Summary: Methods pertaining to the generation of new individuals, including techniques used in selective BREEDING, cloning (CLONING, ORGANISM), and assisted reproduction (REPRODUCTIVE TECHNIQUES, ASSISTED).
- Andrews M, Gibbons W, Oehninger S, Morshedi M, Mayer J, Jones H, et al. Optimizing use of assisted reproduction. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;189:327-32 pubmed..The large difference in success between age groups is displayed. Results to be expected from donor eggs to overcome the low success in older age groups (>38 years) are presented. ..
- Martin G, Milton J, Davidson R, Banchero Hunzicker G, Lindsay D, Blache D. Natural methods for increasing reproductive efficiency in small ruminants. Anim Reprod Sci. 2004;82-83:231-45 pubmed..The use of such clean, green and ethical tools in the management of our animals can be cost-effective, increase productivity and, at the same time, greatly improve the image of meat and milk industries in society and the marketplace. ..
- Nygren K, Janson P. The Nordic Fertility Society. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2005;84:411 pubmed
- Ksiazkiewicz L. Recent achievements in in vitro culture and preservation of ovarian follicles in mammals. Reprod Biol. 2006;6:3-16 pubmed
- Maduro M, Lamb D. Understanding new genetics of male infertility. J Urol. 2002;168:2197-205 pubmed..Familiarity with the genes associated with male infertility is essential for the urologist to better understand, diagnose and treat the male factor couple. ..
- Wilmot S. Between the farm and the clinic: agriculture and reproductive technology in the twentieth century. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2007;38:303-15 pubmed
- Wang J, Norman R, Kristiansson P. The effect of various infertility treatments on the risk of preterm birth. Hum Reprod. 2002;17:945-9 pubmed..The length of the infertile period did not seem to affect the risk in any of the treatment groups. ..
- Vahratian A. Utilization of fertility-related services in the United States. Fertil Steril. 2008;90:1317-9 pubmed publisher..Nearly half of the study population reported receiving drugs to improve ovulation. ..
- Cardona Costa J, Francisco Simao M, García Ximénez F. Can vitrified zebrafish blastomeres be used to obtain germ-line chimaeras?. Cryo Letters. 2009;30:422-8 pubmed..More improvements to overcome such technical difficulties are needed and, until then, blastomere vitrification may only be of interest for germplasm cryobanking. ..
- Schnorr J, Doviak M, Muasher S, Jones H. Impact of a cryopreservation program on the multiple pregnancy rate associated with assisted reproductive technologies. Fertil Steril. 2001;75:147-51 pubmed..The use of a cryopreservation program can help maximize pregnancy rates while minimizing multiple-pregnancy rates. Cryopreservation should be considered in all assisted reproductive technology cycles. ..
- Smajdor A. The moral imperative for ectogenesis. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2007;16:336-45 pubmed
- Einspanier A, Lieder K, Einspanier R, Husen B. The common marmoset monkey as a model for implantation and early pregnancy research. Methods Mol Med. 2006;121:111-21 pubmed
- Becker G, Butler A, Nachtigall R. Resemblance talk: a challenge for parents whose children were conceived with donor gametes in the US. Soc Sci Med. 2005;61:1300-9 pubmed..Yet resemblance talk may make it more difficult for parents to disclose, not easier, as long as attitudes about the implicit primacy of genetic connectedness prevail. ..
- Walters L. The United Nations and human cloning: a debate on hold. Hastings Cent Rep. 2004;34:5-6 pubmed
- Holt W. Cryobiology, wildlife conservation and reality. Cryo Letters. 2008;29:43-52 pubmed
- Schreiber H. [The child as damage--physicians' liability in cases involving reproductive and prenatal medicine]. Z Arztl Fortbild Qualitatssich. 2002;96:423-9 pubmed..This subject is in need of legal regulation pursuant to the forthcoming medical reproduction law. ..
- Brenner C, Cohen J. The genetic revolution in artificial reproduction: a view of the future. Hum Reprod. 2000;15 Suppl 5:111-6 pubmed..Although it is still uncertain what molecular genetic tools may be available, we can be sure that some of these trends will have major consequences on the future of assisted reproduction and society at large. ..
- Crichton E, Bedows E, Miller Lindholm A, Baldwin D, Armstrong D, Graham L, et al. Efficacy of porcine gonadotropins for repeated stimulation of ovarian activity for oocyte retrieval and in vitro embryo production and cryopreservation in Siberian tigers (Panthera tigris altaica). Biol Reprod. 2003;68:105-13 pubmed..Together, these observations suggest that porcine gonadotropins may be effective for the ovarian stimulation of tigers but that some modifications to administration protocols are needed to produce a more natural response. ..
- Simpson B. Ethical regulation and the new reproductive technologies in Sri Lanka: perspectives of ethics committee members. Ceylon Med J. 2001;46:54-7 pubmed..There was broad acceptance of the new technologies among respondents, but anxieties about potential abuses. Respondents felt that a national committee should regulate practice and monitor future policy. ..
- Blumenfeld Z. Gynaecologic concerns for young women exposed to gonadotoxic chemotherapy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2003;15:359-70 pubmed..Until then, a combination of all the clinically available modalities should be offered to these young women with unconsumed fertility potential who face gonadotoxic therapy. ..
- Lonergan P, Rizos D, Ward F, Boland M. Factors influencing oocyte and embryo quality in cattle. Reprod Nutr Dev. 2001;41:427-37 pubmed..The challenge for the future is to modify our conditions of post-fertilization embryo culture in an attempt to mimic those that occur naturally in vivo and in that way improve blastocyst quality. ..
- da Motta E, Serafini P. The treatment of infertility and its historical context. Reprod Biomed Online. 2002;5:65-77 pubmed..New technologies are described briefly, and an ethical comment completes the review. ..
- Fagniez P, Loriau J, Tayar C. ["Designer baby" changed to French for "double hope baby"]. Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2005;33:828-32 pubmed..Because of the issuing of two specific laws in a ten years interval, France occupies a privileged place in a Europe where bioethical issues continue to be debated, particularly PGD. ..
- Kerr S. Of men (and pigs and goats) in mice?. J Androl. 2003;24:15 pubmed
- Singh B, Chauhan M, Singla S, Gautam S, Verma V, Manik R, et al. Reproductive biotechniques in buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis): status, prospects and challenges. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2009;21:499-510 pubmed publisher..for their large-scale application and resolve the key problems currently associated with advanced reproductive techniques, such as animal cloning, stem cell technology and transgenesis...
- Mortimer D. The future of male infertility management and assisted reproduction technology. Hum Reprod. 2000;15 Suppl 5:98-110 pubmed
- Park J, Kang M, Shin S, Choi E, Kwon S, Wee H, et al. Unexplained infertility treated with acupuncture and herbal medicine in Korea. J Altern Complement Med. 2010;16:193-8 pubmed publisher..A future study that includes subsidized treatment costs, encouraging the appropriate compliance rate, is warranted. 194. ..
- Johnson P, Richard C, Ravid A, Spencer L, Pinto E, Hanna M, et al. Female infertility after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2004;47:1119-26 pubmed..After pelvic pouch surgery for ulcerative colitis, female fertility is significantly decreased and this problem should be discussed routinely with patients considering this procedure. ..
- Hovatta O. Cryopreservation and culture of human ovarian cortical tissue containing early follicles. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004;113 Suppl 1:S50-4 pubmed..Maturation in vitro (IVM) of oocytes obtained by aspiration from small antral follicles is already a feasible technique resulting in pregnancies, with many healthy infants born. ..
- Bos H, van Rooij F. The influence of social and cultural factors on infertility and new reproductive technologies. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;28:65-8 pubmed
- Spar D. Reproductive tourism and the regulatory map. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:531-3 pubmed
- Knauth D. [Debate on the paper by Maria Andréa Loyola: Sexuality and medicine]. Cad Saude Publica. 2003;19:895-7; author reply 897-9 pubmed
- Murphy T, White G. Dead sperm donors or world hunger: are bioethicists studying the right stuff?. Hastings Cent Rep. 2005;35:49 pubmed
- Lanzone A. Ethical issues in human reproduction: Catholic perspectives. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2013;29:953-4 pubmed publisher..In this paper the ethical implications derived from such a principle are discussed. ..
- Thibier M. Identified and unidentified challenges for reproductive biotechnologies regarding infectious diseases in animal and public health. Theriogenology. 2001;56:1465-81 pubmed
- Scott H. Nurses should participate in ethical debates in health care. Br J Nurs. 2004;13:124 pubmed
- Renfree M, Pask A. Reproductive and developmental manipulation of the marsupial, the tammar wallaby Macropus eugenii. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;770:457-73 pubmed publisher..Standard molecular techniques can be used for most manipulations in marsupials. However, there are several special techniques for treating the young for experimental surgery and for organ culture that we detail below. ..
- Woods A. The farm as clinic: veterinary expertise and the transformation of dairy farming, 1930-1950. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2007;38:462-87 pubmed..I show how its operation transformed understandings of fertility, raised veterinarians to the status of experts, won them the patronage of farmers and the state, and facilitated the shift to a productivity-oriented agriculture. ..
- Atabay E, Takahashi Y, Katagiri S, Nagano M, Koga A, Kanai Y. Vitrification of bovine oocytes and its application to intergeneric somatic cell nucleus transfer. Theriogenology. 2004;61:15-23 pubmed..In conclusion, the efficacy of this microdrop vitrification procedure and the production of swamp buffalo NT blastocysts using vitrified bovine oocytes was demonstrated. ..
- Burton K, Wallace W, Critchley H. Female reproductive potential post-treatment for childhood cancer. Hosp Med. 2002;63:522-7 pubmed..Hence female reproductive potential following treatment must be addressed. Issues concerning subsequent uterine and ovarian function, fertility options and importantly the ethics and safety of treatment approaches are discussed herein. ..
- Swanson W, Brown J. International training programs in reproductive sciences for conservation of Latin American felids. Anim Reprod Sci. 2004;82-83:21-34 pubmed
- Woldringh G, Kremer J, Wetzels A, Meuleman E, Ramos L, van der Schoot D, et al. [Obstructive azoospermia in men who wish to father children; initial clinical results of intracytoplasmatic sperm injection (ICSI) with surgically retrieved epididymal semen]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2003;147:2587-91 pubmed..In total, 17 healthy children were born (11 boys and 6 girls). ICSI with surgically retrieved semen was successfully used as a treatment for childlessness caused by obstructive azoospermia. ..
- Blondel B, Supernant K, du Mazaubrun C, Breart G. [Trends in perinatal health in metropolitan France between 1995 and 2003: results from the National Perinatal Surveys]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2006;35:373-87 pubmed..Because of the trends in obstetrical practice and organisation of services, routine national perinatal surveys are useful to show major changes and yield quick answers to specific questions. ..
- Peddie V, Teijlingen E. Qualitative research in fertility and reproduction: Does it have any value?. Hum Fertil (Camb). 2005;8:263-7 pubmed..The authors highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both methods and promote qualitative methods as a valuable tool in fertility and reproduction related studies. ..
- Stewart F, Shields W, Hwang A. Reproductive health care: an essential foundation for prosperity and peace. Contraception. 2003;68:73 pubmed
- Dresser R. Stem cell research: the bigger picture. Perspect Biol Med. 2005;48:181-94 pubmed
- Bretzlaff K, Romano J. Advanced reproductive techniques in goats. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2001;17:421-34, viii pubmed..Caprine embryo transfer is widely used commercially. More advanced reproductive techniques such as in-vitro production of embryos and cloning have been accomplished in goats; success rates with ..
- Falcone T, Bedaiwy M. Fertility preservation and pregnancy outcome after malignancy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005;17:21-6 pubmed..Despite recent reports of embryo development after the transplantation of cryopreserved-thawed ovarian tissue, clinical experience is limited and the technique remains experimental. ..
- Betteridge K. Comparative aspects of conceptus growth: a historical perspective. Reproduction. 2001;122:11-9 pubmed..Finally, attention is drawn to some differences in conceptus development among various mammals, and the argument made that understanding these differences might be of benefit to the development of reproductive technology. ..
- Hirsh A. Male subfertility. BMJ. 2003;327:669-72 pubmed
- Shivaji S, Kholkute S, Verma S, Gaur A, Umapathy G, Singh A, et al. Conservation of wild animals by assisted reproduction and molecular marker technology. Indian J Exp Biol. 2003;41:710-23 pubmed..The review also presents data on the semen profile of the big cats of India. Reproductive technologies such as cryopreservation of semen and artificial insemination in big cats are also highlighted. ..