Summary: The use of techniques that produce a functional MUTATION or an effect on GENE EXPRESSION of a specific gene of interest in order to identify the role or activity of the gene product of that gene.
- Liu J, Cattadori I, Sim D, Eden J, Holmes E, Read A, et al. Reverse Engineering Field Isolates of Myxoma Virus Demonstrates that Some Gene Disruptions or Losses of Function Do Not Explain Virulence Changes Observed in the Field. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Using reverse genetics, we examined the roles of six selected mutations found in Australian field isolates of MYXV that fall in ..
- Baillon L, Merour E, Cabon J, Louboutin L, Quenault H, Touzain F, et al. A single amino acid change in the non-structural NV protein impacts the virulence phenotype of Viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus in trout. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1181-1184 pubmed publisher..VHSV strain in which the NV R116 residue has been replaced by a serine, rVHSVNVR116S, was generated by reverse genetics and used to infect juvenile trout...
- Gilbertson B, Ng W, Crawford S, McKimm Breschkin J, Brown L. Mouse Saliva Inhibits Transit of Influenza Virus to the Lower Respiratory Tract by Efficiently Blocking Influenza Virus Neuraminidase Activity. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the viral target of the salivary inhibitor by using reverse genetics to create hybrid viruses with some surface proteins derived from an inhibitor-sensitive strain and others ..
- Dubois J, Cavanagh M, Terrier O, Hamelin M, Lina B, Shi R, et al. Mutations in the fusion protein heptad repeat domains of human metapneumovirus impact on the formation of syncytia. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1174-1180 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results support the importance of the HRA domain for an HMPV-triggered fusion mechanism and identify key residues that modulate syncytium formation. ..
- Mögling R, Richard M, Vliet S, Beek R, Schrauwen E, Spronken M, et al. Neuraminidase-mediated haemagglutination of recent human influenza A(H3N2) viruses is determined by arginine 150 flanking the neuraminidase catalytic site. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1274-1281 pubmed publisher..Continuous monitoring of the evolution of these viruses and potential consequences for vaccine strain selection remains important. ..
- Zhang W, Zhang H, Liu K, Jian G, Qi F, Si N. Large-scale identification of Gossypium hirsutum genes associated with Verticillium dahliae by comparative transcriptomic and reverse genetics analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181609 pubmed publisher..hirsutum-V. dahliae interaction and offered a number of candidate genes as potential sources for breeding wilt-tolerance in cotton. ..
- Kamal R, Blanchfield K, Belser J, Music N, Tzeng W, Holiday C, et al. Inactivated H7 Influenza Virus Vaccines Protect Mice despite Inducing Only Low Levels of Neutralizing Antibodies. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..In this study, we immunized mice with whole inactivated reverse genetics reassortant (RG) viruses expressing HA and neuraminidase (NA) from 3 different H7 viruses [A/Shanghai/2/2013(..
- Ruedas J, Ladner J, Ettinger C, Gummuluru S, Palacios G, Connor J. Spontaneous Mutation at Amino Acid 544 of the Ebola Virus Glycoprotein Potentiates Virus Entry and Selection in Tissue Culture. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanism behind this mutation can provide insight into functional differences that exist in culture conditions and among ebolavirus glycoproteins. ..
- Komoto S, Kanai Y, Fukuda S, Kugita M, Kawagishi T, Ito N, et al. Reverse Genetics System Demonstrates that Rotavirus Nonstructural Protein NSP6 Is Not Essential for Viral Replication in Cell Culture. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Here, taking advantage of a recently established plasmid-only-based reverse genetics system that allows rescue of recombinant rotaviruses entirely from cloned cDNAs, we generated NSP6-deficient ..
- Mohanty S, Donnelly B, Dupree P, Lobeck I, Mowery S, Meller J, et al. A Point Mutation in the Rhesus Rotavirus VP4 Protein Generated through a Rotavirus Reverse Genetics System Attenuates Biliary Atresia in the Murine Model. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..of the virus, we generated a recombinant virus with a single amino acid mutation at this site through a reverse genetics system...
- Han K, Alhatlani B, Cho S, Lee J, Hosmillo M, Goodfellow I, et al. Identification of amino acids within norovirus polymerase involved in RNA binding and viral replication. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1311-1315 pubmed publisher..a surrogate model system for norovirus research, due to the availability of robust cell culture systems and reverse genetics. To identify amino acids involved in RNA synthesis by the viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (NS7), we ..
- Liu H, Albina E, Gil P, Minet C, de Almeida R. Two-plasmid system to increase the rescue efficiency of paramyxoviruses by reverse genetics: The example of rescuing Newcastle Disease Virus. Virology. 2017;509:42-51 pubmed publisherWithin paramyxoviruses, conventional reverse genetics require the transfection of a minimum of four plasmids: three to reconstruct the viral polymerase complex that replicates and expresses the virus genome delivered by a fourth plasmid...
- Baratelli M, Pedersen L, Trebbien R, Larsen L, Jungersen G, Blanco E, et al. Identification of cross-reacting T-cell epitopes in structural and non-structural proteins of swine and pandemic H1N1 influenza A virus strains in pigs. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:895-899 pubmed publisher..The majority of the identified T-cell epitopes were conserved between the examined lineages, suggesting that targeting cross-reactive T-cell epitopes could be used to improve vaccines against SwIV in SLA-1*0702-positive pigs. ..