Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic phospholipid used in liposomes and lipid bilayers for the study of biological membranes.
- Waheed Q, Edholm O. Undulation contributions to the area compressibility in lipid bilayer simulations. Biophys J. 2009;97:2754-60 pubmed publisher..As a byproduct, the bending modulus can be calculated from the slope of the compressibility modulus versus system-size. The values obtained in this way for the bending modulus are then in good agreement with experiment. ..
- Park K, Yun C, Kwon O, Kim C, Kim J, Cho K. Enhanced delivery of adenovirus, using proteoliposomes containing wildtype or V156K apolipoprotein A-I and dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine. Hum Gene Ther. 2010;21:579-87 pubmed publisher..to enhance delivery efficiency, proteoliposomes (PLs) containing adenovirus (Ad) were synthesized with dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC), cholesterol, and apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I)...
- Chiu S, Pandit S, Scott H, Jakobsson E. An improved united atom force field for simulation of mixed lipid bilayers. J Phys Chem B. 2009;113:2748-63 pubmed publisher..43-A1-S3 compares favorably with other force fields used in conjunction with the Gromacs simulation package with respect to the breadth of phenomena that it accurately reproduces. ..
- Kucerka N, Marquardt D, Harroun T, Nieh M, Wassall S, de Jong D, et al. Cholesterol in bilayers with PUFA chains: doping with DMPC or POPC results in sterol reorientation and membrane-domain formation. Biochemistry. 2010;49:7485-93 pubmed publisher..e., flat orientation). These results lend credence to DMPC's aversion for PUFAs, supporting the notion that domain formation is primarily driven by lipids. ..
- Kitajima H, Komizu Y, Ueoka R. Hybrid liposomes inhibit growth and invasion of human osteosarcoma cells leading to apoptosis. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:1784-7 pubmed publisherMarked inhibitory effects of hybrid liposomes (HL-n; n=21, 23, 25) composed of 90 mol% l-?-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and 10 mol% polyoxyethylene(n) dodecyl ethers on the growth of two human osteosarcoma cell lines (MG-63 and U-..
- Damai R, Sankhala R, Anbazhagan V, Swamy M. 31P NMR and AFM studies on the destabilization of cell and model membranes by the major bovine seminal plasma protein, PDC-109. IUBMB Life. 2010;62:841-51 pubmed publisherThe effect of PDC-109 binding to dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and dipalmitoylphosphatidylglycerol (DPPG) multilamellar vesicles (MLVs) and supported membranes was investigated by (31)P NMR spectroscopy and atomic force microscopy...
- Towata T, Komizu Y, Suzu S, Ueoka R, Okada S. Highly selective fusion and accumulation of hybrid liposomes into primary effusion lymphoma cells along with induction of apoptosis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;393:445-8 pubmed publisher..Hybrid liposomes, composed of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and polyoxyethylene (21) dodecyl ether (C12(EO)21) (HL-21), were rapidly accumulated in the ..
- Towata T, Komizu Y, Kariya R, Suzu S, Matsumoto Y, Kobayashi N, et al. Hybrid liposomes inhibit the growth of cholangiocarcinoma by induction of cell cycle arrest in G1 phase. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2010;20:3680-2 pubmed publisher..arrest were observed in human cholangiocarcinoma cells by hybrid liposomes composed of 90 mol% L-alpha-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and 10 mol% polyoxyethylene(21)dodecyl ether (C(12)(EO)(21)) without affecting normal ..
- Fernandez D, Le Brun A, Whitwell T, Sani M, James M, Separovic F. The antimicrobial peptide aurein 1.2 disrupts model membranes via the carpet mechanism. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2012;14:15739-51 pubmed publisher..using a range of biophysical techniques to determine the location and the mechanism of action in DMPC (dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine) and DMPC/DMPG (dimyristoylphosphatidylglycerol) model membranes that mimic characteristics of ..
- Desbat B, Lancelot E, Krell T, Nicolai M, Vogel F, Chevalier M, et al. Effect of the ?-propiolactone treatment on the adsorption and fusion of influenza A/Brisbane/59/2007 and A/New Caledonia/20/1999 virus H1N1 on a dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine/ganglioside GM3 mixed phospholipids monolayer at the air-water interface. Langmuir. 2011;27:13675-83 pubmed publisher..Our data also indicate that BPL chemically modifies hemagglutinin, which mediates the interaction with GM3. ..
- Towata T, Komizu Y, Suzu S, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R, Okada S. Hybrid liposomes inhibit the growth of primary effusion lymphoma in vitro and in vivo. Leuk Res. 2010;34:906-11 pubmed publisher..Hybrid liposomes (HL), composed of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and polyoxyethylene dodecyl ether, inhibited PEL cell proliferation and induced apoptosis in ..
- Ichihara H, Funamoto K, Matsushita T, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R. Histological bioanalysis for therapeutic effects of hybrid liposomes on the hepatic metastasis of colon carcinoma in vivo. Int J Pharm. 2010;394:174-8 pubmed publisherTherapeutic effects of hybrid liposomes (HL) composed of l-alpha-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and polyoxyethylene (23) dodecylether (C(12)(EO)(23)) on the metastasis of colon carcinoma (Colon26) cells were examined in vivo...
- Cho B, Park J, Nakamura M, ODINTSOV B, Wallig M, Chung B. Synthetic dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine liposomes assimilating into high-density lipoprotein promote regression of atherosclerotic lesions in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2010;235:1194-203 pubmed publisher..g/mL) plasma fraction from cholesterol-fed rabbits to assimilate multilamellar liposomes of synthetic dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC)...
- Busch S, Unruh T. The influence of additives on the nanoscopic dynamics of the phospholipid dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1808:199-208 pubmed publisherThe influence of additives on the molecular dynamics of the phospholipid dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) in its fully hydrated liquid crystalline phase was studied...
- Gorfe A, Hanzal Bayer M, Abankwa D, Hancock J, McCammon J. Structure and dynamics of the full-length lipid-modified H-Ras protein in a 1,2-dimyristoylglycero-3-phosphocholine bilayer. J Med Chem. 2007;50:674-84 pubmed..The implications of the results to membrane lateral segregation and other aspects of Ras signaling are discussed. ..
- Dittmer J, Thøgersen L, Underhaug J, Bertelsen K, Vosegaard T, Pedersen J, et al. Incorporation of antimicrobial peptides into membranes: a combined liquid-state NMR and molecular dynamics study of alamethicin in DMPC/DHPC bicelles. J Phys Chem B. 2009;113:6928-37 pubmed publisher..The MD simulations provide a statistical base that reflects our NMR data and even can explain some initially surprising NMR results concerning specific interactions between alamethicin and the lipids. ..
- Nakano K, Iwamoto Y, Takata W, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R. Specific accumulation and growth inhibitory effects of hybrid liposomes to hepatoma cells in vitro. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2002;12:3251-4 pubmedSpecific accumulation and growth inhibitory effects of hybrid liposomes composed of 90 mol% dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine and 10 mol% polyoxyethylene(23)dodecyl ether were obtained in human hepatoma cells without affecting normal liver ..
- Iwamoto Y, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R. Induction of apoptosis of human lung carcinoma cells by hybrid liposomes containing polyoxyethylenedodecyl ether. Int J Pharm. 2005;292:231-9 pubmed..A clear solution of hybrid liposomes composed of 90 mol% dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and 10 mol% polyoxyethylene(23)dodecyl ether (C12(EO)23) having a hydrodynamic diameter of 100-..
- Soubias O, Jolibois F, Massou S, Milon A, Reat V. Determination of the orientation and dynamics of ergosterol in model membranes using uniform 13C labeling and dynamically averaged 13C chemical shift anisotropies as experimental restraints. Biophys J. 2005;89:1120-31 pubmedA new strategy was established to determine the average orientation and dynamics of ergosterol in dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine model membranes...
- Chandrasekhar I, van Gunsteren W, Zandomeneghi G, Williamson P, Meier B. Orientation and conformational preference of leucine-enkephalin at the surface of a hydrated dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine bilayer: NMR and MD simulation. J Am Chem Soc. 2006;128:159-70 pubmedThe morphogenic opiate pentapeptide leucine-enkephalin (lenk) in a hydrated dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) bilayer is studied using NMR spectroscopy and molecular dynamics simulation...
- Tepper H, Voth G. Mechanisms of passive ion permeation through lipid bilayers: insights from simulations. J Phys Chem B. 2006;110:21327-37 pubmed..Permeability differences between anions and cations through phosphatidylcholine bilayers are correlated with suppression of favorable membrane breathing modes by cations. ..
- Kucerka N, Liu Y, Chu N, Petrache H, Tristram Nagle S, Nagle J. Structure of fully hydrated fluid phase DMPC and DLPC lipid bilayers using X-ray scattering from oriented multilamellar arrays and from unilamellar vesicles. Biophys J. 2005;88:2626-37 pubmedQuantitative structures of the fully hydrated fluid phases of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and dilauroylphosphatidylcholine (DLPC) were obtained at 30 degrees C...
- Davis J, Rahaman O, Patel S. Molecular dynamics simulations of a DMPC bilayer using nonadditive interaction models. Biophys J. 2009;96:385-402 pubmed publisher..We present results of molecular dynamics simulations of a solvated dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine bilayer using this polarizable force field as well as the nonpolarizable, fixed-charge CHARMM27 and ..
- Pedersen U, Peters G, Westh P. Molecular packing in 1-hexanol-DMPC bilayers studied by molecular dynamics simulation. Biophys Chem. 2007;125:104-11 pubmed..The net effect in the core is a 2-3% decrease in density corresponding to a total volume increase of approximately 14 cm(3) mol(-1) hexanol partitioned. ..
- Cheng J, Hale J, Elliot M, Hancock R, Straus S. Effect of membrane composition on antimicrobial peptides aurein 2.2 and 2.3 from Australian southern bell frogs. Biophys J. 2009;96:552-65 pubmed publisher..3-COOH was the least efficient. Taken together, these data show that the membrane interactions of aurein peptides are affected by the hydrophobic thickness of the lipid bilayers and the PG content. ..
- Bayburt T, Grinkova Y, Sligar S. Assembly of single bacteriorhodopsin trimers in bilayer nanodiscs. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2006;450:215-22 pubmed..These nanoscale bilayers offer the opportunity to understand and control the assembly of oligomeric integral membrane proteins critical to macromolecular recognition and cellular signaling. ..
- Luo W, Hong M. Determination of the oligomeric number and intermolecular distances of membrane protein assemblies by anisotropic 1H-driven spin diffusion NMR spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc. 2006;128:7242-51 pubmed..Thus, the CODEX technique presents a general method for determining the oligomeric number and intermolecular distances in the approximately 10 angstroms range in membrane proteins and other complex biological assemblies. ..
- Massey J, Pownall H. Cholesterol is a determinant of the structures of discoidal high density lipoproteins formed by the solubilization of phospholipid membranes by apolipoprotein A-I. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1781:245-53 pubmed publisher..The size speciation of rHDL and probably nascent HDL formed via the activity of the ABCA1 lipid transporter is mechanistically linked to the cholesterol content of the membranes from which they were formed. ..
- Gorfe A, Pellarin R, Caflisch A. Membrane localization and flexibility of a lipidated ras peptide studied by molecular dynamics simulations. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:15277-86 pubmed..The peptide in the membrane is rather rigid over the simulation time scale of about 10 ns, but different partially extended conformations devoid of backbone hydrogen bonds are observed in different trajectories. ..
- Huster D, Vogel A, Katzka C, Scheidt H, Binder H, Dante S, et al. Membrane insertion of a lipidated ras peptide studied by FTIR, solid-state NMR, and neutron diffraction spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:4070-9 pubmed
- Segall M, Dhanasekaran P, Baldwin F, Anantharamaiah G, Weisgraber K, Phillips M, et al. Influence of apoE domain structure and polymorphism on the kinetics of phospholipid vesicle solubilization. J Lipid Res. 2002;43:1688-700 pubmed..They suggest that flexibility in an apolipoprotein molecule increases the time-averaged exposure of hydrophobic surface area, thereby increasing the rate of phospholipid solubilization. ..
- Nielsen L, Bjørnholm T, Mouritsen O. Thermodynamic and real-space structural evidence of a 2D critical point in phospholipid monolayers. Langmuir. 2007;23:11684-92 pubmed..Additional results are presented demonstrating the presence of striped phases and coexisting domains in binary mixtures. ..
- Biverståhl H, Andersson A, Gräslund A, Mäler L. NMR solution structure and membrane interaction of the N-terminal sequence (1-30) of the bovine prion protein. Biochemistry. 2004;43:14940-7 pubmed..These findings may lead to a better understanding of how the prion protein accumulates at the membrane surface and also how the conversion into the scrapie form is carried out. ..
- Sachs J, Petrache H, Woolf T. Interpretation of small angle X-ray measurements guided by molecular dynamics simulations of lipid bilayers. Chem Phys Lipids. 2003;126:211-23 pubmed..In this way we are able to remove some of the restrictions imposed by limited scattering data in constructing reliable electron density profiles. ..
- Jo S, Kim T, Im W. Automated builder and database of protein/membrane complexes for molecular dynamics simulations. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e880 pubmed..Therefore, Membrane Builder provides the intuitive and easy way to build and simulate the biologically important membrane system. ..
- Babakhani A, Gorfe A, Gullingsrud J, Kim J, Andrew McCammon J. Peptide insertion, positioning, and stabilization in a membrane: insight from an all-atom molecular dynamics simulation. Biopolymers. 2007;85:490-7 pubmed..Finally, the diffusion rate of the peptides in the membrane plane is calculated (based on experimental peptide concentrations) to be approximately 6 A(2)/ns, thus suggesting a 500 ns time scale for intermolecular interactions. ..
- Chou J, Baber J, Bax A. Characterization of phospholipid mixed micelles by translational diffusion. J Biomol NMR. 2004;29:299-308 pubmed
- Li C, Yi M, Hu J, Zhou H, Cross T. Solid-state NMR and MD simulations of the antiviral drug amantadine solubilized in DMPC bilayers. Biophys J. 2008;94:1295-302 pubmed..The lipid headgroup orientation changes on drug binding as characterized by the anisotropy of (31)P chemical shielding and (14)N quadrupolar interactions and by the MD simulation. ..
- Gorfe A, Babakhani A, McCammon J. H-ras protein in a bilayer: interaction and structure perturbation. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:12280-6 pubmed..The results provide structural arguments in support of the proposed participation of ras in the organization of membrane nanoclusters. ..
- Zhu K, Brubaker G, Smith J. Large disk intermediate precedes formation of apolipoprotein A-I-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine small disks. Biochemistry. 2007;46:6299-307 pubmedSmall approximately 8.5 nm disks formed spontaneously when dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) large unilamellar vesicles (LUVs) were incubated with apolipoprotein A-I (apoA-I) (100:1 molar ratio)...
- Nagami H, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R. Induction of apoptosis by hybrid liposomes for human breast tumor cells along with activation of caspases. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29:380-1 pubmed..Highly inhibitory effects of hybrid liposomes on the growth of human breast tumor cells in vitro were obtained. It is worthy to note that induction of apoptosis through activation of caspases by hybrid liposomes was clearly observed. ..
- Singh J, Unlu Z, Ranganathan R, Griffiths P. Aggregate properties of sodium deoxycholate and dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine mixed micelles. J Phys Chem B. 2008;112:3997-4008 pubmed publisherMixed micelles of the phospholipid dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and bile salts of sodium deoxycholate (NaDC) were investigated by a combination of techniques, including time-resolved fluorescence quenching (TRFQ), electron spin ..
- Orädd G, Lindblom G, Westerman P. Lateral diffusion of cholesterol and dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine in a lipid bilayer measured by pulsed field gradient NMR spectroscopy. Biophys J. 2002;83:2702-4 pubmed..cholesterol, fluorine labeled at the 6-position, for an oriented lamellar liquid-crystalline phase of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC)/cholesterol/water...
- Tristram Nagle S, Liu Y, Legleiter J, Nagle J. Structure of gel phase DMPC determined by X-ray diffraction. Biophys J. 2002;83:3324-35 pubmedThe structure of fully hydrated gel phase dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine lipid bilayers was obtained at 10 degrees C. Oriented lipid multilayers were used to obtain high signal-to-noise intensity data...
- Matsumoto Y, Iwamoto Y, Matsushita T, Ueoka R. Novel mechanism of hybrid liposomes-induced apoptosis in human tumor cells. Int J Cancer. 2005;115:377-82 pubmed..Hybrid liposomes composed of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine and polyoxyethylene (10) dodecyl ether were found to inhibit the growth of human promyelocytic ..
- Gurtovenko A, Vattulainen I. Pore formation coupled to ion transport through lipid membranes as induced by transmembrane ionic charge imbalance: atomistic molecular dynamics study. J Am Chem Soc. 2005;127:17570-1 pubmed..The findings highlight the importance of ionic charge fluctuations in spontaneous pore formation and their role in ion leakage through protein-free lipid membranes. ..
- Klauda J, Kucerka N, Brooks B, Pastor R, Nagle J. Simulation-based methods for interpreting x-ray data from lipid bilayers. Biophys J. 2006;90:2796-807 pubmed..This approach is independent of structural models and could be used to determine structural properties of bilayers with different lipids, cholesterol, and peptides. ..
- Ichihara H, Nagami H, Yamamoto K, Matsumoto Y, Ueoka R. [Chemotherapy with hybrid liposomes without any drug in vivo]. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2003;123:25-34 pubmed..with B-16 melanoma cells after the intraperitoneal treatment with hybrid liposomes composed of L-alpha-dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) and polyoxyethylenedodecyl ether (C12(EO)n, n = 10 and 23 respectivery) which had a uniform and ..
- Promsri S, Ullmann G, Hannongbua S. Molecular dynamics simulation of HIV-1 fusion domain-membrane complexes: Insight into the N-terminal gp41 fusion mechanism. Biophys Chem. 2012;170:9-16 pubmed publisher..The previously experimental data together with our simulation data reveal that fusion ability depends on the membrane-associated conformation and alignment of the peptide. ..
- Knauf K, Meister A, Kerth A, Blume A. Interaction of alkyltrimethylammonium bromides with DMPC-d(54) and DMPG-d(54) monolayers studied by infrared reflection absorption spectroscopy (IRRAS). J Colloid Interface Sci. 2010;342:243-52 pubmed publisher..The influence of the surfactant headgroup charge and its alkyl chain length on the incorporation into lipid monolayers is discussed. ..
- Gagnon M, Strandberg E, Ulrich A, Paquin J, Auger M. New insights into the influence of Monofluorination on Dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine membrane properties: A solid-state NMR study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017;: pubmed publisher..approach to fluorine-labeling of peptides, we synthesized six monofluorinated derivatives of the lipid dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (F-DMPC), with the fluorine atom located along the acyl chain linked to the central glycerol position...