Summary: Qualitative and quantitative measurement of MOVEMENT patterns.
- Borde R, Smith J, Sutherland R, Nathan N, Lubans D. Methodological considerations and impact of school-based interventions on objectively measured physical activity in adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2017;18:476-490 pubmed publisher..There is a need for more high-quality research using objective monitoring in this population. Future interventions should comply with best-practice recommendations regarding physical activity monitoring protocols. ..
- Demeyer H, Burtin C, Van Remoortel H, Hornikx M, Langer D, Decramer M, et al. Standardizing the analysis of physical activity in patients with COPD following a pulmonary rehabilitation program. Chest. 2014;146:318-327 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT00948623; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Mankowski R, Anton S, Axtell R, Chen S, Fielding R, Glynn N, et al. Device-Measured Physical Activity As a Predictor of Disability in Mobility-Limited Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2251-2256 pubmed publisher..At baseline, every 30 minutes spent being sedentary (<100 accelerometry counts per minute) was associated with higher rate of subsequent MMD (10%) and PMMD (11%) events...
- Engdal M, Foss O, Taraldsen K, Husby V, Winther S. Daily Physical Activity in Total Hip Arthroplasty Patients Undergoing Different Surgical Approaches: A Cohort Study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;96:473-478 pubmed publisher..The surgical approach may not be a limiting factor for daily physical activity early after surgery in a fast-track treatment course. ..
- Del Pozo Cruz B, Mañas A, Martín García M, Marín Puyalto J, Garcia Garcia F, Rodriguez Manas L, et al. Frailty is associated with objectively assessed sedentary behaviour patterns in older adults: Evidence from the Toledo Study for Healthy Aging (TSHA). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183911 pubmed publisher..Conversely, the time spent in breaks in sedentary time was negatively associated with frailty. In summary, breaking up sedentary time and time spent in sedentary behaviour are associated with frailty in older people. ..
- Gluck S, Chapple L, Chapman M, Iwashyna T, Deane A. A scoping review of use of wearable devices to evaluate outcomes in survivors of critical illness. Crit Care Resusc. 2017;19:197-204 pubmed..To date, only accelerometry has been reported, and the wide variation in methodologies used and the outcomes measured limits synthesis of ..
- Del Din S, Godfrey A, Rochester L. Validation of an Accelerometer to Quantify a Comprehensive Battery of Gait Characteristics in Healthy Older Adults and Parkinson's Disease: Toward Clinical and at Home Use. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2016;20:838-847 pubmed publisher..637-0.370). Further analysis revealed that differences reflect an increased sensitivity of accelerometry to detect motion, rather than measurement error...
- Cliff D, McNeill J, Vella S, Howard S, Kelly M, Angus D, et al. The Preschool Activity, Technology, Health, Adiposity, Behaviour and Cognition (PATH-ABC) cohort study: rationale and design. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:95 pubmed publisher..Direct assessments are made of children's habitual physical activity using accelerometry, cognitive (executive function) and language development (expressive vocabulary), psychosocial development (..
- Sprint G, Cook D, Weeks D. Toward Automating Clinical Assessments: A Survey of the Timed Up and Go. IEEE Rev Biomed Eng. 2015;8:64-77 pubmed publisher..Finally, we analyze the gaps in the implementations and discuss challenges for future research toward automated self-administered assessment in the home. ..
- Wadsworth D, Rudisill M, Hastie P, Irwin J, Rodriguez Hernandez M. Preschoolers' Physical Activity Participation Across a Yearlong Mastery-Motivational Climate Intervention. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2017;88:339-345 pubmed publisher..Free-play activity in and of itself does not appear to stimulate MVPA. ..
- Gilson N, Pavey T, Wright O, Vandelanotte C, Duncan M, Gomersall S, et al. The impact of an m-Health financial incentives program on the physical activity and diet of Australian truck drivers. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:467 pubmed publisher..Outcomes from this feasibility study inform future intervention development for studies with larger samples. ANZCTR12616001513404 . Registered November 2nd, 2016 (retrospectively registered). ..
- Stone E, Skubic M. Unobtrusive, continuous, in-home gait measurement using the Microsoft Kinect. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013;60:2925-32 pubmed publisher..Potential applications and future work are discussed. ..
- Hollis J, Sutherland R, Williams A, Campbell E, Nathan N, Wolfenden L, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity levels in secondary school physical education lessons. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017;14:52 pubmed publisher..e., accelerometry, heart rate monitoring, pedometers or observational measures)...
- Aittasalo M, Livson M, Lusa S, Romo A, Vähä Ypyä H, Tokola K, et al. Moving to business - changes in physical activity and sedentary behavior after multilevel intervention in small and medium-size workplaces. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:319 pubmed publisher..Workplaces can achieve meaningful changes in employees' PA and SB if assisted systematically. Controlled studies are needed to confirm the present findings. NCT01999205 , registration date 11/01/2013. ..
- Baldwin C, van Kessel G, Phillips A, Johnston K. Accelerometry Shows Inpatients With Acute Medical or Surgical Conditions Spend Little Time Upright and Are Highly Sedentary: Systematic Review. Phys Ther. 2017;97:1044-1065 pubmed publisher..The use of wearable monitors to measure these constructs in people who are hospitalized with an acute illness is rapidly expanding, but has not been systematically described...
- Voss C, Dean P, Gardner R, Duncombe S, Harris K. Validity and reliability of the Physical Activity Questionnaire for Children (PAQ-C) and Adolescents (PAQ-A) in individuals with congenital heart disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175806 pubmed publisher..Median PAQ-score was 2.6 (IQR 1.9-3.0). PAQ-Scores were significantly related to accelerometry-derived metrics of physical activity (rho = 0.44-0.55, all p<0.01) and sedentary behaviour (rho = -0...
- Scholes S, Coombs N, Pedisic Z, Mindell J, Bauman A, Rowlands A, et al. Age- and sex-specific criterion validity of the health survey for England Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior Assessment Questionnaire as compared with accelerometry. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1493-502 pubmed publisher..PASBAQ) was examined in a nationally representative sample of 2,175 persons aged ?16 years in England using accelerometry. Using accelerometer minutes/day greater than or equal to 200 counts as a criterion, Spearman's correlation ..
- Visser M, Koster A. Development of a questionnaire to assess sedentary time in older persons--a comparative study using accelerometry. BMC Geriatr. 2013;13:80 pubmed publisher..older persons on a set of sedentary activities, and to compare this with objective sedentary time measured by accelerometry. The second aim was to determine what set of self-reported sedentary activities should be used to validly rank ..
- Snipelisky D, Kelly J, Levine J, Koepp G, Anstrom K, McNulty S, et al. Accelerometer-Measured Daily Activity in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction: Clinical Correlates and Association With Standard Heart Failure Severity Indices. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;10:e003878 pubmed publisher..URL: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/. Unique identifier: NCT02053493. ..
- Rossen J, Buman M, Johansson U, Yngve A, Ainsworth B, Brismar K, et al. Reallocating bouted sedentary time to non-bouted sedentary time, light activity and moderate-vigorous physical activity in adults with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181053 pubmed publisher..The results of this study confirm the importance of reallocation sedentary time to MVPA. ..
- Zdravevski E, Risteska Stojkoska B, Standl M, Schulz H. Automatic machine-learning based identification of jogging periods from accelerometer measurements of adolescents under field conditions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184216 pubmed publisher..Identification of jogging periods in adolescents can be performed using only one accelerometer. Performance-wise there is no significant benefit from using accelerometers on both locations. ..
- Papini G, Bonomi A, Stut W, Kraal J, Kemps H, Sartor F. Proof of concept of a 45-second cardiorespiratory fitness self-test for coronary artery disease patients based on accelerometry. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183740 pubmed publisher..91 and RMSEcv = 8.7%. Finally, our accelerometry-based CRF prediction CAD patients, the majority of whom taking ?-blockers, still showed high accuracy (rcv = 0...
- Nath N, Akhavian R, Behzadan A. Ergonomic analysis of construction worker's body postures using wearable mobile sensors. Appl Ergon. 2017;62:107-117 pubmed publisher..Examples include, but are not limited to industry laborers, carpenters, welders, farmers, health assistants, teachers, and office workers. ..
- Ikawa T, Takemura S, Kim M, Takaoka K, Minoda Y, Kadoya Y. Usefulness of an accelerometer-based portable navigation system in total knee arthroplasty. Bone Joint J. 2017;99-B:1047-1052 pubmed publisher..Cite this article: Bone Joint J 2017;99-B:1047-52. ..
- Nguyen H, Lebel K, Boissy P, Bogard S, Goubault E, Duval C. Auto detection and segmentation of daily living activities during a Timed Up and Go task in people with Parkinson's disease using multiple inertial sensors. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017;14:26 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the agility and transferability of using a system of IMUs to accurately detect and segment activities in daily living in people with movement disorders. ..
- Adams M, Hurley J, Todd M, Bhuiyan N, Jarrett C, Tucker W, et al. Adaptive goal setting and financial incentives: a 2 × 2 factorial randomized controlled trial to increase adults' physical activity. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:286 pubmed publisher..Small immediate rewards outperformed larger, delayed rewards. Adaptive goals with either immediate or delayed rewards should be preferred for promoting PA. ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02053259 registered prospectively on January 31, 2014. ..
- Schiefer C, Ellegast R, Hermanns I, Kraus T, Ochsmann E, Larue C, et al. Optimization of inertial sensor-based motion capturing for magnetically distorted field applications. J Biomech Eng. 2014;136:121008 pubmed publisher..3 deg to 18.9 deg at the forearm heading angle. This study demonstrates that combining ZPs and bidirectional computation can reduce orientation error of IMUs in environments with magnetic field distortion. ..
- Brooke H, Corder K, Griffin S, Ekelund U, van Sluijs E. More of the same or a change of scenery: an observational study of variety and frequency of physical activity in British children. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:761 pubmed publisher..03(1.00-1.06)). Future physical activity interventions and public health strategies could allow for gender specific activity preferences and could target both Variety and Frequency of activities participated in by children. ..
- Sebastião E, Learmonth Y, Motl R. Lower Physical Activity in Persons with Multiple Sclerosis at Increased Fall Risk: A Cross-sectional Study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;96:357-361 pubmed publisher..This underscores the need for well-designed interventions targeting walking in this population who are far from the recommended 10,000 steps, particularly those with IFR. ..
- Yu B, Oh J, Kim Y, Kim T. Accurate measurement of chest compression depth using impulse-radio ultra-wideband sensor on a mattress. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183971 pubmed publisher..136). However, the gaps were significantly different on the foam mattress (48.53 ± 5.65 mm vs. 4.10 ± 2.47 mm, p < 0.001). The IR-UWB sensor could measure the CCD accurately both on the floor and on the foam mattress. ..
- Brunet J, Sabiston C, O Loughlin J, Mathieu M, Tremblay A, Barnett T, et al. Perceived parental social support and moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in children at risk of obesity. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2014;85:198-207 pubmed..Children's gender and weight status need to be considered when studying parental support for physical activity. Further, type and source of support should be differentiated in future research. ..
- Chaix B, Kestens Y, Duncan S, Merrien C, Thierry B, Pannier B, et al. Active transportation and public transportation use to achieve physical activity recommendations? A combined GPS, accelerometer, and mobility survey study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014;11:124 pubmed publisher..1%). Information on transportation modes and accelerometry data aggregated at the trip level [number of steps taken, energy expended, moderate to vigorous physical ..
- Thraen Borowski K, Gennuso K, Cadmus Bertram L. Accelerometer-derived physical activity and sedentary time by cancer type in the United States. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182554 pubmed publisher..As such, sedentary behavior and light-intensity activity may be important intervention targets, particularly for those for whom moderate-to-vigorous activity is not well accepted. ..
- Hernández Pliego J, Rodriguez C, Dell Omo G, Bustamante J. Combined use of tri-axial accelerometers and GPS reveals the flexible foraging strategy of a bird in relation to weather conditions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177892 pubmed publisherTri-axial accelerometry has proved to be a useful technique to study animal behavior with little direct observation, and also an effective way to measure energy expenditure, allowing a refreshing revisit to optimal foraging theory...
- Adamo K, Wasenius N, Grattan K, Harvey A, Naylor P, Barrowman N, et al. Effects of a Preschool Intervention on Physical Activity and Body Composition. J Pediatr. 2017;188:42-49.e2 pubmed publisher..isrctn: isrctn94022291. ..
- Noonan R, Fairclough S, Knowles Z, Boddy L. Context matters! sources of variability in weekend physical activity among families: a repeated measures study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:330 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrates the utility of PA diaries in conjunction with accelerometers to provide understanding of the mode and contexts of out-of-school and family-based PA. ..
- Skrede T, Stavnsbo M, Aadland E, Aadland K, Anderssen S, Resaland G, et al. Moderate-to-vigorous physical activity, but not sedentary time, predicts changes in cardiometabolic risk factors in 10-y-old children: the Active Smarter Kids Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;105:1391-1398 pubmed publisher..1% males; 50.9% females) in which sedentary time and physical activity were measured with the use of accelerometry. Systolic blood pressure, waist circumference (WC), and fasting blood sample (total cholesterol, high-density ..
- Slobounov S, Walter A, Breiter H, Zhu D, Bai X, Bream T, et al. The effect of repetitive subconcussive collisions on brain integrity in collegiate football players over a single football season: A multi-modal neuroimaging study. Neuroimage Clin. 2017;14:708-718 pubmed publisher..Whether these changes reflect compensatory adaptation to cumulative head impacts or more lasting alteration of brain integrity remains to be further explored. ..
- Fontana J, Farooq M, Sazonov E. Automatic ingestion monitor: a novel wearable device for monitoring of ingestive behavior. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1772-9 pubmed publisher..Results showed that the system was able to detect food intake with an average accuracy of 89.8%, which suggests that AIM can potentially be used as an instrument to monitor ingestive behavior in free-living individuals. ..
- McCrorie P, Fenton C, Ellaway A. Combining GPS, GIS, and accelerometry to explore the physical activity and environment relationship in children and young people - a review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2014;11:93 pubmed publisher..reviews studies that have combined Global Positioning Systems (GPS), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and accelerometry to investigate the PA-environment relationship in children and young people (5-18 years old)...
- Banks L, Rosenthal S, Manlhiot C, Fan C, McKillop A, Longmuir P, et al. Exercise Capacity and Self-Efficacy are Associated with Moderate-to-Vigorous Intensity Physical Activity in Children with Congenital Heart Disease. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1206-1214 pubmed publisher..Medical history was abstracted from chart review. We assessed MVPA levels (via accelerometry), percent-predicted peak oxygen consumption ([Formula: see text] cardiopulmonary exercise test), gross motor ..
- Gupta P, Dallas T. Feature selection and activity recognition system using a single triaxial accelerometer. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1780-6 pubmed publisher..Activity recognition results on seven subjects with leave-one-person-out error estimates show an overall accuracy of about 98% for both the classifiers. Accuracy for each of the individual activity is also more than 95%. ..
- Downing K, Hinkley T, Salmon J, Hnatiuk J, Hesketh K. Do the correlates of screen time and sedentary time differ in preschool children?. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:285 pubmed publisher..With correlates differing for screen and sedentary time, and between boys and girls, interventions may also benefit from including behaviour- and sex-specific strategies. ..
- Fraysse B, Barthélémy I, Qannari E, Rouger K, Thorin C, Blot S, et al. Gait characterization in golden retriever muscular dystrophy dogs using linear discriminant analysis. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:153 pubmed publisher..b>Accelerometry was performed twice monthly between the ages of 2 and 12 months on 8 healthy and 20 GRMD dogs...
- Pulakka A, Cheung Y, Maleta K, Dewey K, Kumwenda C, Bendabenda J, et al. Effect of 12-month intervention with lipid-based nutrient supplement on the physical activity of Malawian toddlers: a randomised, controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2017;117:511-518 pubmed publisher..LNS, given to mothers during pregnancy and 6 months postpartum and to their infants from 6 to 18 months of age, did not increase physical activity among 18-month-old children. ..
- Liu J, Lockhart T. Development and evaluation of a prior-to-impact fall event detection algorithm. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:2135-40 pubmed publisher..65% specificity, and 255 ms response time. Therefore, it was concluded that the new fall detection algorithm was able to effectively detect falls during motion for the elderly population. ..
- Fini N, Holland A, Keating J, Simek J, Bernhardt J. How Physically Active Are People Following Stroke? Systematic Review and Quantitative Synthesis. Phys Ther. 2017;97:707-717 pubmed publisher..Physical activity levels do not meet guidelines following stroke. Time spent inactive and sedentary is high at all times. Increasing PA and developing standardized activity targets may be important across all stages of stroke recovery. ..
- LaCroix A, Rillamas Sun E, Buchner D, Evenson K, Di C, Lee I, et al. The Objective Physical Activity and Cardiovascular Disease Health in Older Women (OPACH) Study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:192 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00000611 . Registered 27 October 1999. ..
- Ligorio G, Sabatini A. A Novel Kalman Filter for Human Motion Tracking With an Inertial-Based Dynamic Inclinometer. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2015;62:2033-43 pubmed publisher..Accurately discriminating the two components present in the triaxial accelerometer signal is well suited for studying both the rotational and the linear body kinematics. ..
- Arredondo E, Elder J, Haughton J, Slymen D, Sallis J, Perez L, et al. Fe en Acción: Promoting Physical Activity Among Churchgoing Latinas. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1109-1115 pubmed publisher..A faith-based intervention was effective in increasing MVPA and decreasing body mass index among participants. Process analyses showed the value of program attendance and motivational interviewing calls. ..
- O Reilly M, Whelan D, Ward T, Delahunt E, Caulfield B. Classification of lunge biomechanics with multiple and individual inertial measurement units. Sports Biomech. 2017;16:342-360 pubmed publisher..A five-IMU set-up can also detect specific deviations with 70% accuracy. System efficiency was improved and classification quality was maintained when using only 20% of the top-ranked features for training and testing classifiers. ..
- Barrantes S, Sánchez Egea A, González Rojas H, Marti M, Compta Y, Valldeoriola F, et al. Differential diagnosis between Parkinson's disease and essential tremor using the smartphone's accelerometer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183843 pubmed publisher..The proposed method can give immediate results for the clinician to gain valuable information for the diagnosis of tremor. This can be useful in environments where more sophisticated diagnostic techniques are unavailable. ..
- Sabia S, van Hees V, Shipley M, Trenell M, Hagger Johnson G, Elbaz A, et al. Association between questionnaire- and accelerometer-assessed physical activity: the role of sociodemographic factors. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:781-90 pubmed publisher..Future studies should identify the aspects of physical activity that are most critical for health; this involves better understanding of the instruments being used. ..
- Kamada Y, Masuda T, Tanaka S, Akiyama A, Nakamura T, Hamazaki N, et al. Muscle Weakness Is Associated With an Increase of Left Ventricular Mass Through Excessive Blood Pressure Elevation During Exercise in Patients With Hypertension. Int Heart J. 2017;58:551-556 pubmed publisher..331, P = 0.010). Our findings suggest that muscle weakness is associated with an increase of LVM through excessive BP elevation during exercise in patients with hypertension. ..
- Elmesmari R, Reilly J, Martin A, Paton J. Accelerometer measured levels of moderate-to-vigorous intensity physical activity and sedentary time in children and adolescents with chronic disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179429 pubmed publisher..Tailored and disease appropriate intervention strategies may be needed to increase MVPA and reduce ST in children and adolescents with chronic disease. ..
- van Nassau F, Mackenbach J, Compernolle S, De Bourdeaudhuij I, Lakerveld J, van der Ploeg H. Individual and environmental correlates of objectively measured sedentary time in Dutch and Belgian adults. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186538 pubmed publisher..These findings may be used to inform the development of strategies and interventions aimed at reducing sedentary time, and to identify high risk groups...
- Poston L, Briley A, Barr S, Bell R, Croker H, Coxon K, et al. Developing a complex intervention for diet and activity behaviour change in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT trial); assessment of behavioural change and process evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013;13:148 pubmed publisher..isrctn89971375. ..
- Hallman D, Birk Jørgensen M, Holtermann A. Objectively measured physical activity and 12-month trajectories of neck-shoulder pain in workers: A prospective study in DPHACTO. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:288-298 pubmed publisher..However, depending on sex and domain, high physical activity had an unfavourable effect on the course of NSP over 12 months. ..
- Aggio D, Smith L, Fisher A, Hamer M. Context-Specific Associations of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior With Cognition in Children. Am J Epidemiol. 2016;183:1075-82 pubmed publisher..1, 95% CI: -2.0, -0.3). Associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior with cognition appear to be context-specific in young people. ..
- Fenton S, Veldhuijzen van Zanten J, Kitas G, Duda J, Rouse P, Yu C, et al. Sedentary behaviour is associated with increased long-term cardiovascular risk in patients with rheumatoid arthritis independently of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:131 pubmed publisher..patterns (sedentary time, sedentary bouts, sedentary breaks), LPA and MVPA were measured via 7-days of accelerometry. Ten-year CVD risk was computed (Q-risk-score2), and functional disability determined via questionnaire...
- Jago R, Solomon Moore E, Macdonald Wallis C, Sebire S, Thompson J, Lawlor D. Change in children's physical activity and sedentary time between Year 1 and Year 4 of primary school in the B-PROACT1V cohort. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017;14:33 pubmed publisher..Result support early interventions to prevent the age-related decline in children's physical activity. ..
- Matsushima A, Yoshida K, Genno H, Ikeda S. Principal component analysis for ataxic gait using a triaxial accelerometer. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017;14:37 pubmed publisher..We propose that this score provides a novel method to assess the severity of ataxic gait quantitatively using a triaxial accelerometer. ..
- Corder K, Craggs C, Jones A, Ekelund U, Griffin S, van Sluijs E. Predictors of change differ for moderate and vigorous intensity physical activity and for weekdays and weekends: a longitudinal analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10:69 pubmed publisher..Encouraging peer support to increase weekday PA and targeting parent support for weekend PA may be health promotion priorities. ..
- Ferreira J, Carvalho E, Ferreira B, de Souza C, Suhara Y, Pentland A, et al. Driver behavior profiling: An investigation with different smartphone sensors and machine learning. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174959 pubmed publisher..The results show that specific combinations of sensors and intelligent methods allow classification performance improvement. ..