Genomes and Genes
Summary: Method of analyzing chemicals using automation.
- Ungerer J, Southby S, Florkowski C, George P. Automated measurement of cerebrospinal fluid bilirubin in suspected subarachnoid hemorrhage. Clin Chem. 2004;50:1854-6 pubmed
- Lucena R, Cárdenas S, Gallego M, Valcarcel M. Autoanalyzer for continuous fractionation and quantitation of the polyphenols content in wines. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1081:127-31 pubmed..The proposed autonalyzer was applied to the analysis of a variety of commercial wine samples. The results obtained were compared with those provided by the Folin-Ciocalteau method, being similar in all instances. ..
- Nicolay A, Lombard E, Arlotto E, Saunier V, Lorec Penet A, Lairon D, et al. Evaluation of new apolipoprotein C-II and apolipoprotein C-III automatized immunoturbidimetric kits. Clin Biochem. 2006;39:935-41 pubmed..954, y = 3.81 x -14.4). This study shows the reliability of these kits for measuring apolipoprotein C-II and apolipoprotein C-III in human sera, and their suitability for routine analysis. ..
- Zubal I, Early M, Yuan O, Jennings D, Marek K, Seibyl J. Optimized, automated striatal uptake analysis applied to SPECT brain scans of Parkinson's disease patients. J Nucl Med. 2007;48:857-64 pubmed..96. Our optimized OSA delivers V3'' evaluations that closely correlate with a similar evaluation manually applied by a highly trained image-processing technologist. ..
- Carrell D, Emery B. Use of automated imaging and analysis technology for the detection of aneuploidy in human sperm. Fertil Steril. 2008;90:434-7 pubmed..These preliminary data demonstrate that automated cell counting devices may be useful in increasing productivity in aneuploidy detection in sperm and may become an alternative to the labor-intensive manual counting by technicians. ..
- Foerch C, Niessner M, Back T, Bauerle M, De Marchis G, Ferbert A, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of plasma glial fibrillary acidic protein for differentiating intracerebral hemorrhage and cerebral ischemia in patients with symptoms of acute stroke. Clin Chem. 2012;58:237-45 pubmed publisher..5 h of symptom onset can differentiate ICH and ischemic stroke. Studies are needed to evaluate a GFAP point-of-care system that may help optimize the prehospital triage and management of patients with symptoms of acute stroke. ..
- Rasmussen M, Bjerring M. Visual scoring of milk mixed with blood. J Dairy Res. 2005;72:257-63 pubmed..We lack data on how blood is naturally expelled into milk and in what amount. We propose that cow composite milk with > 6 microM-haemoglobin should be separated because at this level milk will have a red tinge. ..
- Palomaki G, Knight G, Neveux L, Pandian R, Haddow J. Maternal serum invasive trophoblast antigen and first-trimester Down syndrome screening. Clin Chem. 2005;51:1499-504 pubmed..0% and 1.8%, respectively. Serum ITA appears to be a useful first-trimester Down syndrome marker that could replace free beta measurements while maintaining performance. ..
- Tsai I, Weng T, Tseng Y, Tan H, Sun H, Kuo C. Screening and confirmation of 62 drugs of abuse and metabolites in urine by ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Anal Toxicol. 2013;37:642-51 pubmed publisher..Ten urine samples from patients undergoing methadone treatment were analyzed by the developed UHPLC-QTOF-MS method, and the results were compared with the immunoassay method. ..
- Rawlins M, Owen W, Roberts W. Performance characteristics of four automated natriuretic peptide assays. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;123:439-45 pubmed..9%, 92.9%, 92.4%, and 84.3% for the Access 2, ADVIA Centaur, AxSYM, and E170, respectively. All automated natriuretic peptide methods showed acceptable analytic performance. ..
- Raja S, Ching J, Xi L, Hughes S, Chang R, Wong W, et al. Technology for automated, rapid, and quantitative PCR or reverse transcription-PCR clinical testing. Clin Chem. 2005;51:882-90 pubmed..The GeneXpert can perform RNA isolation, reverse transcription, and quantitative PCR in approximately 35 min and could therefore be used for intraoperative testing when applicable. ..
- Igout J, Fretigny M, Vasse M, Callat M, Silva M, Willemont L, et al. Evaluation of the coulter LH 750 haematology analyzer compared with flow cytometry as the reference method for WBC, platelet and nucleated RBC count. Clin Lab Haematol. 2004;26:1-7 pubmed..977, n = 60) and WBC counts were accurate. In conclusion, the reduction in flagging by the LH 750, the accuracy of the results, and the availability of a NRBC count, constitute major advantages. ..
- Siegenthaler M, Spertini O. Images in clinical medicine. Spurious platelet count. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:1936 pubmed
- Vogelzang M, Zijlstra F, Nijsten M. Design and implementation of GRIP: a computerized glucose control system at a surgical intensive care unit. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2005;5:38 pubmed..A computer driven protocol is a safe and effective means of glucose control at a surgical ICU. Future improvements in the recommendation algorithm may further improve safety and efficiency. ..
- Erel O. A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clin Biochem. 2005;38:1103-11 pubmed..66 P<0.01). This easy, stable, reliable, sensitive, inexpensive and fully automated method that is described can be used to measure total oxidant status. ..
- Ford A. Good tidings--the latest in chemistry analyzers. CAP Today. 2005;19:62, 64, 66 passim pubmed
- Haltmayer M, Mueller T, Gegenhuber A, Poelz W. Comparison of the automated AxSYM and ADVIA centaur immunoassays for homocysteine determination. Clin Lab. 2004;50:175-80 pubmed..However, results of both assays may not be used interchangeably since the ADVIA Centaur method tends to overestimate tHcy values compared to the AxSYM method. ..
- Shah K, Kop W, Christenson R, Diercks D, Kuo D, Henderson S, et al. Lack of diagnostic and prognostic utility of circulating plasma myeloperoxidase concentrations in patients presenting with dyspnea. Clin Chem. 2009;55:59-67 pubmed publisher..Unlike natriuretic peptides, MPO concentration was not predictive of ADHF diagnosis or 1-year mortality in a heterogeneous sample of emergency department patients with acute dyspnea. ..
- Carroll A, Scampavia L, Luo D, Lernmark A, Ruzicka J. Bead injection ELISA for the determination of antibodies implicated in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Analyst. 2003;128:1157-62 pubmed..Compared to the standard ELISA protocol, BI ELISA offers a significantly reduced assay time and complete automation of solution handling and detection. ..
- Bramanti E, Vecoli C, Neglia D, Pellegrini M, Raspi G, Barsacchi R. Speciation and quantification of thiols by reversed-phase chromatography coupled with on-line chemical vapor generation and atomic fluorescence spectrometric detection: method validation and preliminary application for glutathione measurements in hum. Clin Chem. 2005;51:1007-13 pubmed..The RPC-CVGAFS method could be used to measure reduced and oxidized glutathione in human whole blood as disease biomarkers. ..
- French C, Li C, Strom C, Sun W, Van Atta R, Gonzalez B, et al. Detection of the factor V Leiden mutation by a modified photo-cross-linking oligonucleotide hybridization assay. Clin Chem. 2004;50:296-305 pubmed..The modified photo-cross-linking assay for factor V Leiden detection is a sensitive non-PCR-based assay with potential for use in high-throughput clinical laboratories. ..
- Redondo R, Machado V, Baeza M, Lafuente J, Gabriel D. On-line monitoring of gas-phase bioreactors for biogas treatment: hydrogen sulfide and sulfide analysis by automated flow systems. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2008;391:789-98 pubmed publisher..The proposed analyser was used by analysing real gas and liquid samples with optimal results at a full-scale biotrickling filter for biogas treatment at a municipal wastewater treatment plant. ..
- Rand J, Hoover A, Fishel S, Moss J, Pappas J, Muth E. Real-time correction of heart interbeat intervals. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2007;54:946-50 pubmed..Our automated method had a 96% agreement rate with the two human graders when they themselves agreed, with a 49% rate of matching specific error corrections and a 0.01% false alarm rate. ..
- van den Broek D, Keularts I, Wielders J, Kraaijenhagen R. Benefits of the iQ200 automated urine microscopy analyser in routine urinalysis. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2008;46:1635-40 pubmed publisher..From a clinical point of view, renewed attention and improvement of routine urinalysis aids in the efficient detection of renal and urinary tract pathology. ..
- Kort S, Martens F, Vanpoucke H, van Duijnhoven H, Blankenstein M. Comparison of 6 automated assays for total and free prostate-specific antigen with special reference to their reactivity toward the WHO 96/670 reference preparation. Clin Chem. 2006;52:1568-74 pubmed..2%) of the expected value. The results for fPSA were more diverse. Differences among PSA assays appear to have decreased since introduction of the WHO 96/670 reference preparation, but further efforts are needed to harmonize fPSA assays. ..
- Molero T, Roemer B, Perera Alvarez M, Lemes A, Iñigo S, Palacios G, et al. Analysis and enumeration of T cells, B cells and NK cells using the monoclonal antibody fluorescence capability of a routine haematology analyser (Cell-Dyn CD4000). Clin Lab Haematol. 2005;27:224-34 pubmed..The potential to undertake immediate analysis of EDTA-anticoagulated blood samples to determine the nature of abnormal lymphocyte morphology or numbers represents a considerable advance in the capability of haematology laboratories. ..
- Finkel E. Labs want it all, and blood gas vendors oblige. CAP Today. 2005;19:5, 12-4, 16, 18 passim pubmed
- Kuosmanen K, Hyötyläinen T, Hartonen K, Riekkola M. Analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil and sediment with on-line coupled pressurised hot water extraction, hollow fibre microporous membrane liquid-liquid extraction and gas chromatography. Analyst. 2003;128:434-9 pubmed..11-1.22 microg g(-1). The concentration enrichment factors obtained with the method ranged from 9 to 55. Comparison of the results with those obtained by other techniques confirmed the good performance. ..
- Wetli H, Francotte E. Automated screening platform with isochronal-parallel analysis and conditioning for rapid method development of chiral separations. J Sep Sci. 2007;30:1255-61 pubmed
- Prontera C, Storti S, Emdin M, Passino C, Zyw L, Zucchelli G, et al. Comparison of a fully automated immunoassay with a point-of-care testing method for B-type natriuretic peptide. Clin Chem. 2005;51:1274-6 pubmed
- Florkowski C, Ungerer J, Southby S, George P. CSF bilirubin measurement for xanthochromia. N Z Med J. 2004;117:U1231 pubmed
- Garcia Mesa J, Mateos R. Direct automatic determination of bitterness and total phenolic compounds in virgin olive oil using a pH-based flow-injection analysis system. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:3863-8 pubmed..The precision evaluated at two levels of both parameters ranged between 0.6% and 1.5% for bitterness and between 0.7% and 2.6% for phenolic compounds. ..
- Kataoka H, Matsuura E, Mitani K. Determination of cortisol in human saliva by automated in-tube solid-phase microextraction coupled with liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2007;44:160-5 pubmed..The recoveries of cortisol spiked into saliva samples were above 95%, and the relative standard deviations were below 6.0%. This method was used to analyze the changes in salivary cortisol level according to stress load. ..
- De Witt Hamer P, Jonker A, Leenstra S, Ruijter J, Van Noorden C. Quantification of viability in organotypic multicellular spheroids of human malignant glioma using lactate dehydrogenase activity: a rapid and reliable automated assay. J Histochem Cytochem. 2005;53:23-34 pubmed..We conclude that quantification of viability in cryostat sections of organotypic multicellular spheroids from malignant glioma can be performed reliably and reproducibly with this approach. ..
- Shimizu M, Kamio K, Iwamoto T, Ando Y, Kuwahira I. Simple, rapid and automated method for detection of hyperaggregability of platelets in sleep apnea syndrome. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;4:920-2 pubmed
- Shen P, Blair J. Cholesterol crystals causing falsely elevated automated cell count. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006;125:358-63 pubmed..Finally, the use of automated instruments in the evaluation of body fluid is reviewed. ..
- Suolinna E, Torresani T, Westgard J. Designing quality control for neonatal screening assays. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2003;34 Suppl 3:103-6 pubmed..The EZ Rules program provides a tool for selection of QC rules. With the quality of the AutoDELFIA neoTSH kit two controls and a 1 3.0 s rule is sufficient. Runs are rejected only if one control out of two exceeds the 3.0 SD limit. ..
- Horikoshi S, Higurashi A, Kaneko E, Yoshimura H, Ohsawa I, Suzuki Y, et al. A new screening method for proteinuria using Erythrosin B and an automated analyzer--rapid, sensitive and inexpensive determination. Clin Chim Acta. 2012;413:1087-91 pubmed publisher..This method provides a viable alternative to the conventional immunoassay-based methods for urinary protein measurement, and will be useful in the diagnosis of early stage kidney disease. ..
- Moal V, Mathieu E, Reynier P, Malthiery Y, Gallois Y. Low serum testosterone assayed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Comparison with five immunoassay techniques. Clin Chim Acta. 2007;386:12-9 pubmed..It has adequate sensitivity and is not subject to interference from other steroids that were tested. ..
- McQuillan A, Sales S. Designing an automated blood fractionation system. Int J Epidemiol. 2008;37 Suppl 1:i51-5 pubmed publisher..An automated, high throughput blood fractionation system offers a solution to the problem of processing human blood samples collected in vacutainers in a consistent manner and provides a means of ensuring data and sample integrity. ..
- Cabrera O, Jacques Silva M, Berman D, Fachado A, Echeverri F, Poo R, et al. Automated, high-throughput assays for evaluation of human pancreatic islet function. Cell Transplant. 2008;16:1039-48 pubmed..These methodologies will enable functional characterization of human islet preparations before transplantation and thereby provide the basis for the establishment of predictive tests for beta-cell potency. ..
- Johnson S, Marshall D, Harms G, Miller C, Sherrill C, Beaty E, et al. Multiplexed genetic analysis using an expanded genetic alphabet. Clin Chem. 2004;50:2019-27 pubmed..The unique genetic multiplexing platform was successfully able to test for 31 targets within the CFTR gene and provides accurate genotype assignments in a clinical setting. ..
- Haugh R. The demand for more exacting test results--fast!--reformulates hospital labs. Hosp Health Netw. 2006;80:46-8, 50, 52, 2 pubmed..Lab staffs--already in short supply--need to be technically adept to administer and interpret the test results, and, in some cases, become more involved with clinicians. ..
- Maguire O, O Sullivan J, Ryan J, Cunningham S. Evaluation of the albumin cobalt binding (ACB) assay for measurement of ischaemia-modified albumin (IMA) on the Beckman Coulter LX-20. Ann Clin Biochem. 2006;43:494-9 pubmed..A correction to measured IMA concentrations, to take into account total albumin concentrations, may need to be applied for the proper interpretation of IMA results. ..
- Josephine F, Nissapatorn V. Malaria: the value of the automated depolarization analysis. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2005;36 Suppl 4:68-72 pubmed..This automated approach may prove to be particularly useful in situations where there is little or no clinical suspicion of malaria. ..
- Zhong Z, Yang L, Luo G. [Dry chemistry method for measuring serum urea and creatinine]. Hunan Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2003;28:418-20 pubmed..With favorable accuracy, the recovery rate were 106.7% and 107.2%, respectively. Dry chemistry method is rapid and accurate for emergent testing of serum urea and creatinine. ..
- Zhao W, Chaffin C, Desmond R, Hodges B, Daly T, Andrew Robinson C, et al. Overestimation of HDL-cholesterol using a homogeneous "direct" assay. J Clin Lab Anal. 2004;18:42-4 pubmed..This bias was worse at HDLc concentrations <40 mg/dL, which may make it difficult to identify a low HDLc concentration and consequently an increased risk for cardiovascular disease (CVD). ..
- Sanfelippo M, Tillema V. Automated assay for fondaparinux (Arixtra) on the Dade Behring BCS XP. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;132:608-12 pubmed publisher..The assay is, however, not specific for fondaparinux. Specimens containing unfractionated or low-molecular-weight heparin will yield results by this assay that will not be an accurate estimation of concentration. ..
- Dewulf G, Harrois D, Mazars E, Cattoen C, Canis F. [Evaluation of the performances of the iQ(®)200 ELITE automated urine microscopy analyser and comparison with manual microscopy method]. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2011;59:264-8 pubmed publisher..The iQ(®)200 ELITE permits us to standardise and control this test for a future accreditation of the laboratory. We also significantly increase the turn around time. ..
- Aulesa C, Mainar I, Prieto M, Cobos N, Galimany R. Use of the Advia 120 hematology analyzer in the differential cytologic analysis of biological fluids (cerebrospinal, peritoneal, pleural, pericardial, synovial, and others). Lab Hematol. 2003;9:214-24 pubmed..This result shows that use of hematology analyzers is questionable for these kinds of samples, especially from oncology patients with tumors. A procedure is proposed for the processing of these pleural fluids. ..
- Torjesen P, Sandnes L. Serum testosterone in women as measured by an automated immunoassay and a RIA. Clin Chem. 2004;50:678; author reply 678-9 pubmed
- Lippi G, Salvagno G, Montagnana M, Brocco G, Guidi G. Influence of hemolysis on routine clinical chemistry testing. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2006;44:311-6 pubmed..If hemolysis and blood cell lysis result from an in vitro cause, we suggest that the most convenient corrective solution might be quantification of free hemoglobin, alerting the clinicians and sample recollection. ..