Genomes and Genes
monounsaturated fatty acids
Summary: Fatty acids which are unsaturated in only one position.
- Bouxsein N, McAllister C, Ewert K, Samuel C, Safinya C. Structure and gene silencing activities of monovalent and pentavalent cationic lipid vectors complexed with siRNA. Biochemistry. 2007;46:4785-92 pubmed..This property of CL-siRNA complexes contrasts to CL-DNA complexes, where the optimized transfection efficiencies of multivalent and monovalent lipids are comparable. ..
- Madeira C, Loura L, Prieto M, Fedorov A, Aires Barros M. Liposome complexation efficiency monitored by FRET: effect of charge ratio, helper lipid and plasmid size. Eur Biophys J. 2007;36:609-20 pubmed..Our study indicates that, despite the complexity of these systems not being totally described by our model, FRET is an informative technique in lipoplex characterization. ..
- Hardman W. Dietary canola oil suppressed growth of implanted MDA-MB 231 human breast tumors in nude mice. Nutr Cancer. 2007;57:177-83 pubmed..Use of canola oil instead of corn oil in the diet may be a reasonable means to increase consumption of n-3 fatty acids with potential significance for slowing growth of residual cancer cells in cancer survivors. ..
- Rasmussen L, Larsen T, Mortensen P, Due A, Astrup A. Effect on 24-h energy expenditure of a moderate-fat diet high in monounsaturated fatty acids compared with that of a low-fat, carbohydrate-rich diet: a 6-mo controlled dietary intervention trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85:1014-22 pubmedDietary fat has a lower thermogenic effect than does carbohydrate. A moderate-fat diet, high in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA diet), may decrease energy expenditure (EE) and thereby induce weight gain...
- Kusama T, Mukai M, Tatsuta M, Nakamura H, Inoue M. Inhibition of transendothelial migration and invasion of human breast cancer cells by preventing geranylgeranylation of Rho. Int J Oncol. 2006;29:217-23 pubmed..These results suggest that geranylgeranylation step of RhoA and RhoC could be a good therapeutic target for the prevention of invasion and metastasis of breast cancer cells. ..
- Helge J, Ayre K, Chaunchaiyakul S, Hulbert A, Kiens B, Storlien L. Endurance in high-fat-fed rats: effects of carbohydrate content and fatty acid profile. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1998;85:1342-8 pubmed..two fat-rich diets (65 E% fat, 20 E% protein, 15 E% carbohydrate) containing either saturated (Sat) or monounsaturated fatty acids (Mono)...
- Piligaev A, Sorokina K, Shashkov M, Parmon V. Screening and comparative metabolic profiling of high lipid content microalgae strains for application in wastewater treatment. Bioresour Technol. 2018;250:538-547 pubmed publisher..29?±?0.11%, with a total content of saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids of 71.9%...
- Sánchez C, Rodriguez E, Varela E, Zapata E, Paez A, Masso F, et al. Statin-induced inhibition of MCF-7 breast cancer cell proliferation is related to cell cycle arrest and apoptotic and necrotic cell death mediated by an enhanced oxidative stress. Cancer Invest. 2008;26:698-707 pubmed publisher..Statins induced increase in ROS production that was associated with cell death, which was abrogated by the antioxidant NAC. Our results suggest that the cytotoxic effect observed is mediated by an oxidative stress. ..
- Li D, Li G, Li P, Zhang L, Liu Z, Wang J, et al. The enhancement of transfection efficiency of cationic liposomes by didodecyldimethylammonium bromide coated gold nanoparticles. Biomaterials. 2010;31:1850-7 pubmed publisher..It has also been found that the DDAB-AuNPs could decrease the cytotoxicity of liposomes to the cells. ..
- Mustonen A, Käkelä R, Asikainen J, Nieminen P. Selective fatty acid mobilization from adipose tissues of the pheasant (Phasianus colchicus mongolicus) during food deprivation. Physiol Biochem Zool. 2009;82:531-40 pubmed publisher..The hepatic FA profile was resistant to the 4-d period of food deprivation. The results demonstrate that the incorporation of FA into WAT and their mobilization from lipid stores are selective not only in mammals but also in birds. ..
- Norby G, Holme I, Fellstrom B, Jardine A, Cole E, Abedini S, et al. Effect of fluvastatin on cardiac outcomes in kidney transplant patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a randomized placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:1060-4 pubmed publisher..9-119.4], P = 0.064). Our results indicate that the effect of fluvastatin on cardiac events in renal transplant recipients with SLE is similar to that observed with statin therapy in the renal transplant population as a whole. ..
- Bruss M, Khambatta C, Ruby M, Aggarwal I, Hellerstein M. Calorie restriction increases fatty acid synthesis and whole body fat oxidation rates. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;298:E108-16 pubmed publisher..This pattern may have implications for oxidative damage and disease risk. ..
- Kochhar S, Henry C. Oxidative stability and shelf-life evaluation of selected culinary oils. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009;60 Suppl 7:289-96 pubmed publisher..oils-namely, almond oil, avocado oil, hazelnut oil and macadamia nut oil-studied were rich sources of monounsaturated fatty acids like olive oil...
- Ruan D, Fouad A, Fan Q, Chen W, Xia W, Wang S, et al. Effects of corn dried distillers' grains with solubles on performance, egg quality, yolk fatty acid composition and oxidative status in laying ducks. Poult Sci. 2017;: pubmed publisher..05), but yolk color linearly increased (P < 0.001); the proportions of oleic (C18:1) and total monounsaturated fatty acids in egg yolk linearly decreased with increasing corn DDGS and many of the key polyunsaturated fatty ..
- Yang F, Jove V, Xin H, Hedvat M, Van Meter T, Yu H. Sunitinib induces apoptosis and growth arrest of medulloblastoma tumor cells by inhibiting STAT3 and AKT signaling pathways. Mol Cancer Res. 2010;8:35-45 pubmed publisher..Sunitinib also inhibited the migration of medulloblastoma tumor cells in vitro. These findings suggest the potential use of sunitinib for the treatment of pediatric medulloblastomas. ..
- Zhao J, Wang M, Xie J, Zhao M, Hou L, Liang J, et al. Volatile flavor constituents in the pork broth of black-pig. Food Chem. 2017;226:51-60 pubmed publisher..pork broth showed less fatty and more roasted notes, which were partially attributed to the higher monounsaturated fatty acids and lower polyunsaturated fatty acids in meat...
- Zdebik A. Statins and fibrate target ClC-1 - from side effects to CLC pharmacology. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;156:1204-5 pubmed publisher..These findings may well lead to a new era of CLC protein pharmacology. ..
- Wang W, Fu Y, Zu Y, Wu N, Reichling J, Efferth T. Lipid rafts play an important role in the vesicular stomatitis virus life cycle. Arch Virol. 2009;154:595-600 pubmed publisher..However, reduction of cholesterol and sphingomyelin at the same time dramatically reduced VSV production, showed a significant synergistic effect. These results suggest that lipid rafts play an important role in the life cycle of VSV. ..
- Moeder M, Schrader S, Winkler U, Rodil R. At-line microextraction by packed sorbent-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for the determination of UV filter and polycyclic musk compounds in water samples. J Chromatogr A. 2010;1217:2925-32 pubmed publisher..Dilution of samples prior to MEPS is recommended when the polar caffeine is present at high concentration. Real water samples were analyzed by the MEPS-GC-MS method and compared to standard SPE. ..
- Apple J, Maxwell C, Galloway D, Hamilton C, Yancey J. Interactive effects of dietary fat source and slaughter weight in growing-finishing swine: III. Carcass and fatty acid compositions. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:1441-54 pubmed publisher..001). Dietary fat source did not affect carcass composition; however, including 5% SBO in swine diets increased the polyunsaturation of pork, which could lead to economic ramifications associated with soft pork and pork fat. ..
- Mente A, Dehghan M, Rangarajan S, McQueen M, Dagenais G, Wielgosz A, et al. Association of dietary nutrients with blood lipids and blood pressure in 18 countries: a cross-sectional analysis from the PURE study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017;5:774-787 pubmed publisher..We assessed the associations between nutrients (total fats, saturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, and dietary cholesterol) and cardiovascular ..
- Li Z, Park T, Li Y, Pan X, Iqbal J, Lu D, et al. Serine palmitoyltransferase (SPT) deficient mice absorb less cholesterol. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1791:297-306 pubmed publisher..This may be also true for ABCA1 which locates on basal membrane of enterocytes. Manipulation of SPT activity could thus provide a novel alternative treatment for dyslipidemia...
- Ozdogan M, Ustundag A, Yarali E. Effect of mixed feeds containing different levels of olive cake on fattening performance, carcass, meat quality and fatty acids of lambs. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2017;49:1631-1636 pubmed publisher..to decrease total n-3 and total saturated fatty acids (? SFA), they also increased total n-6, n-6/n-3 ratio, total monounsaturated fatty acids (? MUFA), and total polyunsaturated fatty acids (? PUFA) were not different (P > 0.05).
- Soto Alarcon S, Valenzuela R, Valenzuela A, Videla L. Liver Protective Effects of Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Interaction between Its Chemical Composition and the Cell-signaling Pathways Involved in Protection. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18:75-84 pubmed publisher..Due to its high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, mainly oleic acid and phenolic compounds, such as hydroxytyrosol and oleuropein, EVOO is able to ..
- Doggrell S. Is atorvastatin superior to other statins? Analysis of the clinical trials with atorvastatin having cardiovascular endpoints. Rev Recent Clin Trials. 2006;1:143-53 pubmed..Alternatively, atorvastatin can be used in combination with a fibrate to increase HDL-cholesterol in patients with diabetes/metabolic syndrome. ..
- Jia X, Craig L, Aucott L, Milne A, McNeill G. Repeatability and validity of a food frequency questionnaire in free-living older people in relation to cognitive function. J Nutr Health Aging. 2008;12:735-41 pubmed..Poor short-term memory or executive function may affect FFQ validity in ranking nutrient intakes. ..
- Liu Z, Gao X, Yu J, Qian X, Xue G, Zhang Q, et al. Effects of different salinities on growth performance, survival, digestive enzyme activity, immune response, and muscle fatty acid composition in juvenile American shad (Alosa sapidissima). Fish Physiol Biochem. 2017;43:761-773 pubmed publisher..05). The level of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) exhibited a decreasing trend, while an increased level of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) was ..
- Aquino J, Vasconcelos M, Pessoa D, Soares J, Prado J, Mascarenhas R, et al. Intake of cookies made with buriti oil (Mauritia flexuosa) improves vitamin A status and lipid profiles in young rats. Food Funct. 2016;7:4442-4450 pubmed..The content of ?-carotene and monounsaturated fatty acids in the cookies was enhanced (p < 0.05) using buriti oil. Rats fed BOC showed an increase (p < 0...
- Akazawa Y, Cazanave S, Mott J, Elmi N, Bronk S, Kohno S, et al. Palmitoleate attenuates palmitate-induced Bim and PUMA up-regulation and hepatocyte lipoapoptosis. J Hepatol. 2010;52:586-93 pubmed publisher..These data suggest palmitoleate inhibits lipoapoptosis by blocking endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated increases of the BH3-only proteins Bim and PUMA. ..
- Kim D, Cho Y, Lee K, Jeong S, Kwon O. Oleate protects macrophages from palmitate-induced apoptosis through the downregulation of CD36 expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;488:477-482 pubmed publisher..Saturated fatty acids are more deleterious to non-adipose cells, and supplementation with monounsaturated fatty acids has been proposed to rescue cells from saturated fatty acid-induced cytotoxicity; however, the ..
- Junkin K, Dyck D, Mullen K, Chabowski A, Thrush A. Resistin acutely impairs insulin-stimulated glucose transport in rodent muscle in the presence, but not absence, of palmitate. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R944-51 pubmed publisher..Resistin's acute impairment of insulin response does not appear to require an absolute increase in ceramide content; however, reducing ceramide content alleviated the impairment in glucose transport and insulin signaling. ..
- Bikopoulos G, da Silva Pimenta A, Lee S, Lakey J, Der S, Chan C, et al. Ex vivo transcriptional profiling of human pancreatic islets following chronic exposure to monounsaturated fatty acids. J Endocrinol. 2008;196:455-64 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data indicate that chronic exposure of human islets to FFA activates inflammatory and metabolic pathways that lead to oxidative stress, reduced beta-cell insulin content, and inhibition of GSIS. ..
- Ohshima S, Fujimoto S, Petrov A, Nakagami H, Haider N, Zhou J, et al. Effect of an antimicrobial agent on atherosclerotic plaques: assessment of metalloproteinase activity by molecular imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:1240-9 pubmed publisher..MC administration resulted in substantial reduction in plaque MMP activity and histologically verified plaque stabilization. MC was found to be equally effective as FS. ..
- Dubois L, Ronquist K, Ek B, Ronquist G, Larsson A. Proteomic Profiling of Detergent Resistant Membranes (Lipid Rafts) of Prostasomes. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:3015-22 pubmed publisher..with a high contribution of sphingomyelin at the expense of phosphatidylcholine and saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids are dominant...
- Xue J, Balamurugan S, Li D, Liu Y, Zeng H, Wang L, et al. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase as a target for highly efficient fatty acid biosynthesis in microalgae by enhancing NADPH supply. Metab Eng. 2017;41:212-221 pubmed publisher..The fatty acid composition exhibited significant changes, including a remarkable increase in monounsaturated fatty acids C16:1 and C18:1 concomitant with a decrease in polyunsaturated fatty acids C20:5 and C22:6...
- Dinh B, Zanbrakji M, Dove K, Price S, Peterson M, Davies K. Thiol activation of a model O2-aryl diazeniumdiolate prodrug in phospholipid vesicle media. Nitric Oxide. 2008;19:326-32 pubmed publisher..DOPG=1,2-dioleoyl-sn-glycero-3-[phospho-rac-(1-glycerol)], DPPC=1,2-dipalmitoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, DOPE=1,2-dioleoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoethanolamine, DOTAP=1,2-dioleoyl-3-trimethylammonium-propane. ..
- Lee J, Danino D, Raghavan S. Polymerizable vesicles based on a single-tailed fatty acid surfactant: a simple route to robust nanocontainers. Langmuir. 2009;25:1566-71 pubmed publisher..DVB-cross-linked UDA vesicles are very stable and cannot be disrupted by detergents like Triton X-100. ..
- Dje N Guessan P, Riediger F, Vardarova K, Scharf S, Eitel J, Opitz B, et al. Statins control oxidized LDL-mediated histone modifications and gene expression in cultured human endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:380-6 pubmed publisher..In situ experiments indicated decreased expression of HDAC2 in endothelial cells in atherosclerotic plaques of human coronary arteries. Histone modifications seem to play an important role in atherosclerosis. ..
- Peddada L, Harris N, Devore D, Roth C. Novel graft copolymers enhance in vitro delivery of antisense oligonucleotides in the presence of serum. J Control Release. 2009;140:134-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, the PPAA-g-Jeffamine copolymers hold substantial promise as agents for controlled therapeutic delivery of antisense oligonucleotides. ..
- Zhu Z, Song B, Lin X, Xu Z. Effect of sustained training on glycolysis and fatty acids oxidation in swimming muscles and liver in juvenile tinfoil barb Barbonymus schwanenfeldii (Bleeker, 1854). Fish Physiol Biochem. 2016;42:1807-1817 pubmed..0 bl s-1 group (P < 0.05). In addition, the saturated fatty acids in the red muscle and monounsaturated fatty acids in the white muscle were used preferentially during sustained training, respectively...
- Seron D, Oppenheimer F, Pallardo L, Lauzurica R, Errasti P, Gomez Huertas E, et al. Fluvastatin in the prevention of renal transplant vasculopathy: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Transplantation. 2008;86:82-7 pubmed publisher..86 vs. 0.33). In summary, there were no differences in deltaVvintima/artery between groups, but fluvastatin treatment was associated with a reduced incidence of transplant vasculopathy. ..
- Ryan R, McCarthy Y, Watt S, Niehaus K, Dow J. Intraspecies signaling involving the diffusible signal factor BDSF (cis-2-dodecenoic acid) influences virulence in Burkholderia cenocepacia. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:5013-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that BDSF also acts as an intraspecies signal in B. cenocepacia to control factors contributing to virulence of this major opportunistic pathogen...
- Asadi F, Shahriari A, Chahardah Cheric M. Effect of long-term optional ingestion of canola oil, grape seed oil, corn oil and yogurt butter on serum, muscle and liver cholesterol status in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:2454-7 pubmed publisher..Optional intake of manually prepared yogurt butter has more beneficial effects on serum lipoprotein cholesterol values with some alterations in the liver and muscle cholesterol states than the vegetable oils. ..
- VILLA F, Lieske K, Gerwick L. Selective MyD88-dependent pathway inhibition by the cyanobacterial natural product malyngamide F acetate. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;629:140-6 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of a natural product inhibiting the MyD88-dependent pathway. ..
- Sasaki T, Shimizu T, Wakiguchi H, Yokotani K. Centrally administered neuromedin U elevates plasma adrenaline by brain prostanoid TP receptor-mediated mechanisms in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;592:81-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that centrally administered neuromedin U evokes the secretion of adrenaline from the adrenal medulla by brain prostanoid TP receptor-mediated mechanisms in rats. ..
- Saliu F, Leoni B, Della Pergola R. Lipid classes and fatty acids composition of the roe of wild Silurus glanis from subalpine freshwater. Food Chem. 2017;232:163-168 pubmed publisher..Total saturated fatty acids were 28.1-30.9%, monounsaturated fatty acids were 28.2-30.6%, and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) were 26.7-29.1%...
- Zheng J, Arnett D, Parnell L, Smith C, Li D, Borecki I, et al. Modulation by dietary fat and carbohydrate of IRS1 association with type 2 diabetes traits in two populations of different ancestries. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:2621-7 pubmed publisher..011), rs7578326 G-allele carriers had a lower risk of MetS than noncarriers only when dietary monounsaturated fatty acids were lower than the median intake of each population...
- Winkler K, Schewe T, Putz G, Odünc N, Schafer G, Siegel E, et al. Fluvastatin/fenofibrate vs. simvastatin/ezetimibe in patients with metabolic syndrome: different effects on LDL-profiles. Eur J Clin Invest. 2009;39:463-70 pubmed publisher..S&E is more efficient in reducing TC and LDL-C. This is also true for HDL-C increase in non-sdLDL patients. However, in patients with sdLDL, F&F was more efficient in reducing TG and increasing LDL radius. ..
- Fazeli Moghadam E, Tadevosyan A, Fallahi E, Goodarzi R. Nutritional factors and metabolic variables in relation to the risk of coronary heart disease: A case control study in Armenian adults. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2017;11:7-11 pubmed publisher..After adjusting for some CHD risk factors higher intakes of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) were associated with a reduced risk of CHD, while this association was not witnessed for ..