Genomes and Genes
Summary: Detection and counting of scintillations produced in a fluorescent material by ionizing radiation.
- Johnson E, Shi X, Cassaday J, Ferrer M, Strulovici B, Kunapuli P. A 1,536-well [(35)S]GTPgammaS scintillation proximity binding assay for ultra-high-throughput screening of an orphan galphai-coupled GPCR. Assay Drug Dev Technol. 2008;6:327-37 pubmed publisher..3%. Primary hits were cherry-picked, confirmed in triplicate, counterscreened against untransfected CHO cell membranes, and further analyzed in a cyclic AMP functional assay, resulting in 34 leads for optimization. ..
- Lim S, Wen D, Yap T, Yan C, Lescar J, Vasudevan S. A scintillation proximity assay for dengue virus NS5 2'-O-methyltransferase-kinetic and inhibition analyses. Antiviral Res. 2008;80:360-9 pubmed publisher..It is suitable for determination of enzymatic activities of a wide variety of RNA capping MTases. ..
- Morgan N, Kramer Marek G, Smith P, Camphausen K, Capala J. Nanoscintillator conjugates as photodynamic therapy-based radiosensitizers: calculation of required physical parameters. Radiat Res. 2009;171:236-44 pubmed publisher..Even so, the efficacy of the combination therapy will likely be restricted to X-ray energies below 300 keV, which limits the application to brachytherapy. ..
- Gonen R, Marco R, German U, Katorza E, Alfassi Z, Haquin G, et al. An improved method for Organic Bound Tritium (OBT) determination in urine samples. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2007;125:460-4 pubmed..A simpler and more rapid method based on liquid scintillation counting (LSC) was employed, and an evaluation was performed to check its suitability for urine samples...
- Li C, Sadi B, Benkhedda K, St Amant N, Moodie G, Ko R, et al. Method comparison for 241Am emergency urine bioassay. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010;141:228-32 pubmed publisher..This paper compares three methods for the measurement of 241Am in urine, namely liquid scintillation counting (LSC), inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) and gamma spectrometry (GS), at two levels, ..
- Sweazea K, Braun E. Reciprocal inhibition of in vitro substrate movement into avian skeletal muscle. Zoology (Jena). 2013;116:85-9 pubmed publisher..As studies in mammals have shown that FFAs may impair glucose uptake pathways, it is suspected that high FFA uptake by avian skeletal muscle may induce their notably lower glucose transport. ..
- Arinc A, Johansson L, Gilligan C, Pearce A. Standardisation of (210)Pb by ?erenkov counting. Appl Radiat Isot. 2011;69:768-72 pubmed publisher..66% (k=1). This uncertainty is approximately a factor of four lower than previously achieved at NPL by the classical method of standardisation of radionuclides, i.e. coincidence counting. ..
- Shinde K, Dhoble S. 5d-4f transition in new phosphate-based phosphors. Luminescence. 2012;27:69-73 pubmed publisher..The Ce(3+) emission intensity in Sr(6) AlP(5)O(20):Ce phosphor was higher than that in Ba(6) AlP(5)O(20):Ce and it may be useful for scintillation applications. ..
- Sorimachi A, Ishikawa T, Janik M, Tokonami S. Quality assurance and quality control for thoron measurement at NIRS. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010;141:367-70 pubmed publisher..Using the NIRS (220)Rn chamber, the international intercomparison experiment for passive (220)Rn detectors started in 2008. ..
- Liu N, Ding H, Vanderheyden J, Zhu Z, Zhang Y. Radiolabeling small RNA with technetium-99m for visualizing cellular delivery and mouse biodistribution. Nucl Med Biol. 2007;34:399-404 pubmed..The results of this study could open up a new approach for measuring the in vivo delivery of small RNAs that might further facilitate the development of siRNAs as targeted therapies. ..
- Puhakainen M, Heikkinen T. Tritium in the urine in Finnish people. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2008;128:254-7 pubmed..Because organically bound tritium is approximately 10% of the total tritium, its concentration was below the detection limit and could be ignored. The mean effective dose for Finnish people from tritium was 2.4 x 10(-3) microSv y(-1). ..
- Chitra S, Paramasivan K, Cheralathan M, Sinha P. Degradation of 1,4-dioxane using advanced oxidation processes. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2012;19:871-8 pubmed publisher..The degradation was found to follow first-order kinetics. Formation of acidic intermediates was suspected from the observed pH changes during the degradation processes. ..
- Klein D, Tailor R, Archambault L, Wang L, Therriault Proulx F, Beddar A. Measuring output factors of small fields formed by collimator jaws and multileaf collimator using plastic scintillation detectors. Med Phys. 2010;37:5541-9 pubmed..Therefore, PSDs may provide more accurate small-field output factor determination, regardless of the collimation mechanism. ..
- Iida H, Ogawa K. Comparison of a pixelated semiconductor detector and a non-pixelated scintillation detector in pinhole SPECT system for small animal study. Ann Nucl Med. 2011;25:143-50 pubmed publisher..The performance of a modular-type pixelated semiconductor detector was almost the same as that of a non-pixelated scintillation detector with a magnified data acquisition in a small animal pinhole SPECT system. ..
- McCarron P, Donnelly R, Woolfson A. Autoradiographic and scintillation analysis of 5-aminolevulinic acid permeation through epithelialised tissue: implications for topical photodynamic therapy of superficial gynaecological neoplasias. Pharm Res. 2008;25:812-26 pubmed..orientations and the 5-ALA concentration at specific depths determined using autoradiography and liquid scintillation counting (LSC)...
- Iimoto T, Akasaka Y, Koike Y, Kosako T. Development of a technique for the measurement of the radon exhalation rate using an activated charcoal collector. J Environ Radioact. 2008;99:587-95 pubmed..radon concentration is measured by the combination of an activated charcoal (PICO-RAD) and a liquid scintillation counting system. This study shows variations of the conversion factor (CF: unit Bq m(-3)/cpm) of PICO-RAD...
- Yin Y, Lambert J, Yang S, McKenzie D, Jackson M, Suchowerska N. A self-checking fiber optic dosimeter for monitoring common errors in brachytherapy applications. Med Phys. 2009;36:2985-91 pubmed..This self-checking method can enhance the clinical robustness of the FOD for achieving accurate dose control. ..
- Calvo D, Vazquez M, Ashby C, Domínguez J. Kinetic considerations on the development of binding assays in single-addition mode: application to the search for ?2?1 modulators. J Biomol Screen. 2012;17:1041-9 pubmed publisher..Although the present study focuses on ?2?1 and its interaction with gabapentin, the rationale and the methodology followed are of broad purpose and can be applied to virtually every binding assay. ..
- Gunther K, Lange S, Veit M. A rapid method for determining 89Sr and 90Sr by Cerenkov counting. Appl Radiat Isot. 2009;67:781-5 pubmed publisher..The detection limit is about 1 Bq/l for a sample volume of 0.2l. Milk samples can be prepared without ashing. A Liquid Scintillation Counter TRI-Carb 3170TR/SL in low-level mode has been used for counting. ..
- Baglan N, Alanic G, Le Meignen R, Pointurier F. A follow up of the decrease of non exchangeable organically bound tritium levels in the surroundings of a nuclear research center. J Environ Radioact. 2011;102:695-702 pubmed publisher..As the activity levels are now close to environmental background specific attention was also paid to the analytical procedure to ensure reliable low level NE-OBT detection. ..
- Kahl S, Felder C. Scintillation proximity assay. Curr Protoc Neurosci. 2005;Chapter 7:Unit 7.15 pubmed publisher..This unit identifies potential uses of the technology for the measurement of receptor-ligand binding, cAMP accumulation, GTP binding to heterotrimeric G proteins, protease activity and cellular uptake. ..
- Yoshida E, Inadama N, Osada H, Kawai H, Nishikido F, Murayama H, et al. Basic performance of a large area PET detector with a monolithic scintillator. Radiol Phys Technol. 2011;4:134-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we concluded that spatial resolution and light output were in a trade-off relationship due to the edge effect of scintillation light. ..
- Ibáñez G, Shum D, Blum G, Bhinder B, Radu C, Antczak C, et al. A high throughput scintillation proximity imaging assay for protein methyltransferases. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2012;15:359-71 pubmed..The specific PMT inhibitors may constitute a new class of anti-proliferative agents for potential therapeutic use. ..
- Lacroix F, Guillot M, McEwen M, Gingras L, Beaulieu L. Extraction of depth-dependent perturbation factors for silicon diodes using a plastic scintillation detector. Med Phys. 2011;38:5441-7 pubmed publisher..The manufacturer recommended EPOM appears to be incorrect at low electron energy (6 MeV). In addition, the perturbation factors for diodes may be greater than predicted by Monte Carlo simulations. ..
- Wang Y, Chen Y, Chen S, Chen X, Chen J, Shen X, et al. Aspirin increases apolipoprotein-A-I-mediated cholesterol efflux via enhancing expression of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1. Pharmacology. 2010;86:320-6 pubmed publisher..H-cholesterol efflux was measured by scintillation counting. 0.5 mmol/l aspirin increased apoA-I-mediated cholesterol efflux and increased the expression of ABCA1...
- Haiyan W, Zhiyang Y, Ling Y, Ailiang H, Yanfei Z, Juying L, et al. Transformation of (14)C-pyrimidynyloxybenzoic herbicide ZJ0273 in aerobic soils. Sci Total Environ. 2010;408:2239-44 pubmed publisher..e., [pyrimidine-4,6-(14)C] ZJ0273 and [benzyl-U-(14)C] ZJ0273. Ultralow liquid scintillation counting and LC-MS/MS were used to identify the degradation intermediates and quantify their dynamics in aerobic ..
- Hou X, Jensen M, Nielsen S. Use of (99m)Tc from a commercial (99)Mo/(99m)Tc generator as yield tracer for the determination of (99)Tc at low levels. Appl Radiat Isot. 2007;65:610-8 pubmed..obtained from a commercial (99)Mo/(99m)Tc generator were measured by gamma spectrometry and liquid scintillation counting. (99)Mo and (103)Ru were found in the (99m)Tc eluate...
- Carles A. Analysis and simulation of the relative lethality of Auger-electron-emitting radionuclides with a liquid-scintillation counter. Int J Radiat Biol. 2007;83:617-23 pubmed..A liquid-scintillation counter with a gain decreased by a factor of 2.5 in one of the two photomultiplier tubes would be necessary to improve the simulation of the damaging efficiency. ..
- Zhang J, Amin A, Hölemann A, Seeberger P, Chatterjee D. Development of a plate-based scintillation proximity assay for the mycobacterial AftB enzyme involved in cell wall arabinan biosynthesis. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:7121-31 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the biotinylated disaccharide was selected to develop a scintillation proximity assay. ..
- Groning M, Auer R, Brummer D, Jaklitsch M, Sambandam C, Tanweer A, et al. Increasing the performance of tritium analysis by electrolytic enrichment. Isotopes Environ Health Stud. 2009;45:118-25 pubmed publisher..2 TU and+/-0.15 TU for liquid scintillation counting and for gas proportional counting, respectively.
- Steven B, Niederberger T, Bottos E, Dyen M, Whyte L. Development of a sensitive radiorespiration method for detecting microbial activity at subzero temperatures. J Microbiol Methods. 2007;71:275-80 pubmed..This simple method allows for sensitive, specific, and reliable detection of microbial activity occurring at subzero temperatures and is readily adaptable for studies in other cryoenvironments. ..
- Edwards W, Akers W, Ye Y, Cheney P, Bloch S, Xu B, et al. Multimodal imaging of integrin receptor-positive tumors by bioluminescence, fluorescence, gamma scintigraphy, and single-photon emission computed tomography using a cyclic RGD peptide labeled with a near-infrared fluorescent dye and a radionuclide. Mol Imaging. 2009;8:101-10 pubmed..Thus, the multimodal imaging approach could provide important complementary diagnostic information for monitoring the efficacy of new antiangiogenic drugs. ..
- Cossonnet C, Neiva Marques A, Gurriaran R. Experience acquired on environmental sample combustion for organically bound tritium measurement. Appl Radiat Isot. 2009;67:809-11 pubmed publisher..This paper presents the different improvements of the equipment. For three years, the analysis of each sample has been replicated. The experience acquired on the environmental matrices analysed using this setup is shown. ..
- Elliot Smith A, Owen D, Mott H, Lowe P. Double mutant cycle thermodynamic analysis of the hydrophobic Cdc42-ACK protein-protein interaction. Biochemistry. 2007;46:14087-99 pubmed..Such changes may well be critical for the known selectivity of Cdc42 and related proteins such as Rho and Rac, for their wide range of effectors. ..
- Yasuoka Y, Sorimachi A, Ishikawa T, Hosoda M, Tokonami S, Fukuhori N, et al. Separately measuring radon and thoron concentrations exhaled from soil using AlphaGUARD and liquid scintillation counter methods. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2010;141:412-5 pubmed publisher..5 l min(-1))). There were no significant differences between these results. Finally, it was shown that the radon and thoron concentrations in air could be measured with the AlphaGUARD and LSC methods...
- Jang K, Yoo W, Moon J, Han K, Park J, Lee B. Measurements of relative depth doses and Cerenkov light using a scintillating fiber-optic dosimeter with Co-60 radiotherapy source. Appl Radiat Isot. 2012;70:274-7 pubmed publisher..Also, Cerenkov light generated by the interactions of primary or secondary electrons and the plastic optical fiber is measured with different field sizes and depths of a water phantom using a background optical fiber. ..
- Hirano Y, Inadama N, Yoshida E, Nishikido F, Murayama H, Watanabe M, et al. Potential for reducing the numbers of SiPM readout surfaces of laser-processed X'tal cube PET detectors. Phys Med Biol. 2013;58:1361-74 pubmed publisher..However, the minimum peak-to-valley ratio did not fall below 3.9. We concluded that reducing the numbers of MPPC readout surfaces was feasible for both the 3 mm and the 2 mm X'tal cubes. ..
- Cosentino L, Finocchiaro P, Pappalardo A, Garibaldi F. Characterization of a scintillating mini-detector for time-of-flight positron emission tomography with depth-of-interaction. Rev Sci Instrum. 2012;83:084302 pubmed publisher..We stress that such a time resolution allows to increase significantly the noise equivalent counting rate, and consequently improve the image quality and the lesion detection capability. ..
- Wootton L, Beddar S. Temperature dependence of BCF plastic scintillation detectors. Phys Med Biol. 2013;58:2955-67 pubmed publisher..The generation of Cerenkov light was temperature independent. However, light transmitted through optical coupling between the scintillator and the optical fiber also exhibited temperature dependence. ..
- Seifert S, van Dam H, Huizenga J, Vinke R, Dendooven P, Löhner H, et al. Monolithic LaBr?:Ce crystals on silicon photomultiplier arrays for time-of-flight positron emission tomography. Phys Med Biol. 2012;57:2219-33 pubmed publisher..2 mm (FWHM), and a bias in the position estimates, up to 1.5 mm, was observed. Moreover, the coincidence resolving time for two identical detectors in coincidence was measured to be as small as ~198 ps FWHM. ..
- Wang C, Seidaliev M, Mandapaka A. Development and test of a GEM-based TEPC for neutron protection dosimetry. Health Phys. 2008;94:440-8 pubmed publisher..Several outstanding problems are discussed and suggestions are made to make the GEM-based TEPC a practical neutron rem meter. The potential advantage of this novel neutron rem meter would be its low weight and compactness. ..
- Ouabi H. Modeling of radon and its short-lived decay products emanating from tap water used inside a house: dose to adult members of the public. Appl Radiat Isot. 2009;67:115-21 pubmed publisher..The committed equivalent doses due to the (218)Po and (214)Po short-lived progeny of radon were evaluated in different tissues of the respiratory tract by the frequencies of using the various parts of the house. ..
- Hillwig M, Contento A, Meyer A, Ebany D, Bassham D, MacIntosh G. RNS2, a conserved member of the RNase T2 family, is necessary for ribosomal RNA decay in plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1093-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that RNS2 is part of a process that degrades rRNA to recycle its components. This process appears to be conserved in all eukaryotes. ..
- Momoshima N, Inoue F, Sugihara S, Shimada J, Taniguchi M. An improved method for 85Kr analysis by liquid scintillation counting and its application to atmospheric 85Kr determination. J Environ Radioact. 2010;101:615-21 pubmed publisher..85)Kr concentration at Fukuoka, Japan was determined by an improved (85)Kr analytical method using liquid scintillation counting (LSC). An average value of 1.54 +/- 0...
- Ziebell M, Holm Hansen S, Thomsen G, Wagner A, Jensen P, Pinborg L, et al. Serotonin transporters in dopamine transporter imaging: a head-to-head comparison of dopamine transporter SPECT radioligands 123I-FP-CIT and 123I-PE2I. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:1885-91 pubmed publisher..Whether the SERT signal contribution is of clinical importance needs to be established in future patient studies. ..
- Heemskerk J, Korevaar M, Huizenga J, Kreuger R, Schaart D, Goorden M, et al. An enhanced high-resolution EMCCD-based gamma camera using SiPM side detection. Phys Med Biol. 2010;55:6773-84 pubmed publisher..EMCCDs) coupled to scintillation crystals can be used for high-resolution imaging of gamma rays in scintillation counting mode...
- Tayeb M, Dai X, Sdraulig S. Rapid and simultaneous determination of Strontium-89 and Strontium-90 in seawater. J Environ Radioact. 2016;153:214-221 pubmed publisher..For 0.1 L seawater and 15 min counting time on a low background Hidex liquid scintillation counter (LSC), the MDC of (90)Sr was in the range of 1.7-3.5 Bq L(-1) and MDC of (89)Sr was in the range 0.5-2.4 Bq L(-1). ..
- Quick M, Javitch J. Monitoring the function of membrane transport proteins in detergent-solubilized form. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3603-8 pubmed
- Archambault L, Therriault Proulx F, Beddar S, Beaulieu L. A mathematical formalism for hyperspectral, multipoint plastic scintillation detectors. Phys Med Biol. 2012;57:7133-45 pubmed publisher..This has potential for applications such as in vivo dose verification. Furthermore, our new formalism can be used to improve the robustness and ease of use of PSDs. ..
- Kim K, Yoo W, Jang K, Moon J, Han K, Jeon D, et al. Development of a fibre-optic dosemeter to measure the skin dose and percentage depth dose in the build-up region of therapeutic photon beams. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2013;153:294-9 pubmed publisher..It is expected that the proposed FOD can be effectively used in radiotherapy dosimetry for accurate measurement of the skin dose and the depth dose distribution in the build-up region due to its high spatial resolution. ..
- Tsabaris C, Bagatelas C, Dakladas T, Papadopoulos C, Vlastou R, Chronis G. An autonomous in situ detection system for radioactivity measurements in the marine environment. Appl Radiat Isot. 2008;66:1419-26 pubmed publisher..The underwater detector is tested in the field for acquiring radon daughters ((214)Pb and (214)Bi) in a region where submarine groundwater discharge exists in the coastal zone. ..