Genomes and Genes
conjugated linoleic acids
Summary: A collective term for a group of around nine geometric and positional isomers of LINOLEIC ACID in which the trans/cis double bonds are conjugated, where double bonds alternate with single bonds.
- Dauchy R, Dauchy E, Davidson L, Krause J, Lynch D, Tirrell P, et al. Inhibition of fatty acid transport and proliferative activity in tissue-isolated human squamous cell cancer xenografts perfused in situ with melatonin or eicosapentaenoic or conjugated linoleic acids. Comp Med. 2007;57:377-82 pubmedMelatonin and eicosapentaenoic and 10t,12c-conjugated linoleic acids suppress the growth-stimulating effects of linoleic acid (LA) and its metabolism to the mitogenic agent 13-(S)-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid (13-(S)-HODE) in established ..
- Jenkins T, Wallace R, Moate P, Mosley E. Board-invited review: Recent advances in biohydrogenation of unsaturated fatty acids within the rumen microbial ecosystem. J Anim Sci. 2008;86:397-412 pubmed
- Moloney F, Toomey S, Noone E, Nugent A, Allan B, Loscher C, et al. Antidiabetic effects of cis-9, trans-11-conjugated linoleic acid may be mediated via anti-inflammatory effects in white adipose tissue. Diabetes. 2007;56:574-82 pubmed..This study suggests that altering fatty acid composition may attenuate the proinflammatory state in adipose tissue that predisposes to obesity-induced insulin resistance. ..
- Aryaeian N, Shahram F, Djalali M, Eshragian M, Djazayeri A, Sarrafnejad A, et al. Effect of conjugated linoleic acids, vitamin E and their combination on the clinical outcome of Iranian adults with active rheumatoid arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis. 2009;12:20-8 pubmed publisherDespite beneficial effects of conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) in animal studies, there is little information on their effects on human inflammatory and autoimmune diseases...
- Bu D, Wang J, Dhiman T, Liu S. Effectiveness of oils rich in linoleic and linolenic acids to enhance conjugated linoleic acid in milk from dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2007;90:998-1007 pubmed..Increasing the proportion of healthy fatty acids (VA and CLA) by feeding soybean or flaxseed oil would result in milk with higher nutritive and therapeutic value. ..
- Bergamo P, Maurano F, Rossi M. Phase 2 enzyme induction by conjugated linoleic acid improves lupus-associated oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;43:71-9 pubmed..In conclusion our data indicate that the activation of detoxifying enzymes may be one of the mechanisms whereby dietary CLA down-regulates oxidative stress in MRL/lpr mice. ..
- Rist L, Mueller A, Barthel C, Snijders B, Jansen M, Simões Wüst A, et al. Influence of organic diet on the amount of conjugated linoleic acids in breast milk of lactating women in the Netherlands. Br J Nutr. 2007;97:735-43 pubmed..A potential contribution of CLA and TVA to health improvement is briefly discussed. ..
- Miller J, Siripurkpong P, Hawes J, Majdalawieh A, Ro H, McLeod R. The trans-10, cis-12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acid decreases adiponectin assembly by PPARgamma-dependent and PPARgamma-independent mechanisms. J Lipid Res. 2008;49:550-62 pubmed..Therefore, the t-10, c-12 CLA isomer appears to alter adipocyte adiponectin metabolism through PPARgamma-dependent and PPARgamma-independent mechanisms. ..
- Eder K, Slomma N, Becker K, Brandsch C. Effect of linseed oil supplementation on concentrations of (n-3) polyunsaturated fatty acids in liver phospholipids of rats fed diets containing either an oil rich in conjugated linoleic acids, sunflower oil or high-oleic acid sunflower oil. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). 2005;89:45-54 pubmed..The results show that feeding the CLA oil reduced the formation of arachidonic acid and eicosanoids but enhanced the formation of long chain (n-3) PUFA and their incorporation into tissue lipids when compared with feeding SFO or HO-SFO. ..
- Ponnampalam E, Mann N, Sinclair A. Effect of feeding systems on omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid and trans fatty acids in Australian beef cuts: potential impact on human health. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006;15:21-9 pubmed..Data from the present study show that grain feeding decreases functional lipid components (long chain n-3 FA and CLA) in Australian beef regardless of meat cuts, while increasing total trans 18:1 and saturated FA levels. ..
- Lim D, Tyner A, Park J, Lee J, Choi Y, Park J. Inhibition of colon cancer cell proliferation by the dietary compound conjugated linoleic acid is mediated by the CDK inhibitor p21CIP1/WAF1. J Cell Physiol. 2005;205:107-13 pubmed..These studies indicate that physiological concentrations of CLA inhibit growth of colon cancer cells with either wild-type or mutant p53, and may have therapeutic benefits in vivo. ..
- Lee S, Yamaguchi K, Kim J, Eling T, Safe S, Park Y, et al. Conjugated linoleic acid stimulates an anti-tumorigenic protein NAG-1 in an isomer specific manner. Carcinogenesis. 2006;27:972-81 pubmedb>Conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs), naturally occurring fatty acids in ruminant food products, have anti-tumorigenic and pro-apoptotic properties in animal as well as in vitro models of cancer...
- Loor J, Ueda K, Ferlay A, Chilliard Y, Doreau M. Biohydrogenation, duodenal flow, and intestinal digestibility of trans fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acids in response to dietary forage:concentrate ratio and linseed oil in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2004;87:2472-85 pubmed..Duodenal flow of total conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) increased by 1.40 (LCO) to 3.01 (HCO) g/d with linseed oil...
- Hornung E, Krueger C, Pernstich C, Gipmans M, Porzel A, Feussner I. Production of (10E,12Z)-conjugated linoleic acid in yeast and tobacco seeds. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1738:105-14 pubmed..CLA was only detected in seeds in coPAI-transgenic plants. The amount of CLA detected in esterified fatty acids was up to 0.3%, in free fatty acids up to 15%. ..
- Degrace P, Moindrot B, Mohamed I, Gresti J, Du Z, Chardigny J, et al. Upregulation of liver VLDL receptor and FAT/CD36 expression in LDLR-/- apoB100/100 mice fed trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:2647-55 pubmed