Genomes and Genes
Summary: Photography of objects viewed under a microscope using ordinary photographic methods.
- Pozas E, Paco S, Soriano E, Aguado F. Cajal-Retzius cells fail to trigger the developmental expression of the Cl- extruding co-transporter KCC2. Brain Res. 2008;1239:85-91 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that absence of KCC2 preserves the depolarizing action of GABA in CR cells and support the notion that KCC2 is a key factor controlling Cl- homeostasis and preventing hyperexcitability. ..
- Singh S, Singh D, Sugiyama H. Possible discovery of Chinese lung fluke, Paragonimus skrjabini in Manipur, India. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2006;37 Suppl 3:53-6 pubmed..The morphological features of the borax carmine-stained worms were characteristic of P. skrjabini, although no genetic material for PCR amplification and sequencing could be extracted from the worm...
- Ricci L, Schwartzer J, Melloni R. Alterations in the anterior hypothalamic dopamine system in aggressive adolescent AAS-treated hamsters. Horm Behav. 2009;55:348-55 pubmed publisher..Together these results suggest that alterations in DA synthesis and function together with modifications in D(2) receptor expression in the AH may underlie neuroplastic events which facilitate AAS-induced aggression. ..
- Rui Y, Lui P, Rolf C, Wong Y, Lee Y, Chan K. Expression of chondro-osteogenic BMPs in clinical samples of patellar tendinopathy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012;20:1409-17 pubmed publisher..Clinical samples of patellar tendinopathy showed ectopic expression of BMP-2/-4/-7. This was not evident in control samples from healthy patellar tendons. Prognostic studies, Level III. ..
- Zandim D, Correa F, Rossa Junior C, Sampaio J. In vitro evaluation of the effect of natural orange juices on dentin morphology. Braz Oral Res. 2008;22:176-83 pubmed..The data suggest that certain natural orange juices are more effective in terms of smear layer removal and dentinal tubules exposure than others. ..
- Tessema B, Eloy J, Folbe A, Anstead A, Mirani N, Jourdy D, et al. Endoscopic management of sinonasal hemangiopericytoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146:483-6 pubmed publisher..Increased experience with endoscopic management of benign and malignant sinonasal tumors has led to a shift in management of SNHPC. The authors present their experience in the largest series of patients with SNHPC managed endoscopically...
- Swamy G, Madhuravani S, Swamy G. Fine needle aspiration cytology--a reliable diagnostic tool in the diagnosis of thyroid gland enlargements. Nepal Med Coll J. 2011;13:289-92 pubmed..FNAC is an accurate and reliable diagnostic tool to evaluate the cause of Thyroid gland enlargements provided strict adherence to adequacy criteria are maintained. ..
- Pinheiro A, Meireles G, Carvalho C, Ramalho L, dos Santos J. Biomodulative effects of visible and IR laser light on the healing of cutaneous wounds of nourished and undernourished Wistar rats. Photomed Laser Surg. 2009;27:947-57 pubmed publisher..In addition, the use of both wavelengths resulted in a positive biomodulatory effect on both nourished and undernourished subjects. ..
- Salmaso N, Nadeau J, Woodside B. Steroid hormones and maternal experience interact to induce glial plasticity in the cingulate cortex. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:786-94 pubmed publisher..The current results are consistent with a role for the cingulate cortex in maternal responsivity as suggested by early lesion studies in rats and more recent imaging studies in humans. ..
- Chang Y, Lai P, Wei H, Lin W, Chen C, Hwang S, et al. Tissue regeneration observed in a basic fibroblast growth factor-loaded porous acellular bovine pericardium populated with mesenchymal stem cells. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;134:65-73, 73.e1-4 pubmed..The results provided evidence of tissue regeneration within a porous bovine pericardium through a process involving cell recruitment and tissue-specific differentiation. ..
- Albasser M, Poirier G, Aggleton J. Qualitatively different modes of perirhinal-hippocampal engagement when rats explore novel vs. familiar objects as revealed by c-Fos imaging. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:134-47 pubmed publisher..This entorhinal switch provides a potential route by which the rhinal cortex can moderate hippocampal processing, with a dynamic change from temporo-ammonic (familiar stimuli) to perforant pathway (novel stimuli) influences. ..
- Mignini F, Giovannetti F, Cocchioni M, Ingrid R, Iannetti G. Neuropeptide expression and T-lymphocyte recruitment in facial nucleus after facial nerve axotomy. J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:1479-83 pubmed publisher..The high serum levels of IL-6 at 1 to 2 days suggest that this cytokine could play a central role in the initiation of immunosurveillance and provide advance information on the recruitment of CD3+ T lymphocytes in the FN. ..
- Srur E, Stachs O, Guthoff R, Witt M, Pau H, Just T. Change of the human taste bud volume over time. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2010;37:449-55 pubmed publisher..These findings need to be considered when studying the effect of denervation of fungiform papillae in vivo using confocal microscopy. ..
- Wibowo E, Brockhausen J, Köppl C. Efferent innervation to the auditory basilar papilla of scincid lizards. J Comp Neurol. 2009;516:74-85 pubmed publisher..This re-enforces the notion that efferent feedback control of hair cells is a fundamental and important property of all vertebrate hearing organs. ..
- Mäyränpää M, Trosien J, Fontaine V, Folkesson M, Kazi M, Eriksson P, et al. Mast cells associate with neovessels in the media and adventitia of abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 2009;50:388-95; discussion 395-6 pubmed publisher..The results support participation of MCs in the pathogenesis of AAA, particularly regarding neovascularization of aortic wall. ..
- Friedman M, Abramowitz M. Microscope alignment. Curr Protoc Cytom. 2001;Chapter 2:Unit 2.7 pubmed publisher..This unit should be required reading for all students and staff using a light microscope. It clearly defines the types of illumination used in microscopes and details the correct set up and operation. ..
- Xiao D, Zikopoulos B, Barbas H. Laminar and modular organization of prefrontal projections to multiple thalamic nuclei. Neuroscience. 2009;161:1067-81 pubmed publisher..These pathways may underlie the synthesis of cognition, emotion and action. ..
- Mei B, Niu L, Cao B, Huang D, Zhou Y. Prenatal morphine exposure alters the layer II/III pyramidal neurons morphology in lateral secondary visual cortex of juvenile rats. Synapse. 2009;63:1154-61 pubmed publisher..The findings may provide the mechanistic understanding of the behavioral changes in the children whose mothers abuse opiates during pregnancy. ..
- Feng D, Chen E, Li X, Liu Y, Wang Y. Standardizing optic nerve crushes with an aneurysm clip. Neurol Res. 2010;32:476-81 pubmed publisher..The present findings suggest that Yasargil aneurysm clip effectively produces permanent injury to the optic nerve with evidence from retrograde tracing of RGCs and may provide a standard technique for optic nerve crush studies. ..
- Zherebitskiy V, Del Bigio M. Eosinophilic intracytoplasmic inclusions in Purkinje neurons of children. Neuropathology. 2009;29:9-12 pubmed publisher..Their appearance in a wide range of disorders and in neurologically normal children suggests that they are a nonspecific protein trafficking anomaly, possibly aggravated under degenerative conditions. ..
- Rao R, Prabhu S, Sripathi H, Gupta S. Vesiculobullous lesions in lipoid proteinosis: a case report. Dermatol Online J. 2008;14:16 pubmed..On long term follow-up, typical features of lipoid proteinosis developed. A high index of suspicion is required when one deals with blistering dermatosis in a child. ..
- Basir N, Yew T, Telisinghe P, Chong V. Autoimmune hepatitis in children: a report of two cases. Singapore Med J. 2011;52:e27-30 pubmed..These two cases serve to highlight the importance of considering AIH in any paediatric patient presenting with features of chronic liver disease, as the response to treatment is good. ..
- Mannan A, Singh N, Al Waheeb S, Taher T, Mohammed E. Nonossifying fibroma (metaphyseal fibrous defect) of the mandible in a 15-year-old boy. Ear Nose Throat J. 2015;94:E41-4 pubmed..We present this case to highlight the importance of recognizing nonossifying fibroma in the mandible, which can be easily confused with more common mandibular lesions. ..
- Henderson P, Weinstein A, Sohn A, Jimenez N, Krijgh D, Spector J. Hydrogen sulfide attenuates intestinal ischemia-reperfusion injury when delivered in the post-ischemic period. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;25:1642-7 pubmed publisher..129). Hydrogen sulfide provides significant protection to intestinal tissues in vitro and in vivo when delivered after the onset of ischemia. ..
- Chowdhury U, Govindappa R, Das P, Ray R, Kalaivani M, Reddy S. Histomorphometric analysis of intrapulmonary vessels in patients undergoing bidirectional Glenn shunt and total cavopulmonary connection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140:1251-6.e1-14 pubmed publisher..However, none of the histomorphometrically derived parameters could conclusively predict the outcome after univentricular repair. ..
- Shehan J, Huerter C. Desmoplastic trichoepithelioma: report of a case illustrating its natural history. Cutis. 2008;81:236-8 pubmed..We present a patient with desmoplastic trichoepithelioma that uniquely documents and supports the typical natural history of this tumor, as demonstrated by annual school photographs. ..
- Roberts W, Vowels T, Kitchens B, Ko J, Filardo G, Henry A, et al. Aortic medial elastic fiber loss in acute ascending aortic dissection. Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:1639-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, underlying abnormal ascending aortic structure uncommonly precedes acute dissection. ..
- Di Benedetto B, Kallnik M, Weisenhorn D, Falls W, Wurst W, Holter S. Activation of ERK/MAPK in the lateral amygdala of the mouse is required for acquisition of a fear-potentiated startle response. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:356-66 pubmed publisher..Given the widely held view that conditioned fear models the essential aspects of anxiety disorders, the results confirm the ERK/MAPK signaling pathway as a molecular target for the treatment of anxiety disorders in the clinic. ..
- Suarez J, Llorente R, Romero Zerbo S, Mateos B, Bermudez Silva F, de Fonseca F, et al. Early maternal deprivation induces gender-dependent changes on the expression of hippocampal CB(1) and CB(2) cannabinoid receptors of neonatal rats. Hippocampus. 2009;19:623-32 pubmed publisher..The present MD procedure may provide an interesting experimental model to further address the role of the ECS in neurodevelopmental mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. ..
- Hadjimarkou M, Abbadie C, Kasselman L, Pan Y, Pasternak G, Bodnar R. Changes in mouse mu opioid receptor Exon 7/8-like immunoreactivity following food restriction and food deprivation in rats. Synapse. 2009;63:585-97 pubmed publisher..This study indicates the sensitivity of this mE7/8-LI probe in the hypothalamic parvocellular paraventricular nucleus and rostral NTS to food restriction and deprivation in rats. ..
- Tehranipour M, Moghimi A. Neuroprotective effects of testosterone on regenerating spinal cord motoneurons in rats. J Mot Behav. 2010;42:151-5 pubmed publisher..05) reduced neuronal damage. These results indicated that testosterone has an obvious neuroprotective effect on lumbar spinal motoneurons. ..
- Ramsthaler F, Schlote J, Wagner C, Fiscina J, Kettner M. The ring phenomenon of diluted blood droplets. Int J Legal Med. 2016;130:731-6 pubmed publisher..Serum separation was highly dependent on the applied blood volume, the ambient temperature, the time elapsed since the initial deposition, and the degree of floor inclination. ..
- Dias F, Issa J, Vicentini F, Fonseca M, Leão J, Siéssere S, et al. Effects of low-level laser therapy on the oxidative metabolism and matrix proteins in the rat masseter muscle. Photomed Laser Surg. 2011;29:677-84 pubmed publisher..This study aims to analyze the effects of low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on the oxidative activity and the expression/activity of metalloproteinases of the masseter muscle...
- Triarhou L, del Cerro M. The structure of Lippmann heliochromes: Cajal and the 1908 Nobel Prize in Physics. J Chem Neuroanat. 2008;35:1-11 pubmed..Special emphasis is placed on Lippmann's discovery of heliochromes and the microscopic analyses performed on them by Cajal, including elements from relevant contemporary studies and discoveries. ..
- Chen X, Grisham W, Arnold A. X chromosome number causes sex differences in gene expression in adult mouse striatum. Eur J Neurosci. 2009;29:768-76 pubmed publisher..XY differences in the number of X chromosomes, probably because of sex differences in the expression of X gene(s) that escape inactivation. We detected no sex chromosome effect on D2 receptor mRNA. ..
- Sweet R, Henteleff R, Zhang W, Sampson A, Lewis D. Reduced dendritic spine density in auditory cortex of subjects with schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:374-89 pubmed publisher..This may contribute to impairments in auditory sensory processing that are present in subjects with schizophrenia. ..
- Samura T, Toda K, Yoshioka D, Nakamura T, Miyagawa S, Yoshikawa Y, et al. Libman-Sacks Endocarditis Due to Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Activation After Mitral Valve Plasty. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e109-e111 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case of repaired mitral valve destruction due to activation of SLE, which was caused by valve surgery itself. ..
- Viegas V, Abreu M, Viezzer C, Machado D, Filho M, Silva D, et al. Effect of low-level laser therapy on inflammatory reactions during wound healing: comparison with meloxicam. Photomed Laser Surg. 2007;25:467-73 pubmed..LLLT improves the quality of histologic repair and is useful during wound healing. However, with the methods used in this study the laser energy did not minimize tissue inflammatory reactions. ..
- Iqbal K, Khan M, Minhas L. Effects of immobilisation and re-mobilisation on superficial zone of articular cartilage of patella in rats. J Pak Med Assoc. 2012;62:531-5 pubmed..After eight weeks re-mobilisation, regeneration was still going on. No conclusion can be drawn regarding the exact time required for complete reversibility of the changes in the cartilage. ..
- Zhang Y, Niu S, Zhu J, Jia Y. [Development and application of a fundus transverse microscopic imaging system]. Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi. 2011;35:24-7 pubmed..The examination process could be finished safely, quickly and reliably. ..
- Rojas J, Lopez A, Gamboa Y, Gonzalez C, Montoya F. Assessment of processing and polymorphic form effect on the powder and tableting properties of microcrystalline celluloses I and II. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2011;59:603-7 pubmed..Most of the resulting powder and tableting properties were dependent on the polymorphic form of cellulose, rather than on the processing employed. ..
- Williams D, Brown C, Bruker J. Characterization of children's latent fingerprint residues by infrared microspectroscopy: forensic implications. Forensic Sci Int. 2011;206:161-5 pubmed publisher..These findings have relevant forensic implications; by targeting the acid salts instead of the esters or proteins, children's latent fingerprints may be recovered after extended periods of time have elapsed. ..
- Sopharak A, Uyyanonvara B, Barman S, Williamson T. Automatic detection of diabetic retinopathy exudates from non-dilated retinal images using mathematical morphology methods. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2008;32:720-7 pubmed publisher..The results are successful and the sensitivity and specificity for our exudate detection is 80% and 99.5%, respectively. ..
- Cressman V, Balaban J, Steinfeld S, Shemyakin A, Graham P, Parisot N, et al. Prefrontal cortical inputs to the basal amygdala undergo pruning during late adolescence in the rat. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:2693-709 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the structural remodeling within these afferents may be accompanied by significant changes in neurite plasticity within the BA. ..
- Craig L, Hong N, Kopp J, McDonald R. Selective lesion of medial septal cholinergic neurons followed by a mini-stroke impairs spatial learning in rats. Exp Brain Res. 2009;193:29-42 pubmed publisher..This suggests an association between the cholinergic depletion observed during aging and the potential for functional recovery following stroke. ..
- Souza Gabriel A, Colucci V, Turssi C, Serra M, Corona S. Microhardness and SEM after CO(2) laser irradiation or fluoride treatment in human and bovine enamel. Microsc Res Tech. 2010;73:1030-5 pubmed publisher..CO(2) laser may control caries progression more efficiently than fluoride sources and bovine teeth may be a suitable substitute for human teeth in studies of this nature. ..
- Kalamidas S, Kondomerkos D. The administration of nonmetabolizable glucose analogues fails to suppress the development of glycogen autophagy in newborn rat hepatocytes. Microsc Res Tech. 2010;73:1009-14 pubmed publisher..The results of this and our previous studies suggest that glucose must be metabolized beyond its phosphorylation step to inhibit acid glucosidase activity. ..
- Pieri L, Bucciantini M, Guasti P, Savistchenko J, Melki R, Stefani M. Synthetic lipid vesicles recruit native-like aggregates and affect the aggregation process of the prion Ure2p: insights on vesicle permeabilization and charge selectivity. Biophys J. 2009;96:3319-30 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that soluble Ure2p oligomers and native-like fibrils, but not amyloid fibrils, interact intimately with negatively charged lipid membranes, where they allow selective cation influx. ..