bacterial secretion systems
Summary: In GRAM NEGATIVE BACTERIA, multiprotein complexes that function to translocate pathogen protein effector molecules across the bacterial cell envelope, often directly into the host. These effectors are involved in producing surface structures for adhesion, bacterial motility, manipulation of host functions, modulation of host defense responses, and other functions involved in facilitating survival of the pathogen. Several of the systems have homologous components functioning similarly in GRAM POSITIVE BACTERIA.
- Oikonomou C, Jensen G. Cellular Electron Cryotomography: Toward Structural Biology In Situ. Annu Rev Biochem. 2017;86:873-896 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the integration of ECT with other techniques, including lower-resolution fluorescence imaging and higher-resolution atomic structure determination, to cover the full scale of cellular processes. ..
- Chakravarty S, Melton C, Bailin A, Yahr T, Anderson G. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Magnesium Transporter MgtE Inhibits Type III Secretion System Gene Expression by Stimulating rsmYZ Transcription. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..aeruginosa In this study, we describe the mechanism of MgtE-dependent inhibition of the T3SS. Our report also illustrates how MgtE might respond to environmental cues, such as magnesium levels, to fine-tune T3SS gene expression. ..
- Jang K, Lee Z, Kim B, Jung Y, Han H, Kim M, et al. Identification and characterization of Vibrio vulnificus plpA encoding a phospholipase A2 essential for pathogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17129-17143 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study demonstrated that VvPlpA is a type II secretion system-dependent secretory phospholipase A2 regulated by HlyU and CRP and is essential for the pathogenicity of V. vulnificus. ..
- Sugawara M, Epstein B, Badgley B, Unno T, Xu L, Reese J, et al. Comparative genomics of the core and accessory genomes of 48 Sinorhizobium strains comprising five genospecies. Genome Biol. 2013;14:R17 pubmed publisher..The diversity of genes present in the accessory genomes of members of this genus indicates that each bacterium has adopted slightly different strategies to interact with diverse plant genera and soil environments. ..
- Siegrist M, Steigedal M, Ahmad R, Mehra A, Dragset M, Schuster B, et al. Mycobacterial Esx-3 requires multiple components for iron acquisition. MBio. 2014;5:e01073-14 pubmed publisher..Although protein export clearly contributes to type VII function, the relationship is not absolute. ..
- Green E, Mecsas J. Bacterial Secretion Systems: An Overview. Microbiol Spectr. 2016;4: pubmed publisher..Additionally, we address recent findings that indicate that the innate immune system of the host can detect and respond to the presence of protein secretion systems during mammalian infection. ..
- Harrison J, Dung T, Siddiqui F, Korbrisate S, Bukhari H, Tra M, et al. Identification of possible virulence marker from Campylobacter jejuni isolates. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1026-9 pubmed publisher..We investigated 181 C. jejuni isolates from humans, chickens, and environmental sources in Vietnam, Thailand, Pakistan, and the United Kingdom for T6SS. The marker was most prevalent in human and chicken isolates from Vietnam. ..
- Mills E, Baruch K, Aviv G, Nitzan M, Rosenshine I. Dynamics of the type III secretion system activity of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. MBio. 2013;4: pubmed publisher..Further, the newly described microscopy-based assay can be readily adapted to study the dynamics of TTSS activity in other pathogens. ..
- Hartmann N, Büttner D. The inner membrane protein HrcV from Xanthomonas spp. is involved in substrate docking during type III secretion. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2013;26:1176-89 pubmed publisher..Mutations in the FHIPEP motif abolish HrcV function but do not affect the interaction of HrcVC with effector proteins. ..
- Hu B, Lara Tejero M, Kong Q, Galan J, Liu J. In Situ Molecular Architecture of the Salmonella Type III Secretion Machine. Cell. 2017;168:1065-1074.e10 pubmed publisher..These studies provide major insight into the structure and assembly of a broadly distributed protein secretion machine. ..