Genomes and Genes
starch gel electrophoresis
Summary: Electrophoresis in which a starch gel (a mixture of amylose and amylopectin) is used as the diffusion medium.
- Batista F, Sosa P. Allozyme diversity in natural populations of Viola palmensis Webb & Berth. (Violaceae) from La Palma (Canary Islands): implications for conservation genetics. Ann Bot. 2002;90:725-33 pubmed..For conservation genetics we suggest in situ preservation areas are defined that are free of disturbance and that include populations with the highest genetic diversity. ..
- Fallour D, Fady B, Lefevre F. Evidence of variation in segregation patterns within a Cedrus population. J Hered. 2001;92:260-6 pubmed..Both segregation distortions and heterogeneity of recombination frequencies indicate the occurrence of a genetic load in this population. ..
- Miner G, Wolfe H. Phosphoglucomutase isozymes of red cells in Mus musculus: additional polymorphism at PGM-l compared by two electrophoretic systems. Biochem Genet. 1972;7:247-52 pubmed
- Aksoy M, Erdem S, Efremov G, Wilson J, Huisman T, Schroeder W, et al. Hemoglobin Istanbul: substitution of glutamine for histidine in a proximal histidine (F8(92) ). J Clin Invest. 1972;51:2380-7 pubmed..quot;In the determination of structure, a method of preferential cleavage of an aspartyl-proline bond at residues 99-100 of the beta-chain was used. ..
- Jeremiah S, Povey S, Burley M, Kielty C, Lee M, Spowart G, et al. Mapping studies on human mitochondrial glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase. Ann Hum Genet. 1982;46:145-52 pubmed..Family studies have provided independent confirmation of this and have suggested the gene order PGP-16qh-GOT2-HP. These studies were made easier by the development of a new stain for the detection of GOT activity. ..
- Weidema I, Magnussen L, Philipp M. Gene flow and mode of pollination in a dry-grassland species, Filipendula vulgaris (Rosaceae). Heredity (Edinb). 2000;84 ( Pt 3):311-20 pubmed..The substantial gene flow between populations may be reducing the effects of genetic drift in the small fragmented populations of F. vulgaris. ..
- Horii T, Kitaura J, Wada K, Nishida M. Genetic relationship among Japanese sentinel crabs (Decapoda: Ocypodidae: genus Macrophthalmus). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;130:75-82 pubmed..The genetic relationships among Macrophthalmus species differed greatly from those inferred from morphological features, with a UPGMA tree suggesting that the sub-genus Macrophthalmus is polyphyletic. ..
- Pujol C, Joly S, Lockhart S, Noel S, Tibayrenc M, Soll D. Parity among the randomly amplified polymorphic DNA method, multilocus enzyme electrophoresis, and Southern blot hybridization with the moderately repetitive DNA probe Ca3 for fingerprinting Candida albicans. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:2348-58 pubmed
- Nesterova T, Borodin P, Zakian S, Serov O. Assignment of the gene for adenine phosphoribosyltransferase on the genetic map of mouse chromosome 8. Biochem Genet. 1987;25:563-8 pubmed..The recombination distance between the centromere and Aprt is 44 +/- 7 cM, and that between Es-1 and Aprt is 25 +/- 2 cM, i.e., the probable order of the markers examined is cen-Es-1-Aprt on chromosome 8. ..
- Piłacik B. [Alpha 1-antitrypsin phenotypes and their role in medical diagnosis]. Med Pr. 1987;38:376-83 pubmed..An early establishment of alpha-1-antitrypsin phenotype may be significant for occupational prevention, furthermore, it may be helpful in the highlighting of etiology of certain liver diseases in early childhood. ..
- Soares E. Identification of a new allele of Es-I segregating in an inbred strain of mice. Biochem Genet. 1979;17:577-83 pubmed..To date, no discernible deleterious effects have been identified as associated with this mutation. ..
- Reed R, Winter W, Rucknagel D. Haemoglobin inkster (alpha2 85aspartic acid leads to valine beta2) coexisting with beta-thalassaemia in a Caucasian family. Br J Haematol. 1974;26:475-84 pubmed
- Cleland S, Hocutt G, Breitmeyer C, Markow T, Pfeiler E. Alcohol dehydrogenase polymorphism in barrel cactus populations of Drosophila mojavensis. Genetica. 1996;98:115-7 pubmedb>Starch gel electrophoresis revealed that the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH-2) locus was polymorphic in two populations (from Agua Caliente, California and the Grand Canyon, Arizona) of cactophilic Drosophila mojavensis that utilize barrel ..
- Kaplan R, Chapman V, Ruddle F. Electrophoretic variation of alpha-amylase in two inbred strains of Mus musculus. J Hered. 1973;64:155-7 pubmed
- Nichols E, Ruddle F, Petras M. Linkage of the locus for serum albumin in the house mouse, Mus musculus. Biochem Genet. 1975;13:551-5 pubmed..An electrophoretic variant for serum albumin in Mus musculus has been used to map the structural gene for this protein to chromosome 5. ..
- Povey S, Wilson D, Harris H, Gormley I, Perry P, Buckton K. Sub-unit structure of soluble and mitochondrial malic enzyme: demonstration of human mitochondrial enzyme in human-mouse hybrids. Ann Hum Genet. 1975;39:203-12 pubmed..Data from human--mouse hybrids suggest that MEM is probably not syntenic with MES is probably not syntenic with MES in man, nor is it syntenic with GPI. ..
- Leinwand L, Ruddle F. Assignment of the gene for dipeptidase 2 to Mus musculus chromosome 18 by somatic cell hybridization. Biochem Genet. 1978;16:477-84 pubmed..DIP-2 and chromosome 18 were expressed concordantly in 24/24 clones examined (ten primary clones and 14 secondary clones). Synteny testing indicated that DIP-2 was not expressed concordantly with the expression of any marker enzymes. ..
- Dereure J, Pratlong F, Reynes J, Basset D, Bastien P, Dedet J. Haemoculture as a tool for diagnosing visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-negative and HIV-positive patients: interest for parasite identification. Bull World Health Organ. 1998;76:203-6 pubmed..These findings indicate that the minimally invasive hemoculture technique is an effective means of VL diagnosis in both HIV-infected and HIV-negative patients. ..
- Palm S, Dannewitz J, Jarvi T, Petersson E, Prestegaard T, Ryman N. Lack of molecular genetic divergence between sea-ranched and wild sea trout (Salmo trutta). Mol Ecol. 2003;12:2057-71 pubmed
- Fujii H, Chen S, Akatsuka J, Miwa S, Yoshida A. Use of cultured lymphoblastoid cells for the study of abnormal enzymes: molecular abnormality of a phosphoglycerate kinase variant associated with hemolytic anemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1981;78:2587-90 pubmed..Thus, the use of the cultured lymphoblastoid cells is proven to be useful for the study of structural and functional abnormalities of mutant enzymes. ..
- Noyes H, Pratlong F, Chance M, Ellis J, Lanotte G, Dedet J. A previously unclassified trypanosomatid responsible for human cutaneous lesions in Martinique (French West Indies) is the most divergent member of the genus Leishmania ss. Parasitology. 2002;124:17-24 pubmed..enriettii was low. The Martinique parasites may cluster with L. (Leishmania) or L. (Viannia) or form a novel clade within the euleishmania either with or without L. enriettii. ..
- Oudni M, M rad S, Mekki M, Belguith M, Cabaret J, Pratlong F, et al. Genetic relationships between sheep, cattle and human Echinococcus infection in Tunisia. Vet Parasitol. 2004;121:95-103 pubmed..We conclude that humans are mostly infected by parasites originating from sheep liver. The intense deficiency in heterozygotes was partly artefactual (Wahlund effect) and partly due to self-fertilisation. ..
- Carter N, Jeffery S, Shiels A, Edwards Y, Tipler T, Hopkinson D. Characterization of human carbonic anhydrase III from skeletal muscle. Biochem Genet. 1979;17:837-54 pubmed
- Pecsenye K, Komlósi I, Saura A. Heritabilities and additive genetic variances of the activities of some enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster populations living in different habitats. Heredity (Edinb). 2004;93:215-21 pubmed..The heritability values were rather high and they had a considerable variation both between the habitats and across the enzymes. ..
- Zhou X, Kristensen T. Genetic and morphological variations in populations of Oncomelania spp in China. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 1999;30:166-76 pubmed..A positive correlation (r = 0.80) between Mahalanobis' morphological distance and genetic distance supports the hypothesis that the different shell phenotypes represent different species or subspecies. ..
- Sato H, Kimura S, Itakura K. Genetic and serologic re-evaluation of LyM-1 antigen specified by a gene closely linked to Mls: establishment of LyM-1 antigen of the mouse. J Immunogenet. 1981;8:27-40 pubmed..2 serum under the condition in which Lyb-2.1 is not involved in analysis. The strain distribution of LyM-1 antigen, its preferential expression on B lymphocytes and close genetic linkage of LyM-1 to Mls have been established. ..
- Erickson R, Eicher E, Gluecksohn Waelsch S. Demonstration in mouse of X-ray induced deletions for a know enzyme structural locus. Nature. 1974;248:416-8 pubmed
- Kilinc Y, Kumi M, Gurgey A, Altay C, Webber B, Wilson J, et al. Hemoglobin O-Padova or alpha(2)30(B11)Glu----Lys beta 2 observed in members of a Turkish family. Hemoglobin. 1985;9:621-5 pubmed
- Martinez M, Whittan T, McGraw E, Rodrigues J, Trabulsi L. Clonal relationship among invasive and non-invasive strains of enteroinvasive Escherichia coli serogroups. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1999;172:145-51 pubmed..The maintenance of invasive phenotypes in separate lineages suggests that this ability confers a selective advantage to invasive strains. ..
- Salmenkova E, Omel chenko V. [Population-genetic structure of Dolly varden (Salvelinus malma Walbaum) from Southeastern Sakhalin and Southern Kuril islands]. Genetika. 2000;36:1100-10 pubmed..3%). In small populations isolated from the sea, genetic variation was lower than in nonisolated populations. Allozyme differences between the northern and the southern forms of Dolly Varden are discussed. ..
- Swallow D, Turner V, Hopkinson D. Isozymes of rodent 5'-nucleotidase: evidence for two independent structural loci Umph-1 and Umph-2. Ann Hum Genet. 1983;47:9-17 pubmed..The evidence suggests that UMPH-1 and UMPH-2 are coded by distinct structural gene loci, Umph-1 and Umph-2. These isozymes have not been identified in man, and it is suggested that they may have overlapping electrophoretic mobility. ..
- Chapman V, Nichols E, Ruddle F. Esterase-8 (Es-8): characterization, polymorphism, and linkage of an erythrocyte esterase locus on chromosome 7 of Mus musculus. Biochem Genet. 1974;11:347-58 pubmed
- Sumida I, Ota Y, Imamura T, Yanase T. Hemoglobin Sawara: alpha 6(A4) aspartic acid leads to alanine. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1973;322:23-6 pubmed
- Korochkin L, Aronshtam A, Matveeva N. Genetics of esterases in Drosophila. III. Influence of different chromosomes on esterase pattern in Drosophila. Biochem Genet. 1974;12:9-24 pubmed
- Murren C. Spatial and demographic population genetic structure in Catasetum viridiflavum across a human-disturbed habitat. J Evol Biol. 2003;16:333-42 pubmed..Although quite different in ecological and life history characteristics, the genetic structure of this orchid demonstrates a pattern similar to temperate and tropical trees in fragmented landscapes. ..
- Pratlong F, Deniau M, Darie H, Eichenlaub S, Proll S, Garrabe E, et al. Human cutaneous leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania naiffi is wide-spread in South America. Ann Trop Med Parasitol. 2002;96:781-5 pubmed..The geographical distribution of L. naiffi is clearly larger than that initially reported. Three zymodemes were represented by the four isolates, confirming that there is intraspecific polymorphism in L. naiffi. ..
- Fujita S, Ohta Y, Saito S, Kobayashi Y, Naritomi Y, Kawaguchi T, et al. Hemoglobin A2 Honai (alpha 2 delta 2(90)(F6)Glu----Val): a new delta chain variant. Hemoglobin. 1985;9:597-607 pubmed..84% of total hemoglobin. Hb A2 and Hb A were estimated to be 1.30% and 97.85%, respectively. Hb A2 Honai was observed in 4 members of a family in 3 generations. No hematologic abnormalities were associated with Hb A2 Honai. ..
- Matsui M, Kokuryo Y, Misawa Y, Nishikawa K. A new species of salamander of the genus Hynobius from Central Honshu, Japan (Amphibia, Urodela). Zoolog Sci. 2004;21:661-9 pubmed..kimurae, derived from allozyme data from a starch gel electrophoresis, proved to be sufficiently large to differentiate it at a specific rank...
- Zaghloul M, Hamrick J, Moustafa A, Kamel W, El Ghareeb R. Genetic diversity within and among sinai populations of three Ballota species (Lamiaceae). J Hered. 2006;97:45-54 pubmed
- Gloria Bottini F, Magrini A, Cozzoli E, Bergamaschi A, Bottini E. ADA genetic polymorphism and the effect of smoking on neonatal bilirubinemia and developmental parameters. Early Hum Dev. 2008;84:739-43 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that ADA phenotype modifies the effect of smoking on developmental and bilirubin parameters. ..
- Ottosson F, von Bothmer R, Diaz O. Genetic variation in three species of Hordeum, and the selection of accessions for the Barley Core Collection. Hereditas. 2002;137:7-15 pubmedb>Starch gel electrophoresis of isozymes was used to investigate the level and distribution of genetic variation in accessions of three wild, diploid Hordeum species...
- Gantenbein B, Largiader C. Mesobuthus gibbosus (Scorpiones: Buthidae) on the island of Rhodes -- hybridization between Ulysses' stowaways and native scorpions?. Mol Ecol. 2002;11:925-38 pubmed..Mitochondrial DNA analysis, in contrast, revealed only one group of closely related haplotypes that are unique for the Rhodes populations, thus suggesting asymmetric introgression of the two marker classes. ..
- Schuster W, Mitton J. Paternity and gene dispersal in limber pine (Pinus flexilis James). Heredity (Edinb). 2000;84 ( Pt 3):348-61 pubmed..The observed allozyme differences and surprisingly low estimates of among-subpopulation gene flow are ascribed to a probable restriction of gene dispersal by seeds. ..
- Park G, Yong T, Im K, Lee K. Isozyme electrophoresis patterns of the liver fluke, Clonorchis sinensis from Kimhae, Korea and from Shenyang, China. Korean J Parasitol. 2000;38:45-8 pubmed..fluke, Clonorchis sinensis from Kimhae, Korea and from Shenyang, China was conducted using a horizontal starch gel electrophoresis in order to elucidate their genetic relationships...
- Strange R, Faulder C, Davis B, Hume R, Brown J, Cotton W, et al. The human glutathione S-transferases: studies on the tissue distribution and genetic variation of the GST1, GST2 and GST3 isozymes. Ann Hum Genet. 1984;48:11-20 pubmed..GST3 isozymes were found as relatively strong components in every tissue examined except adult liver, with slight tissue to tissue variability in electrophoretic mobility. ..
- Groen A, Lagerwerf A. Genetically determined electrophoretic variants of the major urinary protein (Mup) complex in mouse urine. Anim Blood Groups Biochem Genet. 1979;10:107-14 pubmed..The Mup phenotypes described, can be useful for the detection of certain strain contaminations, especially if F1 hybrid Mup phenotypes are distinguishable. ..
- Granger A. Gene flow in cherry orchards. Theor Appl Genet. 2004;108:497-500 pubmed..The majority of pollenisers were found to be within 20 m of the tree under examination. Isozyme profiles for 22 cultivars not previously analysed are also presented. ..
- Kollars P, Beck M, Mech S, Kennedy P, Kennedy M. Temporal and spatial genetic variability in white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Genetica. 2004;121:269-76 pubmed..Herd origin, stocking history of populations, and gene flow were probable causes of spatial heterogeneity in deer populations in western Tennessee. ..
- Huisman T, Wrightstone R, Wilson J, Schroeder W, Kendall A. Hemoglobin Kenya, the product of fusion of amd polypeptide chains. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1972;153:850-3 pubmed
- O Brien S, MacIntyre R. The -glycerophosphate in Drosophila melanogaster. II. Genetic aspects. Genetics. 1972;71:127-38 pubmed..The levels of mitochondrial alpha-glycerophosphate oxidase, measured in flies genetically deficient in the cytoplasmic enzyme, were normal. ..
- Finlay M, McCloud L. Intestinal leucine aminopeptidase and alkaline phosphatase: genetic regulation and development in mice. Biochem Genet. 1990;28:267-81 pubmed..In interstrain crosses, banded/diffuse, migration rate, and neuraminidase sensitivity were inherited as independent autosomal traits, with indications of variable penetrance and genetic interaction. ..
- Matsui M, Nishikawa K, Misawa Y, Tanabe S. Systematic Relationships of Hynobius okiensis among Japanese Salamanders (Amphibia: Caudata). Zoolog Sci. 2007;24:746-51 pubmed..A reversal only in breeding habits then seems to have followed in steep, montane environments of the small island of Dogo, resulting in the speciation of H. okiensis. ..
- Harada S, Agarwal D, Goedde H. Isozyme variations in acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (e.c.22.214.171.124) in human tissues. Hum Genet. 1978;44:181-5 pubmed..It is likely that three isozyme sets are concerned in determining ALDH types. The distribution of various phenotypes of ALDH isozyme sets is presented. ..