Genomes and Genes
Summary: 10-carbon saturated monocarboxylic acids.
- Bajgar R, Seetharaman S, Kowaltowski A, Garlid K, Paucek P. Identification and properties of a novel intracellular (mitochondrial) ATP-sensitive potassium channel in brain. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:33369-74 pubmed..Three independent methods indicate that brain mitochondria contain six to seven times more mitoK(ATP) per milligram of mitochondrial protein than liver or heart. ..
- Hanley P, Mickel M, Löffler M, Brandt U, Daut J. K(ATP) channel-independent targets of diazoxide and 5-hydroxydecanoate in the heart. J Physiol. 2002;542:735-41 pubmed..We propose that pharmacological preconditioning may be related to partial inhibition of respiratory chain complexes. ..
- Yang X, Proctor J, Cui L, Krieg T, Downey J, Cohen M. Multiple, brief coronary occlusions during early reperfusion protect rabbit hearts by targeting cell signaling pathways. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44:1103-10 pubmed..These observations suggest that a similar approach could be applied in the cardiac catheterization laboratory to protect reperfused myocardium after primary angioplasty in patients with acute myocardial infarction. ..
- Piriou V, Chiari P, Gateau Roesch O, Argaud L, Muntean D, Salles D, et al. Desflurane-induced preconditioning alters calcium-induced mitochondrial permeability transition. Anesthesiology. 2004;100:581-8 pubmed..This effect was inhibited by 5-HD, suggesting a link between mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium and MPT. ..
- Hausenloy D, Maddock H, Baxter G, Yellon D. Inhibiting mitochondrial permeability transition pore opening: a new paradigm for myocardial preconditioning?. Cardiovasc Res. 2002;55:534-43 pubmed..One interpretation of these data is that IPC and mitochondrial K(ATP) channel activation may protect the myocardium by inhibiting MPTP opening at reperfusion. ..
- Randić M, Witzmann F, Kodali V, Basak S. On the dependence of a characterization of proteomics maps on the number of protein spots considered. J Chem Inf Model. 2006;46:116-22 pubmed..We found that proteins maps based on a set of about the 250 most abundant proteins spots suffice for a satisfactory numerical characterization of such maps. ..
- Groen J, Deamer D, Kros A, Ehrenfreund P. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as plausible prebiotic membrane components. Orig Life Evol Biosph. 2012;42:295-306 pubmed publisher..These data represent the first indication of a cholesterol-like stabilizing effect of oxidized PAH derivatives in a simulated prebiotic membrane. ..
- Teeranachaideekul V, Souto E, Junyaprasert V, Muller R. Cetyl palmitate-based NLC for topical delivery of Coenzyme Q(10) - development, physicochemical characterization and in vitro release studies. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2007;67:141-8 pubmed..The NLC release patterns were defined by an initial fast release in comparison to the release of NE followed by a prolonged release, which was dependent on the oil content. ..
- Nilsson H, Karrman A, Westberg H, Rotander A, van Bavel B, Lindstrom G. A time trend study of significantly elevated perfluorocarboxylate levels in humans after using fluorinated ski wax. Environ Sci Technol. 2010;44:2150-5 pubmed publisher..PFHxA is suggested to have a short half-life in humans relative the other perfluorocarboxylates. The levels of perfluorosulfonates were unaffected by the wax exposure. ..
- Blanco E, Rodriguez Abreu C, Schulz P, Ruso J. Effect of alkyl chain asymmetry on catanionic mixtures of hydrogenated and fluorinated surfactants. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2010;341:261-6 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, system containing just hydrogenated surfactants form hexagonal phases or they are arranged in elongated aggregates. ..
- Rodriguez Pallares J, Parga J, Joglar B, Guerra M, Labandeira Garcia J. The mitochondrial ATP-sensitive potassium channel blocker 5-hydroxydecanoate inhibits toxicity of 6-hydroxydopamine on dopaminergic neurons. Neurotox Res. 2009;15:82-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the present study provides additional data for considering mitoK(ATP) channels as a potential target for neuroprotection. ..
- Park E, Kim S, Choi Y, Kwon H, Shim W, Lee G, et al. Capric acid inhibits NO production and STAT3 activation during LPS-induced osteoclastogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27739 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that capric acid has important therapeutic implications for treating bone diseases associated with excessive osteoclastogenesis. ..
- Nishi Y, Mifune H, Kojima M. Ghrelin acylation by ingestion of medium-chain fatty acids. Methods Enzymol. 2012;514:303-15 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes detailed methods for the analysis of ghrelin acylation in vivo to facilitate future research in this field. ..
- Wolinsky J, Colson Y, Grinstaff M. Local drug delivery strategies for cancer treatment: gels, nanoparticles, polymeric films, rods, and wafers. J Control Release. 2012;159:14-26 pubmed publisher..Finally, a discussion of the physiological barriers to localized therapy (i.e. drug penetration, transport), technical hurdles, and future outlook of the field is presented. ..
- Nayeem M, Zeldin D, Boegehold M, Morisseau C, Marowsky A, Ponnoth D, et al. Modulation by salt intake of the vascular response mediated through adenosine A(2A) receptor: role of CYP epoxygenase and soluble epoxide hydrolase. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;299:R325-33 pubmed publisher..However, in mice fed HS-containing diet, upregulation of A(2A) receptor protein triggers vascular relaxation through ATP-sensitive (K(+)) channels via upregulation of CYP2J2 enzyme. ..
- Iwasa M, Kobayashi H, Yasuda S, Kawamura I, Sumi S, Yamada Y, et al. Antidiabetic drug voglibose is protective against ischemia-reperfusion injury through glucagon-like peptide 1 receptors and the phosphoinositide 3-kinase-Akt-endothelial nitric oxide synthase pathway in rabbits. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2010;55:625-34 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide new insight into therapeutic strategies for the treatment of patients with coronary artery disease. ..
- Assad A, Delou J, Fonseca L, Villela N, Nascimento J, Verçosa N, et al. The role of KATP channels on propofol preconditioning in a cellular model of renal ischemia-reperfusion. Anesth Analg. 2009;109:1486-92 pubmed publisher..Propofol protected cells against apoptosis induced by I-R. This protection was probably due to a preconditioning effect of propofol and was, at least in part, mediated by K(ATP) channels. ..
- Gao J, Ramsay J, Ramsay B. Fed-batch production of poly-3-hydroxydecanoate from decanoic acid. J Biotechnol. 2016;218:102-7 pubmed publisher..16 g L(-1)h(-1) with the production of each gram of PHA requiring only 1.16 g of decanoic acid. The final PHA composition (on a molar basis) was 78% 3-hydroxydecanoate, 11% 3-hydroxyoctanoate and 11% 3-hydroxyhexanoate. ..
- Determan A, Wilson J, Kipper M, Wannemuehler M, Narasimhan B. Protein stability in the presence of polymer degradation products: consequences for controlled release formulations. Biomaterials. 2006;27:3312-20 pubmed..Tetanus toxoid was found to be the most stable in the presence of anhydride monomers, while Ova was most stable in the presence of sebacic acid, and lysozyme was stable when incubated with all of the monomers studied...
- Parra V, Macho P, Domenech R. Late cardiac preconditioning by exercise in dogs is mediated by mitochondrial potassium channels. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2010;56:268-74 pubmed publisher..These effects were independent of changes in collateral flow to the ischemic region. We concluded that late cardiac preconditioning by exercise is mediated through mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium channels. ..
- Kuroda S, Kurasawa M, Mizukoshi K, Maeda T, Yamamoto T, Oba A, et al. Perturbation of lamellar granule secretion by sodium caprate implicates epidermal tight junctions in lamellar granule function. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;59:107-14 pubmed publisher..Our study therefore suggests that epidermal TJs are possibly involved in polarized LG secretion and provides new insights into potential of treatments for skin diseases caused by abnormal LG secretion. ..
- Tsuzuki W. Absorption properties of micellar lipid metabolites into Caco2 cells. Lipids. 2007;42:613-9 pubmed..The results of this study suggested that the Caco2 cell monolayer could be a useful model for investigating the involvement of dietary lipids in the transepithelial absorption in the human intestine. ..
- Yu Y, Lu Y, Zhao X, Li X, Yin Z. Intestinal absorption of raltitrexed and evaluation of the effects of absorption enhancers. Pharmazie. 2013;68:732-43 pubmed..Oral bioavailability of RTX was significantly improved by the investigated absorption enhancers and transporter inhibitors, which is consistent with the in vitro and in situ experiments. ..
- García Fonseca S, Ballesteros Gómez A, Rubio S, Pérez Bendito D. Supramolecular solvent-based microextraction of ochratoxin A in raw wheat prior to liquid chromatography-fluorescence determination. J Chromatogr A. 2010;1217:2376-82 pubmed publisher..OTA was not detected in any of the analysed samples. This method allows quick and simple microextraction of OTA with minimal solvent consumption, while delivering accurate and precise data. ..
- Kowaltowski A, Maciel E, Fornazari M, Castilho R. Diazoxide protects against methylmalonate-induced neuronal toxicity. Exp Neurol. 2006;201:165-71 pubmed..These results uncover new potential neuroprotective effects of mitoK(ATP) agonists under situations in which oxidative phosphorylation is inhibited. ..
- Rizzarelli P, Puglisi C. Structural characterization of synthetic poly(ester amide) from sebacic acid and 4-amino-1-butanol by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight/time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2008;22:739-54 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, MALDI-TOF/TOF-MS/MS provided useful information to clarify the structures of precursor ions derived from side reactions during the synthesis. ..
- Sado Kamdem S, Guerzoni M, Baranyi J, Pin C. Effect of capric, lauric and alpha-linolenic acids on the division time distributions of single cells of Staphylococcus aureus. Int J Food Microbiol. 2008;128:122-8 pubmed publisher..The averaged out effect of the population masked the effect of the free fatty acids and pH on the division times of single cells. ..
- Loch J, Polit A, Gorecki A, Bonarek P, Kurpiewska K, Dziedzicka Wasylewska M, et al. Two modes of fatty acid binding to bovine ?-lactoglobulin--crystallographic and spectroscopic studies. J Mol Recognit. 2011;24:341-9 pubmed publisher..Different location of ligands in the binding site indicates that competition between polar and hydrophobic interactions is an important factor determining position of the ligand in ?-barrel. ..
- Obata T. Blocking cardiac ATP-sensitive K+ channels reduces hydroxyl radicals caused by potassium chloride-induced depolarization in the rat myocardium. Anal Biochem. 2006;356:59-65 pubmed..These results suggest that opening of cardiac K(ATP) channels by depolarization evokes OH generation. ..
- Senevirathna S, Tanaka S, Fujii S, Kunacheva C, Harada H, Shivakoti B, et al. Adsorption of four perfluorinated acids on non ion exchange polymer sorbents. Water Sci Technol. 2011;63:2106-13 pubmed..Sorption capacity was influenced by initial PFCs concentration for all adsorbents. GAC reached the equilibrium concentration within 4 hours, Amberlite XAD 4 reached it within 10 hours and other polymers took more than 70 hours. ..
- Mizutani S, Al Dadah A, Bloch J, Prasad S, Diodato M, Schuessler R, et al. Hyperkalemic cardioplegia-induced myocyte swelling and contractile dysfunction: prevention by diazoxide. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:154-9 pubmed..Diazoxide may play a role in myocyte volume homeostasis by means of a mechanism separate from opening the KATP channel. ..
- Sado Kamdem S, Vannini L, Guerzoni M. Effect of alpha-linolenic, capric and lauric acid on the fatty acid biosynthesis in Staphylococcus aureus. Int J Food Microbiol. 2009;129:288-94 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that FAs pathway is the major target of alpha-linolenic acid and that other enzymes in addition to FabI are involved in S. aureus response mechanism when medium chain fatty acids are present. ..
- Vieira H, Queiroga C, Alves P. Pre-conditioning induced by carbon monoxide provides neuronal protection against apoptosis. J Neurochem. 2008;107:375-84 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, CO induces PC and prevents neuronal apoptosis, therefore constituting a novel and promising candidate for neuroprotective therapies. ..
- Imaishi H, Petkova Andonova M. Molecular cloning of CYP76B9, a cytochrome P450 from Petunia hybrida, catalyzing the omega-hydroxylation of capric acid and lauric acid. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:104-13 pubmed..Plants grown in the presence of omega-hydroxy fatty acids exhibited shorter root length than control plants with the corresponding non-hydroxylated fatty acids. ..
- Vu P, Shin J, Lee Y, Nam H, Lee J, Akoh C, et al. Development and characterization of structured lipids containing capric and conjugated linoleic acids as functional dietary lipid molecules. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2008;59:95-104 pubmed..The produced lipid molecules in this study have potential applications as functional healthy dietary fats and oils. ..
- Haughney S, Petersen L, Schoofs A, Ramer Tait A, King J, Briles D, et al. Retention of structure, antigenicity, and biological function of pneumococcal surface protein A (PspA) released from polyanhydride nanoparticles. Acta Biomater. 2013;9:8262-71 pubmed publisher..Together these studies provide a framework for the rational design of a vaccine against S. pneumoniae based on polyanhydride nanoparticles. ..
- Biradar S, Dhumal R, Paradkar A. Rheological investigation of self-emulsification process: effect of co-surfactant. J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2009;12:164-74 pubmed..The ability of co-surfactant to promote self-emulsification was attributed to their influence on viscoelastic properties of intermediate LC phase. ..
- Guelfo J, Higgins C. Subsurface transport potential of perfluoroalkyl acids at aqueous film-forming foam (AFFF)-impacted sites. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:4164-71 pubmed publisher..Detailed site-specific information will likely be needed to accurately predict PFAA transport at AFFF-impacted sites. ..
- Fonseca C, Bordin K, Fernandes A, Rodrigues C, Corassin C, Cruz A, et al. Storage of refrigerated raw goat milk affecting the quality of whole milk powder. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:4716-24 pubmed publisher..Results of this trial indicate that the storage of raw goat milk at 4°C should not exceed 3d to preserve the quality of goat milk powder during its shelf life of 180d. ..
- Mehta M, Khuntia D. Current strategies in whole-brain radiation therapy for brain metastases. Neurosurgery. 2005;57:S33-44; discusssion S1-4 pubmed
- Yang L, Li J, Lai J, Luan H, Cai Z, Wang Y, et al. Placental Transfer of Perfluoroalkyl Substances and Associations with Thyroid Hormones: Beijing Prenatal Exposure Study. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21699 pubmed publisher..229 to -0.165 for T3; r?=?-0.293 to -0.169 for FT3, all P?<?0.05). Our results suggest prenatal exposure of fetus to PFASs and potential associations between PFASs and thyroid hormone homeostasis in humans. ..
- Ichinomiya T, Cho S, Higashijima U, Matsumoto S, Maekawa T, Sumikawa K. High-dose fasudil preserves postconditioning against myocardial infarction under hyperglycemia in rats: role of mitochondrial KATP channels. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012;11:28 pubmed publisher..Fasudil induces PostC against myocardial infarction via activation of m-KATP channels in the rat. Although hyperglycemia attenuates the PostC, high-dose fasudil can restore cardioprotection. ..
- Quinn J, Jiang S, Carter J, Reardon D, Desjardins A, Vredenburgh J, et al. Phase II trial of Gliadel plus O6-benzylguanine in adults with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:1064-8 pubmed publisher..Future trials are required to verify that inhibition of tumor AGT levels by O6-BG results in increased efficacy of Gliadel wafers without added toxicity. ..
- Ye Y, Lin Y, Perez Polo J, Birnbaum Y. Oral glyburide, but not glimepiride, blocks the infarct-size limiting effects of pioglitazone. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2008;22:429-36 pubmed publisher..It is plausible that Glyb affects other pleiotropic effects of PIO and thus may attenuate favorable effects on cardiovascular outcomes. In contrast, Glim does not attenuate the protective effect of PIO. ..
- Kiselev A, Il ina P, Egorova A, Baranov A, Gur ianov I, Baianova N, et al. [Lysine dendrimers as vectors for delivering genetic constructs to eukaryotic cells]. Genetika. 2007;43:725-33 pubmed..It was assumed that dendrimers D5 and D5C10 are promising vectors for delivering DNA to eukaryotic cells and provide a basis for constructing more refined nonvirus module carriers. ..
- Jain J, Modi S, Kumar N. Hydroxy fatty acid based polyanhydride as drug delivery system: synthesis, characterization, in vitro degradation, drug release, and biocompatibility. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008;84:740-52 pubmed..Due to their low melting temperatures they can be injected locally (SC or intratumorally) to from regional in situ depot and have a great potential as a drug carrier for localized delivery of anticancer drugs...
- Mühlfeld C, Urru M, Rümelin R, Mirzaie M, Schöndube F, Richter J, et al. Myocardial ischemia tolerance in the newborn rat involving opioid receptors and mitochondrial K+ channels. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2006;288:297-303 pubmed..This response was attenuated by blockade of opioid receptors and mitochondrial potassium channels, suggesting their involvement in the elevated ischemia tolerance of newborn rat hearts. ..
- Date T, Taniguchi I, Inada K, Matsuo S, Miyanaga S, Yamane T, et al. Nicorandil inhibits serum starvation-induced apoptosis in vascular endothelial cells. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2005;46:721-6 pubmed..In conclusion, nicorandil inhibits serum starvation-induced endothelial cell apoptosis possibly through mitochondrial KATP channels. ..