Genomes and Genes
Summary: The combination of genetic and optical methods in controlling specific events with temporal precision in targeted cells of a functioning intact biological system.
- López Hernández G, Ananth M, Jiang L, Ballinger E, Talmage D, Role L. Electrophysiological properties of basal forebrain cholinergic neurons identified by genetic and optogenetic tagging. J Neurochem. 2017;142 Suppl 2:103-110 pubmed publisher..This is an article for the special issue XVth International Symposium on Cholinergic Mechanisms. ..
- Schmitt L, Wimmer R, Nakajima M, Happ M, Mofakham S, Halassa M. Thalamic amplification of cortical connectivity sustains attentional control. Nature. 2017;545:219-223 pubmed publisher..This function, which is dissociable from categorical information relay, indicates that the thalamus has a much broader role in cognition than previously thought. ..
- Gulati T, Guo L, Ramanathan D, Bodepudi A, Ganguly K. Neural reactivations during sleep determine network credit assignment. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1277-1284 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results suggest that coordinated firing during sleep is essential for establishing sparse activation patterns that reflect the causal neuron-behavior relationship. ..
- El Shamayleh Y, Kojima Y, Soetedjo R, Horwitz G. Selective Optogenetic Control of Purkinje Cells in Monkey Cerebellum. Neuron. 2017;95:51-62.e4 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the utility of AAV-L7-ChR2 for revealing the contributions of Purkinje cells to circuit function and behavior, and they attest to the feasibility of promoter-based, targeted, genetic manipulations in primates. ..
- Ruf F, Fraunholz M, Öchsner K, Kaderschabek J, Wegener C. WEclMon - A simple and robust camera-based system to monitor Drosophila eclosion under optogenetic manipulation and natural conditions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180238 pubmed publisher..Genetic ablation of myosuppressin-expressing neurons did, however, not affect eclosion rhythmicity. ..
- García González D, Khodosevich K, Watanabe Y, Rollenhagen A, Lübke J, Monyer H. Serotonergic Projections Govern Postnatal Neuroblast Migration. Neuron. 2017;94:534-549.e9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that serotonergic modulation of postnatally generated neuroblast migration is evolutionarily conserved as indicated by the presence of serotonergic axons in migratory paths in other vertebrates. ..
- Wang W, Wildes C, Pattarabanjird T, Sánchez M, Glober G, Matthews G, et al. A light- and calcium-gated transcription factor for imaging and manipulating activated neurons. Nat Biotechnol. 2017;35:864-871 pubmed publisher..Due to its modular design, minute-scale temporal resolution, and minimal dark-state leak, FLARE should be useful for the study of activity-dependent processes in neurons and other cells that signal with calcium. ..
- Rost B, Schneider Warme F, Schmitz D, Hegemann P. Optogenetic Tools for Subcellular Applications in Neuroscience. Neuron. 2017;96:572-603 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss useful tools and targeting strategies that are currently missing from the optogenetics repertoire and provide suggestions for novel subcellular optogenetic applications.
- Hsieh J, Baraban S. Medial Ganglionic Eminence Progenitors Transplanted into Hippocampus Integrate in a Functional and Subtype-Appropriate Manner. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..Here, we combined optogenetics, interneuron-specific Cre driver mouse lines, and electrophysiology to study synaptic integration of MGE ..
- Beutler L, Chen Y, Ahn J, Lin Y, Essner R, Knight Z. Dynamics of Gut-Brain Communication Underlying Hunger. Neuron. 2017;96:461-475.e5 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal how layers of visceral signals operating on distinct timescales converge on hypothalamic feeding circuits to generate a central representation of energy balance. ..
- Guo X, Liao Z, Tao Y, Wang F, Ma L. [Optogenetic activation of dorsal hippocampal astrocytic Rac1 blocks the learning of associative memory]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2017;69:241-251 pubmed..Our data suggest that the activation of Rac1 in dorsal hippocampal astrocyte plays an important role in the associative learning. ..
- Maia Chagas A, Prieto Godino L, Arrenberg A, Baden T. The €100 lab: A 3D-printable open-source platform for fluorescence microscopy, optogenetics, and accurate temperature control during behaviour of zebrafish, Drosophila, and Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002702 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the low cost and modular nature as well as fully open design of FlyPi make it a highly versatile tool in a range of applications, including the classroom, diagnostic centres, and research labs. ..
- Guo W, Clause A, Barth Maron A, Polley D. A Corticothalamic Circuit for Dynamic Switching between Feature Detection and Discrimination. Neuron. 2017;95:180-194.e5 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that L6 CT neurons contribute to the resolution of the competing demands of detection and discrimination. ..
- Bayguinov P, Ma Y, Gao Y, Zhao X, Jackson M. Imaging Voltage in Genetically Defined Neuronal Subpopulations with a Cre Recombinase-Targeted Hybrid Voltage Sensor. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9305-9319 pubmed publisher..This imaging tool will allow for the study of the emergent properties of neural circuits and permit experimental tests of the roles of specific types of neurons in complex circuit activity. ..
- Kato H, Asinof S, Isaacson J. Network-Level Control of Frequency Tuning in Auditory Cortex. Neuron. 2017;95:412-423.e4 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal that SOM cells govern lateral inhibition and control cortical frequency tuning through the regulation of reverberating recurrent circuits. ..
- Wilson M, Ravindran P, Lim W, Toettcher J. Tracing Information Flow from Erk to Target Gene Induction Reveals Mechanisms of Dynamic and Combinatorial Control. Mol Cell. 2017;67:757-769.e5 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the Ras/Erk pathway is decoded by both dynamic filters and logic gates to shape target gene responses in a context-specific manner. ..
- Nectow A, Schneeberger M, Zhang H, Field B, Renier N, Azevedo E, et al. Identification of a Brainstem Circuit Controlling Feeding. Cell. 2017;170:429-442.e11 pubmed publisher..These data establish the DRN as an important node controlling energy balance. PAPERCLIP. ..
- Ronzitti E, Conti R, Zampini V, Tanese D, Foust A, Klapoetke N, et al. Submillisecond Optogenetic Control of Neuronal Firing with Two-Photon Holographic Photoactivation of Chronos. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10679-10689 pubmed publisher..This system achieves a unique combination of spatial flexibility and temporal precision needed to pattern optogenetically inputs that mimic natural neuronal network activity patterns. ..
- English D, McKenzie S, Evans T, Kim K, Yoon E, Buzsaki G. Pyramidal Cell-Interneuron Circuit Architecture and Dynamics in Hippocampal Networks. Neuron. 2017;96:505-520.e7 pubmed publisher..Additionally, spike transmission was strongly modulated by prior spike timing of the postsynaptic cell. These results bridge anatomical structure with physiological function. ..
- Roy D, Kitamura T, Okuyama T, Ogawa S, Sun C, Obata Y, et al. Distinct Neural Circuits for the Formation and Retrieval of Episodic Memories. Cell. 2017;170:1000-1012.e19 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the subiculum-containing detour loop is dedicated to meet the requirements associated with recall such as rapid memory updating and retrieval-driven instinctive fear responses. ..
- Shemesh O, Tanese D, Zampini V, Linghu C, Piatkevich K, Ronzitti E, et al. Temporally precise single-cell-resolution optogenetics. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1796-1806 pubmed publisher..We used soCoChR to perform connectivity mapping on intact cortical circuits. ..
- Correia P, Lottem E, Banerjee D, Machado A, Carey M, Mainen Z. Transient inhibition and long-term facilitation of locomotion by phasic optogenetic activation of serotonin neurons. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These results show that 5-HT transients have strong and opposing short and long-term effects on motor behavior that appear to arise from effects on the underlying factors that motivate actions. ..
- Molas S, Zhao Shea R, Liu L, DeGroot S, Gardner P, Tapper A. A circuit-based mechanism underlying familiarity signaling and the preference for novelty. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1260-1268 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that familiarity signals through unique IPN circuitry that opposes novelty seeking to control NP. ..
- Guglielmi G, Barry J, Huber W, de Renzis S. An Optogenetic Method to Modulate Cell Contractility during Tissue Morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2015;35:646-660 pubmed publisher..Together, these results show the efficacy of this optogenetic approach to dissect the interplay between cell-cell interaction, force transmission, and tissue geometry during complex morphogenetic processes. ..
- Park H, Kim N, Lee S, Kim N, Kim J, Heo W. Optogenetic protein clustering through fluorescent protein tagging and extension of CRY2. Nat Commun. 2017;8:30 pubmed publisher..Here the authors identify determinants of CRY2 clustering and engineer fusion partners to modulate clustering efficiency. ..
- Zhang H, Aonbangkhen C, Tarasovetc E, Ballister E, Chenoweth D, Lampson M. Optogenetic control of kinetochore function. Nat Chem Biol. 2017;13:1096-1101 pubmed publisher..This work establishes a foundation for optogenetic control of kinetochore function, which is broadly applicable to experimental probing of other dynamic cellular processes. ..
- Nihongaki Y, Furuhata Y, Otabe T, Hasegawa S, Yoshimoto K, Sato M. CRISPR-Cas9-based photoactivatable transcription systems to induce neuronal differentiation. Nat Methods. 2017;14:963-966 pubmed publisher..We achieved reversible activation of target genes with CPTS2.0 and induced neuronal differentiation in induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) by upregulating NEUROD1 with Split-CPTS2.0. ..
- Pisanello F, Mandelbaum G, Pisanello M, Oldenburg I, Sileo L, Markowitz J, et al. Dynamic illumination of spatially restricted or large brain volumes via a single tapered optical fiber. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1180-1188 pubmed publisherb>Optogenetics promises precise spatiotemporal control of neural processes using light. However, the spatial extent of illumination within the brain is difficult to control and cannot be adjusted using standard fiber optics...
- Hu C, Petersen M, Hoyer N, Spitzweck B, Tenedini F, Wang D, et al. Sensory integration and neuromodulatory feedback facilitate Drosophila mechanonociceptive behavior. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1085-1095 pubmed publisher..By combining trans-synaptic labeling, ultrastructural analysis, calcium imaging, optogenetics and behavioral analyses, we uncovered a circuit specific for mechanonociception but not thermonociception...
- Galvan A, Stauffer W, Acker L, El Shamayleh Y, Inoue K, Ohayon S, et al. Nonhuman Primate Optogenetics: Recent Advances and Future Directions. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10894-10903 pubmed publisherb>Optogenetics is the use of genetically coded, light-gated ion channels or pumps (opsins) for millisecond resolution control of neural activity...
- Wiegert J, Mahn M, Prigge M, Printz Y, Yizhar O. Silencing Neurons: Tools, Applications, and Experimental Constraints. Neuron. 2017;95:504-529 pubmed publisher..We further discuss the considerations that need to be given to experimental design, analysis, and interpretation of collected data. Finally, we discuss future directions for the development of new silencing approaches in neuroscience. ..
- Miri A, Warriner C, Seely J, Elsayed G, Cunningham J, Churchland M, et al. Behaviorally Selective Engagement of Short-Latency Effector Pathways by Motor Cortex. Neuron. 2017;95:683-696.e11 pubmed publisher..The model of motor cortical influence implied by our findings helps reconcile previous observations on the function of motor cortex. ..
- Ryan P, Ross S, Campos C, Derkach V, Palmiter R. Oxytocin-receptor-expressing neurons in the parabrachial nucleus regulate fluid intake. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1722-1733 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OxtrPBN neurons act as a key node in the fluid satiation neurocircuitry, which acts to decrease water and/or saline intake to prevent or attenuate hypervolemia and hypernatremia. ..
- Graziano B, Gong D, Anderson K, Pipathsouk A, Goldberg A, Weiner O. A module for Rac temporal signal integration revealed with optogenetics. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2515-2531 pubmed publisher..This circuit is masked by feedback and redundancy when chemoattractant is used as the input, highlighting the value of probing signaling networks at intermediate nodes to deconvolve complex signaling cascades. ..
- Shields B, Kahuno E, Kim C, Apostolides P, Brown J, Lindo S, et al. Deconstructing behavioral neuropharmacology with cellular specificity. Science. 2017;356: pubmed publisher..Finally, we designed a muscarinic antagonist DART in one iteration, demonstrating applicability of the method to diverse targets. ..
- Warlow S, Robinson M, Berridge K. Optogenetic Central Amygdala Stimulation Intensifies and Narrows Motivation for Cocaine. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8330-8348 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CeA laser pairing makes its associated cocaine option and cues become powerfully attractive in a nearly addictive fashion. ..
- Severson K, Xu D, Van de Loo M, Bai L, Ginty D, O Connor D. Active Touch and Self-Motion Encoding by Merkel Cell-Associated Afferents. Neuron. 2017;94:666-676.e9 pubmed publisher..Thus, Merkel afferents send to the brain multiplexed information about whisker position and surface features, suggesting that proprioception and touch converge at the earliest neural level. ..
- Chimerel C, Riccio C, Murison K, Gribble F, Reimann F. Optogenetic Analysis of Depolarization-Dependent Glucagonlike Peptide-1 Release. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3426-3434 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cAMP elevation or cumulative membrane depolarization triggered by SSFO enhances the efficiency of light-triggered action potential firing, voltage-gated calcium entry, and GLP-1 secretion. ..
- Bashtrykov P, Jeltsch A. Epigenome Editing in the Brain. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;978:409-424 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we discuss allele-specific epigenome editing as novel therapeutic approach for imprinting disorders, Huntington's disease and Rett syndrome. ..
- Yang Q, Song D, Qing H. Neural changes in Alzheimer's disease from circuit to molecule: Perspective of optogenetics. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;79:110-118 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, using optogenetics to stimulate neurons can rescue learning and memory loss caused by AD...
- Klavir O, Prigge M, Sarel A, Paz R, Yizhar O. Manipulating fear associations via optogenetic modulation of amygdala inputs to prefrontal cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:836-844 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate the contribution of BLA inputs to mPFC in forming and maintaining cued fear associations. ..
- Feola I, Volkers L, Majumder R, Teplenin A, Schalij M, Panfilov A, et al. Localized Optogenetic Targeting of Rotors in Atrial Cardiomyocyte Monolayers. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..We took a unique optogenetic approach to induce and locally target a rotor in atrial monolayers...
- Dal Maschio M, Donovan J, Helmbrecht T, Baier H. Linking Neurons to Network Function and Behavior by Two-Photon Holographic Optogenetics and Volumetric Imaging. Neuron. 2017;94:774-789.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, this toolkit enables linking behavior to circuit activity with unprecedented resolution. ..
- Repina N, ROSENBLOOM A, Mukherjee A, Schaffer D, Kane R. At Light Speed: Advances in Optogenetic Systems for Regulating Cell Signaling and Behavior. Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng. 2017;8:13-39 pubmed publisher..This fundamental question is increasingly being addressed with optogenetics, a field focused on engineering and harnessing light-sensitive proteins to interface with cellular signaling ..
- Driscoll L, Pettit N, Minderer M, Chettih S, Harvey C. Dynamic Reorganization of Neuronal Activity Patterns in Parietal Cortex. Cell. 2017;170:986-999.e16 pubmed publisher..We propose that dynamic neuronal activity patterns could balance plasticity for learning and stability for memory. ..
- Ono M, Bishop D, Oliver D. Identified GABAergic and Glutamatergic Neurons in the Mouse Inferior Colliculus Share Similar Response Properties. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8952-8964 pubmed publisher..Within each local circuit, the inputs to the local circuit may have a greater influence in determining the response properties to sound than the specific neuron types. ..
- Petersen C. Whole-Cell Recording of Neuronal Membrane Potential during Behavior. Neuron. 2017;95:1266-1281 pubmed publisher..Whole-cell recordings therefore offer unique opportunities for investigating the neuronal circuits and synaptic mechanisms driving membrane potential dynamics during behavior. ..
- Tan L, Pelzer P, Heinl C, Tang W, Gangadharan V, Flor H, et al. A pathway from midcingulate cortex to posterior insula gates nociceptive hypersensitivity. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1591-1601 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for our understanding of neuronal mechanisms facilitating the transition from acute to long-lasting pain. ..
- Kamps D, Dehmelt L. Deblurring Signal Network Dynamics. ACS Chem Biol. 2017;12:2231-2239 pubmed publisher..Hybrid strategies based on optogenetics, surface patterning, chemical tools, and protein design can overcome those limitations and thereby sharpen our ..
- Takano T, Wu M, Nakamuta S, Naoki H, Ishizawa N, Namba T, et al. Discovery of long-range inhibitory signaling to ensure single axon formation. Nat Commun. 2017;8:33 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors offer in vivo evidence from a Drosophila model that supports a role for gut microbiota in modulating the progression of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Allen W, Kauvar I, Chen M, Richman E, Yang S, Chan K, et al. Global Representations of Goal-Directed Behavior in Distinct Cell Types of Mouse Neocortex. Neuron. 2017;94:891-907.e6 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal cell-type-specific processes in cortex for globally representing goal-directed behavior and identify aÂ major cortical node that gates the global broadcast of task-related information. ..
- Gutman A, Nett K, Cosme C, Worth W, Gupta S, Wemmie J, et al. Extinction of Cocaine Seeking Requires a Window of Infralimbic Pyramidal Neuron Activity after Unreinforced Lever Presses. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6075-6086 pubmed publisher..To address this issue, we used activity-guided optogenetics in male Sprague Dawley rats to silence IL pyramidal neurons optically for 20 s immediately after unreinforced ..
- von Reyn C, Nern A, Williamson W, Breads P, Wu M, Namiki S, et al. Feature Integration Drives Probabilistic Behavior in the Drosophila Escape Response. Neuron. 2017;94:1190-1204.e6 pubmed publisher..video abstract. ..
- Lee D, Hyun J, Jung K, Hannan P, Kwon H. A calcium- and light-gated switch to induce gene expression in activated neurons. Nat Biotechnol. 2017;35:858-863 pubmed publisherDespite recent advances in optogenetics, it remains challenging to manipulate gene expression in specific populations of neurons...
- Murakoshi H, Shin M, Parra Bueno P, Szatmari E, Shibata A, Yasuda R. Kinetics of Endogenous CaMKII Required for Synaptic Plasticity Revealed by Optogenetic Kinase Inhibitor. Neuron. 2017;94:37-47.e5 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrated that paAIP2 is useful to elucidate the temporal window of CaMKII activation required for synaptic plasticity and learning. ..
- Dejean C, Courtin J, Karalis N, Chaudun F, Wurtz H, Bienvenu T, et al. Prefrontal neuronal assemblies temporally control fear behaviour. Nature. 2016;535:420-4 pubmed..These results identify a novel phase-specific coding mechanism, which dynamically regulates the development of dmPFC assemblies to control the precise timing of fear responses. ..
- Latchoumane C, Ngo H, Born J, Shin H. Thalamic Spindles Promote Memory Formation during Sleep through Triple Phase-Locking of Cortical, Thalamic, and Hippocampal Rhythms. Neuron. 2017;95:424-435.e6 pubmed publisher..Combining optogenetics with a closed-loop stimulation approach in mice, we show here that only thalamic spindles induced in-phase with ..
- Pimentel D, Donlea J, Talbot C, Song S, Thurston A, Miesenbock G. Operation of a homeostatic sleep switch. Nature. 2016;536:333-337 pubmed publisher..Biophysical changes in a small population of neurons are thus linked to the control of sleep-wake state. ..