Genomes and Genes
multilocus sequence typing
Summary: Direct nucleotide sequencing of gene fragments from multiple housekeeping genes for the purpose of phylogenetic analysis, organism identification, and typing of species, strain, serovar, or other distinguishable phylogenetic level.
- Idris H, Labeda D, Nouioui I, Castro J, Del Carmen Montero Calasanz M, Bull A, et al. Streptomyces aridus sp. nov., isolated from a high altitude Atacama Desert soil and emended description of Streptomyces noboritoensis Isono et al. 1957. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2017;110:705-717 pubmed publisher..melanogenes and S. noboritoensis type strains belong to a single species, it is proposed that S. melanogenes be recognised as a heterotypic synonym of S. noboritoensis for which an emended description is given. ..
- Nijhuis R, Veldman K, Schelfaut J, van Essen Zandbergen A, Wessels E, Claas E, et al. Detection of the plasmid-mediated colistin-resistance gene mcr-1 in clinical isolates and stool specimens obtained from hospitalized patients using a newly developed real-time PCR assay. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:2344-6 pubmed publisher
- Covey P, Kuwitzky B, Hanson M, Webb K. Multilocus analysis using putative fungal effectors to describe a population of Fusarium oxysporum from sugar beet. Phytopathology. 2014;104:886-96 pubmed publisher..Of these, Fmk1, Fow1, PelA, Rho1, Sge1, Snf1, and Ste12 were significant in relating clade designations and PelD, and Prt1 were significant for correlating with pathogenicity in F. oxysporum f. sp. betae. ..
- Chen S, Zhang H, Liu X, Wang W, Hou S, Li T, et al. Increasing threat of brucellosis to low-risk persons in urban settings, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:126-30 pubmed publisher..This finding implies that the increasing threat of brucellosis might affect low-risk persons in urban settings in China. ..
- Georgi E, Walter M, Pfalzgraf M, Northoff B, Holdt L, Scholz H, et al. Whole genome sequencing of Brucella melitensis isolated from 57 patients in Germany reveals high diversity in strains from Middle East. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175425 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of a detailed genetic investigation of an extensive collection of B. melitensis strains isolated from human cases in Germany. ..
- Msaddak A, Rejili M, Durán D, Rey L, Imperial J, Palacios J, et al. Members of Microvirga and Bradyrhizobium genera are native endosymbiotic bacteria nodulating Lupinus luteus in Northern Tunisian soils. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..canariense/B. lupini lineages, and the remaining strains belong to two groups not previously identified as L. luteus endosymbionts: one corresponding to a new clade of Bradyrhizobium and the other to the genus Microvirga...
- Varela A, Macedo G, Nunes O, Manaia C. Genetic characterization of fluoroquinolone resistant Escherichia coli from urban streams and municipal and hospital effluents. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2015;91: pubmed publisher..streams, wastewater treatment plants and hospital effluent between 2004 and 2012, were compared based on multilocus sequence typing (MLST), quinolone and beta-lactam resistance determinants and plasmid replicon type...
- Yang X, Qian S, Yao K, Wang L, Liu Y, Dong F, et al. Multiresistant ST59-SCCmec IV-t437 clone with strong biofilm-forming capacity was identified predominantly in MRSA isolated from Chinese children. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:733 pubmed publisher..Isolates were typed by multilocus sequence typing (MLST), spa and SCCmec typing (for Methicillin-resistant SA [MRSA] only)...
- Umeda K, Nakamura H, Yamamoto K, Nishina N, Yasufuku K, Hirai Y, et al. Molecular and epidemiological characterization of staphylococcal foodborne outbreak of Staphylococcus aureus harboring seg, sei, sem, sen, seo, and selu genes without production of classical enterotoxins. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;256:30-35 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest new SE/SEls as a potential cause of foodborne outbreaks. ..
- Inns T, Lane C, Peters T, Dallman T, Chatt C, McFarland N, et al. A multi-country Salmonella Enteritidis phage type 14b outbreak associated with eggs from a German producer: 'near real-time' application of whole genome sequencing and food chain investigations, United Kingdom, May to September 2014. Euro Surveill. 2015;20: pubmed..Combined with food traceback information, this confirmed that the UK outbreak was also linked to a German producer. ..
- Zhang C, Zhang J, Zhao J, Zhao X, Zhao D, Yin H, et al. Serratia oryzae sp. nov., isolated from rice stems. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2928-2933 pubmed publisher..Characterization by genotypic and phenotypic analysis indicated that J11-6T (=ACCC 19934T=KCTC 52529T) represents a novel species of the genus Serratia, for which the name Serratia oryzae sp. nov. is proposed. ..
- Limmathurotsakul D, Wongsuvan G, Aanensen D, Ngamwilai S, Saiprom N, Rongkard P, et al. Melioidosis caused by Burkholderia pseudomallei in drinking water, Thailand, 2012. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:265-8 pubmed publisher..The multilocus sequence type of B. pseudomallei from clinical specimens and water samples were identical for 2 patients. This finding suggests that drinking water is a preventable source of B. pseudomallei infection. ..
- Yan D, Chen Y, Lv T, Huang Y, Yang J, Li Y, et al. Clostridium difficile colonization and infection in patients with hepatic cirrhosis. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:1483-1488 pubmed publisher..difficile were isolated from patients with hepatic cirrhosis within 48?h after admission, followed by multilocus sequence typing (MLST)...
- Tohno M, Tanizawa Y, Irisawa T, Masuda T, Sakamoto M, Arita M, et al. Lactobacillus silagincola sp. nov. and Lactobacillus pentosiphilus sp. nov., isolated from silage. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3639-3644 pubmed publisher..nov. and Lactobacillus pentosiphilus sp. nov., respectively. ..
- Zheng M, Piao C, Xue H, Guo M, Li Y. Brenneria populi subsp. brevivirga subsp. nov. isolated from symptomatic bark of Populus × euramericana canker, and description of Brenneria populi subsp. populi subsp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3633-3638 pubmed publisher..populi subsp. brevivirga subsp. nov. is proposed with D8-10-4-5T (=CFCC 11935T=KCTC 42841T) as the type strain, with the automatic creation of B. populi subsp. populi subsp. nov. (type strain D9-5T=CFCC 11963T=KCTC 42088T). ..
- Tada T, Tsuchiya M, Shimada K, Nga T, Thu L, Phu T, et al. Dissemination of Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae clinical isolates with various combinations of Carbapenemases (KPC-2, NDM-1, NDM-4, and OXA-48) and 16S rRNA Methylases (RmtB and RmtC) in Vietnam. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:467 pubmed publisher..Antimicrobial susceptibility tests and whole genome sequencing were performed. Multilocus sequence typing and the presence of drug resistant genes were determined and a maximum-likelihood phylogenetic tree was ..
- Jiao Y, Qin Y, Liu J, Li Q, Dong Y, Shang Y, et al. Risk factors for carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae infection/colonization and predictors of mortality: a retrospective study. Pathog Glob Health. 2015;109:68-74 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae (CSKP) infection/colonization at the same site. Homology analysis was conducted by multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). Potential resistance genes were detected by PCR...
- Cunha M, Saidenberg A, Moreno A, Ferreira A, Vieira M, Gomes T, et al. Pandemic extra-intestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli (ExPEC) clonal group O6-B2-ST73 as a cause of avian colibacillosis in Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178970 pubmed publisher..These results further suggest the zoonotic potential of some APEC clonal lineages and their possible role in the epidemiology of human ExPEC, in addition to providing the first description of the O6-B2-ST73 clonal group in poultry. ..
- Boonkhot P, Tadee P, Yamsakul P, Pocharoen C, Chokesajjawatee N, Patchanee P. Class 1 integrons characterization and multilocus sequence typing of Salmonella spp. from swine production chains in Chiang Mai and Lamphun provinces, Thailand. Jpn J Vet Res. 2015;63:83-94 pubmed..organisms obtained from swine production chains in Chiang Mai and Lamphun provinces, Thailand, using multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and comparison of genetic diversity of sequence types of Salmonella from this study with ..
- Tettelin H, Davidson R, Agrawal S, Aitken M, Shallom S, Hasan N, et al. High-level relatedness among Mycobacterium abscessus subsp. massiliense strains from widely separated outbreaks. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:364-71 pubmed publisher..We propose 2 diagnostic strategies that use partial sequencing of rpoB and secA1 genes and a multilocus sequence typing protocol.
- Lester C, Olsen S, Jakobsen L, Arpi M, Fuursted K, Hansen D, et al. Emergence of extended-spectrum ?-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Danish hospitals; this is in part explained by spread of two CTX-M-15 clones with multilocus sequence types 15 and 16 in Zealand. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2011;38:180-2 pubmed publisher
- Margos G, Fedorova N, Kleinjan J, Hartberger C, Schwan T, Sing A, et al. Borrelia lanei sp. nov. extends the diversity of Borrelia species in California. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3872-3876 pubmed publisher..The type strain for Borrelia lanei sp. nov., strain CA28-91T, has been deposited to two culture collections (=DSM 17992T=CIP 109135T). ..
- de Been M, Pinholt M, Top J, Bletz S, Mellmann A, van Schaik W, et al. Core Genome Multilocus Sequence Typing Scheme for High- Resolution Typing of Enterococcus faecium. J Clin Microbiol. 2015;53:3788-97 pubmed..Since the start of the 21st century, multilocus sequence typing (MLST) has been used to study the molecular epidemiology of E. faecium...
- Sugawara Y, Akeda Y, Sakamoto N, Takeuchi D, Motooka D, Nakamura S, et al. Genetic characterization of blaNDM-harboring plasmids in carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli from Myanmar. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184720 pubmed publisher..The results indicate circulation of phylogenetically distinct strains of carbapenem-resistant E. coli with various plasmids harboring blaNDM genes in the hospital...
- Suttisunhakul V, Pumpuang A, Ekchariyawat P, Wuthiekanun V, Elrod M, Turner P, et al. Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the identification of Burkholderia pseudomallei from Asia and Australia and differentiation between Burkholderia species. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175294 pubmed publisher..pseudomallei and B. mallei, while the recA tree did not. MALDI-TOF MS is an accurate method for the identification of B. pseudomallei, and discriminates between this and other related Burkholderia species. ..
- Mustafa A, Habibi N, Osman A, Shaheed F, Khan M. Species identification and molecular typing of human Brucella isolates from Kuwait. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182111 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the combined minimum spanning tree analysis demonstrated that, compared to MLVA types discovered all over the world, the Kuwaiti isolates were a distinct group of MLVA-11 and MLVA-16 types in the East Mediterranean Region. ..
- Li N, Xiao L, Cama V, Ortega Y, Gilman R, Guo M, et al. Genetic recombination and Cryptosporidium hominis virulent subtype IbA10G2. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1573-82 pubmed publisher..These findings improve our understanding of the origin and evolution of C. hominis subtypes and the spread of virulent subtypes. ..
- Amato E, Filipello V, Gori M, Lomonaco S, Losio M, Parisi A, et al. Identification of a major Listeria monocytogenes outbreak clone linked to soft cheese in Northern Italy - 2009-2011. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:342 pubmed publisher..cluster grouped 31 isolates that belonged to serotype 1/2a and Sequence Type 38 (ST38) as defined by Multilocus Sequence Typing (MLST)...
- Kenna D, Lilley D, Coward A, Martin K, Perry C, Pike R, et al. Prevalence of Burkholderia species, including members of Burkholderia cepacia complex, among UK cystic and non-cystic fibrosis patients. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:490-501 pubmed publisher..81). The dominance of B. multivorans in CF, the presence of a B. cepacia cluster among non-CF patients and the existence of putative novel species all highlighted the continuing role of Burkholderia species as opportunistic pathogens. ..
- Song J, Cui B. Phylogeny, divergence time and historical biogeography of Laetiporus (Basidiomycota, Polyporales). BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:102 pubmed publisher..Four intercontinental dispersal routes and a possible concealed dispersal route were established for the first time. ..
- Vicente J, Rothwell S, Holub E, Studholme D. Pathogenic, phenotypic and molecular characterisation of Xanthomonas nasturtii sp. nov. and Xanthomonas floridensis sp. nov., new species of Xanthomonas associated with watercress production in Florida. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3645-3654 pubmed publisher..Although the importance of the new pathogenic species is yet to be determined, the bacterial disease that it causes constitutes a threat to watercress production and its distribution should be monitored...
- Potron A, Bernabeu S, Cuzon G, Ponties V, Blanchard H, Seringe E, et al. Analysis of OXA-204 carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae reveals possible endoscopy-associated transmission, France, 2012 to 2014. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..The blaOXA-204 gene was located on a 150-kb IncA/C plasmid, isolated from various enterobacterial species in the same patient, indicating a high conjugative ability of this genetic vehicle...
- Feodoroff B, de Haan C, Ellström P, Sarna S, Hänninen M, Rautelin H. Clonal distribution and virulence of Campylobacter jejuni isolates in blood. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1653-5 pubmed publisher..Seventy-three C. jejuni isolates from blood collected in Finland were analyzed by multilocus sequence typing and serum resistance...
- Moura A, Kretz C, Ferreira Í, Nunes A, de Moraes J, Reis M, et al. Molecular characterization of Neisseria meningitidis isolates recovered from 11-19-year-old meningococcal carriers in Salvador, Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185038 pubmed publisher..isolates, collected from adolescents resident in Salvador, Brazil during 2014, were characterized by multilocus sequence typing, genotyping or whole-genome sequencing. Most were nongroupable (61.0%), followed by genogroups B (11...
- Beukers A, Zaheer R, Goji N, Amoako K, Chaves A, Ward M, et al. Comparative genomics of Enterococcus spp. isolated from bovine feces. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:52 pubmed publisher..faecium from the NCBI database demonstrated differential clustering of commensal and clinical isolates, suggesting that these strains may be specifically adapted to their respective environments. ..
- Sulaiman I, Jacobs E, Simpson S, Kerdahi K. Multilocus Genetic Characterization of Lactobacillus fermentum Isolated from Ready-to-Eat Canned Food. J Food Prot. 2017;80:963-968 pubmed publisher..The recovered isolates were subsequently sequenced at rRNA and gyrB loci. Afterward, multilocus sequence typing (MLST) was performed characterizing 11 additional known MLST loci (clpX, dnaA, dnaK, groEL, murC, murE, ..
- Odetoyin B, Labar A, Lamikanra A, Aboderin A, Okeke I. Classes 1 and 2 integrons in faecal Escherichia coli strains isolated from mother-child pairs in Nigeria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183383 pubmed publisher..There is a need for improved surveillance for resistance and its mechanisms of dissemination and persistence and mobility of resistance genes in the community and clinical settings. ..
- Alanio A, Desnos Ollivier M, Garcia Hermoso D, Bretagne S. Investigating Clinical Issues by Genotyping of Medically Important Fungi: Why and How?. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2017;30:671-707 pubmed publisher..Two methods have emerged because of their high discriminatory power and reproducibility: multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and microsatellite length polymorphism (MLP) using short tandem repeat (STR) markers...
- Bialek Davenet S, Criscuolo A, Ailloud F, Passet V, Jones L, Delannoy Vieillard A, et al. Genomic definition of hypervirulent and multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae clonal groups. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1812-20 pubmed publisher..A total of 694 highly conserved genes were included in a core-genome multilocus sequence typing scheme, and cluster analysis of the data enabled precise definition of globally distributed ..
- Kapatai G, Sheppard C, Troxler L, Litt D, Furrer J, Hilty M, et al. Pneumococcal 23B Molecular Subtype Identified Using Whole Genome Sequencing. Genome Biol Evol. 2017;9:2122-2135 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although the 23B1 variant appears to have no phenotypic impact and cannot be considered as novel serotype, it appears to have led to a genetic restructuring of the UK serotype 23B population...
- Park I, Kim K, Andrade A, Briles D, McDaniel L, Nahm M. Nontypeable pneumococci can be divided into multiple cps types, including one type expressing the novel gene pspK. MBio. 2012;3: pubmed publisher..e., bacteria satisfying the conventional definition but without the multilocus sequence typing [MLST]-based definition of S. pneumoniae) by the traditional criteria...
- Guernier V, Richard V, Nhan T, Rouault E, Tessier A, Musso D. Leptospira diversity in animals and humans in Tahiti, French Polynesia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005676 pubmed publisher..Thus, further investigations will be required to determine their significance in leptospirosis transmission in FP. ..
- Gawryszewska I, Å»abicka D, Hryniewicz W, Sadowy E. Linezolid-resistant enterococci in Polish hospitals: species, clonality and determinants of linezolid resistance. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;36:1279-1286 pubmed publisher..Transferability and apparent lack of a biological cost of resistance suggest that E. faecalis may be a natural reservoir of optrA, an emerging mechanism of oxazolidinone resistance. ..
- Ali H, Salem M, El Shikh M, Megeed A, Alogaibi Y, Talea I. Investigation of the Virulence Factors and Molecular Characterization of the Clonal Relations of Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii Isolates. J AOAC Int. 2017;100:152-158 pubmed publisher..baumannii clinical isolates and 22 avirulent isolates from a healthy individual were subjected to multilocus sequence typing and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for a variety of biofilm-associated genes...
- Sit P, Teh C, Idris N, Sam I, Syed Omar S, Sulaiman H, et al. Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection and the molecular characteristics of MRSA bacteraemia over a two-year period in a tertiary teaching hospital in Malaysia. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:274 pubmed publisher..cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) typing, detection of Panton-Valentine leukocidin (PVL) gene, multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE)...
- Mohamed E, Aly S, Halby H, Ahmed S, Zakaria A, El Asheer O. Epidemiological typing of multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae, which causes paediatric ventilator-associated pneumonia in Egypt. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:628-634 pubmed publisher..This study provides a step on the way to understanding the genotyping and epidemiology of MDR K. pneumoniae for enhanced prevention of bacterial transmission. ..
- Yang J, Yang S. Comparative analysis of Corynebacterium glutamicum genomes: a new perspective for the industrial production of amino acids. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:940 pubmed publisher..Our proposed pipeline can provide a clear perspective, including the presumed ancestor, the strain breeding trajectory, and the genomic variations necessary to increase amino acid production in C. glutamicum. ..
- Peters T, Bertrand S, Björkman J, Brandal L, Brown D, Erdősi T, et al. Multi-laboratory validation study of multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis (MLVA) for Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis, 2015. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..However, differences in assigned MLVA profiles remain between well-established protocols and should be taken into account when exchanging data. ..
- Pin D, Guérin Faublée V, Garreau V, Breysse F, Dumitrescu O, Flandrois J, et al. Mycobacterium species related to M. leprae and M. lepromatosis from cows with bovine nodular thelitis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2111-4 pubmed publisher..These bacteria were identified as an undescribed Mycobacterium species that was phylogenetically related to M. leprae and M. lepromatosis. ..
- Ohshima C, Takahashi H, Iwakawa A, Kuda T, Kimura B. A novel typing method for Listeria monocytogenes using high-resolution melting analysis (HRMA) of tandem repeat regions. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;253:36-42 pubmed publisher..evaluating our developed method, the ability of MLVA-HRMA, MLVA using capillary electrophoresis, and multilocus sequence typing (MLST) was compared for their ability to discriminate between strains...
- Krongdang S, Evans J, Pettis J, Chantawannakul P. Multilocus sequence typing, biochemical and antibiotic resistance characterizations reveal diversity of North American strains of the honey bee pathogen Paenibacillus larvae. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176831 pubmed publisher..origins in North America and five reference strains were investigated for genetic diversity using multilocus sequence typing (MLST)...
- Kim B, Kim G, Kim B, Jeon C, Jeong J, Lee S, et al. Description of Mycobacterium chelonae subsp. bovis subsp. nov., isolated from cattle (Bos taurus coreanae), emended description of Mycobacterium chelonae and creation of Mycobacterium chelonae subsp. chelonae subsp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3882-3887 pubmed publisher..7?% sequence similarity with that of the M. chelonae type strain. A multilocus sequence typing analysis targeting 10 housekeeping genes, including hsp65 and rpoB, revealed a phylogenetic cluster of ..
- Barroso D, Castiñeiras T, Freitas F, Marsh J, Krauland M, Tulenko M, et al. Three outbreak-causing Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C clones, Brazil(1.). Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1847-50 pubmed publisher..The isolates were assigned to 3 clonal complexes (cc): cc11, cc32, and cc103. These hyperinvasive disease lineages were associated with endemic disease, outbreaks, and high case-fatality rates. ..
- Bocanegra Ibarias P, Garza Gonzalez E, Morfin Otero R, Barrios H, Villarreal Treviño L, Rodriguez Noriega E, et al. Molecular and microbiological report of a hospital outbreak of NDM-1-carrying Enterobacteriaceae in Mexico. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179651 pubmed publisher..transfer of imipenem resistance; and clonal diversity by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) and multilocus sequence typing (MLST); as well as biofilm production and the presence of 14 virulence genes were analyzed in selected ..
- Kang S, Lee J, Kim M. The association between Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization and symptomatic infection in children in Korea where ST72 is the major genotype: A prospective observational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7838 pubmed publisher..Molecular studies including multilocus sequence typing (MLST), SCCmec typing, polymerase chain reaction amplification of the Panton-Valentine leukocidin (PVL) ..
- Wonni I, Cottyn B, Detemmerman L, Dao S, Ouedraogo L, Sarra S, et al. Analysis of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzicola population in Mali and Burkina Faso reveals a high level of genetic and pathogenic diversity. Phytopathology. 2014;104:520-31 pubmed publisher..oryzae pv. oryzicola strains. Together, our results show that African X. oryzae pv. oryzicola strains are diverse and rapidly evolving, with a group endemic to Africa and another one that may have evolved from an Asian strain. ..
- Jørgensen S, Søraas A, Arnesen L, Leegaard T, Sundsfjord A, Jenum P. A comparison of extended spectrum ?-lactamase producing Escherichia coli from clinical, recreational water and wastewater samples associated in time and location. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186576 pubmed publisher..Multidrug-resistant E. coli strains are present in urban aquatic environments even in countries where antibiotic consumption in both humans and animals is highly restricted...
- Corlouer C, Lamy B, Desroches M, Ramos Vivas J, Mehiri Zghal E, Lemenand O, et al. Stenotrophomonas maltophilia healthcare-associated infections: identification of two main pathogenic genetic backgrounds. J Hosp Infect. 2017;96:183-188 pubmed publisher..Genogrouping affiliation is recommended to implement infection control measures selectively for the most pathogenic strains isolated from patient or environmental reservoirs. ..
- Fonteneau L, Jourdan Da Silva N, Fabre L, Ashton P, Torpdahl M, Muller L, et al. Multinational outbreak of travel-related Salmonella Chester infections in Europe, summers 2014 and 2015. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..This European-wide outbreak associated with travel to Morocco was likely a multi-source outbreak with several food vehicles contaminated by multidrug-resistant S. Chester strains. ..
- Santagati M, Spanu T, Scillato M, Santangelo R, Cavallaro F, Arena V, et al. Rapidly fatal hemorrhagic pneumonia and group A Streptococcus serotype M1. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:98-101 pubmed publisher..Postmortem analysis showed that the illnesses were caused by group A Streptococcus emm1/sequence type 28 strains. ..
- Xu Y, Bai X, Jin Y, Hu B, Wang H, Sun H, et al. High Prevalence of Virulence Genes in Specific Genotypes of Atypical Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:109 pubmed publisher..The high prevalence of diarrhea-associated genes in animal or raw meat strains suggests a zoonotic transmission pathway for potentially human pathogenic aEPEC. ..
- Zhong Z, Tian Y, Song Y, Deng L, Li J, Ren Z, et al. Molecular characterization and multi-locus genotypes of Enterocytozoon bieneusi from captive red kangaroos (Macropus Rufus) in Jiangsu province, China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183249 pubmed publisher..bieneusi genotype and seven MLGs (MLG1-7) were found in red kangaroos. Our findings suggest that infected kangaroo may act as potential reservoirs of E. bieneusi and be source to transmit infections to other animal. ..
- Wang H, Huang C, Huang Y. Clinical features and molecular characteristics of childhood community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in a medical center in northern Taiwan, 2012. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:470 pubmed publisher..by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, staphylococcal cassette chromosome (SCCmec) typing, and multilocus sequence typing. A total of 409 S. aureus isolates were included, and 260 (63.6%) were MRSA...
- Bartoszewicz M, Marjańska P. Milk-originated Bacillus cereus sensu lato strains harbouring Bacillus anthracis-like plasmids are genetically and phenotypically diverse. Food Microbiol. 2017;67:23-30 pubmed publisher..A high recombination-to-mutation ratio suggested an important role for horizontal gene transfer among B. cereus sensu lato isolates in milk. ..
- Meinel D, Konrad R, Berger A, König C, Schmidt Wieland T, Hogardt M, et al. Zoonotic transmission of toxigenic Corynebacterium ulcerans strain, Germany, 2012. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:356-8 pubmed publisher..One of the patient's 2 dogs was found to harbor a toxigenic C. ulcerans strain. Results of next generation sequencing of both isolates supported recent zoonotic transmission of this bacterial pathogen. ..
- Dumke J, Vollmer T, Akkermann O, Knabbe C, Dreier J. Case-control study: Determination of potential risk factors for the colonization of healthy volunteers with Streptococcus gallolyticus subsp. gallolyticus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176515 pubmed publisher..Specifically, closer contact between participants and animals influenced the colonization of the human gut significantly and was further affected if volunteers used excrement for the fertilization of plants. ..
- Higgins P, Prior K, Harmsen D, Seifert H. Development and evaluation of a core genome multilocus typing scheme for whole-genome sequence-based typing of Acinetobacter baumannii. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179228 pubmed publisherWe have employed whole genome sequencing to define and evaluate a core genome multilocus sequence typing (cgMLST) scheme for Acinetobacter baumannii. To define a core genome we downloaded a total of 1,573 putative A...