Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of CELLS of a specific kind, usually measured per unit volume or area of sample.
- Baker D, Dawlaty M, Wijshake T, Jeganathan K, Malureanu L, van Ree J, et al. Increased expression of BubR1 protects against aneuploidy and cancer and extends healthy lifespan. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:96-102 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data uncover a generalized function for BubR1 in counteracting defects that cause whole-chromosome instability and suggest that modulating BubR1 provides a unique opportunity to extend healthy lifespan...
- Zhao B, Chen S, Liu J, Yuan Z, Qi X, Qin J, et al. Cardiac telocytes were decreased during myocardial infarction and their therapeutic effects for ischaemic heart in rat. J Cell Mol Med. 2013;17:123-33 pubmed publisher..Rebuilding the cardiac telocyte network in the infarcted zone following MI may be beneficial for functional regeneration of the infarcted myocardium. ..
- Stoner R, Chow M, Boyle M, Sunkin S, Mouton P, Roy S, et al. Patches of disorganization in the neocortex of children with autism. N Engl J Med. 2014;370:1209-1219 pubmed publisher..Our data support a probable dysregulation of layer formation and layer-specific neuronal differentiation at prenatal developmental stages. (Funded by the Simons Foundation and others.). ..
- Coumans F, van Dalum G, Beck M, Terstappen L. Filter characteristics influencing circulating tumor cell enrichment from whole blood. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61770 pubmed publisher..While cell size is an important factor in determining recovery, other factors must be involved as well. To evaluate a filtration procedure, cell lines with a median size of 11-13 µm should be used to challenge the system. ..
- Archer S, Mc Coy F, Wapenaar W, Green M. Association between somatic cell count early in the first lactation and the longevity of Irish dairy cows. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:2939-50 pubmed publisherReduced longevity of cows is an important component of mastitis costs, and increased somatic cell count (SCC) early in the first lactation has been reported to increase culling risk throughout the first lactation...
- Dufour S, Dohoo I. Monitoring herd incidence of intramammary infection in lactating cows using repeated longitudinal somatic cell count measurements. J Dairy Sci. 2013;96:1568-80 pubmed publisher..ability of an estimate of the herd intramammary infection (IMI) incidence rate computed using repeated somatic cell count (SCC) measurements (quarter- and composite-SCC; hereafter, the SCC-derived herd IMI incidence, SCCI)to predict ..
- Wen L, Wen Y, Ke G, Sun S, Dong K, Wang L, et al. TRPV4 regulates migration and tube formation of human retinal capillary endothelial cells. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:38 pubmed publisher..TRPV4 is essential for HRCEC migration and tube formation, and maybe a potential therapeutic target for retinal vascular diseases. ..
- Mastropasqua R, Fasanella V, Brescia L, Oddone F, Mariotti C, Di Staso S, et al. In Vivo Confocal Imaging of the Conjunctiva as a Predictive Tool for the Glaucoma Filtration Surgery Outcome. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:BIO114-BIO120 pubmed publisher..IVCM of the conjunctiva may represent an imaging tool to predict the surgical success in glaucoma. ..
- Strijbis E, Kooi E, van der Valk P, Geurts J. Cortical Remyelination Is Heterogeneous in Multiple Sclerosis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2017;76:390-401 pubmed publisher..There does not seem to be a significant OPC recruitment failure in the GM, which casts new light on the process of remyelination failure. ..
- Kathrins M, Abhyankar N, Shoshany O, Liebermann J, Uhler M, Prins G, et al. Post-thaw recovery of rare or very low concentrations of cryopreserved human sperm. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1300-1304 pubmed publisher..Failure to retrieve any sperm after thawing of rare or very low concentrations of cryopreserved sperm is an infrequent event and largely limited to those patients with rare quantities of sperm. ..
- Aldrich B, Schlötzer Schrehardt U, Skeie J, Burckart K, Schmidt G, Reed C, et al. Mitochondrial and Morphologic Alterations in Native Human Corneal Endothelial Cells Associated With Diabetes Mellitus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2130-2138 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to determine the precise mechanism(s) by which mitochondria become impaired in diabetic corneal endothelial cells. ..
- Li N, Song Y, Zhao W, Han T, Lin S, Ramirez O, et al. Small interfering RNA targeting NF-?B attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats. BMC Physiol. 2016;16:7 pubmed publisher..NF-?B siRNA's rapidity and effectiveness to abrogate ALI development may provide an effective therapeutic method with future clinical applications. ..
- Alhussien M, Manjari P, Mohammed S, Sheikh A, Reddi S, Dixit S, et al. Incidence of mastitis and activity of milk neutrophils in Tharparkar cows reared under semi-arid conditions. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2016;48:1291-5 pubmed publisher..05) in both sub-clinical and mastitis cows. This study indicates that low producing TP cows are also prone to mammary infections when reared under semi-arid conditions. ..
- Dong C, Rovnaghi C, Anand K. Ketamine exposure during embryogenesis inhibits cellular proliferation in rat fetal cortical neurogenic regions. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2016;60:579-87 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that exposure to ketamine during embryogenesis can dose-dependently inhibit the cellular proliferation in neurogenic regions of the rat fetal cortex. ..
- Si Y, Chen Y, Chen S, Zheng Y, Liu X, Liu Y, et al. TLR4 drives the pathogenesis of acquired cholesteatoma by promoting local inflammation and bone destruction. Sci Rep. 2015;5:16683 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TLR4 may promote cholesteatoma-induced bone destruction and deafness by enhancing inflammatory responses and osteoclastogenesis. ..
- Singh L, Brennan T, Russell E, Kim J, Chen Q, Brad Johnson F, et al. Aging alters bone-fat reciprocity by shifting in vivo mesenchymal precursor cell fate towards an adipogenic lineage. Bone. 2016;85:29-36 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that aging alters bone-fat reciprocity and differentiation of mesenchymal progenitors towards an adipogenic fate. ..
- Castle J, Morris K, Pritchard S, Kirwan C. Challenges in enumeration of CTCs in breast cancer using techniques independent of cytokeratin expression. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175647 pubmed publisher..This work highlights the challenges in enumerating CTCs without conventional epithelial markers. ..
- Yan M, Liu Y, Shao W, Mao X, Yang M, Ye Z, et al. EGb761 improves histological and functional recovery in rats with acute spinal cord contusion injury. Spinal Cord. 2016;54:259-65 pubmed publisher..EGb761 administration during the acute phase after SCI significantly reduced secondary injury-induced tissue necrosis and cell apoptosis and improved functional performance in rats. ..
- Qu J, Tian L, Zhang X, Sun X. Early central and peripheral corneal microstructural changes in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients identified using in vivo confocal microscopy: A case-control study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7960 pubmed publisher..BEC density was the reliable index for evaluating the early condition of diabetic corneal epitheliopathy. The BEC density of the central and inferior corneal zones was more sensitive. ..
- Rubin L, Maki P, Springer G, Benning L, Anastos K, Gustafson D, et al. Cognitive trajectories over 4 years among HIV-infected women with optimal viral suppression. Neurology. 2017;89:1594-1603 pubmed publisher..05). Cognitive difficulties remain among HIV+ women despite persistent viral suppression. In some instances, VS women are worse than NVS women, reinforcing the need for novel adjunctive therapies to attenuate cognitive problems. ..
- Ju J, Wu J, Hou R. Role of the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway in estrogen-mediated protection following flap ischemia-reperfusion injury. Cell Biochem Funct. 2016;34:522-530 pubmed publisher..Therefore, estrogen may reduce the deleterious effect of I/R injury on skin flap transplantation through modulating the p38-MAPK pathway. ..
- Sato S, Rancourt A, Sato Y, Satoh M. Single-cell lineage tracking analysis reveals that an established cell line comprises putative cancer stem cells and their heterogeneous progeny. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23328 pubmed publisher..These cells have reduced reproductive ability, creating a functionally heterogeneous cell population. Hence, the HeLa cell line is maintained by the limited number of immortal cells, which could be putative cancer stem cells. ..
- Stebbing M, Balasubramanyan S, Smith P. Calbindin-D-28K like immunoreactivity in superficial dorsal horn neurons and effects of sciatic chronic constriction injury. Neuroscience. 2016;324:330-43 pubmed publisher..Since synaptic drive to Cal+ neurons is weak and there is no firm correlation between neuronal phenotype and calbindin expression, it is doubtful whether these neurons play a major role in the generation of central sensitization. ..
- Souza F, Piepers S, Della Libera A, Heinemann M, Cerqueira M, De Vliegher S. Interaction between bovine-associated coagulase-negative staphylococci species and strains and bovine mammary epithelial cells reflects differences in ecology and epidemiological behavior. J Dairy Sci. 2016;99:2867-2874 pubmed publisher..The observed differences might be related to their diversity in ecology and epidemiological behavior. ..
- Liu S, Cui B, Dai Z, Shi P, Wang Z, Guo Y. Long Non-coding RNA HOTAIR Promotes Parkinson's Disease Induced by MPTP Through up-regulating the Expression of LRRK2. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2016;13:115-20 pubmed..Moreover, the finding that HOTAIR promoted PD induced by MPTP through regulating LRRK2 expression could add our understanding of the molecular mechanisms in PD. ..
- Zhang Q, Cox M, Liang Z, Brinkmann F, Cardenas P, Duff R, et al. Airway Microbiota in Severe Asthma and Relationship to Asthma Severity and Phenotypes. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0152724 pubmed publisher..Whether these organisms are causative for the pathophysiology of asthma remains to be determined. ..
- Monahan A, Starz Gaiano M. Apontic regulates somatic stem cell numbers in Drosophila testes. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:5 pubmed publisher..We propose that Apt acts as a core component of a STAT-regulatory circuit to prevent stem cell overpopulation and allow stem cell maturation. ..
- Varela L, Schwartz M, Horvath T. Mitochondria controlled by UCP2 determine hypoxia-induced synaptic remodeling in the cortex and hippocampus. Neurobiol Dis. 2016;90:68-74 pubmed publisher..These observations establish that mitochondrial location controlled by UCP2 is relevant for adaptive responses of neurons in cortical and hippocampal neurons and are relevant to perinatal hypoxia-triggered circuit adaptations. ..
- Elsaadany M, Harris M, Yildirim Ayan E. Design and Validation of Equiaxial Mechanical Strain Platform, EQUicycler, for 3D Tissue Engineered Constructs. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:3609703 pubmed publisher..EQUicycler can provide an efficient and cost-effective tool to conduct mechanistic studies for tissue engineered constructs designed for tissue systems under mechanical loading in vivo. ..
- Sotta N, Shantikumar L, Sakamoto T, Matsunaga S, Fujiwara T. TPR5 is involved in directional cell division and is essential for the maintenance of meristem cell organization in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:2401-11 pubmed publisher..From this study, we concluded that TPR5 is involved in preventing the formation of micronuclei and is necessary for both the activity and directionality of cell division in root meristems. ..
- Hassan U, Watkins N, Reddy B, Damhorst G, Bashir R. Microfluidic differential immunocapture biochip for specific leukocyte counting. Nat Protoc. 2016;11:714-26 pubmed publisher..The biosensor production requires 24 h, a one-time cell capture optimization takes 6-9 h, and the final cell counting experiment in a laboratory environment requires 30 min to complete. ..
- Massard C, Borget I, Farace F, Aspeslagh S, Le Deley M, Le Tourneau C, et al. RECIST response and variation of circulating tumour cells in phase 1 trials: A prospective multicentric study. Eur J Cancer. 2017;83:185-193 pubmed publisher..An early CTC change following therapy does not correlate with RECIST response in patients with advanced cancer enrolled in phase I trials. ..
- Harting T, Stubbendorff M, Hammer S, Schadzek P, Ngezahayo A, Murua Escobar H, et al. Dichloroacetate affects proliferation but not apoptosis in canine mammary cell lines. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178744 pubmed publisher..Further, the effect on apoptosis and several apoptotic proteins, proliferation, and microRNA expression was evaluated. Dichloroacetate was found to reduce cell proliferation without inducing apoptosis in all examined cell lines. ..
- Samsa W, Vasanji A, Midura R, Kondratov R. Deficiency of circadian clock protein BMAL1 in mice results in a low bone mass phenotype. Bone. 2016;84:194-203 pubmed publisher..Our data support the role of the circadian clock in the regulation of bone homeostasis and shows that BMAL1 deficiency results in a low bone mass phenotype. ..
- Lowe R, Barber K, Wagner J, Bell Harlan A, Stover K. Ceftriaxone for the Treatment of Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia: A Case Series. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2017;8:140-144 pubmed publisher..Patients were evaluated for clinical cure (CC)(clearance of BSI and normalization of white blood cell count) and microbiological cure (MC)(clearance of blood cultures and no recurrence of organism within 60 days)...
- Liang J, Balachandra S, Ngo S, O Brien L. Feedback regulation of steady-state epithelial turnover and organ size. Nature. 2017;548:588-591 pubmed publisher..In this way, localized cell-cell communication gives rise to tissue-level homeostatic equilibrium and constant organ size...
- Surov A, Meyer H, Wienke A. Correlation Between Minimum Apparent Diffusion Coefficient (ADCmin) and Tumor Cellularity: A Meta-analysis. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3807-3810 pubmed..based on measure of water diffusion that can provide information about tissue microstructure, especially about cell count. Increase of cell density induces restriction of water diffusion and decreases apparent diffusion coefficient (..
- Liu Y, Qingjuan S, Gao Z, Deng C, Wang Y, Guo C. Circulating fibrocytes are involved in inflammation and leukocyte trafficking in neonates with necrotizing enterocolitis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7400 pubmed publisher..These cells may contribute to intestinal inflammation through TLR4 signaling by producing the TNF-? and IL-6 cytokines. ..
- Roberts T, Hisey E, Tanaka M, Kearney M, Chattree G, Yang C, et al. Identification of a motor-to-auditory pathway important for vocal learning. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:978-986 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a motor to auditory circuit essential to vocal imitation and to the adaptive modification of vocal timing. ..
- Abbott C, Kozanian O, Kanaan J, Wendel K, Huffman K. The Impact of Prenatal Ethanol Exposure on Neuroanatomical and Behavioral Development in Mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2016;40:122-33 pubmed publisher..Insight from this study will help provide new information on developmental trajectories of PrEE and the biological etiologies of abnormal behavior in people diagnosed with FASD. ..
- Heinzelmann S, BÃ¶hringer D, Eberwein P, Reinhard T, Maier P. Outcomes of Descemet membrane endothelial keratoplasty, Descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty and penetrating keratoplasty from a single centre study. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016;254:515-22 pubmed publisher..Including ocular comorbidities and learning curves, these data reflect a realistic setting for comparing the different keratoplasty techniques. Corneal surgeons may be encouraged to preferentially use DMEK in FED and BK. ..
- Fuest M, Salla S, Hermel M, Plum W, Rütten S, Plange N, et al. Gebauer SLc Original and Moria One-Use Plus automated microkeratomes for ultrathin Descemet's stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty preparation. Acta Ophthalmol. 2016;94:e731-e737 pubmed publisher..The SLc and the OUP system are both suited for the preparation of UT-DSAEK lamellae. Neither system differed significantly in variability, LSR or ECL, which did not increase during a 6-day incubation period. ..
- George B, Abrahamse H, Hemmaragala N. Caspase dependent apoptotic inhibition of melanoma and lung cancer cells by tropical Rubus extracts. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;80:193-199 pubmed publisher..The extract is more effective against melanoma; which may suggest the usefulness of RFRA-based anticancer therapies. ..
- Qi C, Shan Y, Wang J, Ding F, Zhao D, Yang T, et al. Circulating T helper 9 cells and increased serum interleukin-9 levels in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2016;43:528-34 pubmed publisher..Th9 cell numbers and IL-9 levels are correlated with OA patient symptoms and joint functionality and may be a marker of disease activity. ..
- Huang X, Schurman N, Handa K, Hakomori S. Functional role of glycosphingolipids in contact inhibition of growth in a human mammary epithelial cell line. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1918-1928 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that GSLs play functional roles in contact inhibition of these cells and that Merlin/NF2, a tumor suppressor protein, is involved in the GSL function. ..
- Einan Lifshitz A, Sorkin N, Boutin T, Showail M, Borovik A, Alobthani M, et al. Comparison of Femtosecond Laser-Enabled Descemetorhexis and Manual Descemetorhexis in Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty. Cornea. 2017;36:767-770 pubmed publisher..066). The mean endothelial cell count in the FE-DMEK and M-DMEK groups at 6 months after surgery were 2105 ± 285 cells per square millimeter (24% ..
- Hsu C, Chiang S, Chang Y, Chen Y, Yang D, Chen Y, et al. Lychee flower extract inhibits proliferation and viral replication of HSV-1-infected corneal epithelial cells. Mol Vis. 2016;22:129-37 pubmed..Therefore, in this study, we investigated the mechanism of the Statens Seruminstitut rabbit corneal (SIRC) epithelial cells infected by HSV-1 and examined the antiviral capabilities of LFE...
- Xiong J, Cui X, Yuan X, Yu X, Sun J, Gong Q. The Hippo/STE20 homolog SIK1 interacts with MOB1 to regulate cell proliferation and cell expansion in Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:1461-75 pubmed publisher..Our results pave the way for constructing a complete Hippo pathway that controls organ growth in higher plants. ..
- Boser S, Mauad T, Araújo Paulino B, Mitchell I, Shrestha G, Chiu A, et al. Myofibroblasts are increased in the lung parenchyma in asthma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182378 pubmed publisher..We conclude that in asthma there is a marked increase in ?-SMA+ myofibroblasts in the lung parenchyma. The physiologic consequences of this increase are unknown. ..
- Liu S, Liu H, Qin R, Shu Y, Liu Z, Zhang P, et al. The cellular senescence of leukemia-initiating cells from acute lymphoblastic leukemia is postponed by Î²-Arrestin1 binding with P300-Sp1 to regulate hTERT transcription. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2756 pubmed publisher..Our study shed a light on the senescence of B-ALL LICs and is regulated by Î²-Arrestin1, providing the potential therapeutic target of leukemia by promoting cellular senescence with a key region of hTERT promoter. ..
- Bornstein S, Moschetta M, Kawano Y, Sacco A, Huynh D, Brooks D, et al. Metformin Affects Cortical Bone Mass and Marrow Adiposity in Diet-Induced Obesity in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3369-3385 pubmed publisher..Obesity was not detrimental to trabecular bone in growing mice, but bone marrow medullary expansion was observed, likely resulting from inhibition of osteoblastogenesis, and this was partially reversed by metformin treatment. ..