Summary: The circulation in a portion of the body of one individual of blood supplied from another individual.
- Namba T, Takaki M, Araki J, Ishioka K, Akashi T, Matsushita T, et al. Left ventricular ORS widening decreases Emax without lowering VO2-PVA relation in dog hearts. Jpn J Physiol. 1993;43:379-87 pubmed..We suspected the unusual observation to reflect no change in myocardial contractility despite ventricular asynchrony augmented by an intraventricular conduction defect. ..
- Bullivant E, Muñoz D. A natriuretic factor is released by saline infusion into rat renal artery. Am J Physiol. 1993;264:R268-80 pubmed..Increased sodium concentration in renal arterial blood was the only stimulus found to produce the effect. ..
- Murakami M, Furukawa Y, Karasawa Y, Ren L, Chiba S. Cardiovascular effects of 2-amino-N-(2,6-dimethylphenyl)-N-[3-(3-pyridyl)propyl]propionamide dihydrochloride (Ro 22-9194) in the isolated, cross-perfused atrium of the dog. Jpn Heart J. 1990;31:731-9 pubmed..These results suggest that Ro 22-9194 has non-cholinergic cardiac depressant properties with its vasodilating action, and it has neither anti-adrenergic nor anti-cholinergic actions on the dog heart. ..
- Saitoh M, Sugiyama A, Hagihara A, Nakazawa T, Hashimoto K. Cardiovascular and antiarrhythmic effects of the azulene-1-carboxamidine derivative N1,N1-dimethyl-N2-(2-pyridylmethyl)-5-isopropyl-3, 8-dimethylazulene-1-carboxamidine. Arzneimittelforschung. 1997;47:810-5 pubmed..Since HNS-32 possesses multiple cardiac direct effects which are unique compared with well-established antiarrhythmic drugs, it may become a leading compound in the search for novel antiarrhythmic agents. ..
- Gott V. Lillehei, Lewis, and Wangensteen: the right mix for giant achievements in cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:S2210-3 pubmed..This technique of cross circulation was then used in a total of 45 children during the next 16 months to successfully repair tetralogy of Fallot,..
- Bolman R. Lillehei Heart Institute Lifetime Achievement Awards. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:S2257-9 pubmed
- Szmuk P, Rabb M, Curry B, Smith K, Lantin Hermoso M, Ezri T. Anaesthetic management of thoracopagus twins with complex cyanotic heart disease for cardiac assessment: special considerations related to ventilation and cross-circulation. Br J Anaesth. 2006;96:341-5 pubmed..The complex logistical implications are obvious. We also describe the first use of bispectral index monitor for detection of cross-circulation in conjoint twins. ..
- Shaldon S. Publish and be damned!. Semin Dial. 2007;20:174 pubmed
- Petrucci Junior O, Oliveira P, Carmo M, Vieira R, Braile D. Standardization of an isolated pig heart preparation with parabiotic circulation: methodological considerations. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2003;36:649-59 pubmed..The model introduces an advantage over the classical models which use crystalloid solutions as perfusate, because parabiotic circulation mimics heart surgery with extracorporeal circulation. ..
- Tanaka N, Nozawa T, Yasumura Y, Futaki S, Suga H. Oxygen consumption for constant work is minimal at lowest working contractility in normal dog hearts. Jpn J Physiol. 1993;43:627-48 pubmed..This conclusion might pose some problems in the previous theoretical prediction as to the contractility that achieves the minimal MVO2 in a given external work. ..
- Zheng H, Liu X, Feng D, Zhang Z. [The central mechanism of pressor response induced by infusing 7.5% sodium chloride solution in hemorrhagic hypotension dog]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 1994;46:338-46 pubmedNine pairs of dogs were operated with head cross circulation and four pairs of dogs with brain cross circulation. Bleeding of formoral artery decreased the mean arterial pressure to 5.33 kPa and maintained for 30 min...
- Berglund J, Halden E, Jakobson S, Svensson J. PEEP ventilation does not cause humorally mediated cardiac output depression in pigs. Intensive Care Med. 1994;20:360-4 pubmed..As humorally mediated negative inotropism during PEEP ventilation has earlier been demonstrated in dogs, the results suggest that this mechanism might be species-dependent. ..
- Araki J, Takaki M, Namba T, Mori M, Suga H. Ca(2+)-free, high-Ca2+ coronary perfusion suppresses contractility and excitation-contraction coupling energy. Am J Physiol. 1995;268:H1061-70 pubmed..We conclude that the present protocol induced left ventricular contractile failure, primarily involving the suppression of Ca2+ handling energy for excitation-contraction coupling. ..
- Frozoni M, Zaia A, Line S, Mina M. Analysis of the contribution of nonresident progenitor cells and hematopoietic cells to reparative dentinogenesis using parabiosis model in mice. J Endod. 2012;38:1214-9 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests the participation of the nonresident progenitor cells and hematopoietic cells in reparative dentinogenesis. ..
- Lillehei C. The Society Lecture. European Society for Cardiovascular Surgery Meeting, Montpellier, France, September 1992. The birth of open-heart surgery: then the golden years. Cardiovasc Surg. 1994;2:308-17 pubmed..The creation of chronic heart block in the early operations had a very deleterious effect upon survival until highly effective electrical pacing was developed. ..
- Sugiyama A, Motomura S, Hashimoto K. Utilization of an isolated, blood-perfused canine papillary muscle preparation as a model to assess efficacy and adversity of class I antiarrhythmic drugs. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1994;66:303-16 pubmed..Thus, the use of this model facilitates the comparison of multiple cardiac effects of class I drugs and may be an effective way to better assess new antiarrhythmic drugs. ..
- Zidek W, Ottens E, Heckmann U. The effect of antihypertensive treatment on the circulating hypertensive factor in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Clin Exp Hypertens A. 1987;9:2061-73 pubmed..hypertensive rat and the effects of antihypertensive treatment on the circulating hypertensive factor, cross circulation was performed in 54 couples of spontaneously hypertensive and normotensive rats...
- Yaku H, Goto Y, Futaki S, Ohgoshi Y, Kawaguchi O, Suga H. Ventricular fibrillation does not depress postfibrillatory contractility in blood-perfused dog hearts. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1992;103:514-20 pubmed..We conclude that ventricular fibrillation per se for 20 to 40 minutes does not depress postfibrillatory contractility when coronary blood perfusion is maintained normal in the dog left ventricle. ..
- Chiba S, Ogiwara Y, Furukawa Y, Akahane K. Comparative study of cardiovascular effects of clonidine and alinidine in cross-perfused dog atrial preparations. Jpn Heart J. 1989;30:895-902 pubmed..Therefore, it was demonstrated that alinidine has anti-muscarinic properties. ..
- Suga H, Yasumura Y, Nozawa T, Futaki S, Tanaka N. Pressure-volume relation around zero transmural pressure in excised cross-circulated dog left ventricle. Circ Res. 1988;63:361-72 pubmed..5 +/- 2.0 mm Hg. Directly measured LV dead volume (Vd) at Pn was 4.1 +/- 1.3 ml/100 g. The results seem essential for evaluation of LV filling and suction during diastole. ..
- Loscher W, Kretz F, Tung L, Dillinger U. Reduction of highly elevated plasma levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid does not reverse hepatic coma. Hepatogastroenterology. 1989;36:504-5 pubmed..No amelioration of the coma was observed, thus suggesting that decreased hepatic metabolism of GABA is not critically involved in hepatic encephalopathy. ..
- Silveira Filho L, Petrucci O, Carmo M, Oliveira P, Vilarinho K, Vieira R, et al. [Development of isolated swine "working heart model" with parabiotic circulation]. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc. 2008;23:14-22 pubmed..This swine isolated "working heart" model was kept stable throughout the experiments with no administration of vasoactive drugs and it allowed adequate measurements of metabolic and hemodynamic data. ..
- Karlstrom G, Bergstrom G, Folkow B, Rudenstam J, Göthberg G. Is the humoral renal antihypertensive activity of the spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR) reset to the high blood pressure?. Acta Physiol Scand. 1991;141:517-30 pubmed
- Sugiyama A, Motomura S, Hashimoto K. Comparison of cardiovascular effects of a novel class Ic antiarrhythmic agent, NIK-244, with those of flecainide in isolated canine heart preparations cross-circulated with a donor dog. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1991;56:1-12 pubmed
- Asano T, Matsumoto T, Tachibana H, Takemoto M, Kajiya F. Myocardial microvascular perfusion after transfusion of liposome-encapsulated hemoglobin evaluated in cross-circulated rat hearts using tracer digital radiography. J Artif Organs. 2004;7:145-8 pubmed..These results suggest that NRC is superior to erythrocytes in terms of the homogenization of O2 delivery, indicating its potential therapeutic value in myocardial microcirculatory failure. ..
- Akahane K, Furukawa Y, Karasawa Y, Ren L, Chiba S. Pharmacological analysis of positive chrono- and inotropic responses to denopamine (TA-064) in dog cross-circulated atrial and ventricular preparations. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1990;52:69-79 pubmed
- Hambraeus Jonzon K, Chen L, Fredén F, Wiklund P, Hedenstierna G. Pulmonary vasoconstriction during regional nitric oxide inhalation: evidence of a blood-borne regulator of nitric oxide synthase activity. Anesthesiology. 2001;95:102-12 pubmed..Inhaled nitric oxide downregulates endogenous NO production in other, predominantly hypoxic, lung regions. This distant effect is blood-mediated and causes vasoconstriction in lung regions that do not receive INO. ..
- Takeyama O, Ikai I, Yagi T, Satoh S, Kanazawa A, Uesugi T, et al. Effects of prostaglandin E(1) on the efficacy of xenogeneic extracorporeal pig liver perfusion in a canine model of acute liver failure. Liver Transpl. 2001;7:526-32 pubmed..5 +/- 1.3 hours) or group 2 (17.1 +/- 2.9 hours). Continuous administration of PGE(1) to xenogeneic ECLP resulted in a significant improvement in both liver function and survival time of dogs with surgically induced liver failure. ..
- Takaki M, Akashi T, Ishioka K, Kikuta A, Matsubara H, Yasuhara S, et al. Effects of capsaicin on mechanoenergetics of excised cross-circulated canine left ventricle and coronary artery. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1994;26:1227-39 pubmed..No morphological changes of myocardial cells or mitochondria were detected. Therefore, the negative inotropic action is not due to the toxic effect of capsaicin. ..
- Umehara M, Totsuka E, Ishizawa Y, Nara M, Hakamada K, Sasaki M. In vitro evaluation of cross-circulation system using semipermeable membrane combined with whole liver perfusion. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:2349-51 pubmed..The perfusion experiments showed the possibility of using a whole liver with oxygenated plasma perfusion in a bioartificial liver system in vitro. ..
- Hu S, Weng Z, Jiang S, Gu J. [Humoral factors in the modulation of sustained discharges of polymodal nociceptors]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 1990;42:428-36 pubmed..The inhibitory substances in the humoral factor seem to be both opioid and nonopioid in nature. The facilitatory substance seem to be a catecholamine. ..
- Chiba S, Karasawa Y, Akahane K, Ren L. Pharmacological analysis of cardiac effects of a central cholinergic agent, WEB 1881-FU, in isolated canine heart preparations. Jpn Heart J. 1990;31:217-25 pubmed..From these results, it is concluded that WEB 1881 has a tyramine-like, catecholamine releasing property. Although a large dose of WEB 1881 has a direct cardiac depressant action, it does not affect muscarinic mechanisms in the heart. ..
- Matsushita T, Takaki M, Fujii W, Matsubara H, Suga H. Left ventricular mechanoenergetics under altered coronary perfusion in guinea pig hearts. Jpn J Physiol. 1995;45:991-1004 pubmed..The enhanced LV mechanoenergetics under increasing CPP is characterized by increases in the VO2 component primarily for the excitation-contraction coupling to a greater degree than expected from the mechanical (garden hose) effect. ..
- Barshes N, Gay A, Williams B, Patel A, Awad S. Support for the acutely failing liver: a comprehensive review of historic and contemporary strategies. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;201:458-76 pubmed
- Gott V. C. Walton Lillehei and total correction of tetralogy of Fallot. Ann Thorac Surg. 1990;49:328-32 pubmedIn March 1954, an operating team headed by C. Walton Lillehei introduced the technique of cross circulation for the first-ever total corrections of ventricular septal defect, tetralogy of Fallot, and atrioventricular canal...
- Yaku H, Goto Y, Futaki S, Ohgoshi Y, Kawaguchi O, Hata K, et al. Equivalent heart rate during ventricular fibrillation in the dog heart: mechanoenergetic analysis. Jpn J Physiol. 1991;41:945-59 pubmed..We conclude that the average frequency of contractions of individual myocytes in a fibrillating ventricle is equivalent approximately to 220 beats/min in terms of ventricular energetics. ..
- Kanki Y, Murayama Y, Yaku H, Ito M, Kawachi H, Aikawa I, et al. New assist method for orthotopic heart transplantation in the dog. J Heart Lung Transplant. 1991;10:584-90 pubmedWe used cross circulation as an assist method for orthotopic heart transplantation in eight dogs...
- Nakajima Takenaka C, Sakata S, Kato S, Ohga Y, Murata K, Taniguchi S, et al. Detrimental effects after dobutamine infusion on rat left ventricular function: mechanical work and energetics. Exp Physiol. 2005;90:635-44 pubmed
- Ohgoshi Y, Goto Y, Futaki S, Yaku H, Kawaguchi O, Suga H. New method to determine oxygen cost for contractility. Jpn J Physiol. 1990;40:127-38 pubmed..The ratio was 0.00095 +/- 0.00013 ml O2.ml.mmHg-1.beat-1.100 g LV-2. The result indicates that the oxygen cost for contractility can be reliably and efficiently determined by this new method. ..
- Nakai M, Tamaki K, Maeda M. Sympathetic and metabolic mechanisms of the cerebrovasomotor function of the caudal ventrolateral medulla in rats. Neuroscience. 1992;50:655-62 pubmed..When the function of the brain area is suppressed, the subsequently disinhibited vasodilator mechanism dominates the cerebrovascular autoregulatory function.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Suga H, Nozawa T, Yasumura Y, Futaki S, Ohgoshi Y, Yaku H, et al. Force-time integral does not improve predictability of cardiac O2 consumption from pressure-volume area (PVA) in dog left ventricle. Heart Vessels. 1990;5:152-8 pubmed..We conclude that the addition of FTI to PVA does not improve the predictability of VO2 from PVA in ordinary contractions. ..
- Hunt G, Pearson M, Bellenger C. An experimental study of cross-circulation for cardiopulmonary bypass in dogs. Res Vet Sci. 1993;55:144-50 pubmed..Seven of the eight recipient dogs were successfully weaned from cardiopulmonary bypass at the end of the procedure. ..
- Nishitai R, Ikai I, Terajima H, Kanazawa A, Takeyama O, Uesugi T, et al. Influence of extracorporeal porcine liver perfusion on nonhuman primates: minimizing hemolysis improves subsequent survival. Liver Transpl. 2001;7:615-22 pubmed..These 5 baboons survived without organ dysfunction or immunologic disturbance. When severe hemolysis is avoided, direct cross-circulation using the ECLP system can be achieved without serious complications in nonhuman primates. ..
- Furukawa Y, Akahane K, Ogiwara Y, Haniuda M, Chiba S. Positive chronotropic and inotropic effects of pimobendan (UD-CG 115 BS) in isolated, cross-circulated canine heart preparations. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1989;300:159-73 pubmed..These results indicate that pimobendan directly increases cardiac contractility and heart rate with vasodilatation in anesthetized dogs. ..
- Rikihisa N, Saito S, Ichinose M, Yano A. Establishment of a parabiotic rat model by anastomosis of common carotid artery. Microsurgery. 2000;20:116-20 pubmedA cross circulation model was established by replacing mutual blood between two rats by anastomoses of each common carotid artery...
- Rudenstam J, Bergstrom G, Göthberg G, Karlstrom G. Efferent renal nerve stimulation inhibits the antihypertensive function of the rat renal medulla when studied in a cross-circulation model. Acta Physiol Scand. 1995;155:183-91 pubmed..It is suggested that hte release of antihypertensive substances from the renal medulla requires an increased renomedullary blood flow. ..
- Fujinaka W, Shimizu J, Iribe G, Imaoka T, Oshima Y, Kiyooka T, et al. Effects of propofol on left ventricular mechanoenergetics in the excised cross-circulated canine heart. Acta Med Okayama. 2012;66:435-42 pubmed..Propofol shows mechanoenergetic effects on the LV that are similar to those of Ca(2+) blockers or ß-antagonists-i.e., it exerts negative inotropic effects without changing the oxygen costs of Emax and PVA. ..
- Koyama K, Asanuma Y, Fukaya H, Omokawa S. Effect of blood purification on the kidney function of the jaundiced rat. Artif Organs. 1988;12:305-9 pubmed..b>Cross circulation in 1 ml/min between jaundiced rats and normal rats was performed for 1 or 3 h...
- Nara M, Hakamada K, Totsuka E, Nozaki T, Takiguchi M, Sasaki M. Efficacy of double filtration plasmapheretic cross-circulation using a high permeability membrane between totally hepatectomized dogs and donor pigs. Transplantation. 2001;72:1736-42 pubmed..Our DFPCC systems with a high permeability membrane demonstrated detoxification-function and contributed to intracranial decompression and longer animal survivals without adverse immune reaction and the possibility of zoonosis. ..
- Sugiyama A, Motomura S, Tamura K, Hashimoto K. Comparison of cardiovascular effects of pirmenol with those of disopyramide in isolated canine heart preparations cross-circulated with a donor dog. Jpn J Pharmacol. 1990;53:97-110 pubmed
- Nishida T, Morita S, Masuda M, Tominaga R, Kawachi Y, Yasui H. Lazaroid U74500A is superior to U74006F in preserving rabbit heart for 24 hours. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;66:1647-52 pubmed..These data imply that U74500A inhibits lipid peroxidation and prevents ischemia-reperfusion injury more efficiently than U74006F. ..
- Kohno K, Takaki M, Ishioka K, Nakayama Y, Suzuki S, Araki J, et al. Effects of intracoronary fentanyl on left ventricular mechanoenergetics in the excised cross-circulated canine heart. Anesthesiology. 1997;86:1350-8; discussion 7A-8A pubmed..These results indicate that intracoronary fentanyl produces virtually no effects on LV mechanoenergetics for a wide range of its blood concentration. ..
- Kuntz C, Johnston S, Jacobson J, Martin R, Moon M, Shires P, et al. Controlled cross circulation in dogs: effects on donor hemodynamics. Vet Surg. 1996;25:29-39 pubmedControlled cross circulation (CCC) was performed in six pairs of dogs for 45 minutes with aortic cross clamping and cardioplegia...