Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diagnostic procedures involving immunoglobulin reactions.
- El Aswad B, Doenhoff M, El Hadidi A, Schwaeble W, Lynch N. Use of recombinant calreticulin and cercarial transformation fluid (CTF) in the serodiagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni. Immunobiology. 2011;216:379-85 pubmed publisher..CTF was substantially more specific than SEA for diagnosis in the endemic region, and less susceptible than SEA to cross-reacting antibody in the sera of controls with other protozoan and metazoan infections. ..
- Srividya G, Kulshrestha A, Singh R, Salotra P. Diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis: developments over the last decade. Parasitol Res. 2012;110:1065-78 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the recent developments in VL diagnostics, drawing attention towards the need for standardization of the diagnostics across the affected regions. ..
- Papa A, Karabaxoglou D, Kansouzidou A. Acute West Nile virus neuroinvasive infections: cross-reactivity with dengue virus and tick-borne encephalitis virus. J Med Virol. 2011;83:1861-5 pubmed publisher..There is a need for caution when evaluating serologic results of flaviviral infections, while efforts have to be focused on the development of diagnostic assays with increased specificity. ..
- Varghese A, Raina O, Nagar G, Garg R, Banerjee P, Maharana B, et al. Development of cathepsin-L cysteine proteinase based Dot-enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infection in buffaloes. Vet Parasitol. 2012;183:382-5 pubmed publisher..The present Dot-ELISA diagnostic assay is relevant to the field diagnosis of F. gigantica infection in buffaloes. ..
- Afonso A, Ebell M, Tarleton R. A systematic review of high quality diagnostic tests for Chagas disease. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1881 pubmed publisher..To avoid associated spectrum bias, our analysis was limited to cohort studies...
- Escadafal C, Avsic Zupanc T, Vapalahti O, Niklasson B, Teichmann A, Niedrig M, et al. Second external quality assurance study for the serological diagnosis of hantaviruses in Europe. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1607 pubmed publisher..Uneven performances using the same method is indicating that there is still a need for improving testing conditions and standardizing protocols. ..
- Dowdy D, Steingart K, Pai M. Serological testing versus other strategies for diagnosis of active tuberculosis in India: a cost-effectiveness analysis. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1001074 pubmed publisher..These data informed a recently published World Health Organization policy statement against serological tests. ..
- Ledermann J, Lorono Pino M, Ellis C, Saxton Shaw K, Blitvich B, Beaty B, et al. Evaluation of widely used diagnostic tests to detect West Nile virus infections in horses previously infected with St. Louis encephalitis virus or dengue virus type 2. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011;18:580-7 pubmed publisher..Of great importance, we demonstrated that timing of sample collection and the need for multiple samples are important, as the infecting etiology could be misdiagnosed if only a single sample is tested...
- Grossmann K, Roggenbuck D, Schröder C, Conrad K, Schierack P, Sack U. Multiplex assessment of non-organ-specific autoantibodies with a novel microbead-based immunoassay. Cytometry A. 2011;79:118-25 pubmed publisher..Multicolor fluorescence analyses with pattern detection algorithms provide a common platform technique for both the screening of ANA by cell-based IIF and specific antibody assessment by multiplex detection. ..
- Riazi M, Abdul Rani B, Fairuz A, Zainul F. A low molecular weight lipopolysaccharide antigen preparation reactive to acute leptospirosis heterologous sera. Trop Biomed. 2010;27:241-53 pubmed..This study showed that the 10-15 kDa antigen could potentially be useful for serodiagnosis of acute leptospirosis in Malaysia. ..
- Shi L, Li F, Lu J, Kong X, Wang S, Huang M, et al. Antibody specific to thioredoxin reductase as a new biomarker for serodiagnosis of invasive aspergillosis in non-neutropenic patients. Clin Chim Acta. 2012;413:938-43 pubmed publisher..9% and 96%, respectively, while the sensitivity of GM in this group of patients was only 52.3%. The specificity of the assay was confirmed by testing the sera from patients infected with other pathogenic fungal species and bacteria. ..
- Kim T, Kim H, Lee S, Oh C, Choi K, Lin K, et al. Molecular cloning and expression of the VK247 circumsporozoite protein for serodiagnosis of variant form Plasmodium vivax. Parasitol Res. 2011;108:1275-82 pubmed publisher..vivax in western blot analysis. Therefore, this recombinant protein might be a useful tool in serodiagnosis of malaria patients who have been infected with variant form of P. vivax. ..
- Chao D, Cheng K, Li T, Wu T, Chen C, Tsai C, et al. Serological evidence of subclinical transmission of the 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus outside of Mexico. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14555 pubmed publisher..Although without virological confirmation, our data raise the question of whether there was substantial pH1N1 transmission in Taiwan before June, when clinical cases were first detected by the surveillance network. ..
- Krolewiecki A, Ramanathan R, Fink V, McAuliffe I, Cajal S, Won K, et al. Improved diagnosis of Strongyloides stercoralis using recombinant antigen-based serologies in a community-wide study in northern Argentina. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:1624-30 pubmed publisher..NIE-LIPS compares favorably against the current CrAg-ELISA and stool evaluation, providing additional accuracy and ease of performance in the serodiagnosis of S. stercoralis infections irrespective of disease prevalence...
- Sena A, White B, Sparling P. Novel Treponema pallidum serologic tests: a paradigm shift in syphilis screening for the 21st century. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;51:700-8 pubmed publisherThe mainstay of diagnosis for Treponema pallidum infections is based on nontreponemal and treponemal serologic tests. Many new diagnostic methods for syphilis have been developed, using specific treponemal antigens and novel formats, ..
- Steingart K, Flores L, Dendukuri N, Schiller I, Laal S, Ramsay A, et al. Commercial serological tests for the diagnosis of active pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1001062 pubmed publisher..Quality of evidence remains very low. These data informed a recently published World Health Organization policy statement against serological tests. Please see later in the article for the Editors' Summary. ..
- Rigon A, Buzzulini F, Soda P, Onofri L, Arcarese L, Iannello G, et al. Novel opportunities in automated classification of antinuclear antibodies on HEp-2 cells. Autoimmun Rev. 2011;10:647-52 pubmed publisher..Our data represent a first step to validate the use of Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD), thus offering an opportunity for standardizing and automatizing the detection of ANA by IIF. ..
- Zhang W, Rogniaux H, Huang W, Chauvin A, Moreau E. Analysis of thioredoxin peroxidase as a promising antigen for diagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infection: a preliminary study. Parasitol Int. 2011;60:206-8 pubmed publisher..gigantica but not by healthy animals. ..
- Nunn F, Burgess S, Innocent G, Nisbet A, Bates P, Huntley J. Development of a serodiagnostic test for sheep scab using recombinant protein Pso o 2. Mol Cell Probes. 2011;25:212-8 pubmed publisher..93 and specificity of 0.90. The Pso o 2-based ELISA was able to detect specific antibodies to P. ovis during early experimental infestation prior to disease patency, indicating its utility for detecting sub-clinical infestation...
- Veguilla V, Hancock K, Schiffer J, Gargiullo P, Lu X, Aranio D, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of serologic assays for detection of human infection with 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus in U.S. populations. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:2210-5 pubmed publisher..S. populations during the first pandemic waves. These studies provide an approach to optimize timely serological investigations for future pandemics or outbreaks of novel influenza viruses among humans. ..
- Knaute D, Graf N, Lautenschlager S, Weber R, Bosshard P. Serological response to treatment of syphilis according to disease stage and HIV status. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:1615-22 pubmed publisher..Serology is the mainstay for syphilis diagnosis and treatment monitoring. We investigated serological response to treatment of syphilis according to disease stage and HIV status...
- Kotresha D, Noordin R. Recombinant proteins in the diagnosis of toxoplasmosis. APMIS. 2010;118:529-42 pubmed publisher..Thus in this review, we address recent advances in the use of Toxoplasma recombinant proteins for serodiagnosis of toxoplasmosis. ..
- Washburn K, Bissett W, Waldron D, Fajt V. Serologic and bacteriologic culture prevalence of Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis infection in goats and sheep and use of Bayesian analysis to determine value of assay results for prediction of future infection. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2013;242:997-1002 pubmed publisher
- Ou L, Lv Q, Wu C, Hao H, Zheng Y, Jiang Y. Development of a lateral flow immunochromatographic assay for rapid detection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae-specific IgM in human serum specimens. J Microbiol Methods. 2016;124:35-40 pubmed publisher..The overall consistency rate was 96.37% with a Kappa value of 0.842 (p<0.001). The LFIA in the current study may be a sensitive and specific approach to detect early MP infection rapidly and conveniently. ..
- Braun U, Reichle S, Reichert C, Hassig M, Stalder H, Bachofen C, et al. Sheep persistently infected with Border disease readily transmit virus to calves seronegative to BVD virus. Vet Microbiol. 2014;168:98-104 pubmed publisher..The ease of viral transmission from sheep to cattle and the antigenic similarity of bovine and ovine pestiviruses may become a problem for demonstrating freedom of BVD by serology in the cattle population. ..
- Bala M, Singh V, Muralidhar S, Ramesh V. Assessment of reactivity of three treponemal tests in non-treponemal non-reactive cases from sexually transmitted diseases clinic, antenatal clinic, integrated counselling and testing centre, other different outdoor patient departments/indoor patient. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2013;31:275-9 pubmed publisher..The findings highlight that a suitable treponemal confirmatory test should be performed in all the diagnostic laboratories. ..
- Dickeson D, Chen S, Sintchenko V. Concordance of four commercial enzyme immunoassay and three immunoblot formats for the detection of Lyme borreliosis antibodies in human serum: the two-tier approach remains. Pathology. 2016;48:251-6 pubmed publisher..Second tier WCS western immunoblots offer high PPVs, especially with added specific purified proteins, more so than in one recombinant line blot. ..
- Buddle B, Wilson T, Luo D, Voges H, Linscott R, Martel E, et al. Evaluation of a commercial enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis from milk samples from dairy cows. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:1812-6 pubmed publisher..However, screening of milk vat samples is unlikely to be useful in countries with low prevalences of M. bovis in cattle and large herd sizes. ..
- Weitzner E, Visintainer P, Wormser G. Impact of patient age on clinical features, serologic test reactivity and long-term outcome of culture-confirmed early Lyme disease. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;89:300-302 pubmed publisher..Not unexpectedly, older patients had more comorbidities during long-term follow-up. ..
- Persichetti M, Solano Gallego L, Vullo A, Masucci M, Marty P, Delaunay P, et al. Diagnostic performance of ELISA, IFAT and Western blot for the detection of anti-Leishmania infantum antibodies in cats using a Bayesian analysis without a gold standard. Parasit Vectors. 2017;10:119 pubmed publisher..The overall performance of all serological techniques was good and the most accurate test for anti-Leishmania antibody detection in feline serum samples was WB. ..
- San Martín H, Balanda M, Vergara N, Valenzuela M, Cartier L, Ayala S, et al. Human T-Lymphotropic Virus Type 1 and 2 Seroprevalence among first-time blood donors in Chile, 2011-2013. J Med Virol. 2016;88:1067-75 pubmed publisher..Blood center data may contribute to surveillance for HTLV-1 and HTLV-2 infections. ..
- Ranjan R, Narnaware S, Nath K, Sawal R, Patil N. Rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis in dromedary camel (Camelus dromedarius) using lateral flow assay-based kit. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2018;50:907-910 pubmed publisher..Results of the present study indicated that serological tests like rapid assay kit can serve as a reliable test for antemortem diagnosis of tuberculosis in dromedary camel. ..
- Hop H, Arayan L, Simborio H, Reyes A, Min W, Lee H, et al. An evaluation of ELISA using recombinant Brucella abortus bacterioferritin (Bfr) for bovine brucellosis. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;45:16-9 pubmed publisher..The accuracy, specificity and sensitivity of rBfr showed 89.09%, 93.6% and 85.33%, respectively. These findings suggest that rBfr might be a good candidate for serological diagnosis development of bovine brucellosis. ..
- Kroten A, Toczylowski K, Kiziewicz B, Oldak E, Sulik A. Environmental contamination with Toxocara eggs and seroprevalence of toxocariasis in children of northeastern Poland. Parasitol Res. 2016;115:205-9 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need to introduce and promote preventive health measures to limit spread of toxocariasis. ..
- Neumayr A, Ollague J, Bravo F, Gotuzzo E, Jimenez P, Norton S, et al. Cross-Reactivity Pattern of Asian and American Human Gnathostomiasis in Western Blot Assays Using Crude Antigens Prepared from Gnathostoma spinigerum and Gnathostoma binucleatum Third-Stage Larvae. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016;95:413-6 pubmed publisher..Confirmation of the clinical diagnosis relies largely on serologic tests, with a G. spinigerum-antigen-based immunoblot currently being the diagnostic method of choice...
- Zhao X, Cheng S, Zheng M, Li L, Zhu J, Ning T. [Study of auxiliary diagnostic value of viral load test for samples with indeterminate HIV antibody detection results]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2016;37:992-5 pubmed publisher..The viral load test was effective in the auxiliary diagnosis of HIV infection in window phase, which can be used for the samples with indeterminate HIV antibody detection results. ..
- Egea Guerrero J, Revuelto Rey J, Gordillo Escobar E, Rodriguez Rodriguez A, Enamorado Enamorado J, Ruíz de Azúa López Z, et al. Serologic behavior of S100B protein in patients who are brain dead: preliminary results. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:3569-72 pubmed publisher..We also found that the cause of BD development must be considered. Specifically, S100B serum levels in severe isolated TBI patients-with clinical exploration compatible with BD-could be used in a future as confirmatory test. ..
- Mehta P, Dahiya B, Sharma S, Singh N, Dharra R, Thakur Z, et al. Immuno-PCR, a new technique for the serodiagnosis of tuberculosis. J Microbiol Methods. 2017;139:218-229 pubmed publisher..In this review, we have described the serodiagnostic potential of I-PCR assays for an early diagnosis of TB based on the detection of potential mycobacterial antigens and circulating antibodies in body fluids of TB patients. ..
- Biscay P, Ralazamahaleo M, Lazaro E, Richez C, Seneschal J, Rigothier C, et al. [Relevance assessment of requests for antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies detection: Retrospective study led in Bordeaux Hospital, France]. Rev Med Interne. 2017;38:656-662 pubmed publisher..The majority of the requests for detection of ANCA was not relevant and could not lead to the diagnosis of AAV. Simple solutions enabled a partial but significant improvement of their relevance. ..
- Marmor S, Bauer T, Desplaces N, Heym B, Roux A, Sol O, et al. Multiplex Antibody Detection for Noninvasive Genus-Level Diagnosis of Prosthetic Joint Infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2016;54:1065-73 pubmed publisher..This new multiplex immunoassay approach is a novel noninvasive tool to evaluate patients suspected of having PJIs and provides information complementary to that from inflammatory marker values. ..
- Li Y, Sun Y, Gu X, Xie Y, Lai W, Jing B, et al. Prokaryotic Expression and Serodiagnostic Potential of Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase and Thioredoxin Peroxidase from Baylisascaris schroederi. Genes (Basel). 2017;8: pubmed publisher..7%. Thus, B. schroederi Tpx is unsuitable as a diagnostic antigen for baylisascariasis, but B. schroederi GAPDH is a good candidate diagnostic antigen for B. schroederi in pandas. ..
- Rouzet A, Reboux G, Dalphin J, De Vuyst P, Laboissière A, Valot B, et al. Usefulness of à la carte antigens for bird fancier's lung serodiagnosis: total dropping extract and/or dropping's microflora antigens. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:1467-1470 pubmed publisher..Otherwise, the microorganisms antigens issued from dropping flora were negative in 93?% of cases. Consequently, it's preferable to use the total extract from the patient's bird droppings to establish the serodiagnosis of the disease. ..
- Parker I, Price K, Singletary T, Srinivasan P, Smith J, Curtis K. A multiplex assay for detection of SHIV plasma and mucosal IgG and IgA. J Immunol Methods. 2017;450:34-40 pubmed publisher..This SHIV assay elucidates IgG/IgA antibody kinetics in the plasma and vaginal mucosa and will be a valuable tool in vaccine and other biomedical intervention studies in the nonhuman primate model. ..
- Chotun N, Preiser W, van Rensburg C, Fernandez P, Theron G, Glebe D, et al. Point-of-care screening for hepatitis B virus infection in pregnant women at an antenatal clinic: A South African experience. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181267 pubmed publisher..It has acceptable performance, is inexpensive, reliable, and was well accepted by the study participants. Screening pregnant women as part of the HBV MTCT prevention strategy is therefore feasible in a South African clinical setting. ..
- Antunes A, Halasa T, Lauritsen K, Kristensen C, Larsen L, Toft N. Spatial analysis and temporal trends of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome in Denmark from 2007 to 2010 based on laboratory submission data. BMC Vet Res. 2015;11:303 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, relative risk distribution maps revealed different patterns over time as a consequence of the changes in seroprevalence. ..
- Miller M, Buss P, de Klerk Lorist L, Hofmeyr J, Hausler G, Lyashchenko K, et al. Application of Rapid Serologic Tests for Detection of Mycobacterium bovis Infection in Free-Ranging Warthogs (Phacochoerus africanus)--Implications for Antemortem Disease Screening. J Wildl Dis. 2016;52:180-2 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates the potential use of serodiagnostic tests for M. bovis infection in this species. ..
- Schvartz G, Epp T, Burgess H, Chilton N, Lohmann K. Comparison between available serologic tests for detecting antibodies against Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi in horses in Canada. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2015;27:540-6 pubmed publisherTo investigate the agreement between available serologic tests for the detection of antibodies against Anaplasma phagocytophilum and Borrelia burgdorferi, 50 serum samples from horses of unknown clinical status and at low risk for ..
- Martínez Calle N, Pascual I, Rubio M, Carias R, del Pozo J, Yuste J. Asymptomatic Schistosoma haematobium infection in a traveler with negative urine microscopy and late seroconversion presumably linked to artemisinin. J Travel Med. 2013;20:326-8 pubmed publisher..The patient was successfully treated with praziquantel. Difficulties in making the diagnosis of schistosomiasis in asymptomatic returning travelers are discussed; we propose a trial treatment in these cases. ..