Genomes and Genes
in vitro techniques
Summary: Methods to study reactions or processes taking place in an artificial environment outside the living organism.
- Daly J, Axelrod J, Witkop B. Dynamic aspects of enzymatic O-methylation and -demethylation of catechols in vitro and in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1960;235:1155-9 pubmed
- Warburg A, Miller L. Sporogonic development of a malaria parasite in vitro. Science. 1992;255:448-50 pubmed..Sporozoites were first observed on day 10 in culture. Specific circumsporozoite protein antigenicity was identified in mature oocysts and in sporozoites. It is now possible to follow the entire life cycle of Plasmodium in vitro. ..
- Frey U, Krug M, Reymann K, Matthies H. Anisomycin, an inhibitor of protein synthesis, blocks late phases of LTP phenomena in the hippocampal CA1 region in vitro. Brain Res. 1988;452:57-65 pubmed..This potentiation was ANI-sensitive as well and suggests that the maintenance of LTP is dependent on a postsynaptic mechanism. ..
- Warden G, Mason A, Pruitt B. Suppression of leukocyte chemotaxis in vitro by chemotherapeutic agents used in the management of thermal injuries. Ann Surg. 1975;181:363-9 pubmed..In addition, extrinsic impairment of normal granulocyte leukotaxis by two commonly used chemotherapeutic agents is demonstrated. ..
- Cunningham A, Murray C, O Neill L, Lynch M, O Connor J. Interleukin-1 beta (IL-1 beta) and tumour necrosis factor (TNF) inhibit long-term potentiation in the rat dentate gyrus in vitro. Neurosci Lett. 1996;203:17-20 pubmed..These results indicate a modulatory role for cytokines in hippocampus and suggest that the inhibitory effect of IL-1 beta on long-term potentiation may relate to its inhibitory effect on calcium channel activity. ..
- McCully K, Fielding R, Evans W, Leigh J, Posner J. Relationships between in vivo and in vitro measurements of metabolism in young and old human calf muscles. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1993;75:813-9 pubmed..These results support studies that showed decreases in muscle metabolism with age in healthy humans and show a good correlation between in vivo and in vitro measurements of oxidative metabolism. ..
- Wisniewski T, Castano E, Golabek A, Vogel T, Frangione B. Acceleration of Alzheimer's fibril formation by apolipoprotein E in vitro. Am J Pathol. 1994;145:1030-5 pubmed..These in vitro data suggest that the apo E4 isoform is a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease that acts to accelerate a process that can occur in its absence. ..
- Barker P, Breiter S, Soher B, Chatham J, Forder J, Samphilipo M, et al. Quantitative proton spectroscopy of canine brain: in vivo and in vitro correlations. Magn Reson Med. 1994;32:157-63 pubmed..The data presented here validate the technique of water referencing as a simple and convenient means of quantitating single-voxel in vivo proton NMR spectra of the brain. ..
- Sallusto F, Cella M, Danieli C, Lanzavecchia A. Dendritic cells use macropinocytosis and the mannose receptor to concentrate macromolecules in the major histocompatibility complex class II compartment: downregulation by cytokines and bacterial products. J Exp Med. 1995;182:389-400 pubmed..The specificity of the MR and the capacity to respond to inflammatory stimuli maximize the capacity of DCs to present infectious non-self antigens to T cells. ..
- Creager R, Dunwiddie T, Lynch G. Paired-pulse and frequency facilitation in the CA1 region of the in vitro rat hippocampus. J Physiol. 1980;299:409-24 pubmed
- Peter M, Heitlinger E, Haner M, Aebi U, Nigg E. Disassembly of in vitro formed lamin head-to-tail polymers by CDC2 kinase. EMBO J. 1991;10:1535-44 pubmed
- Suzumura A, Sawada M, Yamamoto H, Marunouchi T. Effects of colony stimulating factors on isolated microglia in vitro. J Neuroimmunol. 1990;30:111-20 pubmed..Factors from astrocytes may have a role in the transformation of microglia which occurs in either normal developing brain or inflammation in the brain. ..
- Zaleska M, Floyd R. Regional lipid peroxidation in rat brain in vitro: possible role of endogenous iron. Neurochem Res. 1985;10:397-410 pubmed..It is concluded that regional differences in lipoperoxidative capacity of brain areas in vitro are in part governed by local endogenous iron content and may indicate regional susceptibility to oxidative damage. ..
- Doong S, Tsai C, Schinazi R, Liotta D, Cheng Y. Inhibition of the replication of hepatitis B virus in vitro by 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-thiacytidine and related analogues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:8495-9 pubmed..In view of the potent and selective antiviral activity, both SddC and 5-FSddC should be further evaluated for the treatment of human HBV infection. ..
- Rasey J, Nelson N, Chin L, Evans M, Grunbaum Z. Characteristics of the binding of labeled fluoromisonidazole in cells in vitro. Radiat Res. 1990;122:301-8 pubmed..6 to 28 for the four cell types examined. Nonetheless these factors must be considered in evaluating the oxygen-dependent binding of this nitroimidazole in tumors or tissues. ..
- Schmouder R, Strieter R, Wiggins R, Chensue S, Kunkel S. In vitro and in vivo interleukin-8 production in human renal cortical epithelia. Kidney Int. 1992;41:191-8 pubmed
- Hartzen S, Frimodt Møller N, Frølund Thomsen V. The antibacterial activity of a siderophore. 1. In vitro activity of deferoxamine alone and in combination with ascorbic acid on Staphylococcus aureus. APMIS. 1989;97:419-24 pubmed..The antimicrobial effect of deferoxamine could be abolished by adding ferric citrate in ample amounts to saturate deferoxamine with iron. ..
- Keller F, Rimvall K, Barbe M, Levitt P. A membrane glycoprotein associated with the limbic system mediates the formation of the septo-hippocampal pathway in vitro. Neuron. 1989;3:551-61 pubmed..The results suggest that factors regulating general axon outgrowth may be distinct from those regulating the patterns of outgrowth that define the formation of neural circuits. ..
- Selmaj K, Farooq M, Norton W, Raine C, Brosnan C. Proliferation of astrocytes in vitro in response to cytokines. A primary role for tumor necrosis factor. J Immunol. 1990;144:129-35 pubmed
- Iuvone P, Besharse J. Cyclic AMP stimulates serotonin N-acetyltransferase activity in Xenopus retina in vitro. J Neurochem. 1986;46:33-9 pubmed..These results suggest that cyclic AMP increases retinal NAT activity by a mechanism that involves protein synthesis, and support a role for cyclic AMP in the nocturnal increase of NAT activity in darkness. ..
- Nguyen T, Brunson D, Crespi C, Penman B, Wishnok J, Tannenbaum S. DNA damage and mutation in human cells exposed to nitric oxide in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:3030-4 pubmed..We believe that these results, plus the expected deaminations of cytosine to uracil and 5-methylcytosine to thymine, account for the mutagenicity of nitric oxide toward bacteria and mammalian cells. ..
- Yap G, Stevenson M. Inhibition of in vitro erythropoiesis by soluble mediators in Plasmodium chabaudi AS malaria: lack of a major role for interleukin 1, tumor necrosis factor alpha, and gamma interferon. Infect Immun. 1994;62:357-62 pubmed..The identity of the inhibitory mediator(s) is presently unknown but is distinct from interleukin 1, tumor necrosis factor alpha, and gamma interferon...
- Houston J. Utility of in vitro drug metabolism data in predicting in vivo metabolic clearance. Biochem Pharmacol. 1994;47:1469-79 pubmed
- O Day C, Burgers P, Taylor J. PCNA-induced DNA synthesis past cis-syn and trans-syn-I thymine dimers by calf thymus DNA polymerase delta in vitro. Nucleic Acids Res. 1992;20:5403-6 pubmed..In addition, under the latter conditions, bypass of the dimers was observed, to the extent of about 30% of the products for the cis-syn dimer and about 15% for the trans-syn-I dimer. ..
- Srichaikul T, Siriasawakul T, Poshyachinda M. Ferrokinetics in patients with malaria: haemoglobin synthesis and normoblasts in vitro. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1976;70:244-6 pubmed..Marked anaemia and depressed C'3 level were found only in the group with defective haemoglobin synthesis. The significance of these findings is discussed. ..
- Giboda M, Denis M. Response of Kampuchean strains of Plasmodium falciparum to antimalarials: in-vivo assessment of quinine and quinine plus tetracycline; multiple drug resistance in vitro. J Trop Med Hyg. 1988;91:205-11 pubmed..Thirty-four patients with falciparum malaria were screened for in-vitro resistance to chloroquine, mefloquine and quinine using the WHO standard micro-test.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Barrows L, Magee P. Nonenzymatic methylation of DNA by S-adenosylmethionine in vitro. Carcinogenesis. 1982;3:349-51 pubmed
- Madison D, Nicoll R. Control of the repetitive discharge of rat CA 1 pyramidal neurones in vitro. J Physiol. 1984;354:319-31 pubmed..Both of these currents are turned on during excitation of the neurone and act in an inhibitory manner on that neurone to limit further action potential discharge. ..
- Friedenstein A, Chailakhyan R, Latsinik N, Panasyuk A, Keiliss Borok I. Stromal cells responsible for transferring the microenvironment of the hemopoietic tissues. Cloning in vitro and retransplantation in vivo. Transplantation. 1974;17:331-40 pubmed
- Alger J, Shulman R. NMR studies of enzymatic rates in vitro and in vivo by magnetization transfer. Q Rev Biophys. 1984;17:83-124 pubmed
- Heifets L, Lindholm Levy P. Pyrazinamide sterilizing activity in vitro against semidormant Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacterial populations. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1992;145:1223-5 pubmed..To distinguish this effect of pyrazinamide on the semidormant bacteria from its mostly bacteriostatic activity against actively multiplying bacteria, we suggest interpreting the in vitro effect as "sterilizing." ..
- Munoz C, Carlet J, Fitting C, Misset B, Bleriot J, Cavaillon J. Dysregulation of in vitro cytokine production by monocytes during sepsis. J Clin Invest. 1991;88:1747-54 pubmed
- Sun J, Jurisicova A, Casper R. Detection of deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation in human sperm: correlation with fertilization in vitro. Biol Reprod. 1997;56:602-7 pubmed
- Morales P, Palma V, Salgado A, Villalon M. Sperm interaction with human oviductal cells in vitro. Hum Reprod. 1996;11:1504-9 pubmed..These results suggest that incubation with oviductal cells increases sperm survival, stabilizes the acrosome, and modifies the frequency of ciliary beat. ..
- Maciver M, Roth S. Inhalation anaesthetics exhibit pathway-specific and differential actions on hippocampal synaptic responses in vitro. Br J Anaesth. 1988;60:680-91 pubmed..The results indicate that inhalation anaesthetics act at multiple and selective hydrophobic recognition sites which are heterogenously distributed on different synaptic pathways. ..
- Garetz S, Rhee D, Schacht J. Sulfhydryl compounds and antioxidants inhibit cytotoxicity to outer hair cells of a gentamicin metabolite in vitro. Hear Res. 1994;77:75-80 pubmed..Alternatively or additionally, sulfhydryl compounds or antioxidants may participate in detoxification reactions. ..
- Zhang Y, den Braver Sewradj S, Vos J, Vermeulen N, Commandeur J. Human glutathione S-transferases- and NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1-catalyzed inactivation of reactive quinoneimines of amodiaquine and N-desethylamodiaquine: Possible implications for susceptibility to amodiaquine-induced liver toxicity. Toxicol Lett. 2017;275:83-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that a low hepatic expression of the active GSTs and NQO1 may increase the susceptibility of patients to AQ idiosyncratic hepatotoxicity. ..
- Grosman C, Salamone F, Sine S, Auerbach A. The extracellular linker of muscle acetylcholine receptor channels is a gating control element. J Gen Physiol. 2000;116:327-40 pubmed..Characterization of the transition state of the gating reaction suggests that during channel opening the M2-M3L of the alpha subunit moves before the corresponding linkers of the beta and straightepsilon subunits. ..
- Barzegar M, Ma S, Zhang C, Chen X, Gu Y, Shang C, et al. SKLB188 inhibits the growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma by suppressing EGFR signalling. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1154-1163 pubmed publisher..The results provide a basis for further clinical investigation of SKLB188 as a targeted therapy for HNSCC. Our findings may open a new avenue for development of novel EGFR inhibitors for treatment of HNSCC and other cancers. ..
- Scullin C, Tafoya L, Wilson M, Partridge L. Presynaptic residual calcium and synaptic facilitation at hippocampal synapses of mice with altered expression of SNAP-25. Brain Res. 2012;1431:1-12 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the isoform expression and total level of SNAP-25 affect both [Ca(2+)](res) dynamics and the ability of releasable vesicles to enter into a facilitated state. ..
- Benoit B, Meugnier E, Castelli M, Chanon S, Vieille Marchiset A, Durand C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 19 regulates skeletal muscle mass and ameliorates muscle wasting in mice. Nat Med. 2017;23:990-996 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide evidence that the enterokine FGF19 is a novel factor in the regulation of skeletal muscle mass, and that it has therapeutic potential for the treatment of muscle wasting. ..
- Pandian S, Jeevanesan V, Ponnusamy C, Natesan S. RES-loaded pegylated CS NPs: for efficient ocular delivery. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:32-39 pubmed publisher..3?±?0.5?mmHg up to 8?h in normotensive rabbits. These results indicate that the developed NPs have efficient delivery of RES to the ocular tissues and reduce the IOP for the treatment of glaucoma. ..
- Pitangui Molina C, Vireque A, Tata A, Belaz K, Santos V, Ferreira C, et al. Effect of soybean phosphatidylcholine on lipid profile of bovine oocytes matured in vitro. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;204:76-84 pubmed publisher..The reported approach will allow for the development of novel strategies to modulate oocyte membrane dynamics and structure. ..
- Saravana Kumar P, Al Dhabi N, Duraipandiyan V, Balachandran C, Praveen Kumar P, Ignacimuthu S. In vitro antimicrobial, antioxidant and cytotoxic properties of Streptomyces lavendulae strain SCA5. BMC Microbiol. 2014;14:291 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that the EA-SCA5 could be probed further for isolating some medically useful compounds. ..
- Simplicio J, Pernomian L, Simão M, Carnio E, Batalhao M, Ambrosio S, et al. Mechanisms underlying the vascular and hypotensive actions of the labdane ent-3-acetoxy-labda-8(17),13-dien-15-oic acid. Eur J Pharmacol. 2014;726:66-76 pubmed..In conclusion, the mechanisms underlying the cardiovascular actions of the labdane involve the activation of the endothelial NO-cGMP pathway, the opening of K+ channels and the alteration on Ca2+ mobilization...
- Shevelev O, Illarionova N, Petrovski D, Sarapultsev A, Chupakhin O, Moshkin M. Effects of a compound from the group of substituted thiadiazines with hypothermia inducing properties on brain metabolism in rats, a study in vivo and in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180739 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in the study indicate that acute administration of L-17 190 mg/kg in rats induces mild hypothermia with no adverse effects onto brain metabolism. ..
- Weir G, Karkada M, Hoskin D, Stanford M, Macdonald L, Mansour M, et al. Combination of poly I:C and Pam3CSK4 enhances activation of B cells in vitro and boosts antibody responses to protein vaccines in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180073 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that combinations of TLR adjuvants promote more effective B cell activation in vitro and can be used to augment antibody responses to vaccines in vivo. ..
- Wilkinson D, Habgood A, Lamb H, Thompson P, Hawkins A, Desilets A, et al. Matriptase Induction of Metalloproteinase-Dependent Aggrecanolysis In Vitro and In Vivo: Promotion of Osteoarthritic Cartilage Damage by Multiple Mechanisms. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:1601-1611 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic targeting of matriptase proteolytic activity reduces metalloproteinase activity, further suggesting that this serine proteinase may have potential as a disease-modifying therapy in OA. ..
- Kozuka T, Chaya T, Tamalu F, Shimada M, Fujimaki Aoba K, Kuwahara R, et al. The TRPM1 Channel Is Required for Development of the Rod ON Bipolar Cell-AII Amacrine Cell Pathway in the Retinal Circuit. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9889-9900 pubmed publisher..This study advances our understanding of neurotransmission-mediated retinal circuit refinement. ..
- Choudhary V, Olala L, Kagha K, Pan Z, Chen X, Yang R, et al. Regulation of the Glycerol Transporter, Aquaporin-3, by Histone Deacetylase-3 and p53 in Keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1935-1944 pubmed publisher..Because suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid is already approved to treat cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, it could potentially be used as a therapy for skin diseases like psoriasis, where AQP3 is abnormally expressed. ..
- Sirenko S, Yang D, Maltseva L, Kim M, Lakatta E, Maltsev V. Spontaneous, local diastolic subsarcolemmal calcium releases in single, isolated guinea-pig sinoatrial nodal cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185222 pubmed publisher..Lack of LCRs in prior studies is likely explained by technical issues, as individual LCRs are small stochastic events occurring mainly near the cell border. ..
- Navarro G, Abdolazimi Y, Zhao Z, Xu H, Lee S, Armstrong N, et al. Genetic Disruption of Adenosine Kinase in Mouse Pancreatic ?-Cells Protects Against High-Fat Diet-Induced Glucose Intolerance. Diabetes. 2017;66:1928-1938 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ADK expression negatively regulates the adaptive ?-cell response to HFD challenge. Therefore, modulation of ADK activity is a potential strategy for enhancing the adaptive ?-cell response. ..
- Dai Y, Molazemhosseini A, Liu C. A Single-Use, In Vitro Biosensor for the Detection of T-Tau Protein, A Biomarker of Neuro-Degenerative Disorders, in PBS and Human Serum Using Differential Pulse Voltammetry (DPV). Biosensors (Basel). 2017;7: pubmed publisher..This tool could also be extended to detect other biomarkers for neuro-degenerative disorders, such as P-Tau protein and ?-amyloid 42. ..
- Bonfield W, Li C. The temperature dependence of the deformation of bone. J Biomech. 1968;1:323-9 pubmed
- Plath T, Detjen K, Welzel M, von Marschall Z, Murphy D, Schirner M, et al. A novel function for the tumor suppressor p16(INK4a): induction of anoikis via upregulation of the alpha(5)beta(1) fibronectin receptor. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1467-78 pubmed..These data suggest a novel functional interference between a cell cycle-regulating tumor suppressor gene and membrane-bound integrins, thus regulating a hallmark feature of an epithelial transformed phenotype: susceptibility to anoikis. ..
- Shi H, Wang H, Lu Y, Yang B, Wang Z. Choline modulates cardiac membrane repolarization by activating an M3 muscarinic receptor and its coupled K+ channel. J Membr Biol. 1999;169:55-64 pubmed..Our data indicate that choline modulates the cellular electrical properties of the hearts, likely by activating a K+ current via stimulation of M3 receptors. ..
- Roberson E, English J, Adams J, Selcher J, Kondratick C, Sweatt J. The mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade couples PKA and PKC to cAMP response element binding protein phosphorylation in area CA1 of hippocampus. J Neurosci. 1999;19:4337-48 pubmed
- Beukhof C, van Doorn L, Visser T, Bins S, Visser W, van Heerebeek R, et al. Sorafenib-Induced Changes in Thyroid Hormone Levels in Patients Treated for Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2922-2929 pubmed publisher..These in vivo data suggest that sorafenib affects TFTs on multiple levels. Our in vitro experiments suggest a possible role of sorafenib-induced inhibition of T3 transport into the cell by MCT8 and MCT10. ..
- Lin W, Bolton E, Cortopassi W, Wang Y, O Brien F, Maciejewska M, et al. Synthesis of the Ca2+-mobilizing messengers NAADP and cADPR by intracellular CD38 enzyme in the mouse heart: Role in ?-adrenoceptor signaling. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13243-13257 pubmed publisher..These observations support generation of NAADP and cADPR by intracellular CD38, which contributes to effects of ?-adrenoreceptor stimulation to increase both Ca2+ transients and the tendency to disturb heart rhythm. ..
- Chen W, Beck I, Schober W, Brockow K, Effner R, Buters J, et al. Human mast cells express androgen receptors but treatment with testosterone exerts no influence on IgE-independent mast cell degranulation elicited by neuromuscular blocking agents. Exp Dermatol. 2010;19:302-4 pubmed publisher..Our study shows for the first time the expression of AR in human skin mast cells. Further studies using primary human mast cell cultures are needed to understand whether and how sex hormones can influence mast cell activation. ..
- Uchino T, Miyazaki Y, Fujii A, Kagawa Y. Characterization and Evaluation of Skin Permeation of Tocopheryl Phosphoric Acid-loaded Phospholipid Nanoparticles. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:979-986 pubmed publisher..And it was strongly suggested that glycerin has an important role for changing the structure of nanoparticles and enhancing the skin permeation of TPA. ..
- Takeichi T, Torrelo A, Lee J, Ohno Y, Lozano M, Kihara A, et al. Biallelic Mutations in KDSR Disrupt Ceramide Synthesis and Result in a Spectrum of Keratinization Disorders Associated with Thrombocytopenia. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:2344-2353 pubmed publisher..Mutations in KDSR cause defective ceramide biosynthesis, underscoring the importance of ceramide and sphingosine synthesis pathways in skin and platelet biology. ..
- Greenberg H, Carlton Carew S, Khan D, Zargaran A, Jahan K, Vanessa Ho W, et al. Heteromeric TRPV4/TRPC1 channels mediate calcium-sensing receptor-induced nitric oxide production and vasorelaxation in rabbit mesenteric arteries. Vascul Pharmacol. 2017;96-98:53-62 pubmed publisher..This further implicates CaSR-induced pathways and heteromeric TRPV4-TRPC1 channels in regulating vascular tone. ..
- Belair D, Wolf C, Wood C, Ren H, Grindstaff R, Padgett W, et al. Engineering human cell spheroids to model embryonic tissue fusion in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184155 pubmed publisher..The method described here may broadly apply to the generation of three-dimensional epithelial-mesenchymal co-cultures to study developmental fusion events in a format that is amenable to predictive toxicology applications. ..
- Masaki Y, Kumano K, Endo T, Iwamura M, Koshiba K, Yokota K, et al. Protective effect of nicaraven against prolonged cold kidney preservation and reperfusion injury. Transplant Proc. 1998;30:3758-60 pubmed