Summary: Writings having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest. The body of written works produced in a particular language, country, or age. (Webster, 3d ed)
- Muller H, Kenny E, Sternberg P. Textpresso: an ontology-based information retrieval and extraction system for biological literature. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:e309 pubmedWe have developed Textpresso, a new text-mining system for scientific literature whose capabilities go far beyond those of a simple keyword search engine...
- Oyebode F. The medical humanities: literature and medicine. Clin Med (Lond). 2010;10:242-4 pubmed..This article argues that the goal of medical humanities can be furthered by literature. Autobiographical accounts are used to illustrate the various ways in which literature can influence and enrich ..
- Attwood T, Kell D, McDermott P, Marsh J, Pettifer S, Thorne D. Utopia documents: linking scholarly literature with research data. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:i568-74 pubmed publisherIn recent years, the gulf between the mass of accumulating-research data and the massive literature describing and analyzing those data has widened...
- Rubinstein R, Simon I. MILANO--custom annotation of microarray results using automatic literature searches. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:12 pubmed..b>Literature mining--the process of representing literature data in a fashion that is easy to relate to genomic data--is one ..
- Hughes J, Foti N, Krakauer D, Rockmore D. Quantitative patterns of stylistic influence in the evolution of literature. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:7682-6 pubmed publisherb>Literature is a form of expression whose temporal structure, both in content and style, provides a historical record of the evolution of culture...
- Anderson E, DuBois J. The need for evidence-based research ethics: a review of the substance abuse literature. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007;86:95-105 pubmed..This article reviews two bodies of substance abuse research ethics literature. First, "normative" articles, that is, articles that discuss ethical issues that may arise in ..
- Charon R. Reading, writing, and doctoring: literature and medicine. Am J Med Sci. 2000;319:285-91 pubmedb>Literature and medicine share an inherently enduring relationship...
- Charon R. Literature and medicine: origins and destinies. Acad Med. 2000;75:23-7 pubmedb>Literature and medicine is a flourishing subdiscipline of literary studies that examines the many relations between literary acts and texts and medical acts and texts...
- Dickman S. Tough mining: the challenges of searching the scientific literature. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E48 pubmed
- Jensen M. Questionnaire validation: a brief guide for readers of the research literature. Clin J Pain. 2003;19:345-52 pubmed..The purpose of this commentary is to provide a summary of these psychometric issues, using the study and findings of Krause and Backonja as an illustrative example of the concepts. ..
- Falsetti A. Fluoxetine-induced suicidal ideation: an examination of the medical literature, case law, and the legal liability of drug manufacturers. Food Drug Law J. 2002;57:247-67 pubmed
- Ono T, Hishigaki H, Tanigami A, Takagi T. Automated extraction of information on protein-protein interactions from the biological literature. Bioinformatics. 2001;17:155-61 pubmed..However, since information about protein-protein interactions still exists primarily in the scientific literature, it is not accessible in a computer-readable format...
- Shapiro J, Lie D. Using literature to help physician-learners understand and manage "difficult" patients. Acad Med. 2000;75:765-8 pubmed..b>Literature--short stories, poems, and patient narratives--is a little-explored educational tool to help residents in ..
- Cardoso A, Fernandes A, Aguilar Pimentel J, de Angelis M, Guedes J, Brito M, et al. Towards frailty biomarkers: Candidates from genes and pathways regulated in aging and age-related diseases. Ageing Res Rev. 2018;47:214-277 pubmed publisher..neuromuscular junction) and neurons, (6) cytoskeleton and hormones, or (7) other principles and an extensive literature search was performed for each candidate to explore their potential and priority as frailty biomarkers...
- Reperant L, Brown I, Haenen O, de Jong M, Osterhaus A, Papa A, et al. Companion Animals as a Source of Viruses for Human Beings and Food Production Animals. J Comp Pathol. 2016;155:S41-53 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we reviewed the literature for accounts of infections of companion animals by zoonotic viruses and viruses of food production animals, and ..
- Schatz F, Guzeloglu Kayisli O, Arlier S, Kayisli U, Lockwood C. The role of decidual cells in uterine hemostasis, menstruation, inflammation, adverse pregnancy outcomes and abnormal uterine bleeding. Hum Reprod Update. 2016;22:497-515 pubmed publisher..We conducted a critical review of the literature arising from PubMed searches up to December 2015, regarding in situ and in vitro expression and regulation of ..
- Chik W, Zhu L, Fan L, Yi T, Zhu G, Gou X, et al. Saussurea involucrata: A review of the botany, phytochemistry and ethnopharmacology of a rare traditional herbal medicine. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;172:44-60 pubmed publisher..involucrata. An extensive review of the literature was carried out...
- Adil M, Amin S, Arif T. Nicolau's syndrome: A rare but preventable iatrogenic disease. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2017;25:251-253 pubmed..occurring after intramuscular, intra-articular, intravenous, and subcutaneous injections have appeared in the literature associated with a variety of drugs like NSAIDs, vitamin K, penicillin, antihistamines, corticosteroids, local ..
- Shikov A, Pozharitskaya O, Makarov V. Aralia elata var. mandshurica (Rupr. & Maxim.) J.Wen: An overview of pharmacological studies. Phytomedicine. 2016;23:1409-1421 pubmed publisher..elata was systematically collected from the scientific literature through library catalogs; online services such as E-library...
- Tutar Y. miRNA and cancer; computational and experimental approaches. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2014;15:429 pubmed..Cho's group along with translational therapeutics. Dr. Papavassiliou highlights recent literature on miRNA-colerectal cancer...
- Sinmisola A, Oluwasesan B, Chukwuemeka A. Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig: A review on its phytochemistry, pharmacological and nutritional properties. J Ethnopharmacol. 2019;235:446-459 pubmed publisher..A literature search was performed on Ackee using ethno botanical text books and scientific databases such as PubMed, Scopus, ..
- Müderris T, Ürkmez F, Kucuker S, Sağlam M, Yilmaz G, Guner R, et al. [Bacteremia caused by ciprofloxacin-resistant Salmonella serotype Kentucky: a case report and the review of literature]. Mikrobiyol Bul. 2016;50:598-605 pubmed..The patient died four days after the antibiotherapy has stopped due to cardiac reasons. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case infected with ciprofloxacin-resistant Salmonella Kentucky in our country. ..
- Dănescu S, Szolga B, Georgiu C, Surcel A, Corina Șenilă S. Unusual Manifestations of Secondary Syphilis: Case Presentations. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2018;26:186-188 pubmed..only 15 cases with nodular lesions and 10 cases with periostitis in secondary syphilis have been reported in the literature. The first patient was a 59 year old man who presented in a private practice with nodular lesions on the face ..
- Mazzio E, Lewis C, Soliman K. Transcriptomic Profiling of MDA-MB-231 Cells Exposed to Boswellia Serrata and 3-O-Acetyl-B-Boswellic Acid; ER/UPR Mediated Programmed Cell Death. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2017;14:409-425 pubmed..and 3-O-Acetyl-?-boswellic acid (3-OA?BA) were relatively potent, findings that corroborate the body of existing literature. The effects of BSE and 3-OA?BA on genetic parameters in MDA-MB-231 cells were evaluated by examining whole-..
- Waddell M. '...the depth to which the root reaches, just beyond the constrictions'. Psychol Psychother. 2004;77:161-5 pubmed
- Aronson S. Blessed are the pure in heart. Med Health R I. 2007;90:39 pubmed
- Emokpae M, Aruomaren A, Osime E. Relationship between Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte Ratio and Inflammatory Markers in Sickle Cell Anaemia Patients with Proteinuria. Med Sci (Basel). 2016;4: pubmed publisher..neutrophil-to-lymphocyte (NLR) and platelet-to-lymphocyte (PLR) ratios in SCA patients in Africans exist in the literature. This study correlates the values of NLR and PLR with measured traditional inflammatory markers in SCA patients ..
- Sperber M. Thoreau's hallucinated mountain. Psychoanal Rev. 2004;91:699-704 pubmed
- Frank A. What is dialogical research, and why should we do it?. Qual Health Res. 2005;15:964-74 pubmed..The author's questions relate to what dialogical research would look like and the ethical imperative of dialogical research. ..
- Cotti P. Hunger and love: Schiller and the origin of drive dualism in Freud's work. Int J Psychoanal. 2007;88:167-82 pubmed..He was thereby able to bury an internal criticism which was at odds with his persistence in describing the father as a seducer, and to conceal scenes in which he was defeated and sexually subdued by another boy. ..
- Liang J, Luo B. It was all planned … now what? Claiming agency in later life in reforming China. Ageing Soc. 2017;37:2074-2102 pubmed publisher..The findings have refuted gerontological literature and public discourse that often portray Chinese elders as passive care recipients or helpless dependants...
- Wallach M. Listening to Oedipus: two poems by sons about fathers. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2005;33:191-206 pubmed..Poetry provides a mirror for the increasing richness, scope, and dialectical play that can be found in contemporary psychoanalysis. ..
- Murphy T. Does it make sense to use fiction as a guide to bioethics?. Chron High Educ. 2005;51:B13 pubmed
- Fazio L, Marsh E. Older, not younger, children learn more false facts from stories. Cognition. 2008;106:1081-9 pubmed..Older children, however, were better able to form memories of the misinformation and thus showed greater suggestibility on the general knowledge test. ..
- Ogden T. On psychoanalytic writing. Int J Psychoanal. 2005;86:15-29 pubmed
- Shermer M. The (other) secret. Sci Am. 2007;296:39 pubmed
- Berger V, Ioannidis J. The Decameron of poor research. BMJ. 2004;329:1436-40 pubmed
- Christopher J, Goldberg B, Swan A. Long tailed trions in monolayer MoS2: Temperature dependent asymmetry and resulting red-shift of trion photoluminescence spectra. Sci Rep. 2017;7:14062 pubmed publisher..We analyze the temperature-dependent PL to reveal the effective trion size, consistent with the literature, and the temperature dependence of the band gap and spin-orbit splitting of the valence band...
- Collins J, Waldmann C, Drake C, Slavik R, Ha N, Sergeev M, et al. Production of diverse PET probes with limited resources: 24 18F-labeled compounds prepared with a single radiosynthesizer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:11309-11314 pubmed publisher..Most probes were produced with yields and synthesis times comparable to literature reports, and because hardware modification was unnecessary, it was convenient to frequently switch among probes ..
- Riva M, Sironi V, Cesana G. [The eclecticism in Bernardino Ramazzini: the analysis of non-medical sources of "De Morbis Artificum Diatriba"]. Med Secoli. 2011;23:511-26 pubmed..Probably Ramazzini cited them because of lack of information on workers and their diseases in medical literature. So, only "non medical" sources could provide enough information on living conditions of workers that ..
- Garla V, Brandt C. Knowledge-based biomedical word sense disambiguation: an evaluation and application to clinical document classification. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:882-6 pubmed publisher..All codes required to reproduce our results and all tools developed as part of this study are released as open source, available under http://code.google.com/p/ytex. ..
- Baertschi B. [Philosophers' humanitarianism hard-hit by the social reality]. Rev Med Suisse. 2007;3:2749-50 pubmed
- Hall D. Designing Clinical Trials for Assessing the Effectiveness of Interventions for Tinnitus. Trends Hear. 2017;21:2331216517736689 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive reviews of the literature confirm the diversity of the personal impact of tinnitus and illustrate a lack of consensus in what aspects of ..
- Meynell G. John Locke and the preface to Thomas Sydenham's Observationes medicae. Med Hist. 2006;50:93-110 pubmed
- Paciaroni M, Kilcline T. Misidentifications in Pirandello's plays and short stories. Front Neurol Neurosci. 2013;31:69-76 pubmed publisher..Pirandello continued to elaborate upon this concept of mutable ego, established by Blaise Pascal in the 1600s and carried on by the French psychologist Alfred Binet. ..
- Niu C. [Methods of English translation for Huangdi Neijing]. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2005;3:160-4 pubmed
- Willems R, Jacobs A. Caring About Dostoyevsky: The Untapped Potential of Studying Literature. Trends Cogn Sci. 2016;20:243-245 pubmed publisher..With advances in analysis techniques, it is time that cognitive scientists and neuroscientists embrace literature and fiction.
- Montes Santiago J. [Miguel de Cervantes: medical knowledge, ailments, and death]. An Med Interna. 2005;22:293-7 pubmed..However, some others explanations like heart failure are possible and certain data suggest terminal renal failure as his last illness. ..
- Oxman R. Response to "Science, skepticism, and global warming". Am J Med. 2006;119:e13; author reply e15 pubmed
- Wang A, Stormont I, Siddiqui M. A Review of Imaging Modalities Used in the Diagnosis and Management of Scrotal Trauma. Curr Urol Rep. 2017;18:98 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the existing literature on the use of various imaging modalities in assessment of blunt and penetrating scrotal trauma and common ..
- Shapiro E, Jones S, Escolar M. Developmental and behavioral aspects of mucopolysaccharidoses with brain manifestations - Neurological signs and symptoms. Mol Genet Metab. 2017;122S:1-7 pubmed publisher..symptoms in patients with MPS I, II, and III, based on presentations and discussions among an international group of experts during a meeting on the brain in MPS on April 28-30, 2016, and additional literature searches on this subject.
- Virchow C. [80 years "the magic mountain by Thomas Mann"]. Pneumologie. 2004;58:791-802 pubmed
- Charlier P. [The madness of Herakles in Euripides and Sophocles]. Med Secoli. 2003;15:595-614 pubmed..Heralkes, who kills his wife Megara and their sons, is the best example of Greek literature offers of the tragic consequences of mental disease...
- Zucker T, Cabell S, Justice L, Pentimonti J, Kaderavek J. The role of frequent, interactive prekindergarten shared reading in the longitudinal development of language and literacy skills. Dev Psychol. 2013;49:1425-39 pubmed publisher..The frequency of preschool shared reading was not a significant predictor of longitudinal outcomes. ..
- Scharnhorst G. Mark Twain's " How to remove warts and tattoo marks" authenticated. ANQ. 2004;17:41-3 pubmed
- Youniss J. G. Stanley Hall and his times: Too much so, yet not enough. Hist Psychol. 2006;9:224-35 pubmed
- Priel B. Negative capability and truth in Borges's 'Emma Zunz'. Int J Psychoanal. 2004;85:935-49 pubmed
- Brunaldi V, Jirapinyo P, de Moura D, Okazaki O, Bernardo W, Galvao Neto M, et al. Endoscopic Treatment of Weight Regain Following Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obes Surg. 2018;28:266-276 pubmed publisher..We searched MEDLINE, EMBASE, Scopus, Web of Science, Cochrane, OVID, CINAHL/EBSCo, LILACS/Bireme, and gray literature. Primary outcomes were absolute weight loss (AWL), excess weight loss (EWL), and total body weight loss (TBWL)...
- Terrisse S, Comblor M, Verine J, Gauthier H, Mongiat Artus P, Culine S. Primary adenocarcinoma of the seminal vesicle. Rare Tumors. 2017;9:7074 pubmed publisherPrimary adenocarcinoma of the seminal vesicle is a rare condition with only about 60 cases described in the literature. The unusual characteristics of this disease makes diagnosis difficult and treatment strategies differ as there are no ..
- van Prooijen J, Douglas K. Conspiracy theories as part of history: The role of societal crisis situations. Mem Stud. 2017;10:323-333 pubmed publisher..We then review the psychological literature to explain why this is the case...
- Taieb O, Revah Levy A, Moro M, Baubet T. Is Ricoeur's Notion of Narrative Identity Useful in Understanding Recovery in Drug Addicts?. Qual Health Res. 2008;18:990-1000 pubmed publisherFrom Ricoeur's narrative theory, we argue that drug addicts may particularly need the help of literature, in a broad sense- fiction, history, and also specialized literature on addiction-to make their lives intelligible, to construct ..
- Roberts J. Migrating across literature, stories, and family therapy. Fam Process. 2005;44:407-11 pubmed
- Kim H, Chey J. Effects of education, literacy, and dementia on the Clock Drawing Test performance. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2010;16:1138-46 pubmed publisher..Conceptual errors in the CDT can be the result of not only dementia but also lack of education. ..