Summary: The observation, either continuously or at intervals, of the levels of radiation in a given area, generally for the purpose of assuring that they have not exceeded prescribed amounts or, in case of radiation already present in the area, assuring that the levels have returned to those meeting acceptable safety standards.
- Pham M, Eriksson M, Levy I, Nies H, Osvath I, Betti M. Detection of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident radioactive traces in Monaco. J Environ Radioact. 2012;114:131-7 pubmed publisher..The contamination gradually decreased in air and activity concentrations returned to background values after one or two months. ..
- Evrard O, van Beek P, Gateuille D, Pont V, Lefèvre I, Lansard B, et al. Evidence of the radioactive fallout in France due to the Fukushima nuclear accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;114:54-60 pubmed publisher..Neither (131)I nor (134)Cs has been detected in environmental samples since the end of April 2011, because of the rapid decay of (131)I and the very low activities of (134)Cs (about 400 times lower than after Chernobyl accident). ..
- Shozugawa K, Nogawa N, Matsuo M. Deposition of fission and activation products after the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accident. Environ Pollut. 2012;163:243-7 pubmed publisher..239)Np is the parent nuclide of (239)Pu; (59)Fe are presumably activation products of (58)Fe obtained by corrosion of cooling pipes. The results show that these activation and fission products, diffused within a month of the accident. ..
- Kirchner G, Bossew P, De Cort M. Radioactivity from Fukushima Dai-ichi in air over Europe; part 2: what can it tell us about the accident?. J Environ Radioact. 2012;114:35-40 pubmed publisher..The caesium activity ratios indicate emissions from the core of unit 4 which had been unloaded into the fuel storage pool prior to the accident...
- Stohl A, Seibert P, Wotawa G. The total release of xenon-133 from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;112:155-9 pubmed publisher..Two of our three methods indicate even higher emissions, but this may not be a robust finding given the differences between our estimates...
- Macmullin S, Giovanetti G, Green M, Henning R, Holmes R, Vorren K, et al. Measurement of airborne fission products in Chapel Hill, NC, USA from the Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;112:165-70 pubmed publisher..42 ± 0.07 mBq/m(3) respectively. Additional activity from (131,132)I, (134,136,137)Cs and (132)Te were measured in the same air filters using a low-background HPGe detector at the Kimballton Underground Research Facility (KURF)...
- Piñero García F, Ferro García M. Traces of fission products in southeast Spain after the Fukushima nuclear accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;114:146-51 pubmed publisher..52 ± 0.08 Bq/kg, respectively. The traces of (131)I, (134)Cs and (137)Cs detected in the different samples were so low, that there is no impact on human health or the environment in Spain after the Fukushima nuclear accident. ..
- Bossew P, Kirchner G, De Cort M, de Vries G, Nishev A, De Felice L. Radioactivity from Fukushima Dai-ichi in air over Europe; part 1: spatio-temporal analysis. J Environ Radioact. 2012;114:22-34 pubmed publisher..We suggest considering such methods of data harmonization if synoptic assessment based on heterogeneous datasets is attempted. ..
- Caffrey J, Higley K, Farsoni A, Smith S, Menn S. Development and deployment of an underway radioactive cesium monitor off the Japanese coast near Fukushima Dai-ichi. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:120-5 pubmed publisherA custom radiation monitoring system was developed by Oregon State University at the request of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute to measure radioactive cesium contaminants in the ocean waters near Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power ..
- Povinec P, Holý K, Chudy M, Sivo A, Sykora I, Ješkovský M, et al. Long-term variations of 14C and 137Cs in the Bratislava air--implications of different atmospheric transport processes. J Environ Radioact. 2012;108:33-40 pubmed publisher..A correlation was found between the (137)Cs activity concentration and the dust level in the air (the correlation coefficient r = 0.74), as well as an anticorrelation with the temperature (r = -0.56)...
- Thomas S, Kühnlein A, Heinrich S, Praml G, Nowak D, Von Kries R, et al. Personal exposure to mobile phone frequencies and well-being in adults: a cross-sectional study based on dosimetry. Bioelectromagnetics. 2008;29:463-70 pubmed publisher..We did not find any statistically significant association between the exposure and chronic symptoms or between the exposure and acute symptoms. Larger studies using mobile phone dosimetry are warranted to confirm these findings. ..
- Chen J, Moir D, Sorimachi A, Tokonami S. Characteristics of thoron and thoron progeny in Canadian homes. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2011;50:85-9 pubmed publisher..With a 3 months simultaneous measurement of thoron and thoron progeny concentrations, the equilibrium factor was determined to be 0.024 with a geometric standard deviation of 2.7...
- Balonov M, Alexakhin R, Bouville A, Liljinzin J. Report from the techa river dosimetry review workshop held on 8-10 December 2003 at The State Research Centre Institute of Biophysics, Moscow, Russia. Health Phys. 2006;90:97-113 pubmed
- Masson O, Baeza A, Bieringer J, Brudecki K, Bucci S, Cappai M, et al. Tracking of airborne radionuclides from the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear reactors by European networks. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:7670-7 pubmed publisher..A rough estimate of the total (131)I inventory that has passed over Europe during this period was <1% of the released amount. According to the measurements, airborne activity levels remain of no concern for public health in Europe...
- Merz S, Steinhauser G, Hamada N. Anthropogenic radionuclides in Japanese food: environmental and legal implications. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:1248-56 pubmed publisher..A discussion of the development of the regulatory limits in Japan and Europe with regard to the current limits and radiological food safety are also included. ..
- Persson B, Holm E. Polonium-210 and lead-210 in the terrestrial environment: a historical review. J Environ Radioact. 2011;102:420-9 pubmed publisher..Since the activity concentration of (210)Po and (210)Pb in seafood is significantly higher than in vegetarian food the effective dose to populations consuming a lot of seafood might be 5-15 fold higher...
- Yoshihara T, Matsumura H, Hashida S, Nagaoka T. Radiocesium contaminations of 20 wood species and the corresponding gamma-ray dose rates around the canopies at 5 months after the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident. J Environ Radioact. 2013;115:60-8 pubmed publisher..This may be due to differences in the balance between the attenuation resulting from a shielding effect of the plant bodies and the higher radiocesium accumulation in the leaves...
- Jacob P, Bogdanova T, Buglova E, Chepurniy M, Demidchik Y, Gavrilin Y, et al. Thyroid cancer risk in areas of Ukraine and Belarus affected by the Chernobyl accident. Radiat Res. 2006;165:1-8 pubmed..At the end of the observation period, excess risk estimates were found to be close to those observed in a major pooled analysis of seven studies of childhood thyroid cancer after external exposures. ..
- Bornkessel C, Schubert M, Wuschek M, Schmidt P. Determination of the general public exposure around GSM and UMTS base stations. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2007;124:40-7 pubmed..In line-of-sight scenarios, all programs are able to predict the exposure accurately, whereas in non-line-of-sight situations, free space models overestimate the real exposure by some orders of magnitude. ..
- Kendall G, Little M, Wakeford R. Numbers and proportions of leukemias in young people and adults induced by radiation of natural origin. Leuk Res. 2011;35:1039-43 pubmed publisher..In young people up to the age of 25 years the attributable fraction is about 15%, substantially lower than a previous estimate. ..
- Steinhauser G, Schauer V, Shozugawa K. Concentration of strontium-90 at selected hot spots in Japan. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57760 pubmed publisher..This assumption could be confirmed for the samples investigated herein. ..
- Akiba S. Epidemiological studies of Fukushima residents exposed to ionising radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant prefecture--a preliminary review of current plans. J Radiol Prot. 2012;32:1-10 pubmed publisher..The help of international colleagues will be invaluable for overcoming those problems. In this paper, these efforts are briefly summarised and some comments are made. ..
- Fesenko S, Voigt G, Spiridonov S, Gontarenko I. Decision making framework for application of forest countermeasures in the long term after the Chernobyl accident. J Environ Radioact. 2005;82:143-66 pubmed..The results prove and emphasize the need for a flexible technique to provide the optimised forest countermeasures taking into account radioecological, social and economic features of contaminated forests...
- Kanai Y. Monitoring of aerosols in Tsukuba after Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant incident in 2011. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:33-7 pubmed publisher..A further research on the released (137)Cs and (134)Cs would be necessary for the sedimentology of lake sediment. ..
- Zhumadilov K, Ivannikov A, Apsalikov K, Zhumadilov Z, Toyoda S, Zharlyganova D, et al. Radiation dose estimation by tooth enamel EPR dosimetry for residents of Dolon and Bodene. J Radiat Res. 2006;47 Suppl A:A47-53 pubmed..1+/-45.5 mGy before 1949 while the younger population received up to about 100 mGy with an average value of 11.5+/-37.7 mGy. ..
- Katata G, Terada H, Nagai H, Chino M. Numerical reconstruction of high dose rate zones due to the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:2-12 pubmed publisher..The simulation also demonstrated that the radioactive plume flowed along the valleys to its leeward, which can expand the areas of a large amount of surface deposition in complex topography. ..
- Kato H, Onda Y, Teramage M. Depth distribution of 137Cs, 134Cs, and 131I in soil profile after Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:59-64 pubmed publisher..However, further analysis is required to clarify the effect of clay content on the initial penetration depth of deposited (137)Cs in soil profile...
- Steinhauser G, Merz S, Kübber Heiss A, Katzlberger C. Using animal thyroids as ultra-sensitive biomonitors for environmental radioiodine. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:12890-4 pubmed publisher..It could be shown that thyroid biomonitors can work under dry conditions, which potentially makes them the method of choice for CTBTO on-site inspections even in arid environments. ..
- Inoue M, Kofuji H, Hamajima Y, Nagao S, Yoshida K, Yamamoto M. 134Cs and 137Cs activities in coastal seawater along Northern Sanriku and Tsugaru Strait, northeastern Japan, after Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:116-9 pubmed publisher..These results can be plausibly explained by surface infusion of these isotopes into the sea by atmospheric transport from Fukushima and their subsequent reduction by water migration to off-shore and deeper regions...
- Imanaka T, Fukutani S, Yamamoto M, Sakaguchi A, Hoshi M. Width and center-axis location of the radioactive plume that passed over Dolon and nearby villages on the occasion of the first USSR A-bomb test in 1949. J Radiat Res. 2005;46:395-9 pubmed..5 km. Additional soil contamination data around Dolon and other villages are necessary for more detailed discussion. ..
- Yasumura S, Hosoya M, Yamashita S, Kamiya K, Abe M, Akashi M, et al. Study protocol for the Fukushima Health Management Survey. J Epidemiol. 2012;22:375-83 pubmed..This long-term large-scale epidemiologic study is expected to provide valuable data in the investigation of the health effects of low-dose radiation and disaster-related stress. ..
- Momoshima N, Sugihara S, Ichikawa R, Yokoyama H. Atmospheric radionuclides transported to Fukuoka, Japan remote from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power complex following the nuclear accident. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:28-32 pubmed publisher..However, these concentration levels decreased below the detection limit by April 26, 2011. Gaseous (131)I accounted for 30%-67% of the total (131)I content. The increase in dose by inhalation was negligible at Fukuoka...
- Sodickson A, Warden G, Farkas C, Ikuta I, Prevedello L, Andriole K, et al. Exposing exposure: automated anatomy-specific CT radiation exposure extraction for quality assurance and radiation monitoring. Radiology. 2012;264:397-405 pubmed publisher..Large-scale anatomy-specific radiation exposure data repositories can be created with high fidelity from existing digital image archives by using open-source informatics tools. ..
- Hirose K. 2011 Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant accident: summary of regional radioactive deposition monitoring results. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:13-7 pubmed publisher..The temporal change of the Fukushima-derived (137)Cs revealed that the apparent atmospheric residence time of the Fukushima-derived (137)Cs in sites within 300 km from the Fukushima Dai-ichi NPPis about 10 d...
- Tagami K, Uchida S, Ishii N, Kagiya S. Translocation of radiocesium from stems and leaves of plants and the effect on radiocesium concentrations in newly emerged plant tissues. J Environ Radioact. 2012;111:65-9 pubmed publisher..The type of the plant and presence of old leaves at the time of the heavy deposition period affected the radiocesium concentrations in newly emerged tissues...
- Nabeshi H, Tsutsumi T, Ikarashi A, Hachisuka A, Matsuda R. [Surveillance of radioactive cesium in foods]. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2013;54:131-50 pubmed
- PÃ¡sztor L, SzabÃ³ K, SzatmÃ¡ri G, Laborczi A, HorvÃ¡th Ã. Mapping geogenic radon potential by regression kriging. Sci Total Environ. 2016;544:883-91 pubmed publisher..The applicability of the applied method as well as that of the map is discussed briefly. ..
- Kumar M, Gupta A, Pradhan S, Bakshi A, Chougaonkar M, Babu D. Response of ionization chamber based pocket dosimeter to beta radiation. Appl Radiat Isot. 2013;82:130-2 pubmed publisher..The paper provides the reason (technical) for disparity between the doses recorded by TLDs and DRDs in mixed field of photons and beta particles. ..
- Gulati S, Yadav A, Kumar N, Kanupriya -, Aggarwal N, Kumar R, et al. Effect of GSTM1 and GSTT1 Polymorphisms on Genetic Damage in Humans Populations Exposed to Radiation From Mobile Towers. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;70:615-25 pubmed publisher..65 Â± 2.44 and 6.63 Â± 2.32) compared with control subjects (1.23 Â± 0.97 and 0.26 Â± 0.27). However, there was no association of GSTM1 and GSTT1 polymorphisms with the level of DNA damage in both exposed and control groups. ..
- Okamura H, Ikeda S, Morita T, Eguchi S. Risk assessment of radioisotope contamination for aquatic living resources in and around Japan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:3838-43 pubmed publisher..Some freshwater biota, however, are still highly contaminated, particularly in Fukushima. Highly contaminated fish generally tend to have large body size and high trophic levels. ..
- Li C, Le Roux G, Sonke J, van Beek P, Souhaut M, Van der Putten N, et al. Recent 210Pb, 137Cs and 241Am accumulation in an ombrotrophic peatland from Amsterdam Island (Southern Indian Ocean). J Environ Radioact. 2017;175-176:164-169 pubmed publisher..We report a 137Cs inventory at AMS of 144 ± 13 Bq·m-2 (corrected to 1969). Our data thus contribute to the under-represented data coverage in the mid-latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere. ..
- Wei W, He J, Wang J, Ding N, Wang B, Lin S, et al. Serum microRNAs as Early Indicators for Estimation of Exposure Degree in Response to Ionizing Irradiation. Radiat Res. 2017;188:342-354 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified a set of miRNAs that are quite sensitive to different radiation types in the early stages after exposure, demonstrating their potential use as effective indicators to predict the degree of exposure. ..
- de With G. Development of an Assessment Method for Building Materials Under Euratom Scope. Health Phys. 2017;113:392-403 pubmed publisher..A full validation and testing of the method is provided. In addition, the paper discusses issues relevant for regulatory implementation. ..