Genomes and Genes
unsaturated dietary fats
Summary: Unsaturated fats or oils used in foods or as a food.
- Covas M, Nyyssonen K, Poulsen H, Kaikkonen J, Zunft H, Kiesewetter H, et al. The effect of polyphenols in olive oil on heart disease risk factors: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145:333-41 pubmed..Olive oil is more than a monounsaturated fat. Its phenolic content can also provide benefits for plasma lipid levels and oxidative damage. International Standard Randomised Controlled Trial number: ISRCTN09220811. ..
- Bello R, Gómez Díaz C, Burón M, Navas P, Villalba J. Differential regulation of hepatic apoptotic pathways by dietary olive and sunflower oils in the aging rat. Exp Gerontol. 2006;41:1174-84 pubmed
- Stamp L, James M, Cleland L. Diet and rheumatoid arthritis: a review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2005;35:77-94 pubmed..Dietary manipulation provides a means by which patients can a regain a sense of control over their disease. Dietary n-3 supplementation is practical and can be easily achieved with encapsulated or, less expensively, bottled fish oil. ..
- Lobo A, Filho J, Alvares E, Cocato M, Colli C. Effects of dietary lipid composition and inulin-type fructans on mineral bioavailability in growing rats. Nutrition. 2009;25:216-25 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm the positive influence of ITF on mineral bioavailability, which was potentiated by addition of FO to the diet. ..
- Virtanen J, Mursu J, Voutilainen S, Tuomainen T. Serum long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and risk of hospital diagnosis of atrial fibrillation in men. Circulation. 2009;120:2315-21 pubmed publisher..An increased concentration of long-chain n-3 PUFAs in serum, a marker of fish or fish oil consumption, may protect against AF. Serum docosahexaenoic acid concentration had the greatest impact. ..
- Abilés J, Ramón A, Moratalla G, Perez Abud R, Morón Jiménez J, Ayala A. [Effects of thermo-oxidised oils on lipid peroxidation in experimental animals]. Nutr Hosp. 2009;24:473-8 pubmed
- Weaver K, Ivester P, Seeds M, Case L, Arm J, Chilton F. Effect of dietary fatty acids on inflammatory gene expression in healthy humans. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:15400-7 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that PUFA may exert their clinical effects via their capacity to regulate the expression of signal transduction genes and genes for proinflammatory cytokines. ..
- Lu M, Taylor A, Chylack L, Rogers G, Hankinson S, Willett W, et al. Dietary linolenic acid intake is positively associated with five-year change in eye lens nuclear density. J Am Coll Nutr. 2007;26:133-40 pubmed..01). There were no significant associations between other dietary fats and change in nuclear density. Higher ALA intake was associated with a greater age-related change in lens nuclear density. ..
- Varma S, Eskin M, Bird R, Dolenko B, Raju J, Ijare O, et al. Potential of magnetic resonance spectroscopy in assessing the effect of fatty acids on inflammatory bowel disease in an animal model. Lipids. 2010;45:843-54 pubmed publisher..This indicates that MRS could serve as a valuable adjunct to histology in accurately assessing colonic inflammation. Our data also suggest that both the type and the amount of fatty acids in the diet are critical in modulating IBD. ..
- Oi Kano Y, Kawada T, Watanabe T, Koyama F, Watanabe K, Senbongi R, et al. Extra virgin olive oil increases uncoupling protein 1 content in brown adipose tissue and enhances noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions in rats. J Nutr Biochem. 2007;18:685-92 pubmed..These results suggest that phenols except hydroxytyrosol in EV-olive oil enhance thermogenesis by increasing the UCP1 content in IBAT and enhancing noradrenaline and adrenaline secretions in rats. ..
- Fito M, Cladellas M, de la Torre R, Marti J, Munoz D, Schroder H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of virgin olive oil in stable coronary disease patients: a randomized, crossover, controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62:570-4 pubmed..Consumption of virgin olive oil, could provide beneficial effects in stable coronary heart disease patients as an additional intervention to the pharmacological treatment. ..
- Wanten G, Calder P. Immune modulation by parenteral lipid emulsions. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85:1171-84 pubmed
- Flood V, Webb K, Rochtchina E, Kelly B, Mitchell P. Fatty acid intakes and food sources in a population of older Australians. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16:322-30 pubmed..This population-based descriptive study documents fatty acid intakes in a population of older Australians. It will serve as a basis for investigations of associations between dietary fatty acid intakes and a number of eye diseases. ..
- Serini S, Piccioni E, Merendino N, Calviello G. Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids as inducers of apoptosis: implications for cancer. Apoptosis. 2009;14:135-52 pubmed publisher..We will also pay attention to the recent findings regarding the possible role of PUFAs as regulators of the endoplasmic reticulum stress-pathway of apoptosis. ..
- Remig V, Franklin B, Margolis S, Kostas G, Nece T, Street J. Trans fats in America: a review of their use, consumption, health implications, and regulation. J Am Diet Assoc. 2010;110:585-92 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, greater transparency in labeling and/or active consumer education is needed to reduce the cardiovascular risks associated with trans fats. ..
- Pritchett J. Statins and dietary fish oils improve lipid composition in bone marrow and joints. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;456:233-7 pubmed..The ability to change the amount and character of bone and joint lipids may have major importance for strengthening bone, reducing the severity or preventing osteonecrosis, and enhancing joint lubrication. ..
- Prescott S. Role of dietary immunomodulatory factors in the development of immune tolerance. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program. 2009;64:185-94; discussion 194-200, 251-7 pubmed publisher..This review explores the potential effects of early dietary and nutritional factors in tolerogenic immune processes that are normally initiated during initial food allergen encounter. ..
- Dwarkanath P, Muthayya S, Thomas T, Vaz M, Parikh P, Mehra R, et al. Polyunsaturated fatty acid consumption and concentration among South Indian women during pregnancy. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2009;18:389-94 pubmed..As newborns primarily depend on placental transfer of omega-3 FA there is need to examine the omega-3 LC-PUFA concentration in infants of mother's with low intakes of omega-3 FA. ..
- Evteeva N. [Determination of double bonds in olive and sunflower oils by ozonize method]. Vopr Pitan. 2007;76:30-5 pubmed..Date on spending double bonds during oxidation of commercial oils were measured for the first time. ..
- Marounek M, Skrivanová V, Výborná A, Dusková D. Performance and tissue fatty acid profiles in veal calves fed diets supplemented with conjugated linoleic acids. Arch Anim Nutr. 2008;62:366-76 pubmed publisher..It can be concluded that in veal calves unprotected CLA apparently escaped ruminal hydrogenation, but was preferentially incorporated into depot fat. ..
- Gerson A, Brown J, Thomas R, Bernards M, Staples J. Effects of dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids on mitochondrial metabolism in mammalian hibernation. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:2689-99 pubmed publisher..The reduced mitochondrial proton leak in the 15, 35 and 55 mg g(-1) 18:2 diet groups might compensate for the inability to suppress respiration, permitting whole-animal energy savings over the hibernation season. ..
- Matsunaga H, Hokari R, Kurihara C, Okada Y, Takebayashi K, Okudaira K, et al. Omega-3 fatty acids exacerbate DSS-induced colitis through decreased adiponectin in colonic subepithelial myofibroblasts. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008;14:1348-57 pubmed publisher..Adiponectin expression was significantly suppressed by induction of colitis, and aggravation of colitis after exposure to omega-3 fat may be due to a further decrease in the expression level of adiponectin. ..
- van Maldegem B, Duran M, Wanders R, Waterham H, de Koning T, Rubio E, et al. Fasting and fat-loading tests provide pathophysiological insight into short-chain acyl-coenzyme a dehydrogenase deficiency. J Pediatr. 2010;156:121-7 pubmed publisher..However, the results of our study indicate that there is no clear pathophysiological significance, irrespective of genotype, supporting the claim that SCADD is not suited for inclusion in newborn screening programs. ..
- Or Rashid M, Fisher R, Karrow N, Alzahal O, McBride B. Fatty acid profile of colostrum and milk of ewes supplemented with fish meal and the subsequent plasma fatty acid status of their lambs. J Anim Sci. 2010;88:2092-102 pubmed publisher..The docosahexaenoic acid status of their suckling lambs can also be further enhanced, and this may contribute to improve neural tissue development and overall performance of suckling lambs. ..
- ..Dairy fat and its cardiovascular impact are being evaluated. This review examines the existing literature on the relationships between the different fatty acids and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Latha P, Chaitanya D, Rukkumani R. Protective effect of Phyllanthus niruri on alcohol and heated sunflower oil induced hyperlipidemia in Wistar rats. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2010;20:498-503 pubmed publisher..From the results obtained, one could conclude that the P.niruri leaf extract effectively protects the system against alcohol and ?PUFA-induced hyperlipidemia and has a definite anti-hyperlipidemic potential. ..
- Navas Carretero S, Perez Granados A, Schoppen S, Vaquero M. An oily fish diet increases insulin sensitivity compared to a red meat diet in young iron-deficient women. Br J Nutr. 2009;102:546-53 pubmed publisher..An increase in oily fish consumption increases insulin sensitivity in young iron-deficient women. This outcome should be considered when giving dietary advice to this population. ..
- De La Puerta R, Marquez Martin A, Fernandez Arche A, Ruiz Gutierrez V. Influence of dietary fat on oxidative stress and inflammation in murine macrophages. Nutrition. 2009;25:548-54 pubmed publisher..The consumption of these olive oils may help to prevent cellular oxidative stress and inflammation. ..
- Astorg P, Bertrais S, Laporte F, Arnault N, Estaquio C, Galan P, et al. Plasma n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids as biomarkers of their dietary intakes: a cross-sectional study within a cohort of middle-aged French men and women. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62:1155-61 pubmed..The plasma levels of long-chain n-6 and n-3 PUFA are not influenced by the intake levels of their precursors, linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids. ..
- Matsumoto J, Erami K, Ogawa H, Doi M, Kishida T, Ebihara K. Hypocholesterolemic effects of microbial protease-resistant fraction of Katsuobushi in ovariectomized rats depend on the both oil and undigested protein. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2007;53:508-14 pubmed..The hypocholesterolemic effect of KBR in OVX-rats reflected in increased fecal bile acid excretion may be mediated by increased bile acid flux caused by EX and the binding of bile acids by protease-resistant proteins. ..
- Innis S, Jacobson K. Dietary lipids in early development and intestinal inflammatory disease. Nutr Rev. 2007;65:S188-93 pubmed..High dietary n-6 PUFA intake may be an important environmental modifier that contributes to inflammatory bowel diseases. ..
- Miyake Y, Sasaki S, Arakawa M, Tanaka K, Murakami K, Ohya Y. Fatty acid intake and asthma symptoms in Japanese children: the Ryukyus Child Health Study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008;38:1644-50 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that consumption of both n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially linoleic acid, may be associated with an increased prevalence of wheeze. ..
- Solanas M, Moral R, Garcia G, Grau L, Vela E, Escrich R, et al. Differential expression of H19 and vitamin D3 upregulated protein 1 as a mechanism of the modulatory effects of high virgin olive oil and high corn oil diets on experimental mammary tumours. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2009;18:153-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the differential effects of high olive oil and high corn oil diets on mammary cancer are exerted by means of a different, specific influence on gene expression. ..
- Gao Y, Song G, Ma H, Zhang W, Zhou Y. Effects of long-term high-saturated and unsaturated fatty acid diets on relaxation and contraction of renal arteries in insulin resistant rats. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2007;59:363-8 pubmed
- Gonzalez Correa J, Muñoz Marín J, Arrebola M, Guerrero A, Narbona F, Lopez Villodres J, et al. Dietary virgin olive oil reduces oxidative stress and cellular damage in rat brain slices subjected to hypoxia-reoxygenation. Lipids. 2007;42:921-9 pubmed..It reduced oxidative stress and modulated the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase, diminishing platelet aggregation and protecting the brain from the effects of hypoxia-reoxygenation. ..
- Lin Y, Salem N. Whole body distribution of deuterated linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids and their metabolites in the rat. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2709-24 pubmed..Approximately 6.0% of D5-18:3n-3 and 2.6% of D5-18:2n-6 were elongated/desaturated and stored, mainly in muscle, adipose, and the carcass. The remaining 78% of both precursors was apparently catabolized or excreted. ..
- Waddell B, Bollen M, Wyrwoll C, Mori T, Mark P. Developmental programming of adult adrenal structure and steroidogenesis: effects of fetal glucocorticoid excess and postnatal dietary omega-3 fatty acids. J Endocrinol. 2010;205:171-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study shows that prenatal exposure to dexamethasone does not increase basal adrenocortical activity but does result in a more stress-responsive adrenal phenotype, possibly via increased Mc2r expression. ..
- Mingam R, Moranis A, Bluthé R, De Smedt Peyrusse V, Kelley K, Guesnet P, et al. Uncoupling of interleukin-6 from its signalling pathway by dietary n-3-polyunsaturated fatty acid deprivation alters sickness behaviour in mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;28:1877-86 pubmed publisher..The relative deficiency of Western diets in n-3 PUFA could impact on behavioural aspects of the host response to infection. ..
- Soriguer F, Almaraz M, Ruiz de Adana M, Esteva I, Linares F, Garcia Almeida J, et al. Incidence of obesity is lower in persons who consume olive oil. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63:1371-4 pubmed publisher..3 (95% CI, 1.06-5.02) in group 1 compared with that in group 2. The increase in the prevalence of obesity in the free-living population is associated with the type of fatty acids in the diet. ..
- Kim H, Lee K, Lee M, Jeon S, Jung U, Cho Y, et al. Hypolipidemic effect of dietary diacylglycerol oil in Sprague-Dawley rats fed a normal diet. J Med Food. 2007;10:60-6 pubmed..The DG oil used in this study was beneficial for enhancing lipid metabolism with apparent hypolipidemic effects. ..
- Hekmatdoost A, Feizabadi M, Djazayery A, Mirshafiey A, Eshraghian M, Yeganeh S, et al. The effect of dietary oils on cecal microflora in experimental colitis in mice. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2008;27:186-9 pubmed..Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) can affect intestinal microflora increasing the number of probiotics. PUFAs might be recommended in addition to probiotics for the prevention and/or maintenance treatment of colitis. ..
- Huggins C, Curl C, Patel R, McLennan P, Theiss M, Pedrazzini T, et al. Dietary fish oil is antihypertrophic but does not enhance postischemic myocardial function in female mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H957-66 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate a lack of cardioprotective effect of dietary FO in females, determined by assessment of mechanical and arrhythmic activity postischemia in a murine ex vivo heart model. ..
- Wang C, Chang L, Chang H, Yang C, Tsai M, Tsai H, et al. Pulmonary changes induced by trans,trans-2,4-decadienal, a component of cooking oil fumes. Eur Respir J. 2010;35:667-75 pubmed publisher..As both BAJ hyperplasia and enhanced pSTAT3 accumulation are known risk factors associated with increased lung adenocarcinoma development, these findings suggest that tt-DDE may pose a risk in lung carcinogenesis. ..
- Theodoratou E, McNeill G, Cetnarskyj R, Farrington S, Tenesa A, Barnetson R, et al. Dietary fatty acids and colorectal cancer: a case-control study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007;166:181-95 pubmed..The observed different effects of different types of fatty acids underline the importance of type of fat in the etiology and prevention of colorectal cancer. ..
- Audi N, Mesa M, Martinez M, Martínez Victoria E, Mañas M, Yago M. Membrane lipid composition of pancreatic AR42J cells: modification by exposure to different fatty acids. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007;232:532-41 pubmed..However, differences in baseline characteristics, and perhaps fatty acid metabolism, indicate that results obtained in AR42J cells should be confirmed with experiments in the whole animal. ..
- Degirolamo C, Kelley K, Wilson M, Rudel L. Dietary n-3 LCPUFA from fish oil but not alpha-linolenic acid-derived LCPUFA confers atheroprotection in mice. J Lipid Res. 2010;51:1897-905 pubmed publisher..These outcomes indicate that dietary n-3 LCPUFA from fish oil and n-3 LCPUFA (mostly EPA) synthesized endogenously from ALA were not equally atheroprotective in these mice. ..
- Saini A, Sharma S, Chhibber S. Induction of resistance to respiratory tract infection with Klebsiella pneumoniae in mice fed on a diet supplemented with tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) and clove (Syzgium aromaticum) oils. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2009;42:107-13 pubmed..01). The maximum decrease in MDA levels and increase in nitrite levels were noted with long-term feeding. Dietary supplementation with tulsi and clove oils protects against bacterial colonization of the lungs. ..
- Bouchon P. Understanding oil absorption during deep-fat frying. Adv Food Nutr Res. 2009;57:209-34 pubmed publisher..Finally, this chapter discusses the most important factors affecting oil absorption, oil absorption kinetics, and different strategies that may be adopted to decrease oil content. ..