Genomes and Genes
Summary: The quality of SEMEN, an indicator of male fertility, can be determined by semen volume, pH, sperm concentration (SPERM COUNT), total sperm number, sperm viability, sperm vigor (SPERM MOTILITY), normal sperm morphology, ACROSOME integrity, and the concentration of WHITE BLOOD CELLS.
- Kanakasabapathy M, Sadasivam M, Singh A, Preston C, Thirumalaraju P, Venkataraman M, et al. An automated smartphone-based diagnostic assay for point-of-care semen analysis. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..Manual microscope-based testing and computer-assisted semen analysis (CASA) are the current standard methods to diagnose male infertility; however, these methods are labor-..
- Prochowska S, Nizanski W. In vitro fertilizing potential of urethral and epididymal spermatozoa collected from domestic cats (Felis catus). Pol J Vet Sci. 2017;20:19-24 pubmed publisher..In this study we confirmed that cryopreserved urethral spermatozoa have equally good fertilizing potential as epididymal ones, and both can be successfully used for in vitro fertilization in cats with the use of commercial medium. ..
- Osadchuk L, Popova A, Erkovich A, Voroshilova N, Osadchuk A. [Effects of smoking and alcohol consumptionon reproductive and metabolic indicators in young men in western siberia]. Urologiia. 2017;:62-67 pubmed..Thus, in young men, frequent drinking and smoking can alter the hormonal and metabolic balance, which, as the duration of the exposure and the strength of the factors increase, will increase the risk of reproductive disorders. ..
- Ribeiro S, Muratori M, De Geyter M, De Geyter C. TUNEL labeling with BrdUTP/anti-BrdUTP greatly underestimates the level of sperm DNA fragmentation in semen evaluation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181802 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, the kit using BrdUTP/fluorescein-anti-BrdUTP should not be recommended as a method to assay DNA damage in semen. This study represents one further step in the standardization of TUNEL among laboratories. ..
- Ali L, Hassan Andrabi S, Ahmed H, Hussain Shah A. Freezability of water buffalo spermatozoa is improved with the addition of catalase in cryodiluent. Cryo Letters. 2017;38:145-154 pubmed..05) in T4 group as compared with control. Addition of catalase at a concentration of 300IU/ml in TCA cryodiluent improved the freezability of water buffalo spermatozoa. ..
- Rick I, Mehlis M, Eßer E, Bakker T. The influence of ambient ultraviolet light on sperm quality and sexual ornamentation in three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Oecologia. 2014;174:393-402 pubmed..By highlighting the role of UVA as a factor influencing fitness-relevant traits, our findings may contribute to a better understanding of the consequences of current and future levels of solar UVR for mating systems and life history. ..
- Sosnin D, Zubareva N, Nenasheva O, Krivtsov A, Karimova N, Pozdin N. [Ejaculate and serum procalcitonin levels in healthy men and men with oligoasthenozoospermia]. Urologiia. 2017;:61-65 pubmed..Further studies seem warranted, specifically considering the role and source of procalcitonin production in sperm. ..
- Kably Ambe A, Carballo Mondragon E, Roque Sánchez A, Durán Monterosas L, Amaro Hernández E. [Evaluation of semen parameters in long term cryopreserved samples for over 10 years]. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2016;84:1-6 pubmed..5 ± 3.01 respectively) compared with OAT Groups and QX (9.8 ± 0.2 and 12, 17 ± 3.9). It is possible to store semen samples for a long period of time, retrieving suitable viability sperm useful for assisted reproduction techniques. ..
- Wei R, Chen J, Huang J, Zhang X, Cui Y. [Type of sperm DNA strand breaks in infertile men and its clinical implication]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2015;21:604-9 pubmed..05 or P < 0.01). Double-stranded, rather than single-stranded DNA breaks, may be a factor inducing male infertility. The type of sperm DNA strand damage is of much reference value for the assessment of male fertility. ..
- Gundersen T, JÃ¸rgensen N, Andersson A, Bang A, Nordkap L, SkakkebÃ¦k N, et al. Association Between Use of Marijuana and Male Reproductive Hormones and Semen Quality: A Study Among 1,215 Healthy Young Men. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;182:473-81 pubmed publisher..Marijuana smokers had higher levels of testosterone within the same range as cigarette smokers. Our findings are of public interest as marijuana use is common and may be contributing to recent reports of poor semen quality. ..
- Gomaa A, Abou Khalil N, Abdel Ghani M. The protective role of folic acid against testicular dysfunction in lead-intoxicated rat model. Gen Physiol Biophys. 2017;36:297-308 pubmed publisher..in the relative testicular weight and the serum level of testosterone, an impairment in the characters of semen analysis, and an increased content of lead, malondialdehyde and both interleukin-6 and -10 and a decreased antioxidant ..
- SaÄŸlam H, AltundaÄŸ H, Atik Y, DÃ¼ndar M, Adsan Ã. Trace elements levels in the serum, urine, and semen of patients with infertility. Turk J Med Sci. 2015;45:443-8 pubmed..05). In the present study, we found significant correlations between concentrations of Zn, Ca, Al, Cu, Mg, Se, and Sr and semen parameters in various body fluids. ..
- Stasiak K, Glogowski J, Demianowicz W, Kowalski R, Nowak Tkaczyk A, Janicki B. Use of biochemical markers to evaluate the quality of fresh and cryopreserved semen from the arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus). Pol J Vet Sci. 2014;17:427-32 pubmed..In addition, several significant relationships were found between some indicators of semen quality and plasma and/or supernatant enzyme activity. ..
- Yan L, Liu J, Wu S, Zhang S, Ji G, Gu A. Seminal superoxide dismutase activity and its relationship with semen quality and SOD gene polymorphism. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2014;31:549-54 pubmed..8?±?93.3 and 332.2?±?94.9, respectively, P?=?0.001). Seminal SOD activity and other factors influencing SOD activity play a role in determining sperm fertilization potential and male infertility. ..