cofilin 1, increased phosphorylated-destrin, decreased drebrin E, and decreased myosin light polypeptide 3...
- Ishibashi F. High glucose increases phosphocofilin via phosphorylation of LIM kinase due to Rho/Rho kinase activation in cultured pig proximal tubular epithelial cells. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008;80:24-33 pubmed..HG did not alter PI3K or its downstream signals, even though PI3K has a physiological role in maintaining the cofilin level by activating SSH1. ..
- Yamauchi K, Varadarajan S, Li J, Butler S. Type Ib BMP receptors mediate the rate of commissural axon extension through inhibition of cofilin activity. Development. 2013;140:333-42 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal the mechanistic differences used by distinct components of the canonical Bmpr complex to mediate the diverse activities of the BMPs...
- Shi J, Surma M, Zhang L, Wei L. Dissecting the roles of ROCK isoforms in stress-induced cell detachment. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:1492-500 pubmed publisher..Our studies further support the differential roles of ROCK isoforms in regulating stress-induced loss of central stress fibers and focal adhesions as well as cell detachment. ..
- Jiang N, Kham S, Koh G, Suang Lim J, Ariffin H, Chew F, et al. Identification of prognostic protein biomarkers in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). J Proteomics. 2011;74:843-57 pubmed publisher..Several of these were validated by Western blot including proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA), cofilin 1, voltage-dependent anion-channel protein 1 (VDAC1) and proteasome activator subunit 2 (PA28?)...
- Wang Z, Oh E, Clapp D, Chernoff J, Thurmond D. Inhibition or ablation of p21-activated kinase (PAK1) disrupts glucose homeostatic mechanisms in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:41359-67 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data provide the first human islet and mammalian in vivo data unveiling the key and crucial roles for differential PAK1 signaling in the multi-tissue regulation of whole body glucose homeostasis. ..
- Akita Y, Kawasaki H, Imajoh Ohmi S, Fukuda H, Ohno S, Hirano H, et al. Protein kinase C epsilon phosphorylates keratin 8 at Ser8 and Ser23 in GH4C1 cells stimulated by thyrotropin-releasing hormone. FEBS J. 2007;274:3270-85 pubmed..These results suggest that K8 is a physiological substrate for PKCepsilon, and the phosphorylation at Ser8 and Ser23 transduces, at least in part, TRH-PKCepsilon signaling in pituitary cells. ..
- Bailly M. Moving away from death: when caspase-11 meets cofilin. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:245-6 pubmed
- Hopkins A, Pineda A, Winfree L, Brown G, Laukoetter M, Nusrat A. Organized migration of epithelial cells requires control of adhesion and protrusion through Rho kinase effectors. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2007;292:G806-17 pubmed
- Kudlacek O, Just H, Korkhov V, Vartian N, Klinger M, Pankevych H, et al. The human D2 dopamine receptor synergizes with the A2A adenosine receptor to stimulate adenylyl cyclase in PC12 cells. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003;28:1317-27 pubmed..Our observations are thus compatible with the proposed model that D(2) and A(2A) receptors are closely associated, but they highlight the fact that this interaction can also support synergism. ..
- Zhang L, Jiang G, Zhao X, Gong Y. Dimethyloxalylglycine Promotes Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cell Osteogenesis via Rho/ROCK Signaling. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2016;39:1391-403 pubmed publisher..All these effects were abolished, at least in part, by Y-27632. DMOG promotes BMSC osteogenic differentiation via activation of RhoA/ROCK, suggesting clues for future therapies using BMSCs. ..