Genomes and Genes
artificial gene fusion
Summary: The in vitro fusion of GENES by RECOMBINANT DNA techniques to analyze protein behavior or GENE EXPRESSION REGULATION, or to merge protein functions for specific medical or industrial uses.
- Eckart R, Brantl S, Licht A. Search for additional targets of the transcriptional regulator CcpN from Bacillus subtilis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2009;299:223-31 pubmed publisher..Our data show that a bioinformatics-based approach combined with in vivo and in vitro experiments can be used to identify new targets of transcriptional regulators. ..
- Vos M, Kampinga H. A PCR amplification strategy for unrestricted generation of chimeric genes. Anal Biochem. 2008;380:338-40 pubmed publisher..We have developed a cloning strategy to get around these disadvantages that is based on a single round of PCR amplification followed by antibiotic-resistant gene complementation. ..
- Fischer S, Engstler C, Procopio S, Becker T. Induced gene expression in industrial Saccharomyces pastorianus var. carlsbergensis TUM 34/70: evaluation of temperature and ethanol inducible native promoters. FEMS Yeast Res. 2016;16: pubmed publisher..Taken together, the data show that three promoters (PHSP104, PUBI4 and PSSA3) have high potential for targeted gene expression in self-cloning brewing yeast using temperature shifts. ..
- Abend J, Ramalingam D, Kieffer Kwon P, Uldrick T, Yarchoan R, Ziegelbauer J. Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus microRNAs target IRAK1 and MYD88, two components of the toll-like receptor/interleukin-1R signaling cascade, to reduce inflammatory-cytokine expression. J Virol. 2012;86:11663-74 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate KSHV-encoded miRNAs regulating the TLR/IL-1R signaling cascade at two distinct points and suggest the importance of these pathways during viral infection. ..
- Tao H, Peng Z, Li P, Yu T, Su J. Optimizing cadmium and mercury specificity of CadR-based E. coli biosensors by redesign of CadR. Biotechnol Lett. 2013;35:1253-8 pubmed publisher..Improved performances of CadR mutants based E. coli biosensors indicated that truncating C-terminal extension of CadR could improve the specificity. ..
- Nishimura T, Teramoto H, Toyoda K, Inui M, Yukawa H. Regulation of the nitrate reductase operon narKGHJI by the cAMP-dependent regulator GlxR in Corynebacterium glutamicum. Microbiology. 2011;157:21-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that C. glutamicum GlxR positively regulates narKGHJI expression in a cAMP-dependent manner. ..
- Anderson White B, Ivey F, Cheng K, Szatanek T, Lorestani A, Beckers C, et al. A family of intermediate filament-like proteins is sequentially assembled into the cytoskeleton of Toxoplasma gondii. Cell Microbiol. 2011;13:18-31 pubmed publisher..Furthermore we identified IMC15 as an early marker of budding and, lastly, the dynamic patterns observed throughout cytokinesis provide a timeline for daughter parasite development and division. ..
- Ping L, Weiner B, Kleckner N. Tsr-GFP accumulates linearly with time at cell poles, and can be used to differentiate 'old' versus 'new' poles, in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:1427-38 pubmed publisher..The absolute level of Tsr-GFP at the old pole of a cell also provides a rough estimate of pole (and thus cell) age. ..
- Harry K, Zhou R, Kroos L, Melville S. Sporulation and enterotoxin (CPE) synthesis are controlled by the sporulation-specific sigma factors SigE and SigK in Clostridium perfringens. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:2728-42 pubmed publisher..The results presented here show that the regulation of developmental events in the mother cell compartment of C. perfringens is not the same as that in B. subtilis and Clostridium acetobutylicum. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang L, Fang N, Qu S, Tan Y, Guo Z, et al. Reciprocal regulation of pH 6 antigen gene loci by PhoP and RovA in Yersinia pestis biovar Microtus. Future Microbiol. 2013;8:271-80 pubmed publisher..The reciprocal regulation of psa genes by PhoP and RovA could contribute to the tightly controlled expression of the pH 6 antigen during infection. ..
- Pöyry T, Jackson R. Mechanisms governing the selection of translation initiation sites on foot-and-mouth disease virus RNA. J Virol. 2011;85:10178-88 pubmed publisher..Initiation at the Lb site is by ribosomes that access it by linear scanning from the original entry site, and not by an independent entry process. ..
- Welsch N, Homuth G, Schweder T. Suitability of different ?-galactosidases as reporter enzymes in Bacillus subtilis. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;93:381-92 pubmed publisher..coli whereas the enzymes from the thermophilic and psychrophilic bacteria revealed a more restricted usability in terms of cultivation temperature. ..
- Anetzberger C, Schell U, Jung K. Single cell analysis of Vibrio harveyi uncovers functional heterogeneity in response to quorum sensing signals. BMC Microbiol. 2012;12:209 pubmed publisher..harveyi population has already indicated intercellular heterogeneity in the production of bioluminescence. This study was undertaken to analyze the expression of various autoinducer-dependent genes in individual cells...
- Prigent Combaret C, Zghidi Abouzid O, Effantin G, Lejeune P, Reverchon S, Nasser W. The nucleoid-associated protein Fis directly modulates the synthesis of cellulose, an essential component of pellicle-biofilms in the phytopathogenic bacterium Dickeya dadantii. Mol Microbiol. 2012;86:172-86 pubmed publisher..This report also presents a new example of how bacteria can modulate the action of a global regulator to co-ordinate basic metabolism, virulence and modifications of lifestyle. ..
- Guillemet M, Moreau P. Fur-dependent detoxification of organic acids by rpoS mutants during prolonged incubation under aerobic, phosphate starvation conditions. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:5567-75 pubmed publisher..These data may help explain the fact that a high frequency of E. coli rpoS mutants is found in nature. ..
- Mittal M, Pechter K, Picossi S, Kim H, Kerstein K, Sonenshein A. Dual role of CcpC protein in regulation of aconitase gene expression in Listeria monocytogenes and Bacillus subtilis. Microbiology. 2013;159:68-76 pubmed publisher..We propose a revision of the existing CcpC-citB regulatory scheme and suggest a mechanism of regulation in which CcpC represses citB expression at low citrate levels and activates citB expression when citrate levels are high. ..
- Martínez F, Cosme R, Tang Q. Murine cytomegalovirus major immediate-early protein 3 interacts with cellular and viral proteins in viral DNA replication compartments and is important for early gene activation. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:2664-76 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that IE3 acts as a key protein for viral DNA replication by establishing pre-replication domains via recruitment of the required viral and cellular proteins, and by reducing host defences. ..
- Nam H, Hahn H, Nam K, Choi W, Jeong Y, Kim D, et al. Evaluation of generations 2, 3 and 4 arginine modified PAMAM dendrimers for gene delivery. Int J Pharm. 2008;363:199-205 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that biodegradable and non-toxic e-PAM-R may be useful carriers for the gene including plasmid DNA, antisense ODNs and si-RNA. ..
- Humann J, Schroeder B, Mortimer M, House B, Yurgel S, Maloney S, et al. Construction and expression of sugar kinase transcriptional gene fusions by using the Sinorhizobium meliloti ORFeome. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:6756-65 pubmed publisher..Six ORFs integrated into SM1021 and SM8530 had different basal levels of expression in the two strains. The annotated activities of three other sugar kinases were also confirmed. ..
- Alam A, Tam V, Hamilton E, Dziejman M. vttRA and vttRB Encode ToxR family proteins that mediate bile-induced expression of type three secretion system genes in a non-O1/non-O139 Vibrio cholerae strain. Infect Immun. 2010;78:2554-70 pubmed publisher..The collective results are consistent with the hypothesis that T3SS-encoded regulatory proteins are essential for pathogenesis and control the expression of selected T3SS genes...
- Matsunaga J, SCHLAX P, Haake D. Role for cis-acting RNA sequences in the temperature-dependent expression of the multiadhesive lig proteins in Leptospira interrogans. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:5092-101 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that ligA and ligB expression is limited by double-stranded RNA that occludes the ribosome-binding site. At elevated temperatures, the ribosome-binding site is exposed to promote translation initiation. ..
- Woodnutt G, Violand B, North M. Advances in protein therapeutics. Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel. 2008;11:754-61 pubmed..This review also examines the progress of these molecules in the clinic and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of these approaches over traditional methods. ..
- Araki N, Niikura Y, Miyauchi K, Kasai D, Masai E, Fukuda M. Glucose-mediated transcriptional repression of PCB/biphenyl catabolic genes in Rhodococcus jostii RHA1. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2011;20:53-62 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that BPH utilization in RHA1 is under the control of carbon catabolite repression at the transcriptional level in addition to BphST-dependent transcriptional regulation. ..
- Muraki M, Honda S. Efficient production of human Fas receptor extracellular domain-human IgG1 heavy chain Fc domain fusion protein using baculovirus/silkworm expression system. Protein Expr Purif. 2010;73:209-16 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated that the baculovirus/silkworm expression system provided the means for efficient production of highly pure hFasRECD-Fc with functional activity. ..
- Perez J, Garcia Sastre A, Manicassamy B. Insertion of a GFP reporter gene in influenza virus. Curr Protoc Microbiol. 2013;Chapter 15:Unit 15G.4 pubmed publisher..The generated NS1-GFP IAV can subsequently be used to visualize infected cells, both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Okinaga T, Niu G, Xie Z, Qi F, Merritt J. The hdrRM operon of Streptococcus mutans encodes a novel regulatory system for coordinated competence development and bacteriocin production. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:1844-52 pubmed publisher..Using a mutacin IV-luciferase reporter, we also demonstrated that the hdrRM system utilizes the same promoter elements recognized by ComE and thus appears to comprise a novel regulatory pathway parallel to ComCDE...
- Yamamoto N, Takase Yoden S. Analysis of cis-regulatory elements in the 5' untranslated region of murine leukemia virus controlling protein expression. Microbiol Immunol. 2009;53:140-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it is suggested that the region containing R, U5, and the 5' leader sequence influences transcriptional or post-transcriptional steps, depending on the upstream sequence containing enhancer elements and promoter. ..
- Pahirulzaman K, Williams K, Lazarus C. A toolkit for heterologous expression of metabolic pathways in Aspergillus oryzae. Methods Enzymol. 2012;517:241-60 pubmed publisher..oryzae with up to 12 genes. ..
- Yim S, An S, Kang M, Lee J, Jeong K. Isolation of fully synthetic promoters for high-level gene expression in Corynebacterium glutamicum. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2013;110:2959-69 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of synthetic promoters constructed in C. glutamicum, and our screening strategy together with the use of synthetic promoters of various strengths will contribute to the future engineering of C. glutamicum. ..
- Pu S, Wu R, Yang C, Jao T, Tsai M, Wang J, et al. Successful propagation of flavivirus infectious cDNAs by a novel method to reduce the cryptic bacterial promoter activity of virus genomes. J Virol. 2011;85:2927-41 pubmed publisher..This novel strategy of constructing DENV2 and JEV infectious clones could be applied to other flaviviruses or pathogenic RNA viruses to facilitate research in virology, viral pathogenesis, and vaccine development. ..
- Linke K, Periasamy N, Ehrmann M, Winter R, Vogel R. Influence of high pressure on the dimerization of ToxR, a protein involved in bacterial signal transduction. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:7821-3 pubmed publisher..Dimerization ceased at 20 to 50 MPa depending on the nature of the transmembrane segments rather than on changes in the ToxR lipid bilayer environment. ..
- Duarte P, Memelink J, Sottomayor M. Fusion with fluorescent proteins for subcellular localization of enzymes involved in plant alkaloid biosynthesis. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;643:275-90 pubmed publisher..This chapter describes the application of this methodology to an enzyme involved in indole alkaloid biosynthesis, with general considerations on the development of the approach. ..
- Meng P, Dong Q, Tan G, Wen W, Wang H, Zhang G, et al. Anti-tumor effects of a recombinant anti-prostate specific membrane antigen immunotoxin against prostate cancer cells. BMC Urol. 2017;17:14 pubmed publisher..A novel fusion gene, immunocasp-3, may represent a viable approach to treating PSMA-positive prostate cancer. ..
- Huang Y, Ferrières L, Clarke D. Comparative functional analysis of the RcsC sensor kinase from different Enterobacteriaceae. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2009;293:248-54 pubmed publisher..However, we also show that RcsC from Y. pestis was unable to restore normal biofilm formation in the E. coli K-12 rcsC mutant and we argue that this is due to the increased net kinase activity observed with this homologue. ..
- Vieira N, Casal M, Johansson B, MacCallum D, Brown A, Paiva S. Functional specialization and differential regulation of short-chain carboxylic acid transporters in the pathogen Candida albicans. Mol Microbiol. 2010;75:1337-54 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Jen1 and Jen2 are expressed in glucose-poor niches within the host, and that these short-chain carboxylic acid transporters may be important in the early stages of infection. ..
- Raiol T, de Amorim R, Galante P, Martins C, Villa L, Sichero L. HPV-58 molecular variants exhibit different transcriptional activity. Intervirology. 2011;54:146-50 pubmed publisher..The introduction of the Bsb-295 7788 mutation into the HPV-58 prototype resulted in the enhancement of transcription closer to Bsb-295 and HPV-18. These results could impact the expression of E6 and E7 viral oncogenes. ..
- Jiao H, Du L, Hao Y, Cheng Y, Luo J, Kuang W, et al. Effective inhibition of mRNA accumulation and protein expression of H5N1 avian influenza virus NS1 gene in vitro by small interfering RNAs. Folia Microbiol (Praha). 2013;58:335-42 pubmed publisher..These findings provide useful information for the development of RNAi-based prophylaxis and therapy for AIV infection. ..
- Feng J, Bhadauria V, Liu G, Selvaraj G, Hughes G, Wei Y. Analysis of the promoter region of the gene LIP1 encoding triglyceride lipase from Fusarium graminearum. Microbiol Res. 2011;166:618-28 pubmed publisher..A CCAAT box, a CreA binding site, and a fatty acid responsive element (FARE) were identified and confirmed to be required for the basal expression of LIP1, glucose suppression and fatty acid induction, respectively. ..
- Mastropaolo M, Silby M, Nicoll J, Levy S. Novel genes involved in Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1 motility and biofilm formation. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:4318-29 pubmed publisher..Our data revealed an additional level of complexity in the control of flagellum function beyond the core genes known to be required and may yield insights into processes important for environmental persistence of P. fluorescens Pf0-1...
- Krügel H, Licht A, Biedermann G, Petzold A, Lassak J, Hupfer Y, et al. Cervimycin C resistance in Bacillus subtilis is due to a promoter up-mutation and increased mRNA stability of the constitutive ABC-transporter gene bmrA. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2010;313:155-63 pubmed publisher..Half-life measurements demonstrated that the +6 mutation stabilized bmrA mRNA ? 2-fold. Overall, we found that an ABC transporter confers antibiotic resistance by the cumulative effects of two mutations in the promoter region...
- Martínez C, Topal E, Giulietti A, Talou J, Mason H. Exploring different strategies to express Dengue virus envelope protein in a plant system. Biotechnol Lett. 2010;32:867-75 pubmed publisher..The recombinant proteins were produced in Nicotiana benthamiana plants and were reactive with the anti-E antibody. The fusion was reactive with both anti-E and anti-HBcore antibodies. ..
- Tian X, Dong G, Liu T, Gomez Z, Wahl A, Hols P, et al. MecA protein acts as a negative regulator of genetic competence in Streptococcus mutans. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:5196-206 pubmed publisher..mutans. Together, our data support the notion that MecA mediates the formation of a ternary SigX-MecA-ClpC complex that sequesters SigX and thereby negatively regulates genetic competence in S. mutans. ..
- Logg K, Bodvard K, Blomberg A, Käll M. Investigations on light-induced stress in fluorescence microscopy using nuclear localization of the transcription factor Msn2p as a reporter. FEMS Yeast Res. 2009;9:875-84 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, no correlation was found between the degree of stress and the absolute fluorescence signal, indicating that light-induced cellular stress in the studied system is not specifically related to GFP excitation. ..
- Yin G, Liu X, Zou J, Huang X, Suo X. Co-expression of reporter genes in the widespread pathogen Eimeria tenella using a double-cassette expression vector strategy. Int J Parasitol. 2011;41:813-6 pubmed publisher..The feasibility of co-expression of exogenous proteins in E. tenella is important for the development of transgenic E. tenella as a novel vaccine vector. ..
- Yan H, Zhou Y, Liu Y, Deng Y, Chen X. miR-252 of the Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus regulates dengue virus replication by suppressing the expression of the dengue virus envelope protein. J Med Virol. 2014;86:1428-36 pubmed..The present results indicated that the miR-252 of Ae. albopictus could regulate the gene expression of DENV-2 E protein and may act asa cellular antiviral regulator in Ae. albopictus. ..
- Noguchi C, Watanabe D, Zhou Y, Akao T, Shimoi H. Association of constitutive hyperphosphorylation of Hsf1p with a defective ethanol stress response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae sake yeast strains. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:385-92 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate that hyperphosphorylation of Hsf1p caused by loss of the PPT1 gene at least partly accounts for the defective stress response and high ethanol productivity of modern sake yeast strains. ..