Genomes and Genes
research embryo creation
Summary: The creation of embryos specifically for research purposes.
- Pimple K. ES research and immorality. Nat Biotechnol. 2002;20:776; author reply 776 pubmed
- Kuehn B. Advances aim to ease stem cell concerns. JAMA. 2005;294:2557-8 pubmed
- Egan R, Hurlbut W. The burden of proof. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2005;5:12-3, 19-22 pubmed
- Landry D, Zucker H. Embryonic death and the creation of human embryonic stem cells. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:1184-6 pubmed..We suggest that a common ground for pursuing research on human embryonic stem cells can be found by reconsidering the death of the human embryo and by applying to this research the ethical norms of essential organ donation. ..
- Vogel G. International treaties. United Nations tackles cloning question--again. Science. 2004;306:797 pubmed
- Daley G. Missed opportunities in embryonic stem-cell research. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:627-8 pubmed
- Dorff E. Stem cell research. Conserv Jud. 2003;55:3-29 pubmed
- Holden C. Stem cell research. Scientists object to Massachusetts rules. Science. 2006;313:1372 pubmed
- Santorum R. The new culture of life: promoting responsible and appropriate medical research. Notre Dame J Law Ethics Public Policy. 2003;17:151-6 pubmed
- Pearson H. Early embryos can yield stem cells... and survive. Nature. 2006;442:858 pubmed
- Vastag B. UK licenses human embryo creation: "Dolly" cloner to create embryos for research. JAMA. 2003;290:449-50 pubmed
- Hanson S. "More on respect for embryos and potentiality: does respect for embryos entail respect for in vitro embryos?". Theor Med Bioeth. 2006;27:215-26 pubmed..This creates an important moral distinction between embryos in vivo and in vitro. Attempts to refute this moral distinction, raised in the recent debate in this journal between Alfonso Gómez-Lobo and Mary Mahowald, are also addressed. ..
- Cohen C. Stem cell research in the U.S. after the President's speech of August 2001. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2004;14:97-114 pubmed
- Turnpenny L. Embryo's moral status is unaffected by alteration. Nature. 2005;437:26 pubmed
- Check E. Biologists seek blueprint for international stem-cell effort. Nature. 2003;421:102 pubmed
- Hurlbut W. Altered nuclear transfer. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:1153-4; author reply 1153-4 pubmed
- Kiessling A. Eggs alone. Nature. 2005;434:145 pubmed
- Weissman I. Medicine: politic stem cells. Nature. 2006;439:145-7 pubmed
- Clarke S. Ethical consistency in embryonic stem cell research. N Z Bioeth J. 2004;5:29-30 pubmed
- Seyfer T. An overview of chimeras and hybrids. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2006;6:37-49 pubmed
- Guan K, Nayernia K, Maier L, Wagner S, Dressel R, Lee J, et al. Pluripotency of spermatogonial stem cells from adult mouse testis. Nature. 2006;440:1199-203 pubmed..Furthermore, these cells may provide new opportunities to study genetic diseases in various cell lineages. ..
- Magnus D. Translating stem cell research: challenges at the research frontier. J Law Med Ethics. 2010;38:267-76 pubmed publisher..The central ethical challenges in stem cell clinical trials arise in frontier research, not in standard, well-established areas of research. ..
- Bianchi E, Geremia R, Sette C. Expression of stemness markers in mouse parthenogenetic-diploid blastocysts is influenced by slight variation of activation protocol adopted. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010;46:619-23 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the protocol employed to develop parthenogenetic blastocysts in vitro affects the quality of cells in the inner cell mass. ..
- Hyun I. Fair payment or undue inducement?. Nature. 2006;442:629-30 pubmed
- Cyranoski D. Stem cells from testes: could it work?. Nature. 2006;440:586-7 pubmed
- Green R. Toward a full theory of moral status. Am J Bioeth. 2005;5:44-6; discussion W14-6 pubmed
- Koch Hershenov R. Totipotency, twinning, and ensoulment at fertilization. J Med Philos. 2006;31:139-64 pubmed..I will then argue that not only is an ensoulment theory consistent with current biological data on the human embryo, but it may offer an explanation for the phenomencon of monozygotic twinning. ..
- Salter B, Cooper M, Dickins A, Cardo V. Stem cell science in India: emerging economies and the politics of globalization. Regen Med. 2007;2:75-89 pubmed
- Srivastava A. Stem cell research in India: from hype and hope to reality. Natl Med J India. 2006;19:243-5 pubmed
- Condic M, Condic S, Hurlbut W. Producing non-embryonic organisms for stem cells. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2005;5:13-5, 19-22 pubmed
- Cheshire W. Inevitable human cloning as viewed from 221-B Baker Street. Ethics Med. 2004;20:141-9 pubmed
- Reichhardt T, Cyranoski D, Schiermeier Q. Religion and science: studies of faith. Nature. 2004;432:666-9 pubmed
- Magnus D. Stem cell research should be more than a promise. Hastings Cent Rep. 2004;34:35-6 pubmed
- Macilwain C, Bush G, Kerry J. Head to head: Bush vs Kerry. Nature. 2004;431:238-43 pubmed
- Tamkins T. South Koreans create human stem cell line using nuclear transfer. Lancet. 2004;363:623 pubmed
- Gross M. Human cloning action stalled. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R937-9 pubmed
- Ishii T, Pera R, Greely H. Ethical and legal issues arising in research on inducing human germ cells from pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:145-8 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss important ethical, legal, and social issues that would be raised by the development of such female or male gametes for clinical use. ..
- Quintavalle J, Hurlbut W. The many perils that lie ahead. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2005;5:16-7, 19-22 pubmed
- Camporesi S, Boniolo G. Fearing a non-existing Minotaur? The ethical challenges of research on cytoplasmic hybrid embryos. J Med Ethics. 2008;34:821-5 pubmed publisher..Finally, we object to the most common arguments against cybrids research, that is, moral repugnance, the slippery slope argument, the appeal to "nature", and the unfair distribution of economical resources. ..
- Doerflinger R. The many casualties of cloning. New Atlantis. 2006;12:60-70 pubmed
- Vogel G. Italian science. Abstentions scuttle drive to liberalize Italy's embryo laws. Science. 2005;308:1722 pubmed
- Jaenisch R. Human cloning - the science and ethics of nuclear transplantation. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:2787-91 pubmed
- Abbott A. US Army backs Swedish cell study. Nature. 2004;428:356 pubmed
- Nelson L. Spanish lawmakers clash over control of stem-cell research. Nature. 2004;428:7 pubmed
- Dennis C. Developmental reprogramming: take a cell, any cell. Nature. 2003;426:490-1 pubmed
- Tollefsen C. Embryos, individuals, and persons: an argument against embryo creation and research. J Appl Philos. 2001;18:65-77 pubmed..I then argue that such arguments against personhood are not rationally conclusive. The claim that the early embryos is not a human individual is not nearly as obvious as some assert. ..
- Sherley J. Embryos aren't essential to stem-cell research. Nature. 2003;423:381 pubmed
- Heinemann T, Honnefelder L. Principles of ethical decision making regarding embryonic stem cell research in Germany. Bioethics. 2002;16:530-43 pubmed..e. by nuclear transfer technology, have strong ethical relevance in the German debate. Based on these results, the ethical reasoning underlying the draft of a Stem Cell Act recently passed by the German Parliament is outlined. ..
- Schiller C. Stem cell research and conditional federal funding: do state laws allowing more extensive research pose a problem for federalism?. Pepperdine Law Rev. 2004;31:1017-54 pubmed
- Inoue K, Noda S, Ogonuki N, Miki H, Inoue S, Katayama K, et al. Differential developmental ability of embryos cloned from tissue-specific stem cells. Stem Cells. 2007;25:1279-85 pubmed..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Gethmann C. The moral status of the embryo and the protection of its life. Hum Reprod Genet Ethics. 2003;9:38-40 pubmed