Genomes and Genes
Summary: A type VI intermediate filament protein expressed mostly in nerve cells where it is associated with the survival, renewal and mitogen-stimulated proliferation of neural progenitor cells.
- Krishnasamy S, Weng Y, Thammisetty S, Phaneuf D, Lalancette Hébert M, Kriz J. Molecular imaging of nestin in neuroinflammatory conditions reveals marked signal induction in activated microglia. J Neuroinflammation. 2017;14:45 pubmed publisherb>Nestin is a known marker of neuronal progenitor cells in the adult brain. Following neuro- and gliogenesis, nestin is replaced by cell type-specific intermediate filaments, e.g...
- Jaworski D, Kelly G, Hockfield S. Intracranial injury acutely induces the expression of the secreted isoform of the CNS-specific hyaluronan-binding protein BEHAB/brevican. Exp Neurol. 1999;157:327-37 pubmed..of BEHAB/brevican expression parallel the gliotic response and the expression of the intermediate filament protein nestin. The up-regulation of BEHAB/brevican in response to CNS injury suggests a role for this extracellular matrix ..
- Coste C, Neirinckx V, Sharma A, Agirman G, Rogister B, Foguenne J, et al. Human bone marrow harbors cells with neural crest-associated characteristics like human adipose and dermis tissues. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177962 pubmed publisher..It appeared that human bone marrow, similarly to adipose tissue and dermis, contains NESTIN+ / SOX9+ / TWIST+ / SLUG+ / P75NTR+ / BRN3A+/ MSI1+/ SNAIL1+ cells and were able to differentiate into melanocytes,..
- Leduc C, Etienne Manneville S. Regulation of microtubule-associated motors drives intermediate filament network polarization. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1689-1703 pubmed publisher..and photoconversion experiments in glial cells expressing vimentin, glial fibrillary acidic protein, and nestin, we show that the distribution of cytoplasmic IFs results from a continuous turnover based on the cooperation of ..
- Levison S, Goldman J. Multipotential and lineage restricted precursors coexist in the mammalian perinatal subventricular zone. J Neurosci Res. 1997;48:83-94 pubmed..Therefore, we conclude that the perinatal SVZ is a mosaic of multipotential, bipotential, and lineage restricted precursors, and that the lack of postnatal neocortical neurogenesis is not due to the absence of potential neuroblasts. ..
- Amoh Y, Kanoh M, Niiyama S, Kawahara K, Sato Y, Katsuoka K, et al. Human and mouse hair follicles contain both multipotent and monopotent stem cells. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:176-7 pubmed
- Birbrair A, Zhang T, Files D, Mannava S, Smith T, Wang Z, et al. Type-1 pericytes accumulate after tissue injury and produce collagen in an organ-dependent manner. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2014;5:122 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the presence of two pericyte subtypes, type-1 (Nestin-GFP-/NG2-DsRed+) and type-2 (Nestin-GFP+/NG2-DsRed+), surrounding blood vessels in lungs, kidneys, heart, spinal ..
- Brulet R, Zhu J, Aktar M, Hsieh J, Cho K. Mice with conditional NeuroD1 knockout display reduced aberrant hippocampal neurogenesis but no change in epileptic seizures. Exp Neurol. 2017;293:190-198 pubmed publisher..As expected, conditional knockout (cKO) of NeuroD1 in Nestin-expressing stem/progenitors and their progeny led to a reduction in the number of NeuroD1+ adult-generated neurons ..
- Jossin Y, Lee M, Klezovitch O, Kon E, Cossard A, Lien W, et al. Llgl1 Connects Cell Polarity with Cell-Cell Adhesion in Embryonic Neural Stem Cells. Dev Cell. 2017;41:481-495.e5 pubmed publisher..We report here that mice with embryonic neural stem-cell-specific deletion of Llgl1 (Nestin-Cre/Llgl1fl/fl), a mammalian ortholog of the Drosophila cell polarity gene lgl, exhibit MCCs resembling ..
- Jin Y, Barnett A, Zhang Y, Yu X, Luo Y. Poststroke Sonic Hedgehog Agonist Treatment Improves Functional Recovery by Enhancing Neurogenesis and Angiogenesis. Stroke. 2017;48:1636-1645 pubmed publisher..We used a genetically inducible neural stem cell-specific reporter mouse line (nestin-CreERT2-R26R-YFP) to label and track their proliferation, survival, and differentiation in ischemic brain...
- Wojcinski A, Lawton A, Bayin N, Lao Z, Stephen D, Joyner A. Cerebellar granule cell replenishment postinjury by adaptive reprogramming of Nestin+ progenitors. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1361-1370 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that following postnatal ablation of granule cell progenitors, Nestin-expressing progenitors, specified during mid-embryogenesis to produce astroglia and interneurons, switch their ..
- Balani D, Ono N, Kronenberg H. Parathyroid hormone regulates fates of murine osteoblast precursors in vivo. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3327-3338 pubmed publisher..Thus, teriparatide increases the numbers of early cells of the osteoblast lineage, hastens their differentiation into osteoblasts, and suppresses their differentiation into adipocytes in vivo. ..
- Hertig V, Tardif K, Meus M, Duquette N, Villeneuve L, Toussaint F, et al. Nestin expression is upregulated in the fibrotic rat heart and is localized in collagen-expressing mesenchymal cells and interstitial CD31(+)- cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176147 pubmed publisher..by the accumulation of collagen-immunoreactive mesenchymal cells expressing the intermediate filament protein nestin. The present study tested the hypothesis that nestin expression was increased in the hypertrophied/fibrotic left ..
- Hu P, Xia Q, Wu F, Li D, Qi Y, Hu Y, et al. NSPc1 promotes cancer stem cell self-renewal by repressing the synthesis of all-trans retinoic acid via targeting RDH16 in malignant glioma. Oncogene. 2017;36:4706-4718 pubmed publisher..impaired neurosphere formation and self-renewal abilities, down-regulated expression of stemness markers such as NESTIN, CD133 and SOX2, and decreased capacity to propagate subcutaneous xenografts...
- Tropepe V, Coles B, Chiasson B, Horsford D, Elia A, McInnes R, et al. Retinal stem cells in the adult mammalian eye. Science. 2000;287:2032-6 pubmed
- Yuan T, Liao W, Feng N, Lou Y, Niu X, Zhang A, et al. Human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived neural stem cells survive, migrate, differentiate, and improve neurologic function in a rat model of middle cerebral artery occlusion. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4:73 pubmed publisher..Implanted iPSC-derived NSCs were able to survive, migrate into the ischemic brain area to differentiate into mature neural cells, and seem to have potential to restore lost neurologic function from damage due to stroke in a rat model. ..
- Tatebayashi Y, Iqbal K, Grundke Iqbal I. Dynamic regulation of expression and phosphorylation of tau by fibroblast growth factor-2 in neural progenitor cells from adult rat hippocampus. J Neurosci. 1999;19:5245-54 pubmed..These results demonstrate that proliferating adult rat hippocampal progenitor cells express adult isoforms of tau stably and that FGF-2 upregulates the expression and, by upregulating GSK-3 activity, the phosphorylation of tau. ..
- Pan M, Weng Y, Sun Y. Overexpression of Dentin matrix protein 1 in Nestin+ cells causes bone loss in mouse long bone. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:356-363 pubmed publisher..Recently, it has been found that DMP1 is also expressed in other cell types, such as chondrocytes. Nestin+ cells are one important type of progenitor cell in bone marrow and are associated with bone remodeling...
- Gordon R, Zhang L, Yang Z. Restore the brake on tumor progression. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;138:1-6 pubmed publisher..We recently revealed that during MB formation, tumor cells express Nestin, a type VI intermediate filament protein, which maintains uncontrolled Shh signaling by abolishing negative ..
- Mii S, Uehara F, Yano S, Tran B, Miwa S, Hiroshima Y, et al. Nestin-Expressing Stem Cells Promote Nerve Growth in Long-Term 3-Dimensional Gelfoam®-Supported Histoculture. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67153 pubmed publisherWe have previously reported that hair follicles contain multipotent stem cells which express nestin. The nestin-expressing cells form the hair follicle sensory nerve...