Summary: Removal of an endotracheal tube from the patient.
- Lai H, Chang Y, Huang R, Hung N, Lu C, Chen J, et al. Efficacy of sevoflurane as an adjuvant to propofol-based total intravenous anesthesia for attenuating secretions in ocular surgery. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6729 pubmed publisher..0 minutes; P?=?.34). No postoperative endophthalmitis or PONV in both groups was observed. Sevoflurane attenuated secretions under propofol-based TIVA and did not increase the incidence of PONV or prolonged extubation in ocular surgery. ..
- Li X, Xia Q, Li W. Comparison of the effects of dezocine, fentanyl, and placebo on emergence agitation after sevoflurane anesthesia in children. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2015;53:241-6 pubmed publisher..1 mgxkg(-1) and fentanyl 1 ?g×kg(-1) were comparable in decreasing the incidence and severity of emergence agitation. However, the use of dezocine was associated with a lower incidence of postoperative side effects. ..
- Chawla S, Natarajan G, Shankaran S, Carper B, Brion L, Keszler M, et al. Markers of Successful Extubation in Extremely Preterm Infants, and Morbidity After Failed Extubation. J Pediatr. 2017;189:113-119.e2 pubmed publisher..Failed extubation was associated with significantly higher likelihood of mortality and morbidities. ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT00233324. ..
- Özlü Z, Bilican P. EFFECTS OF AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE ON THE SLEEP QUALITY AND PHYSIOLOGICAL PARAMETERS OF PATIENTS IN A SURGICAL INTENSIVE CARE UNIT. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2017;14:83-88 pubmed publisher..Results of the study showed that aromatherapy massage enhanced the sleep quality of patients in a surgical intensive care unit and resulted in some positive changes in their physiological parameters. ..
- Di M, Han Y, Yang Z, Liu H, Ye X, Lai H, et al. Tracheal extubation in deeply anesthetized pediatric patients after tonsillectomy: a comparison of high-concentration sevoflurane alone and low-concentration sevoflurane in combination with dexmedetomidine pre-medication. BMC Anesthesiol. 2017;17:28 pubmed publisher..Preoperative dexmedetomidine at 1 ?g/kg did not prolong postoperative recovery time. Chinese Clinical Trial Registry (ChiCTR): ChiCTR-IOR-16008423 , date of registration: 06 may 2016. ..
- Ornico S, Lobo S, Sanches H, Deberaldini M, Tófoli L, Vidal A, et al. Noninvasive ventilation immediately after extubation improves weaning outcome after acute respiratory failure: a randomized controlled trial. Crit Care. 2013;17:R39 pubmed publisher..2% in OM group (P=0.041). In this study population, NIV prevented 48 hours reintubation if applied immediately after elective extubation in patients with more than 3 days of ARF when compared with the OM group. 41524441. ..
- Chao C, Lai C, Chan K, Cheng K, Ho C, Chen C, et al. Multidisciplinary interventions and continuous quality improvement to reduce unplanned extubation in adult intensive care units: A 15-year experience. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6877 pubmed publisher..Overall, the trend analysis showed the change was significant with P?<?.0001. In conclusion, UE in adult ICU can be continuously and effectively reduced using multidisciplinary and sequential quality improvement interventions. ..
- Khemani R, Sekayan T, Hotz J, Flink R, Rafferty G, Iyer N, et al. Risk Factors for Pediatric Extubation Failure: The Importance of Respiratory Muscle Strength. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:e798-e805 pubmed publisher..Neuromuscular weakness at the time of extubation was common in children and was independently associated with reintubation, particularly when postextubation effort was high. ..
- Cohn J, Touati A, Lentner M, Weitzel M, Fisher C, Sataloff R. Self-extubation Laryngeal Injuries at an Academic Tertiary Care Center: A Retrospective Pilot Study. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:555-560 pubmed publisher..278, P = .02). This study demonstrates that the majority of self-extubated patients have laryngeal symptoms and clinical findings. A comprehensive, multidisciplinary evaluation is warranted for self-extubations. ..
- Popat M, Mitchell V, Dravid R, Patel A, Swampillai C, Higgs A. Difficult Airway Society Guidelines for the management of tracheal extubation. Anaesthesia. 2012;67:318-40 pubmed publisher..They emphasise the importance of planning and preparation, and include practical techniques for use in clinical practice and recommendations for post-extubation care. ..
- Binks M, Holyoak R, Melhuish T, Vlok R, Bond E, White L. Apneic oxygenation during intubation in the emergency department and during retrieval: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1542-1546 pubmed publisher..09, p=0.004). Apneic oxygenation may reduce patient hypoxemia during intubation performed in the ED and during retrieval. It also improves intubation first-pass success rate in this setting. ..
- Silva S, Ait Aissa D, Cocquet P, Hoarau L, Ruiz J, Ferre F, et al. Combined Thoracic Ultrasound Assessment during a Successful Weaning Trial Predicts Postextubation Distress. Anesthesiology. 2017;127:666-674 pubmed publisher..The decision to attempt extubation could be significantly assisted by an integrative, dynamic, and fully bedside ultrasonographic assessment of cardiac, lung, and diaphragm functions. ..
- Kutchak F, Rieder M, Victorino J, Meneguzzi C, Poersch K, Forgiarini L, et al. Simple motor tasks independently predict extubation failure in critically ill neurological patients. J Bras Pneumol. 2017;43:183-189 pubmed publisher..Preensão de mão e protrusão da língua em resposta ao comando podem ser testes rápidos e fáceis realizados à beira do leito para identificar pacientes neurológicos críticos que sejam candidatos à extubação. ..
- Asehnoune K, Seguin P, Lasocki S, Roquilly A, Delater A, Gros A, et al. Extubation Success Prediction in a Multicentric Cohort of Patients with Severe Brain Injury. Anesthesiology. 2017;127:338-346 pubmed publisher..2%] vs. 11 [11.1%]; P < 0.0001). Our score exploring both airway functions and neurologic status may increase the probability of successful extubation in patients with severe brain injury. ..
- Liu L, Liu H, Yang Y, Huang Y, Liu S, Beck J, et al. Neuroventilatory efficiency and extubation readiness in critically ill patients. Crit Care. 2012;16:R143 pubmed publisher..Clinicaltrials.gov identifier NCT01065428. ..
- Bedirli N, Akcabay M, Emik U. Tramadol vs dexmedetomidine for emergence agitation control in pediatric patients undergoing adenotonsillectomy with sevoflurane anesthesia: prospective randomized controlled clinical study. BMC Anesthesiol. 2017;17:41 pubmed publisher..Retrospectively registered, registration number: ISRCTN89326952 registration date: 14.07.2016. ..
- Sehgal I, Dhooria S, Aggarwal A, Behera D, Agarwal R. Asynchrony index in pressure support ventilation (PSV) versus neurally adjusted ventilator assist (NAVA) during non-invasive ventilation (NIV) for respiratory failure: systematic review and meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2016;42:1813-1815 pubmed
- Liu Y, Varier I, Ongkasuwan J. Use of Audiometric Measurement for Assessment of Vocal-Fold Function in Postextubation Infants. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;143:908-911 pubmed publisher..Noxious stimuli, especially in neonates in the cardiovascular intensive care unit, may cause imbalance between the pulmonary and systemic circulations and potentially circulatory collapse...
- Dhillon N, Smith E, Ko A, Harada M, Polevoi D, Liang R, et al. Extubation to high-flow nasal cannula in critically ill surgical patients. J Surg Res. 2017;217:258-264 pubmed publisher..Ventilated patients at risk for recurrent respiratory failure have reduced reintubation rates when extubated to HFNC. Patients with prolonged intubation or those with high-risk comorbidities may benefit from extubation to HFNC. ..
- Chao C, Lai C, Cheng A, Chiang S, Liu W, Ho C, et al. Establishing failure predictors for the planned extubation of overweight and obese patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183360 pubmed publisher..90-0.97) were associated with extubation failure. We conclude that the extubation failure risk in overweight and obese patients was associated with cardiovascular system-related respiratory failure, ESRD, and low MIP levels. ..
- Parmar D, Lakhia K, Garg P, Patel K, Shah R, Surti J, et al. Risk Factors for Delayed Extubation after Ventricular Septal Defect Closure: a Prospective Observational Study. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:276-282 pubmed publisher..The objective of our study was to determine the feasibility of early extubation and to identify the risk factors for delayed extubation in pediatric patients operated for ventricular septal defect closure...