Genomes and Genes
gene knockout techniques
Summary: Techniques to alter a gene sequence that result in an inactivated gene, or one in which the expression can be inactivated at a chosen time during development to study the loss of function of a gene.
Publications107 found, 100 shown here
- Zhang J, Yan H, Lou M. Does oxidative stress play any role in diabetic cataract formation? ----Re-evaluation using a thioltransferase gene knockout mouse model. Exp Eye Res. 2017;161:36-42 pubmed publisher..However, these changes were only marginally higher in the TTase KO mouse than that of the WT control, suggesting that TTase deletion may only play a minor role in the early stage of hyperglycemia-induced cataract formation in the mice. ..
- Kiessling S, Ucar A, Chowdhury K, Oster H, Eichele G. Genetic background-dependent effects of murine micro RNAs on circadian clock function. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176547 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal a strain and light regimen-specific function of miR-132/212 in the circadian clock machinery suggesting that miR-132 and miR-212 act as background-dependent circadian rhythm modulators. ..
- Malek R, Gajula R, Williams R, Nghiem B, Simons B, Nugent K, et al. TWIST1-WDR5-Hottip Regulates Hoxa9 Chromatin to Facilitate Prostate Cancer Metastasis. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3181-3193 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight a TWIST1-HOXA9 embryonic prostate developmental program that is reactivated during prostate cancer metastasis and is therapeutically targetable. Cancer Res; 77(12); 3181-93. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Huang J, Li K, Cai W, Liu X, Zhang Y, Orkin S, et al. Dissecting super-enhancer hierarchy based on chromatin interactions. Nat Commun. 2018;9:943 pubmed publisher..Genetic ablation of hub enhancers results in profound defects in gene activation and local chromatin landscape. As such, hub enhancers are the major constituents responsible for SE functional and structural organization. ..
- Pinto R, Hansen L, Hintze J, Almeida R, Larsen S, Coskun M, et al. Precise integration of inducible transcriptional elements (PrIITE) enables absolute control of gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:e123 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a strategy for characterization of dose-dependent effector functions of essential genes that require absence of endogenous gene expression. ..
- Ajjawi I, Verruto J, Aqui M, Soriaga L, Coppersmith J, Kwok K, et al. Lipid production in Nannochloropsis gaditana is doubled by decreasing expression of a single transcriptional regulator. Nat Biotechnol. 2017;35:647-652 pubmed publisher..0 g m-2 d-1) as that in the wild type (?2.5 g m-2 d-1) under semicontinuous growth conditions and had little effect on growth. ..
- Peshti V, Obolensky A, Nahum L, Kanfi Y, Rathaus M, Avraham M, et al. Characterization of physiological defects in adult SIRT6-/- mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176371 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate a role for SIRT6 in metabolism and age-related ocular changes in adult mice and suggest a gender specific regulation of lifespan by SIRT6. ..
- Kawarada L, Suzuki T, Ohira T, Hirata S, Miyauchi K, Suzuki T. ALKBH1 is an RNA dioxygenase responsible for cytoplasmic and mitochondrial tRNA modifications. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:7401-7415 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we conclude that nuclear and mitochondrial ALKBH1 play distinct roles in tRNA modification. ..
- PÃ©rez Varela M, Corral J, Vallejo J, Rumbo Feal S, Bou G, Aranda J, et al. Mutations in the Î²-Subunit of the RNA Polymerase Impair the Surface-Associated Motility and Virulence of Acinetobacter baumannii. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..baumannii ATCC 17978 strain, as well as in the virulent clinical isolate MAR002. Taken together, our results provide strong evidence of the connection between motility and virulence in this multiresistant nosocomial pathogen. ..
- Postler T, Pantry S, Desrosiers R, Ghosh S. Identification and characterization of a long non-coding RNA up-regulated during HIV-1 infection. Virology. 2017;511:30-39 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that lnc173 may have a role in the regulation of cytokines in T cells. ..
- Stallaert W, Van der Westhuizen E, SchÃ¶negge A, Plouffe B, Hogue M, Lukashova V, et al. Purinergic Receptor Transactivation by the Î²2-Adrenergic Receptor Increases Intracellular Ca2+ in Nonexcitable Cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:533-544 pubmed publisher..In addition, this study reports the generation and validation of HEK293 cells deleted of Gs using the CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing technology that will undoubtedly be powerful tools to study Gs-dependent signaling. ..
- Bieri R, Scherr N, Ruf M, Dangy J, Gersbach P, Gehringer M, et al. The Macrolide Toxin Mycolactone Promotes Bim-Dependent Apoptosis in Buruli Ulcer through Inhibition of mTOR. ACS Chem Biol. 2017;12:1297-1307 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a new coherent and comprehensive concept of BU pathogenesis. ..
- Wilcox S, Arora H, Munro L, Xin J, Fenninger F, Johnson L, et al. The role of the innate immune response regulatory gene ABCF1 in mammalian embryogenesis and development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175918 pubmed publisher..Overall, Abcf1 expression in embryos is required for development and its expression in adults was highly correlated with actively proliferating and differentiating cell types. ..
- Li L, Wang Y. Cross-talk between the H3K36me3 and H4K16ac histone epigenetic marks in DNA double-strand break repair. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11951-11959 pubmed publisher..In this study, we unveiled cross-talk between two important histone epigenetic marks and defined the function of this cross-talk in DNA DSB repair. ..
- MÃ©szÃ¡ros I, TÃ³th R, Olasz F, Tijssen P, ZÃ¡dori Z. The SAT Protein of Porcine Parvovirus Accelerates Viral Spreading through Induction of Irreversible Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..The beneficial effect of irreversible ER stress on PPV spread was confirmed by treatment of infected cells with ER stress-inducing chemicals. ..
- Kostyak J, Liverani E, Kunapuli S. PKC-epsilon deficiency alters progenitor cell populations in favor of megakaryopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182867 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PKC? is a negative regulator of megakaryopoiesis. ..
- Scahill C, Digby Z, Sealy I, Wojciechowska S, White R, Collins J, et al. Loss of the chromatin modifier Kdm2aa causes BrafV600E-independent spontaneous melanoma in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006959 pubmed publisher..Together our data reveal a complex role for Kdm2aa in regulating normal mRNA levels and carcinogenesis. These findings establish kdm2aa mutants as the first single gene knockout model of melanoma biology. ..
- Battaglia M, Martín M, Lechner L, Martínez Noël G, Salerno G. The riddle of mitochondrial alkaline/neutral invertases: A novel Arabidopsis isoform mainly present in reproductive tissues and involved in root ROS production. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185286 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that this isoform may take part in the ROS/sugar (sucrose or its hydrolysis products) signaling pathway network, involved in reproductive tissue development, cell elongation, and abiotic stress responses. ..
- Kawasaki T, Ito K, Miyata H, Akira S, Kawai T. Deletion of PIKfyve alters alveolar macrophage populations and exacerbates allergic inflammation in mice. EMBO J. 2017;36:1707-1718 pubmed publisher..Thus, PIKfyve plays a role in preventing excessive lung inflammation through regulating AM function. ..
- Wakai E, Aritake K, Urade Y, Fujimori K. Prostaglandin D2 enhances lipid accumulation through suppression of lipolysis via DP2 (CRTH2) receptors in adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:393-399 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that PGD2 suppressed the lipolysis by repression of the cAMP-PKA-HSL axis through DP2R in adipocytes. ..
- Dong Y, Isono K, Ohbo K, Endo T, Ohara O, Maekawa M, et al. EPC1/TIP60-Mediated Histone Acetylation Facilitates Spermiogenesis in Mice. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..Taking these observations together, we reveal an essential role of the NuA4 complexes for histone hyperacetylation and subsequent compaction of the spermatid genome. ..
- Liu J, Cattadori I, Sim D, Eden J, Holmes E, Read A, et al. Reverse Engineering Field Isolates of Myxoma Virus Demonstrates that Some Gene Disruptions or Losses of Function Do Not Explain Virulence Changes Observed in the Field. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..This indicates that considerable caution is warranted when interpreting the possible role of individual mutations during virulence evolution. ..
- Cedeno R, Nakauka Ddamba A, Yousefi M, Sterling S, Leu N, Li N, et al. The histone variant macroH2A confers functional robustness to the intestinal stem cell compartment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185196 pubmed publisher..These data suggest macroH2A enhances reserve ISC survival after DNA damage and thus confers functional robustness to the intestinal epithelium. ..
- Thao N, Kitani S, Nitta H, Tomioka T, Nihira T. Discovering potential Streptomyces hormone producers by using disruptants of essential biosynthetic genes as indicator strains. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2017;70:1004-1008 pubmed publisher..Our finding that 24% of actinomycetes (12 of 51 strains) showed avenolide activity revealed for the first time that the butenolide-type Streptomyces hormone is also common in actinomycetes. ..
- Zhang Y, Kao W, Hayashi Y, Zhang L, Call M, Dong F, et al. Generation and Characterization of a Novel Mouse Line, Keratocan-rtTA (KeraRT), for Corneal Stroma and Tendon Research. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4800-4808 pubmed publisher..The novel Dox inducible KeraRT driver mouse line is a useful genetic tool for gene manipulation and elucidating gene functions in corneal stroma and tendons of limbs and tail during embryonic development, homeostasis and pathogenesis. ..
- Sun X, Yi Y, Xie W, Liang B, Winter M, He N, et al. CFTR Influences Beta Cell Function and Insulin Secretion Through Non-Cell Autonomous Exocrine-Derived Factors. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3325-3338 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CFTR affects ?-cell function via a paracrine mechanism involving proinflammatory factors secreted from islet-associated exocrine-derived cell types. ..
- Liu X, Zong W, Li T, Wang Y, Xu X, Zhou Z, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase APC/CCdh1 degrades MCPH1 after MCPH1-?TrCP2-Cdc25A-mediated mitotic entry to ensure neurogenesis. EMBO J. 2017;36:3666-3681 pubmed publisher..This study provides a mechanistic understanding of how MCPH1 controls neural stem cell fate and brain development. ..
- Li P, Han Q, Tang M, Zhang K. [Knockdown of ATG5 enhances the sensitivity of human renal carcinoma cells to sunitinib]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;33:367-371 pubmed..Conclusion Autophagy is active in renal clear cell carcinoma, and the drug sensitivity to sunitinib in renal cancer cells can be enhanced by the downregulation of ATG5. ..
- McCusker J. MX Cassettes for Knocking Out Genes in Yeast. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2017;2017:pdb.top080689 pubmed publisher..Also discussed are strain genotype requirements (where applicable); media requirements; how to "recycle" or "pop out" cassettes; and counterselections against specific KO cassettes. ..
- Kanie T, Abbott K, Mooney N, Plowey E, Demeter J, JACKSON P. The CEP19-RABL2 GTPase Complex Binds IFT-B to Initiate Intraflagellar Transport at the Ciliary Base. Dev Cell. 2017;42:22-36.e12 pubmed publisher..Activated RABL2B then captures and releases its single effector, the intraflagellar transport B holocomplex, from the large pool of pre-docked IFT-B complexes, and thus initiates ciliary entry of IFT. ..
- Hindriksen S, Bramer A, Truong M, Vromans M, Post J, Verlaan Klink I, et al. Baculoviral delivery of CRISPR/Cas9 facilitates efficient genome editing in human cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179514 pubmed publisher..Tagging of the CPC recruitment factor Haspin with the fluorescent reporter YFP allowed us to study its native localization as well as recruitment to the cohesin subunit Pds5B. ..
- Kumagai H, Nakanishi T, Matsuura T, Kato Y, Watanabe H. CRISPR/Cas-mediated knock-in via non-homologous end-joining in the crustacean Daphnia magna. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186112 pubmed publisher..Owing to its simplicity and ease of experimental design, we suggest that the CRISPR/Cas-mediated knock-in method represents a promising tool for studying functional genomics in D. magna...
- Chen T, Liu C, Lu H, Yin M, Shao C, Hu X, et al. The expression of APE1 in triple-negative breast cancer and its effect on drug sensitivity of olaparib. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317713390 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the expression of APE1 was an important basis for the maintenance of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase 1, and the deletion of APE1 may be related to the resistance of olaparib...
- Kasahara K, Aoki H, Kiyono T, Wang S, Kagiwada H, Yuge M, et al. EGF receptor kinase suppresses ciliogenesis through activation of USP8 deubiquitinase. Nat Commun. 2018;9:758 pubmed publisher..We further show that usp8 knockout zebrafish develops ciliopathy-related phenotypes including cystic kidney, suggesting that USP8 is a regulator of ciliogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Kim S, Habib O, Kim J, Han H, Koo S, Kim J. Generation of a Nrf2 homozygous knockout human embryonic stem cell line using CRISPR/Cas9. Stem Cell Res. 2017;19:46-48 pubmed publisher..The Nrf2 homozygous knockout H9 cell line maintains pluripotency, differentiation potential into three germ layers, and a normal karyotype. ..
- Liu X, Yagi H, Saeed S, Bais A, Gabriel G, Chen Z, et al. The complex genetics of hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1152-1159 pubmed publisher..These findings show that HLHS can arise genetically in a combinatorial fashion, thus providing a new paradigm for the complex genetics of CHD. ..
- Gosztolai A, Schumacher J, Behrends V, Bundy J, Heydenreich F, Bennett M, et al. GlnK Facilitates the Dynamic Regulation of Bacterial Nitrogen Assimilation. Biophys J. 2017;112:2219-2230 pubmed publisher..This suggests a role for GlnK as a buffer of nitrogen shock after starvation, and provides a further functional link between nitrogen and carbon metabolisms. ..
- Liang C, Wang X, Hu J, Lian X, Zhu T, Zhang H, et al. PTPRO Promotes Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein Induced Oxidative Stress and Cell Apoptosis through Toll-Like Receptor 4/Nuclear Factor ?B Pathway. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:495-505 pubmed publisher..PTPRO plays ital roles in AS via promoting ox-LDL induced oxidative stress and cell apoptosis through TLR4/NF-?B pathway. ..
- Jacques R, Edholm E, Jazz S, Odalys T, Francisco D. Xenopus-FV3 host-pathogen interactions and immune evasion. Virology. 2017;511:309-319 pubmed publisher..Comparably, the substantial accumulation of genome copy numbers and exacerbation of type I and III IFN gene expression responses but deficient release of infectious virus suggests that 18K is a viral regulatory gene. ..
- Hosono Y, Niknafs Y, Prensner J, Iyer M, Dhanasekaran S, Mehra R, et al. Oncogenic Role of THOR, a Conserved Cancer/Testis Long Non-coding RNA. Cell. 2017;171:1559-1572.e20 pubmed publisher..THOR represents a novel class of functionally important cancer/testis lncRNAs whose structure and function have undergone positive evolutionary selection. ..
- McCusker J. Introducing MX Cassettes into Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2017;2017:pdb.prot088104 pubmed publisher..This protocol describes how to use the different types of MX cassettes by selecting for prototrophy, utilization of cytosine or acetamide as a sole nitrogen source, or resistance to one of six different drugs. ..
- Puschnik A, Majzoub K, Ooi Y, Carette J. A CRISPR toolbox to study virus-host interactions. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2017;15:351-364 pubmed publisher..The relative ease of use and reproducibility of CRISPR-Cas make it a powerful tool for probing virus-host interactions and for identifying new antiviral targets. ..
- Cottee P, Cole T, Schultz J, Hoang H, Vibbert J, Han S, et al. The C. elegans VAPB homolog VPR-1 is a permissive signal for gonad development. Development. 2017;144:2187-2199 pubmed publisher..These results support the model that the secreted VPR-1 MSPd acts at least in part on gonadal sheath cell precursors in L1 to early L2 stage hermaphrodites to permit gonadogenesis. ..
- Tokuda S, Hirai T, Furuse M. Claudin-4 knockout by TALEN-mediated gene targeting in MDCK cells: Claudin-4 is dispensable for the permeability properties of tight junctions in wild-type MDCK cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182521 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the need for further knockout analysis to reveal the permeability properties of individual claudins. ..
- Soto Burgos J, Bassham D. SnRK1 activates autophagy via the TOR signaling pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182591 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an increase in SnRK1 activity was unable to induce autophagy when TOR was also activated. These results demonstrate that SnRK1 acts upstream of TOR in the activation of autophagy in Arabidopsis. ..
- Weh E, Takeuchi H, Muheisen S, Haltiwanger R, Semina E. Functional characterization of zebrafish orthologs of the human Beta 3-Glucosyltransferase B3GLCT gene mutated in Peters Plus Syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184903 pubmed publisher..At the same time, complete b3glct deficiency in zebrafish appears to be inconsequential and possibly compensated for by a yet unknown mechanism. ..
- Awad S, Chen J. Inferring transcription factor collaborations in gene regulatory networks. BMC Syst Biol. 2014;8 Suppl 1:S1 pubmed publisher..mTRIM is a novel method to infer TF collaborations in transcriptional regulation networks. mTRIM is available at http://www.msu.edu/~jinchen/mTRIM. ..
- Vereczki V, Mansour J, Pour Ghaz I, Bodnar I, Pintér O, Zelena D, et al. Cyclophilin D regulates lifespan and protein expression of aging markers in the brain of mice. Mitochondrion. 2017;34:115-126 pubmed publisher..Both male and female cypD heterozygous but not KO mice exhibited increased lifespans compared to WT littermates, associated with alterations in the protein expression of some markers, albeit without exhibiting changes in behaviour. ..
- Zhi Q, Li J, Liu Q, He Z. A cytosine methyltransferase ortholog dmtA is involved in the sensitivity of Aspergillus flavus to environmental stresses. Fungal Biol. 2017;121:501-514 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the dmtA gene is important in regulation of aflatoxin biosynthesis and for A. flavus to adapt to stressful environments and for survival, although it may hold no apparent function in DNA methylation. ..
- Lieberman R, Pan J, Zhang Q, You M. Rad52 deficiency decreases development of lung squamous cell carcinomas by enhancing immuno-surveillance. Oncotarget. 2017;8:34032-34044 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a key role for the complex interplay between the DNA damage response and host immunity in determining risk for Squamous Cell Lung Carcinoma. ..
- Bisht K, Grill S, Graniel J, Nandakumar J. A lentivirus-free inducible CRISPR-Cas9 system for efficient targeting of human genes. Anal Biochem. 2017;530:40-49 pubmed publisher..In addition to generating inducible knockouts, our technology can be adapted to improve other applications of Cas9, including transcriptional/epigenetic modulation and visualization of cellular DNA loci. ..
- De Giorgi M, Enjyoji K, Jiang G, Csizmadia E, Mitsuhashi S, Gumina R, et al. Complete deletion of Cd39 is atheroprotective in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1292-1305 pubmed publisher..We propose that this phenotype occurs, at least in part, from diminished platelet activation, increased plasma HDL levels, and enhanced cholesterol efflux and indicates the complexity of purinergic signaling in atherosclerosis. ..
- Miglionico R, Ostuni A, Armentano M, Milella L, Crescenzi E, Carmosino M, et al. ABCC6 knockdown in HepG2 cells induces a senescent-like cell phenotype. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2017;22:7 pubmed publisher..These findings show that the absence of ABCC6 profoundly changes the HepG2 phenotype, suggesting that the PXE syndrome is a complex metabolic disease that is not exclusively related to the absence of pyrophosphate in the bloodstream. ..
- Peraki I, Palis J, Mavrothalassitis G. The Ets2 Repressor Factor (Erf) Is Required for Effective Primitive and Definitive Hematopoiesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..We conclude that Erf is required for both primitive and erythromyeloid progenitor waves of hematopoietic stem cell (HSC)-independent hematopoiesis as well as for the normal function of HSCs. ..
- Zhang Q, Zeng L, Zhou P, Irving A, Li S, Shi Z, et al. IFNAR2-dependent gene expression profile induced by IFN-? in Pteropus alecto bat cells and impact of IFNAR2 knockout on virus infection. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182866 pubmed publisher..This study expands our knowledge about bat immunology and the cell line established can provide a powerful tool for future study into virus-bat interaction and cancer biology. ..
- Will A, Cova G, Osterwalder M, Chan W, Wittler L, Brieske N, et al. Composition and dosage of a multipartite enhancer cluster control developmental expression of Ihh (Indian hedgehog). Nat Genet. 2017;49:1539-1545 pubmed publisher..Thus, precise spatiotemporal control of developmental gene expression is achieved by complex multipartite enhancer ensembles. Alterations in the composition of such clusters can result in gene misexpression and disease. ..
- Yuen G, Khan F, Gao S, Stommel J, Batchelor E, Wu X, et al. CRISPR/Cas9-mediated gene knockout is insensitive to target copy number but is dependent on guide RNA potency and Cas9/sgRNA threshold expression level. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:12039-12053 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the behavior of CRISPR/Cas9 in mammalian cells that could be used for future improvement of this platform. ..
- Panaliappan T, Wittmann W, Jidigam V, Mercurio S, Bertolini J, Sghari S, et al. Sox2 is required for olfactory pit formation and olfactory neurogenesis through BMP restriction and Hes5 upregulation. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that Sox2 is essential to establish, maintain and expand the neuronal progenitor pool by suppressing Bmp4 and upregulating Hes5 expression. ..
- Venugopal K, Werkmeister E, Barois N, Saliou J, Poncet A, Huot L, et al. Dual role of the Toxoplasma gondii clathrin adaptor AP1 in the sorting of rhoptry and microneme proteins and in parasite division. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006331 pubmed publisher..In addition, we unraveled an original role for TgAP1 in the regulation of parasite division. AP?1-depleted parasites undergo normal daughter cell budding and basal complex assembly but fail to segregate at the end of cytokinesis. ..
- Wang L, Wagner L, Alzayady K, Yule D. Region-specific proteolysis differentially regulates type 1 inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor activity. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11714-11726 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that proteolysis of IP3R1 may represent a novel form of modulation of IP3R1 channel function and increases the repertoire of Ca2+ signals achievable through this channel. ..
- Badur A, Plutz M, Yalamanchili G, Jagtap S, Schweder T, Unfried F, et al. Exploiting fine-scale genetic and physiological variation of closely related microbes to reveal unknown enzyme functions. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13056-13067 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the value of querying the enzymatic repertoires of closely related microbes to rapidly pinpoint key proteins with beneficial functions. ..
- Liao K, Chang S, Chang H, Chien C, Huang T, Feng T, et al. Endothelial angiogenesis is directed by RUNX1T1-regulated VEGFA, BMP4 and TGF-?2 expression. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179758 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the discovery and application of pharmaceutical activators for RUNX1T1 will improve therapeutic efficacy toward ischemia by promoting neovascularization. ..
- Pfeffer S, Fan M, Du Z, Yang C, Pfeffer L. Unphosphorylated STAT3 regulates the antiproliferative, antiviral, and gene-inducing actions of type I interferons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:739-745 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that unphosphorylated STAT3 plays an important role in the IFN response pathway. ..
- Cheng Y, Chen S, Freeden C, Chen W, Zhang Y, Abraham P, et al. Bile Salt Homeostasis in Normal and Bsep Gene Knockout Rats with Single and Repeated Doses of Troglitazone. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;362:385-394 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our study is the first to demonstrate that repeated TGZ doses can upregulate Cyp7A1 in rats. ..
- Ono A, Sano O, Kazetani K, Muraki T, Imamura K, Sumi H, et al. Feedback activation of AMPK-mediated autophagy acceleration is a key resistance mechanism against SCD1 inhibitor-induced cell growth inhibition. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181243 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these findings suggest that combining SCD1 inhibitor with autophagy inhibitors is a promising anticancer therapy. ..
- Cambier C, O Leary S, O Sullivan M, Keane J, Ramakrishnan L. Phenolic Glycolipid Facilitates Mycobacterial Escape from Microbicidal Tissue-Resident Macrophages. Immunity. 2017;47:552-565.e4 pubmed publisher..Human alveolar macrophages produced CCL2 in a PGL-dependent fashion following infection, arguing for the potential of PGL-blocking interventions or PGL-targeting vaccine strategies in the prevention of tuberculosis. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Qian C, Wong C, Wu Z, He Q, Xia H, Tam P, et al. Stage specific requirement of platelet-derived growth factor receptor-? in embryonic development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184473 pubmed publisher..Future work should aim at defining (a) the regulatory elements for the expression of the human PDGFRA during embryonic development, and (b) if mutations / sequence variations of these regulatory elements cause these anomalies. ..
- . large-scale screening for targeted knockouts in the Caenorhabditis elegans genome. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:1415-25 pubmed publisher..This knowledge will usher in a new age of metazoan genetics in which the contribution to any biological process can be assessed for all genes. ..
- Havranek O, Xu J, Köhrer S, Wang Z, Becker L, Comer J, et al. Tonic B-cell receptor signaling in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood. 2017;130:995-1006 pubmed publisher..PTEN protein expression and BCR surface density may influence clinical response to therapeutic inhibition of tonic BCR signaling in DLBCL. ..
- Meehan T, Conte N, West D, Jacobsen J, Mason J, Warren J, et al. Disease model discovery from 3,328 gene knockouts by The International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1231-1238 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe our role in variant functional validation with The 100,000 Genomes Project and others. ..
- Guan M, Zhang X. Functional genomic assessment of 2, 2-bis (bromomethyl)-1, 3-propanediol induced cytotoxicity in a single-gene knockout library of E. coli. Chemosphere. 2017;185:582-588 pubmed publisher..Overall, the functional genomic screening approach presented here provides a great tool to assess the cellular toxicological mechanism of environmental chemicals. ..
- Slotta C, Schlüter T, Ruiz Perera L, Kadhim H, Tertel T, Henkel E, et al. CRISPR/Cas9-mediated knockout of c-REL in HeLa cells results in profound defects of the cell cycle. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182373 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings emphasize the importance of c-REL signaling in a cellular model of cervical cancer with direct clinical implications for the development of new treatment strategies. ..
- Niehaus T, ElBadawi Sidhu M, De Crecy Lagard V, Fiehn O, Hanson A. Discovery of a widespread prokaryotic 5-oxoprolinase that was hiding in plain sight. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16360-16367 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it illustrates how easily metabolite damage and damage-control systems can be overlooked, even for central metabolites in model organisms. ..
- Khoueiry R, Sohni A, Thienpont B, Luo X, Velde J, Bartoccetti M, et al. Lineage-specific functions of TET1 in the postimplantation mouse embryo. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1061-1072 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our study highlights an interplay between the catalytic and non-catalytic activities of TET1 that is essential for normal development. ..
- Watanabe S, Fukumori F, Miyazaki M, Tagami S, Watanabe Y. Characterization of a Novel cis-3-Hydroxy-l-Proline Dehydratase and a trans-3-Hydroxy-l-Proline Dehydratase from Bacteria. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..The results of the present study show that several l-hydroxyprolines are available for bacteria as carbon and energy sources and may contribute to the discovery of potential metabolic pathways of another hydroxyproline(s). ..
- Jung C, Christiansen S, Kaul M, Koziolek E, Reimer R, Heeren J, et al. Quantitative and qualitative estimation of atherosclerotic plaque burden in vivo at 7T MRI using Gadospin F in comparison to en face preparation evaluated in ApoE KO mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180407 pubmed publisher..69; p<0.01). GDF-enhanced in vivo MRI is a powerful non-invasive imaging technique in mice allowing for reliable estimation of atherosclerotic plaque burden, monitoring of disease progression and regression in preclinical studies. ..
- Li W, Xu H, Xiao T, Cong L, Love M, Zhang F, et al. MAGeCK enables robust identification of essential genes from genome-scale CRISPR/Cas9 knockout screens. Genome Biol. 2014;15:554 pubmed..MAGeCK also detected cell type-specific essential genes, including BCR and ABL1, in KBM7 cells bearing a BCR-ABL fusion, and IGF1R in HL-60 cells, which depends on the insulin signaling pathway for proliferation. ..
- Imperatore F, Maurizio J, Vargas Aguilar S, Busch C, Favret J, Kowenz Leutz E, et al. SIRT1 regulates macrophage self-renewal. EMBO J. 2017;36:2353-2372 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that SIRT1 is a key regulator of macrophage self-renewal that integrates cell cycle and longevity pathways. This suggests that macrophage self-renewal might be a relevant parameter of ageing. ..