Genomes and Genes
Summary: The measurement of the amplitude of the components of a complex waveform throughout the frequency range of the waveform. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 6th ed)
- Gomes A, Turzhitsky V, Ruderman S, Backman V. Monte Carlo model of the penetration depth for polarization gating spectroscopy: influence of illumination-collection geometry and sample optical properties. Appl Opt. 2012;51:4627-37 pubmed publisher..The penetration depth model derived in this study can be applied to optimizing application-specific fiber-optic probes to target a sampling depth of interest with minimal sensitivity to the optical properties of the sample. ..
- Manigrasso M, Febo A, Guglielmi F, Ciambottini V, Avino P. Relevance of aerosol size spectrum analysis as support to qualitative source apportionment studies. Environ Pollut. 2012;170:43-51 pubmed publisher..Dust models and backward trajectories analysis confirmed such results, indicating the air mass provenience. ..
- Nikodem M, Weidmann D, Smith C, Wysocki G. Signal-to-noise ratio in chirped laser dispersion spectroscopy. Opt Express. 2012;20:644-53 pubmed publisher..2 µm for the detection of nitric oxide. Optical fringing has been found to be a significant non-random source of noise and an effective reduction method that can improve the SNR is also discussed. ..
- Panitchayangkoon G, Voronine D, Abramavicius D, Caram J, Lewis N, Mukamel S, et al. Direct evidence of quantum transport in photosynthetic light-harvesting complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:20908-12 pubmed publisher..Resolving design principles evident in this biological antenna could provide inspiration for new solar energy applications. ..
- Nichols B, Rajaram N, Tunnell J. Performance of a lookup table-based approach for measuring tissue optical properties with diffuse optical spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2012;17:057001 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe the rapid fabrication of a lookup table using only six calibration standards. This optimized LUT was able to extract scattering and absorption properties with average RMS errors of 2.5 and 4 percent, respectively. ..
- Jünger M, Vautz W, Kuhns M, Hofmann L, Ulbricht S, Baumbach J, et al. Ion mobility spectrometry for microbial volatile organic compounds: a new identification tool for human pathogenic bacteria. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012;93:2603-14 pubmed publisher..In a hospital routine, this method could enable the identification of pathogens already after 24 h with the consequence that a specific therapy could be initiated significantly earlier. ..
- Tai C, Su J, Huang C, Huang M, Wen Z, Dai C, et al. Cytotoxic and anti-inflammatory eunicellin-based diterpenoids from the soft coral Cladiella krempfi. Mar Drugs. 2013;11:788-99 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, compounds 6 and 10 could potently inhibit the accumulation of the pro-inflammatory iNOS protein, and 6 and 12 could significantly reduce the expression of COX-2 protein in LPS-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cells...
- Kennerley A, Harris S, Bruyns Haylett M, Boorman L, Zheng Y, Jones M, et al. Early and late stimulus-evoked cortical hemodynamic responses provide insight into the neurogenic nature of neurovascular coupling. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2012;32:468-80 pubmed publisher..Although data did not clearly dissociate early and late vascular responses, they suggest that the neurovascular coupling relationship is neurogenic in origin...
- Fernando W, Martins A, Zhao P, Wu Y, Kiefer G, Platas Iglesias C, et al. Breaking the Barrier to Slow Water Exchange Rates for Optimal Magnetic Resonance Detection of paraCEST Agents. Inorg Chem. 2016;55:3007-14 pubmed publisher..The advantages of such systems are demonstrated experimentally both in vitro and in vivo and DFT calculations were performed to help understand the physical-chemical reasons for this interesting behavior. ..
- Franko M, Liu M, Boškin A, Delneri A, Proskurnin M. Fast Screening Techniques for Neurotoxigenic Substances and Other Toxicants and Pollutants Based on Thermal Lensing and Microfluidic Chips. Anal Sci. 2016;32:23-30 pubmed publisher..Various approaches to determining other topical toxicants, like microcystin and cyanopigments as its indicators, allergens, and carcinogenic chromate, are also discussed. ..
- Farrell J. Tridentate arsenate complexation with ferric hydroxide and its effect on the kinetics of arsenate adsorption and desorption. Chemosphere. 2017;184:1209-1214 pubmed publisher..This suggests that tridentate complexation may contribute to previously observed extremely slow adsorption and desorption reactions of arsenate with ferric hydroxide. ..
- Boye K, Ligezowska A, Eble J, Hoffmann B, Klösgen B, Merkel R. Two barriers or not? Dynamic force spectroscopy on the integrin ?7?1 invasin complex. Biophys J. 2013;105:2771-80 pubmed publisher..However, a statistical analysis of the full rupture force spectra including the detection limits of the setup showed that all measured data are well described by dissociation over a single barrier. ..
- Hyltegren K, Nylander T, Lund M, SkepÃ¶ M. Adsorption of the intrinsically disordered saliva protein histatin 5 to silica surfaces. A Monte Carlo simulation and ellipsometry study. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2016;467:280-290 pubmed publisher..The importance of electrostatics increases with increasing pH. Charge regulation of the protein affected the results from the simulations only at high surface charge and low ionic strength. ..
- Kaamyabi S, Habibi D, Amini M. Preparation and characterization of the pH and thermosensitive magnetic molecular imprinted nanoparticle polymer for the cancer drug delivery. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:2349-54 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it showed the lower critical solution temperature of 40°C which can be beneficial in cancer drug delivery, since the temperature of cancer cells is higher than normal ones, and DOX can be released selectively in cancer cells. ..
- Saha M, Schmittel M. From 3-fold completive self-sorting of a nine-component library to a seven-component scalene quadrilateral. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:17743-6 pubmed publisher..Due to the orthogonality of the latter, they were used as corner stones in an integrative self-sorting approach toward a seven-component scalene quadrilateral. ..
- Adolphs J, Berrer M, Renger T. Hole-Burning Spectroscopy on Excitonically Coupled Pigments in Proteins: Theory Meets Experiment. J Am Chem Soc. 2016;138:2993-3001 pubmed publisher..J. Phys. Chem. B 2014 , 118 , 3524 ). ..
- Jazan E, Mirzaei H. Direct analysis of human breath ammonia using corona discharge ion mobility spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2014;88:315-20 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in this work revealed that the method was conveniently established without any considerable sample pretreatment for direct analysis of ammonia in human breath. ..
- Park W, Sun L, Noddings A, Kim D, Fisk Z, Greene L. Topological surface states interacting with bulk excitations in the Kondo insulator SmB6 revealed via planar tunneling spectroscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:6599-604 pubmed publisher..Our spectroscopic study supports and explains the proposed picture of the incompletely protected surface states in this topological Kondo insulator SmB6. ..
- Liu C, Jiang Y, Lei H, Chen X, Ma Q, Han L, et al. Four New Nanaomycins Produced by Streptomyces hebeiensis Derived from Lichen. Chem Biodivers. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The antimicrobial activities of 1 - 6 were evaluated against Gram-positive bacteria and fungus. Compounds 5 and 6 showed antimicrobial activities against the test microorganisms, while 1 - 4 were inactive at 100 ?g/ml. ..
- Laffers W, Westermann S, Regeling B, Martin R, Thies B, Gerstner A, et al. [Early recognition of cancerous lesions in the mouth and oropharynx: Automated evaluation of hyperspectral image stacks]. HNO. 2016;64:27-33 pubmed publisher..Besides a better prognosis for cancer patients, this approach could lead to higher cost efficiency in the health system. ..
- Cappon D, Farrell T, Fang Q, Hayward J. Fiber-optic probe design and optical property recovery algorithm for optical biopsy of brain tissue. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18:107004 pubmed publisher..This algorithm can be adapted to work with any probe geometry to allow optical property recovery in small surgical cavities. ..
- Zhang J, Liu L, Mu J, Yang T, Zheng N, Dong H. Chemical Analysis in the Corpus Callosum Following Traumatic Axonal Injury using Fourier Transform Infrared Microspectroscopy: A Pilot Study. J Forensic Sci. 2015;60:1488-94 pubmed publisher..Our study showed that FTIRM could differentiate injured from normal white matter at different time points following TBI via examination of these infrared spectral parameters. ..
- Shahabadi N, Hakimi M, Morovati T, Fatahi N. DNA binding affinity of a macrocyclic copper(II) complex: Spectroscopic and molecular docking studies. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2017;36:497-510 pubmed publisher..The experimental results were in agreement with the results obtained via molecular docking study. ..
- Rangl M, Leitner M, Riihimäki T, Lehtonen S, Hytönen V, Gruber H, et al. Investigating the binding behaviour of two avidin-based testosterone binders using molecular recognition force spectroscopy. J Mol Recognit. 2014;27:92-7 pubmed publisher..Unravelling the binding behaviour of the investigated testosterone-binding proteins is expected to improve their usability for possible sensing applications. ..
- Enseki M, Nukaga M, Tabata H, Hirai K, Matsuda S, Mochizuki H. A clinical method for detecting bronchial reversibility using a breath sound spectrum analysis in infants. Respir Investig. 2017;55:219-228 pubmed publisher..These sound parameters may play a role in the assessment of bronchial reversibility in infants. ..
- Abdelwahab N, Mohamed M. Three New Methods for Resolving Ternary Mixture with Overlapping Spectra: Comparative Study. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2017;65:558-565 pubmed publisher..Data manipulation steps are very simple, hence these methods can be considered as time and money saving methods comparing to chromatographic methods of analysis. ..
- Nozue S, Katayama M, Terazima M, Kumazaki S. Comparative study of thylakoid membranes in terminal heterocysts and vegetative cells from two cyanobacteria, Rivularia M-261 and Anabaena variabilis, by fluorescence and absorption spectral microscopy. Biochim Biophys Acta Bioenerg. 2017;1858:742-749 pubmed publisher..The average stoichiometric ratio between PSI monomer and PC hexamer in Rivularia heterocysts is estimated to be about 1:1. ..
- Moroni M, Lupo E, Cenedese A. Hyperspectral proximal sensing of Salix Alba trees in the Sacco river valley (Latium, Italy). Sensors (Basel). 2013;13:14633-49 pubmed publisher..Broadband and narrowband indices based on pigment content and carotenoids vs. chlorophyll content suggest tree samples located upstream of the contaminated area are 'healthier' than those downstream. ..
- Chandler J, Subramanian H, Maneval C, White C, Levenson R, Backman V. High-speed spectral nanocytology for early cancer screening. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18:117002 pubmed publisher..00. The high-throughput performance, nanoscale sensitivity, and diagnostic sensitivity make HTPWS a potentially clinically relevant modality for risk stratification of the large populations at risk of developing cancer. ..
- Kojima K, Imamoto Y, Maeda R, Yamashita T, Shichida Y. Rod visual pigment optimizes active state to achieve efficient G protein activation as compared with cone visual pigments. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:5061-73 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that efficient Gt activation by rhodopsin, resulting from an optimized active state of rhodopsin, is one of the causes of the high amplification efficiency of rods. ..
- Moghadam N, Salehzadeh S, Shahabadi N. Spectroscopic and molecular docking studies on the interaction of antiviral drug nevirapine with calf thymus DNA. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2017;36:553-570 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the structure of nevirapine was optimized by DFT calculations and was used for the molecular docking calculations. The molecular docking results suggested that nevirapine prefers to bind on the minor groove of ct-DNA. ..
- Lanková M, Humpolickova J, Vosolsobě S, Cit Z, Lacek J, Čovan M, et al. Determination of Dynamics of Plant Plasma Membrane Proteins with Fluorescence Recovery and Raster Image Correlation Spectroscopy. Microsc Microanal. 2016;22:290-9 pubmed publisher..RICS, which is routinely accessible on modern CLSM instruments, thus represents a valuable approach for studies of dynamics of PM proteins in plants. ..
- Muniyandi V, Pravin N, Subbaraj P, Raman N. Persistent DNA binding, cleavage performance and eco-friendly catalytic nature of novel complexes having 2-aminobenzophenone precursor. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2016;156:11-21 pubmed publisher..Among them Cu(II) complex exhibits better catalytic activity than others. This catalytic process occurs at room temperature and it proceeds in water medium which suggests that this is an eco-friendly process. ..
- Ishiyama T, Terada D, Morita A. Hydrogen-Bonding Structure at Zwitterionic Lipid/Water Interface. J Phys Chem Lett. 2016;7:216-20 pubmed publisher..The gap between the two positive bands indicates the interfacial water pointing toward the bulk water phase in the vicinity of the choline groups. ..
- Reinhard C, Olson S, Schwieterman E, Lyons T. False Negatives for Remote Life Detection on Ocean-Bearing Planets: Lessons from the Early Earth. Astrobiology. 2017;17:287-297 pubmed publisher..Key Words: Biosignatures-Oxygen-Methane-Ozone-Exoplanets-Planetary habitability. Astrobiology 17, 287-297. ..
- Tran W, Gangeh M, Sannachi L, Chin L, Watkins E, Bruni S, et al. Predicting breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy using pretreatment diffuse optical spectroscopic texture analysis. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:1329-1339 pubmed publisher..0/81.0% and an accuracy of 79.5%. This study demonstrated that the pretreatment DOS texture features can predict breast cancer response to NAC and potentially guide treatments. ..
- Chadha N, Silakari O. Identification of low micromolar dual inhibitors for aldose reductase (ALR2) and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP-1) using structure based design approach. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:2324-2330 pubmed publisher..The positive results of the biochemical assay suggest that these compounds may be further optimized and utilized for the treatment of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Ozer A, Tabakoglu H, Cengiz S. Illicit drug detection with laser 1: investigation of optimal parameters in stomach tissue. J Biomed Opt. 2014;19:057006 pubmed publisher..The spectrum of a molecule found inside white powder placed behind the lamb stomach tissue was detected as a fingerprint. This allowed the detection of target substances without any physical contact or damage to the biological tissue. ..
- Strömberg T, Karlsson H, Fredriksson I, Nystrom F, Larsson M. Microcirculation assessment using an individualized model for diffuse reflectance spectroscopy and conventional laser Doppler flowmetry. J Biomed Opt. 2014;19:057002 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, by integrating DRS and LDF in a fiber-optic probe, a powerful tool for assessment of blood flow and oxygenation in the same microvascular bed has been presented. ..
- Duran N, Savassa S, Lima R, de Almeida E, Linhares F, Van Gestel C, et al. X-ray Spectroscopy Uncovering the Effects of Cu Based Nanoparticle Concentration and Structure on Phaseolus vulgaris Germination and Seedling Development. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7874-7884 pubmed publisher..The higher surface reactivity of the 25 nm CuO nanoparticles might be responsible for its deleterious effects. The present study therefore highlights the importance of the nanoparticle structure for its physiological impacts. ..
- Wiebalck S, Kozuch J, Forbrig E, Tzschucke C, Jeuken L, Hildebrandt P. Monitoring the Transmembrane Proton Gradient Generated by Cytochrome bo3 in Tethered Bilayer Lipid Membranes Using SEIRA Spectroscopy. J Phys Chem B. 2016;120:2249-56 pubmed publisher..8 pH units. This study demonstrates the high potential of tBLMs and the SEIRA spectroscopic approach to study bioenergetic processes. ..
- Radrich K, Ntziachristos V. Quantitative multi-spectral oxygen saturation measurements independent of tissue optical properties. J Biophotonics. 2016;9:83-99 pubmed publisher..A mean error of 2.9 ± 2.8% O2 Sat was achieved. Finally, we performed pilot studies in tissues in-vivo by measuring dynamic changes in fingers subjected to vascular occlusion, the vasculature of mouse ears and exposed mouse organs. ..
- Alwera S, Bhushan R. (RS)-Propranolol: enantioseparation by HPLC using newly synthesized (S)-levofloxacin-based reagent, absolute configuration of diastereomers and recovery of native enantiomers by detagging. Biomed Chromatogr. 2016;30:1223-33 pubmed publisher..With the systematic application of various analytical techniques, absolute configuration of the diastereomers (and the native enantiomers) of (RS)-propranolol was established. Copyright © 2016 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Vogel W, Osborne T, James R, Cohen M. Spectral prediction of sediment chemistry in Lake Okeechobee, Florida. Environ Monit Assess. 2016;188:594 pubmed
- Myrden A, Chau T. Feature clustering for robust frequency-domain classification of EEG activity. J Neurosci Methods. 2016;262:77-84 pubmed publisher..Overall, the feature clustering algorithm was statistically superior to both alternative algorithms. The new feature clustering algorithm provides a promising alternative to conventional frequency-domain EEG analysis. ..