Genomes and Genes
Summary: A scientific tool based on ULTRASONOGRAPHY and used not only for the observation of microstructure in metalwork but also in living tissue. In biomedical application, the acoustic propagation speed in normal and abnormal tissues can be quantified to distinguish their tissue elasticity and other properties.
- Kujawska T, Wojcik J, Filipczynski L. Possible temperature effects computed for acoustic microscopy used for living cells. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2004;30:93-101 pubmed..7 microm for the second harmonic, independently of the assumed transducer power. So the width of the beam, scanning the living cells in the focal region, was equal to 2.2 microm at the fundamental frequency of 1 GHz. ..
- Raum K, Reisshauer J, Brandt J. Frequency and resolution dependence of the anisotropic impedance estimation in cortical bone using time-resolved scanning acoustic microscopy. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2004;71:430-8 pubmed..These structures appeared to have a significant influence on the measured properties of the bone matrix for the low-frequency and low-aperture measurements. ..
- Laforsch C, Ngwa W, Grill W, Tollrian R. An acoustic microscopy technique reveals hidden morphological defenses in Daphnia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:15911-4 pubmed..Our results uncover hidden morphological plasticity and suggest a reconsideration of former classification systems in defended and undefended genotypes in Daphnia and possibly in other prey organisms as well. ..
- Zhang H, Maslov K, Stoica G, Wang L. Functional photoacoustic microscopy for high-resolution and noninvasive in vivo imaging. Nat Biotechnol. 2006;24:848-51 pubmed..fPAM is demonstrated with in vivo imaging of angiogenesis, melanoma, hemoglobin oxygen saturation (sO2) of single vessels in animals and total hemoglobin concentration in humans. ..
- Yeung B, Ng P, Chiu T, Tsang C, Li F, Chi C, et al. Prevalence and mechanism of appositional angle closure in acute primary angle closure after iridotomy. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2005;33:478-82 pubmed
- Vogt M, Ermert H. In vivo ultrasound biomicroscopy of skin: spectral system characteristics and inverse filtering optimization. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2007;54:1551-9 pubmed..A time-variant filter for inverse rf echo signal filtering was designed to compensate the system's depth-dependent imaging properties. Results of in vivo measurements are shown and discussed. ..
- Furino C, Guerriero S, Boscia F, Ferrari T, Cardascia N, Nicola C, et al. In vivo evidence of hypotrophic ciliary body in ocular ischemic syndrome by ultrasound biomicroscopy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2007;38:505-7 pubmed..Histopathologic study has demonstrated ciliary body atrophy on an ischemic basis. The authors used ultrasound biomicroscopy to demonstrate in vivo the hypotrophic condition of the ciliary body in ocular ischemic syndrome...
- Zhang E, Laufer J, Beard P. Backward-mode multiwavelength photoacoustic scanner using a planar Fabry-Perot polymer film ultrasound sensor for high-resolution three-dimensional imaging of biological tissues. Appl Opt. 2008;47:561-77 pubmed
- Kim J, Bae H, Lee K, Kim T, Kim E. Seborrheic keratosis of the conjunctiva: a case report. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2009;23:306-8 pubmed publisher..In this case, seborrheic keratosis was confirmed by pathologic report despite its similar appearance with papilloma. Seborrheic keratosis should be considered in the differential diagnosis of conjunctival lesions. ..
- Soong T, Soong V, Salvi S, Raynor M, Mudhar H, Goel S, et al. Primary corneal myxoma. Cornea. 2008;27:1186-8 pubmed publisher..This was treated with bandage soft contact lens, and no recurrence had been reported since. Our case is now 12 months post op and has had no recurrence. ..
- Damji K, Chialant D, Shah K, Kulkarni S, Ross E, Al Ani A, et al. Biometric characteristics of eyes with exfoliation syndrome and occludable as well as open angles and eyes with primary open-angle glaucoma. Can J Ophthalmol. 2009;44:70-5 pubmed publisher..This suggests the possibility that cataract formation and (or) zonular weakness may contribute to the development of an occludable angle in eyes with XFS. ..
- Yamaki K, Ohono S. Animal models of Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease (sympathetic ophthalmia). Ophthalmic Res. 2008;40:129-35 pubmed publisher..The Akita dogs also developed the autoimmune disease almost similar to the spontaneously emerging dog VKH equivalent to human VKH. The monkeys developed similar clinical findings as human VKH. These models may serve as human VKH models. ..
- Aptel F, Dumas S, Denis P. Ultrasound biomicroscopy and optical coherence tomography imaging of filtering blebs after deep sclerectomy with new collagen implant. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2009;19:223-30 pubmed
- Vásquez L, Pavlin C, McGowan H, Yucel Y, Simpson E. Ring melanoma of the ciliary body: clinical and ultrasound biomicroscopic characteristics. Can J Ophthalmol. 2008;43:229-33 pubmed publisher..With these measures, the ring melanoma clinical criteria were not filled by 5 patients. UBM is an important tool in determining the extent of ciliary body involvement and classifying these lesions. ..
- Ritch R, Vessani R, Tran H, Ishikawa H, Tello C, Liebmann J. Ultrasound biomicroscopic assessment of zonular appearance in exfoliation syndrome. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2007;85:495-9 pubmed..86]. UBM can detect zonular involvement in XFS and may be useful in preoperative planning. This may be important in eyes with posterior synechiae in which a diagnosis and the severity of XFS cannot be determined on slit-lamp examination. ..
- Ritch R, Tham C, Lam D. Argon laser peripheral iridoplasty (ALPI): an update. Surv Ophthalmol. 2007;52:279-88 pubmed..Peripheral location of long-duration, low-power, large spot size laser burns is essential for optimal success. ..
- Victor G, Alves M, Nose W. [In vivo confocal microscopy in amiodarone corneal deposits]. Arq Bras Oftalmol. 2007;70:45-50 pubmed..In stage 1 patients only the superficial and basal epithelium are affected, while patients in stages 2 and 3 have all corneal layers affected. With the advance of keratopathy the corneal nerves became thinner and tortuous. ..
- Krema H, Simpson E, Pavlin C, Payne D, Vasquez L, McGowan H. Management of ciliary body melanoma with iodine-125 plaque brachytherapy. Can J Ophthalmol. 2009;44:395-400 pubmed publisher..Iodine-125 plaque brachytherapy offered 98% tumour control at 43 months' follow-up. Radiation-related complications are generally manageable in most patients, which permits retention of the treated eye. ..
- Jiang Y, He M, Huang W, Huang Q, Zhang J, Foster P. Qualitative assessment of ultrasound biomicroscopic images using standard photographs: the liwan eye study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:2035-42 pubmed publisher..Otherwise, the anterior rotation and size of the ciliary body, the iris insertion, and the overall iris thickness are comparable in narrow- and wide-angle eyes. ..
- Fernandes B, Krema H, Fulda E, Pavlin C, Payne D, McGowan H, et al. Management of iris melanomas with 125Iodine plaque radiotherapy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010;149:70-6 pubmed publisher..This treatment scheme circumvents an intraocular procedure and may avoid the dissemination of malignant cells, and provides a margin of safety in the treatment of clinically undetectable disease. ..
- Ferreira C, Kury A. A review of Roquettea, with description of three new Brazilian species and notes on Gryne (Opiliones, Cosmetidae, Discosomaticinae). Zoolog Sci. 2010;27:697-708 pubmed publisher..Male genitalia are for the first time illustrated and described for genera Protus, Roquettea and Gryne, and SEM micrographs are used for the first time in descriptions of Cosmetidae. ..
- Luo Y, Lu Y, Yang J, Chen Q, Wang J. [Observation on the correlation of visual outcome with the position of posterior chamber intraocular lenses after transscleral fixation]. Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2008;44:297-300 pubmed..The decentration and tilt of the lens correlate with the postoperative best corrected visual acuity. In our study, we could not find the correlation between the haptic location and visual outcome. ..
- Capozzi P, Morini C, Piga S, Cuttini M, Vadalà P. Corneal curvature and axial length values in children with congenital/infantile cataract in the first 42 months of life. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:4774-8 pubmed publisher..007). In the first 42 months of age, K(m) and AL are significantly different according to age. These findings have implications for the calculation of intraocular lens power in children. ..
- Costa V, Arcieri E. Hypotony maculopathy. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2007;85:586-97 pubmed..This review will explore the definition, mechanisms, clinical findings and treatment of hypotony maculopathy. ..
- Kamal A, Hanafy M, Ehsan A, Tomerak R. Ultrasound biomicroscopy comparison of ab interno and ab externo scleral fixation of posterior chamber intraocular lenses. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009;35:881-4 pubmed publisher..The difference was not statistically significant. Ab interno and ab externo scleral fixation, which are both blind procedures, resulted in comparable low rates of sulcus fixation. ..
- Denisova L, Maev R, Leont ev V, Denisov A, Greĭson G, Rusanov F, et al. [Acoustic microscopy application for the evaluation of restorative materials bonding quality. Experimental investigation]. Stomatologiia (Mosk). 2008;87:15-24 pubmed..The differences discovered could be used as a base for the design and development of new ultrasound methods for the restorative materials bonding evaluation as well as for secondary caries revealing. ..
- Cheng H, Chen Y, Yeh S, Yau C. Errors of residual stromal thickness estimation in LASIK. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2008;39:107-13 pubmed..Especially in patients with borderline corneal thickness, intraoperative pachymetry measurements and a residual stromal thickness higher than the safety margin of 250 microm are recommended to minimize iatrogenic ectasia. ..
- El Brawany M, Nassiri D, Terhaar G, Shaw A, Rivens I, Lozhken K. Measurement of thermal and ultrasonic properties of some biological tissues. J Med Eng Technol. 2009;33:249-56 pubmed publisher..The power law dependence of the attenuation coefficient of the form eta = a f (b) as a function of frequency was found to be more appropriate than the linear fit in this study. ..
- Chan K, Birchall W, Gray T, Wells A. Acute angle closure after implantable contact lens insertion unresponsive to surgical peripheral iridectomy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:696-9 pubmed publisher..Routine ultrasound biomicroscopic assessment of the ciliary body anatomy preoperatively and ICL haptic positioning postoperatively may identify risk factors that could predispose ICL patients to acute angle closure...
- Guerriero S, La Tegola M, Monno R, Apruzzese M, Cantatore A. A case of descemet's membrane rupture in a patient affected by Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Eye Contact Lens. 2009;35:338-40 pubmed publisher..Ultrasound biomicroscopy examination confirmed the severe pathogenicity of this parasite and confirmed that only a prompt diagnosis can limit the damage caused by this affection. ..
- Saijo Y, Hozumi N, Kobayashi K, Okada N, Ishiguro T, Hagiwara Y, et al. Ultrasound speed and impedance microscopy for in vivo imaging. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:1350-3 pubmed..The impedance mode visualized fine structures of the surface of the rat's brain. This mode can be applied for intra-operative pathological examination because it does not require slicing or staining. ..
- Vogt M, Opretzka J, Perrey C, Ermert H. Ultrasonic microscanning. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2010;224:225-40 pubmed..Scanning schemes for the imaging of tissue morphology are considered, including spatial compounding as a multidirectional imaging technique. ..
- Jaiswal R, Singh J, Adams G. High-resolution ultrasound biomicroscopy for monitoring ovarian structures in mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009;7:69 pubmed publisher..Repeated general anesthesia for examination had no apparent effect on the estrous cycle, and preliminary results revealed a wave-like pattern of ovarian follicle development in mice. ..
- Yoo C, Oh J, Kim Y, Jung H. Peripheral anterior synechiae and ultrasound biomicroscopic parameters in angle-closure glaucoma suspects. Korean J Ophthalmol. 2007;21:106-10 pubmed..9 microm vs 536.4+/-140.5 microm) (p<0.05). The results suggest that the shorter distance from trabecular meshwork to ciliary body or the anterior placement of ciliary process may play a role in the development of PAS in ACGS eyes. ..
- Lehoang P, Sterkers M, Thillaye B, de Kozak Y, Coscas G, Faure J. Primate model of uveoretinitis and vasculitis/experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis induced in cynomolgus monkeys by retinal s antigen. Ophthalmic Res. 2008;40:181-8 pubmed publisher..A single systemic injection of pure human retinal S antigen could induce a chronic and recurrent ocular disease similar to human retinal vasculitis. ..
- Peizeng Y, Qianli M, Xiangkun H, Hongyan Z, Li W, Kijlstra A. Longitudinal study of anterior segment inflammation by ultrasound biomicroscopy in patients with acute anterior uveitis. Acta Ophthalmol. 2009;87:211-5 pubmed publisher..Ultrasound biomicroscopy reveals severe inflammatory changes in and around the ciliary body in patients with AAU. These signs rapidly resolve upon treatment. ..
- Castro Rebollo M, Montes Mollón M, Pérez Rico C. [Primary bilateral lipid keratopathy]. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2009;84:263-5 pubmed..The slow progressing disease is also confirmed. ..
- Bolz M, Schmidt Erfurth U, Deak G, Mylonas G, Kriechbaum K, Scholda C. Optical coherence tomographic hyperreflective foci: a morphologic sign of lipid extravasation in diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:914-20 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that the foci represent extravasated lipoproteins and/or proteins being a very early subclinical barrier breakdown sign in DME. ..
- Tham C, Leung D, Kwong Y, Li F, Lai J, Lam D. Effects of phacoemulsification versus combined phaco-trabeculectomy on drainage angle status in primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG). J Glaucoma. 2010;19:119-23 pubmed publisher..To document anatomic effects of phacoemulsification versus combined phaco-trabeculectomy on drainage angle in primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG)...
- Denisova L, Maev R, Leontjev V, Denisov A, Grayson G, Rusanov F, et al. A study of the adhesion between dental cement and dentin using a nondestructive acoustic microscopy approach. Dent Mater. 2009;25:557-65 pubmed publisherThe goal of the present study was to investigate the potential for acoustic microscopy techniques to characterize the cement-dentin interface in restored teeth...
- Boutboul S, Letaief I, Lalloum F, Puech M, Borderie V, Laroche L. Pigmentary glaucoma secondary to in-the-bag intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:1595-7 pubmed publisher..Filtering surgery was needed to control the intraocular pressure. This type of IOL can cause IOL-induced pigmentary glaucoma. ..
- Hafezi F, Mrochen M, Iseli H, Seiler T. Collagen crosslinking with ultraviolet-A and hypoosmolar riboflavin solution in thin corneas. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009;35:621-4 pubmed publisher..Preoperative swelling of the cornea safely broadens the spectrum of CXL indications to thin corneas that would otherwise not be eligible for treatment. ..
- Kitamura H, Nomura K, Arai M, Kobayashi M, Miyabayashi H, Furuta K, et al. Impairment of changes in the diameter of the pancreatic portion of the superior mesenteric vein: an ultrasonographic sign of chronic pancreatitis or fibrosis. J Ultrasound Med. 2009;28:1229-34 pubmed..The physiologic change in the diameter of the origin of the SMV enhanced by deep inspiration may reflect the stiffness of the pancreatic parenchyma. Therefore, detection of an impaired diameter change may be useful for screening of CP. ..
- Kim K, Shin H, Kim H, Song J. Correlation between ciliary sulcus diameter measured by 35 MHz ultrasound biomicroscopy and other ocular measurements. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:632-7 pubmed publisher..The derived regression formula based on mean corneal curvature measurements may help predict sulcus diameters for proper sizing of posterior chamber phakic intraocular lenses. ..
- Erdogan S, Hasiripi H, Karadag R. Glaucoma and subconjunctival crystalline lens following cow horn trauma: a rare case. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007;42:762-3 pubmed
- Malandrini A, Mittica V, Tosi G, Paradiso A, Balestrazzi A. Clinical and ultrasound biomicroscopic features in iris melanocytoma. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2009;40:46-9 pubmed..Ultrasound biomicroscopy also allows clear visualization and measurement of the tumors. These findings were compared with clinical and histopathologic findings. ..
- Yao B, Wu L, Zhang C, Wang X. Ultrasound biomicroscopic features associated with angle closure in fellow eyes of acute primary angle closure after laser iridotomy. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:444-448.e2 pubmed publisher..The anatomic findings indicate a narrower angle, a more anterior position of the ciliary body, and a thicker peripheral iris in fellow eyes of APAC after LPI may be associated with an increased risk for progressive angle closure. ..
- Hu S, Wang L. Photoacoustic imaging and characterization of the microvasculature. J Biomed Opt. 2010;15:011101 pubmed publisher..Finally, several potential technical advances toward clinical applications are suggested, and a few technical challenges in contrast enhancement and fluence compensation are summarized. ..
- Dada T, Kumar S, Gadia R, Aggarwal A, Gupta V, Sihota R. Sutureless single-port transconjunctival pars plana limited vitrectomy combined with phacoemulsification for management of phacomorphic glaucoma. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007;33:951-4 pubmed..These eyes have positive vitreous pressure, and anterior chamber formation with an ophthalmic viscosurgical device may not be possible. Surgery is difficult and prone to various intraoperative complications. ..
- Kumar R, Sakata L, Aung T. Concerns regarding ACADEMIA. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007;125:1140; author reply 1140 pubmed