Genomes and Genes
Summary: Methods of preparing tissue for examination and study of the origin, structure, function, or pathology.
- Sabarense C, Rocha K, Rosa D, Martins J, Pereira M, Silva F, et al. A new computational method for hepatic fat microvesicles counting in histological study in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;418:284-9 pubmed publisher..The use of algorithms for analysis and image processing is a sensitive, precise, objective and reproducible method of quantifying hepatic fat microvesicles, which complements semi-quantitative histologic evaluation systems. ..
- Kondo H, Onuma M, Shibuya H, Sato T, Abbott J. Atypical fibrosarcomas derived from cutaneous ganglion cell-like cells in 2 domestic Djungarian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus). J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2011;50:523-5 pubmed..We diagnosed the tumors as atypical fibrosarcomas and consider them an unusual malignant counterpart of atypical fibroma. ..
- Zanardo V, Peruzzetto C, Trevisanuto D, Cavallin F, Vedovato S, Straface G, et al. Relationship between the neonatal white blood cell count and histologic chorioamnionitis in preterm newborns. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012;25:2769-72 pubmed publisher..80; specificity: 0.88). The cut-off value based on the ROC curve was 10 (x10(9)/l). WBC count in the third day of life is strongly associated with HCA. ..
- Shahmirzadi D, Bruck H, Hsieh A. Quantifying the interfibrillar spacing and fibrillar orientation of the aortic extracellular matrix using histology image processing: toward multiscale modeling. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013;60:1171-80 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study could pave the way for more rigorous modeling of structure-property relationships in soft tissues, with implications extendable to cardiovascular constitutive modeling and tissue engineering. ..
- Godwin J, Pinto A, Rosenthal N. Macrophages are required for adult salamander limb regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:9415-20 pubmed publisher..Promotion of a regeneration-permissive environment by identification of macrophage-derived therapeutic molecules may therefore aid in the regeneration of damaged body parts in adult mammals. ..
- Houle C. Neuropathology standards: what constitutes an optimal histomorphologic evaluation of the nervous system in general toxicity studies. Toxicol Pathol. 2011;39:1010-2 pubmed publisher..Two techniques in particular that are commonly recommended to help facilitate the detection of neuropathologic lesions are perfusion fixation and the Fluoro-Jade stain. ..
- Woolford L, de Lahunta A, Baiker K, Dobson E, Summers B. Ventricular and extraventricular ependymal tumors in 18 cats. Vet Pathol. 2013;50:243-51 pubmed publisher..This cohort study of feline ependymal tumors includes subependymoma and primary extraventricular ependymoma, variants not previously described in the veterinary literature but well recognized in humans...
- Yoshimatsu Y, Lee Y, Akatsu Y, Taguchi L, Suzuki H, Cunha S, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein-9 inhibits lymphatic vessel formation via activin receptor-like kinase 1 during development and cancer progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:18940-5 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a unique molecular basis for the physiological and pathological roles of BMP-9/ALK-1 signals in LV formation. ..
- Bartels P, Bartels H. Classification in karyometry: performance testing and prediction error. Anal Quant Cytopathol Histpathol. 2013;35:181-8 pubmed..It is this assumption that in quantitative histopathology has to be carefully verified before a clinically generally valid classification procedure can be claimed. ..
- Iijima K, Abe Y, Koike T, Uno K, Endo H, Hatta W, et al. Gastric cancers emerging after H. pylori eradication arise exclusively from non-acid-secreting areas. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2012;226:45-53 pubmed..Identification of such high-risk areas should be a promising approach for estimating the individual cancer risk after eradication. ..
- Bo Z, Hedrick B, Chunling G, Tumarkin Deratzian A, Fengjiao Z, Caizhi S, et al. Histologic Examination of an Assemblage of Psittacosaurus (Dinosauria: Ceratopsia) Juveniles From the Yixian Formation (Liaoning, China). Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2016;299:601-12 pubmed publisher..More studies of ornithischian histology are necessary in order to better establish phylogenetic trends in microstructure and to learn more about growth in this important clade. ..
- Miszkiewicz J, Mahoney P. Ancient Human Bone Microstructure in Medieval England: Comparisons between Two Socio-Economic Groups. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2016;299:42-59 pubmed publisher..Results demonstrate that aspects of ancient human lifestyle can be inferred from bone microstructure. ..
- Thomas A, Patterson N, Marcinkiewicz M, Lazaris A, Metrakos P, Chaurand P. Histology-driven data mining of lipid signatures from multiple imaging mass spectrometry analyses: application to human colorectal cancer liver metastasis biopsies. Anal Chem. 2013;85:2860-6 pubmed publisher..This comprehensive approach is thus of interest for defining disease signatures directly from IMS data sets by the use of combinatory data mining, opening novel routes of investigation for addressing the demands of the clinical setting. ..
- Kim B, Oh H, Park J, Kim D, Ahn S, Han K, et al. Early on-treatment change in liver stiffness predicts development of liver-related events in chronic hepatitis B patients receiving antiviral therapy. Liver Int. 2013;33:180-9 pubmed publisher..Stratified LS values based on Laennec system and dynamic changes in LS values on follow-up may be helpful in assessing risk of LREs in subjects with HBV-related advanced liver fibrosis receiving antiviral therapy. ..
- Chekroud K, Guillou L, Gregoire S, Ducharme G, Brun E, Cazevieille C, et al. Fatp1 deficiency affects retinal light response and dark adaptation, and induces age-related alterations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50231 pubmed publisher..These anomalies lead us to speculate that the absence of FATP1 accelerates the aging process. ..
- Ling X, Spaeth E, Chen Y, Shi Y, Zhang W, Schober W, et al. The CXCR4 antagonist AMD3465 regulates oncogenic signaling and invasiveness in vitro and prevents breast cancer growth and metastasis in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58426 pubmed publisher..This process appears to be regulated, at least in part, through the modulation of oncogenic signaling that includes the STAT3 pathway. Thus, CXCR4 could be a novel target for breast cancer therapy. ..
- Reed M, Damodarasamy M, Chan C, Johnson M, Wight T, Vernon R. Cleavage of hyaluronan is impaired in aged dermal wounds. Matrix Biol. 2013;32:45-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that decreased cleavage of HA is an additional component of impaired dermal wound healing in aging...
- Oliveira J, Oliveira M, Kress W, Taipa R, Pires M, Hilbert P, et al. Expanding the MTM1 mutational spectrum: novel variants including the first multi-exonic duplication and development of a locus-specific database. Eur J Hum Genet. 2013;21:540-9 pubmed publisher..It is thus conceivable that large duplications in MTM1 may account for a number of CNM cases that have remained genetically unresolved. ..
- Baba A, Yamazoe S, Dogru M, Ogawa M, Takamatsu K, Miyauchi J. Clear cell adenocarcinoma arising from adenomyotic cyst: A case report and literature review. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2016;42:217-23 pubmed publisher..Clear cell carcinoma association should be suspected in patients who are under follow-up for uterine myomas and present with cystic uterine changes with solid component on magnetic resonance imaging or computed tomography scans. ..
- Murakami T, Kobayashi Y, Chiba S, Kurauchi Y, Sakamoto H, Sasaki M, et al. Humeral chondrosarcoma in a Hokkaido brown bear (Ursus arctos yesoensis). J Vet Med Sci. 2012;74:1195-7 pubmed..The tumor cells were positively immunostained with vimentin and S-100 protein. Based on these findings, the tumors were diagnosed as chondrosarcoma. Metastases were found in the left axillary lymph node, lungs, liver and kidney. ..
- Linnes M, Krambeck A, Cornell L, Williams J, Korinek M, Bergstralh E, et al. Phenotypic characterization of kidney stone formers by endoscopic and histological quantification of intrarenal calcification. Kidney Int. 2013;84:818-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, tubular plugging may be more common than previously recognized among patients with all types of stones, including some with idiopathic calcium oxalate stones. ..
- Jisha S, Sreeja S, Manjula S. In vitro & in vivo estrogenic activity of glycoside fractions of Solanum nigrum fruit. Indian J Med Res. 2011;134:369-74 pubmed..Our preliminary data demonstrate the hormone like activity of Solanum glycosides both in vitro and in vivo in mouse, which needs to be further explored to evaluate the possible mechanism and clinical implications. ..
- Dian D, Lenhard M, Mayr D, Heublein S, Karsten U, Goletz S, et al. Staining of MUC1 in ovarian cancer tissues with PankoMab-GEX detecting the tumour-associated epitope, TA-MUC1, as compared to antibodies HMFG-1 and 115D8. Histol Histopathol. 2013;28:239-44 pubmed publisher..The findings are encouraging with respect to a potential use of PankoMab-GEX as a new therapeutic antibody for the treatment of ovarian cancer patients. ..
- Nelson K, Daniels G, Fournie J, Hemmer M. Optimization of whole-body zebrafish sectioning methods for mass spectrometry imaging. J Biomol Tech. 2013;24:119-27 pubmed publisher..The optimized methods developed in our laboratory produced high-quality cryosections, as well as high-quality mass spectral images of sectioned ZF. ..
- Ota K, Fujimoto S, Oisi Y, Kuratani S. Late development of hagfish vertebral elements. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2013;320:129-39 pubmed publisher..We propose that hagfishes and gnathostomes share conserved developmental mechanisms not only in their somite differentiation, but also in chondrogenesis of their vertebral elements. ..
- Willems M, van der Vliet J, Lomme R, Hendriks T. Tacrolimus does not affect early wound healing in a rodent model of bowel anastomoses and abdominal wall closure. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76348 pubmed publisher..In addition, no consistent differences were found between groups regarding wound hydroxyproline content and the activities of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9. Tacrolimus does not affect early wound healing. ..
- Ito K, Morimoto J, Kihara A, Matsui Y, Kurotaki D, Kanayama M, et al. Integrin ?9 on lymphatic endothelial cells regulates lymphocyte egress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:3080-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, manipulating ?9 integrin function may offer a therapeutic strategy for treating various inflammatory disorders. ..
- Nakakoshi M, Nishioka H, Katayama E. New versatile staining reagents for biological transmission electron microscopy that substitute for uranyl acetate. J Electron Microsc (Tokyo). 2011;60:401-7 pubmed publisher..They were not as effective as a fixative of protein assembly, reflecting the non-hazardous nature of the reagents. ..
- Munster M, Bilzer T, Dettmann K, Horauf A, Vieth M. Assessment of the histological quality of endoscopic biopsies obtained from the canine gastro-esophageal junction. Tierarztl Prax Ausg K Kleintiere Heimtiere. 2012;40:318-24 pubmed
- Jean S, Preuss T, Sharma P, Anderson D, Provenzale J, Strobert E, et al. Cerebrovascular accident (stroke) in captive, group-housed, female chimpanzees. Comp Med. 2012;62:322-9 pubmed..Predisposing factors, diagnosis, and treatment options of cerebral vascular accident in the captive chimpanzee population are discussed also. ..
- Oliva M, Vicente Martorell J, Galindo Riaño M, Perales J. Histopathological alterations in Senegal sole, Solea Senegalensis, from a polluted Huelva estuary (SW, Spain). Fish Physiol Biochem. 2013;39:523-45 pubmed publisher..Statistical analysis using semiquantitative data on pathological lesions can help to establish correlation between cause (stressor) and effect (biomarker). ..
- Katouzian A, Karamalis A, Sheet D, Konofagou E, Baseri B, Carlier S, et al. Iterative self-organizing atherosclerotic tissue labeling in intravascular ultrasound images and comparison with virtual histology. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2012;59:3039-49 pubmed publisher..We conclude that proposed framework is a formidable approach for retrieving imperative information regarding tissues and building a reliable training dataset for supervised classification and its extension for in vivo applications. ..
- Rodríguez Antolín J, Nicolás L, Cuevas E, Bravo I, Castelán F, Martínez Gómez M. Morphological characteristics of the cervix in domestic sows. Anat Sci Int. 2012;87:195-202 pubmed publisher..This study contributes to the understanding of the morphologic features of the porcine cervix. ..
- Qin S, Liu M, Niu W, Zhang C. Dysregulation of Kruppel-like factor 4 during brain development leads to hydrocephalus in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:21117-21 pubmed publisher..The ventricular cilia, vital for cerebrospinal fluid flow, are also disrupted in the mutant mice. These results indicate that down-regulation of KLF4 is critical for neural development and its dysregulation may lead to hydrocephalus. ..
- Carbayo F, Lenihan J. Micro-computed tomography scan and virtual histological slide data for the land planarian Obama otavioi (Platyhelminthes). Gigascience. 2016;5:13 pubmed publisher..The image sets, ?CT-based images and digitized histological slides can be disseminated without the constraints of specimen loans. ..
- Gallagher R, Schafer G, Redick M, Inciradi M, Smith W, Fan F, et al. Microcalcifications of the breast: a mammographic-histologic correlation study using a newly designed Path/Rad Tissue Tray. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012;16:196-201 pubmed publisher..It improved diagnostic reliability, encouraged communication between pathologists and radiologists, and minimized false diagnoses and/or delays in cancer diagnosis. ..
- Hübner T. Bone histology in Dysalotosaurus lettowvorbecki (Ornithischia: Iguanodontia)--variation, growth, and implications. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e29958 pubmed publisher..Dysalotosaurus provides an excellent case study for examining variation in bone microstructure and life history and helps to unravel the still mysterious growth pattern of small ornithopods...
- Patterson M, Seregin A, Huang C, Kolokoltsova O, Smith J, Miller M, et al. Rescue of a recombinant Machupo virus from cloned cDNAs and in vivo characterization in interferon (??/?) receptor double knockout mice. J Virol. 2014;88:1914-23 pubmed publisher..In addition, we have identified a novel murine model with mortality and neurological disease similar to BHF disease reported in humans and nonhuman primates. ..
- Weisbecker V. Distortion in formalin-fixed brains: using geometric morphometrics to quantify the worst-case scenario in mice. Brain Struct Funct. 2012;217:677-85 pubmed publisher..Fixation effects relatively wider and stouter brain dimensions, except the cerebellum whose shape changes less. Evidence from the literature suggests that this pattern may be common to mammals due to structural commonalities. ..
- Gensel J, Tovar C, Bresnahan J, Beattie M. Topiramate treatment is neuroprotective and reduces oligodendrocyte loss after cervical spinal cord injury. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33519 pubmed publisher..In addition, topiramate is more effective than the AMPA-receptor antagonist, NBQX. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report documenting a neuroprotective effect of topiramate treatment after spinal cord injury...
- Duitman J, Schouten M, Groot A, Borensztajn K, Daalhuisen J, Florquin S, et al. CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein ? facilitates bacterial dissemination during pneumococcal pneumonia in a platelet-activating factor receptor-dependent manner. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:9113-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, C/EBP? exaggerates bacterial dissemination during Streptococcus pneumoniae-induced pulmonary infection, suggesting an important role for PAFR-dependent bacterial translocation. ..
- Susta L, Uhl E, Grosenbaugh D, Krimer P. Synovial lesions in experimental canine Lyme borreliosis. Vet Pathol. 2012;49:453-61 pubmed publisher..12. Complete blood count, serum biochemistry, urinalysis, urine protein:creatinine, urine PCR, synovial and lymph node cytology, and synovial PCR were evaluated but were not reliable indicators of clinical disease. ..
- Yang L, Feng B, Li Z, Xiao Z, Yang Y. [Histological analysis of the anterior lobe region in transurethral prostatectomy]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2012;18:1083-7 pubmed
- Llanos C, Blieden C, Vernon S. Processing radical prostatectomies: an alternate-slice method is comparable with total embedding. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2012;16:284-7 pubmed publisher..9%. There was complete correlation in margin status and perineural invasion. Pathologic staging correlation was 97.9%. In summary, this alternate slice method compares very favorably with the total embedding method. ..
- Henderson K, Dole V, Parker N, Momtsios P, Banu L, Brouillette R, et al. Pneumocystis carinii causes a distinctive interstitial pneumonia in immunocompetent laboratory rats that had been attributed to "rat respiratory virus". Vet Pathol. 2012;49:440-52 pubmed publisher..carinii. These data provide substantial evidence that P. carinii causes IIP in immunocompetent rats...
- Okuyama M, Shimozuru M, Takahashi N, Fukui D, Nakamura R, Tsubota T. Seasonal changes in spermatogenesis and peripheral testosterone concentration in raccoons (Procyon lotor) in Hokkaido. J Vet Med Sci. 2012;74:727-32 pubmed..This individual variation in the inactive period is a feature of male raccoon reproduction and is unique among seasonally breeding mammals. ..