dried blood spot testing
Summary: Techniques for using whole blood samples collected on filter paper for a variety of clinical laboratory tests.
- Waitt C, Diliiy Penchala S, Olagunju A, Amara A, Else L, Lamorde M, et al. Development, validation and clinical application of a method for the simultaneous quantification of lamivudine, emtricitabine and tenofovir in dried blood and dried breast milk spots using LC-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1060:300-307 pubmed publisher..DBS and DBMS sampling for bioanalysis of 3TC, FTC and TFV is straightforward, robust, accurate and precise, and ideal for use in low-resource settings. ..
- Fonseca A, Quintó L, Jiménez A, Gonzalez R, Bardaji A, Maculuve S, et al. Multiplexing detection of IgG against Plasmodium falciparum pregnancy-specific antigens. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181150 pubmed publisher..This platform provides a high-throughput approach to investigating correlates of protection and identifying serological markers of exposure for malaria in pregnancy. ..
- Hofmann A, Hauser A, Zimmermann R, Santos Hövener C, Bätzing Feigenbaum J, Wildner S, et al. Surveillance of recent HIV infections among newly diagnosed HIV cases in Germany between 2008 and 2014. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:484 pubmed publisher..We could observe ongoing HIV transmission in Germany in general and in different subgroups, and we could identify factors associated with recent HIV infection in Germany. ..
- Kahraman M, Laufer T, Backes C, Schrörs H, Fehlmann T, Ludwig N, et al. Technical Stability and Biological Variability in MicroRNAs from Dried Blood Spots: A Lung Cancer Therapy-Monitoring Showcase. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1476-1488 pubmed publisher..Biological variations exceeded technical variations significantly. DBS-based miRNA profiles will potentially further the translational character of miRNA biomarker studies. ..
- Drzymała Czyż S, Janich S, Klingler M, Demmelmair J, Walkowiak J, Koletzko B. Whole blood glycerophospholipids in dried blood spots - a reliable marker for the fatty acid status. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;207:1-9 pubmed publisher..3%±1.6). Whole blood GPL fatty acids are a robust biological marker for the fatty acid status of fasted and non-fasted subjects. The influence of very recent dietary intake on whole blood GPL is smaller than on whole blood total lipids. ..
- Zeh C, Ndiege K, Inzaule S, Achieng R, Williamson J, Chih Wei Chang J, et al. Evaluation of the performance of Abbott m2000 and Roche COBAS Ampliprep/COBAS Taqman assays for HIV-1 viral load determination using dried blood spots and dried plasma spots in Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179316 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that DBS and DPS may be reliably used as alternative specimens to plasma to measure HIV-1 VL using Abbott, and DPS may be reliably used with CAP/CTM in resource-limited settings. ..
- Liu Y, Yi F, Kumar A, Kumar Chennamaneni N, Hong X, Scott C, et al. Multiplex Tandem Mass Spectrometry Enzymatic Activity Assay for Newborn Screening of the Mucopolysaccharidoses and Type 2 Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis. Clin Chem. 2017;63:1118-1126 pubmed publisher..The new multiplex assay provides a robust comprehensive newborn screening assay for the mucopolysaccharidoses. The method has been expanded to include additional lysosomal storage diseases. ..
- Perera R, Ding X, Tully F, Oliver J, Bright N, Bell D, et al. Development and clinical performance of high throughput loop-mediated isothermal amplification for detection of malaria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0171126 pubmed publisher..8% (95% CI, 54.3-99.5) and 100% respectively. The HTP-LAMP system is a highly sensitive diagnostic test, with the potential to allow large scale population screening in malaria elimination campaigns. ..
- Yang J, Pearl M, Jacob P, DeLorenze G, Benowitz N, Yu L, et al. Levels of cotinine in dried blood specimens from newborns as a biomarker of maternal smoking close to the time of delivery. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:1648-54 pubmed publisher..3%) and specificity (99.7%) in the prediction of maternal active smoking. Cotinine levels in dried blood spots are an accurate biomarker of maternal smoking close to the time of delivery. ..
- Fujita M, Wander K. A test of the optimal iron hypothesis among breastfeeding Ariaal mothers in northern Kenya. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2017;164:586-597 pubmed publisher..Iron deficiency may interact in important ways with other forms of malnutrition that are known to affect immune protection. ..
- Hayeems R, Miller F, Vermeulen M, Potter B, Chakraborty P, Davies C, et al. False-Positive Newborn Screening for Cystic Fibrosis and Health Care Use. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Using cystic fibrosis (CF) as an example, we determined the association of FP NBS results with health care use in infants and their mothers in Ontario, Canada...
- Mizukawa B, O Brien E, Moreira D, Wunderlich M, Hochstetler C, Duan X, et al. The cell polarity determinant CDC42 controls division symmetry to block leukemia cell differentiation. Blood. 2017;130:1336-1346 pubmed publisher..Thus, CDC42 loss suppresses AML cell polarity and division asymmetry, and CDC42 constitutes a useful target to alter leukemia-initiating cell fate for differentiation therapy. ..
- Martin F, Palladino C, Mateus R, Bolzan A, Gomes P, Brito J, et al. Early infant diagnosis of HIV-1 infection in Luanda, Angola, using a new DNA PCR assay and dried blood spots. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181352 pubmed publisher..The new PCR assay enables early and accurate EID. The simplicity and low-cost of the assay make it suitable for generalized implementation in Angola and other resource-constrained countries. ..
- Lehmann S, Picas A, Tiers L, Vialaret J, Hirtz C. Clinical perspectives of dried blood spot protein quantification using mass spectrometry methods. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2017;54:173-184 pubmed publisher..In this review, we examine the current use of DBS for LC-MS/MS protein quantification in clinical settings and discuss potential clinical applications. ..