Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inorganic compounds that include a positively charged tetrahedral nitrogen (ammonium ion) as part of their structure. This class of compounds includes a broad variety of simple ammonium salts and derivatives.
- Wilson K, Han Y, Zhang M, Hess J, Chapman K, Cline G, et al. Inter-relations between 3-hydroxypropionate and propionate metabolism in rat liver: relevance to disorders of propionyl-CoA metabolism. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2017;313:E413-E428 pubmed publisher..e., millimolar, concentrations of labeled propionate used to trace the intermediary metabolism, in particular, inhibition of CAC flux and major decreases in the [ATP]/[ADP] and [ATP]/[AMP] ratios. ..
- Zhou Q, Gao J, Zhang R, Zhang R. Ammonia stress on nitrogen metabolism in tolerant aquatic plant-Myriophyllum aquaticum. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;143:102-110 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study may support the studies on detoxification of high ammonium ion content in NH4+-tolerant submerged macrophytes and exploration of tissue-specific expression systems. ..
- Sivieri K, Morales M, Adorno M, Sakamoto I, Saad S, Rossi E. Lactobacillus acidophilus CRL 1014 improved "gut health" in the SHIME reactor. BMC Gastroenterol. 2013;13:100 pubmed publisher..01). This study showed the beneficial influence of L. acidophilus CRL 1014 on microbial metabolism and lactobacilli community composition for improving human health. ..
- Tian Q, Zhuang L, Ong S, Wang Q, Wang K, Xie X, et al. Phosphorus (P) recovery coupled with increasing influent ammonium facilitated intracellular carbon source storage and simultaneous aerobic phosphorus & nitrogen removal. Water Res. 2017;119:267-275 pubmed publisher..e., simultaneous nitrification and denitrification, P accumulation and carbon source-regulated P recovery can be achieved by the symbiotic functional groups in a single biofilm reactor. ..
- Habib R, Asif M, Iftekhar S, Khan Z, Gurung K, Srivastava V, et al. Influence of relaxation modes on membrane fouling in submerged membrane bioreactor for domestic wastewater treatment. Chemosphere. 2017;181:19-25 pubmed publisher..Under all relaxation modes, COD removal efficiency ranged from 92 to 96.5%. Ammonium and TP removal were on the lower side due to the short solids and hydraulic retention time. ..
- Thomas P, Dunn G, Passero M, Feris K. Free ammonia offers algal crop protection from predators in dairy wastewater and ammonium-rich media. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:724-730 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that algal crops can be protected from rotifers, without productivity loss, by elevating free ammonia for 6 or more hours. ..
- Meng J, Li J, Li J, Deng K, Nan J, Xu P. Effect of reflux ratio on nitrogen removal in a novel upflow microaerobic sludge reactor treating piggery wastewater with high ammonium and low COD/TN ratio: Efficiency and quantitative molecular mechanism. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:922-931 pubmed publisher
- Xu Y, He T, Li Z, Ye Q, Chen Y, Xie E, et al. Nitrogen Removal Characteristics of Pseudomonas putida Y-9 Capable of Heterotrophic Nitrification and Aerobic Denitrification at Low Temperature. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:1429018 pubmed publisher..The experimental results indicate that P. putida Y-9 has potential application for the treatment of wastewater containing high concentrations of ammonium along with its oxidation products at low temperature...
- Korshunova G, Shishkina A, Skulachev M. Design, Synthesis, and Some Aspects of the Biological Activity of Mitochondria-Targeted Antioxidants. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2017;82:760-777 pubmed publisher..It also describes the synthesis of mitochondria-targeted antioxidants - uncouplers of oxidative phosphorylation - based on fluorescent dyes. ..
- Zheng X, Dou J, Yuan J, Qin W, Hong X, Ding A. Removal of Cs+ from water and soil by ammonium-pillared montmorillonite/Fe3O4 composite. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;56:12-24 pubmed publisher..In addition, the adsorption mechanism of Cs+ was NH4+ ion exchange and surface hydroxyl group coordination, with the former being more predominant. ..
- Cheng Y, Huang T, Shi X, Wen G, Sun Y. Removal of ammonium ion from water by Na-rich birnessite: Performance and mechanisms. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;57:402-410 pubmed publisher..The results obtained in this study illustrate that the NRB is expected to be an effective and economically viable adsorbent for ammonium ion removal from aqueous system. ..
- Liu S, Li L, Li H, Wang H, Yang P. Study on ammonium and organics removal combined with electricity generation in a continuous flow microbial fuel cell. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:1087-1096 pubmed publisher..This study showed the potential for practical application of continuous flow MFC system treating ammonium/organics rich wastewater and achieving electricity generation simultaneously. ..
- Yang Y, Zhang L, Cheng J, Zhang S, Li B, Peng Y. Achieve efficient nitrogen removal from real sewage in a plug-flow integrated fixed-film activated sludge (IFAS) reactor via partial nitritation/anammox pathway. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:294-301 pubmed publisher..Nitrate accumulated in effluent and PN/A performance deteriorated when residual ammonium was below 1mg/L. On the contrary, long-term stable PN/A operation was achieved when residual ammonium was over 3mg/L. ..
- Liu G, Shirley M, Van K, McFarlin R, Romo D. Rapid assembly of complex cyclopentanes employing chiral, ?,?-unsaturated acylammonium intermediates. Nat Chem. 2013;5:1049-57 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ?,?-unsaturated acylammonium intermediates have broad utility for the design of organocascade and multicomponent processes, with the latter demonstrated by a Michael-Michael-aldol-?-lactonization. ..
- Mazloomi F, Jalali M. Adsorption of ammonium from simulated wastewater by montmorillonite nanoclay and natural vermiculite: experimental study and simulation. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:415 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that MNC and vermiculite have good performance as economic and nature-friendly adsorbents that can ameliorate the water and environment quality. ..
- Trautwein K, Feenders C, Hulsch R, Ruppersberg H, Strijkstra A, Kant M, et al. Non-Redfield, nutrient synergy and flexible internal elemental stoichiometry in a marine bacterium. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..g. colonized algae, coastal areas). Moreover, this study suggests that elemental variability in bacterioplankton needs to be considered in the ecological stoichiometry of the oceans. ..
- Qin Y, Cao Y, Ren J, Wang T, Han B. Effect of glucose on nitrogen removal and microbial community in anammox-denitrification system. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:33-39 pubmed publisher..It indicated that organics concentration had an effect on the microbial communities. ..
- Gonzalez Estrella J, Li G, Neely S, Puyol D, Sierra Alvarez R, Field J. Elemental copper nanoparticle toxicity to anaerobic ammonium oxidation and the influence of ethylene diamine-tetra acetic acid (EDTA) on copper toxicity. Chemosphere. 2017;184:730-737 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study indicates that Cu0 NP and CuCl2 are toxic to anammox, and furthermore, that EDTA attenuates Cu0 NP and CuCl2 toxicity to anammox by complexing Cu2+ ions. ..
- Shi P, Jiang Y, Zhu H, Sun D. Impact of steel slag on the ammonium adsorption by zeolite and a new configuration of zeolite-steel slag substrate for constructed wetlands. Water Sci Technol. 2017;76:584-593 pubmed publisher..Experimental results showed that this novel filling configuration was superior to two other filling configurations in terms of ammonium removal. ..
- Yu X, Wan C, Lei Z, Liu X, Zhang Y, Tay J, et al. Use of aerobic granules for treating synthetic high-strength ammonium wastewaters. Environ Technol. 2014;35:1785-90 pubmed..Dissolved oxygen (DO) was a useful process indicator of the biological reactions in the treatment of high-level ammonium wastewaters. ..
- He T, Xie D, Li Z, Ni J, Sun Q. Ammonium stimulates nitrate reduction during simultaneous nitrification and denitrification process by Arthrobacter arilaitensis Y-10. Bioresour Technol. 2017;239:66-73 pubmed publisher..All experimental results indicated that A. arilaitensis Y-10 could remove ammonium, nitrate and nitrite at 15°C from wastewater, and could also perform simultaneous nitrification and denitrification under aerobic condition. ..
- Fan J, Liu C, Li H, Zhang C, Li W, Mai Y. Molecular Self-Assembly Fabrication and Carrier Dynamics of Stable and Efficient CH3 NH3 Pb(1-x) Snx I3 Perovskite Solar Cells. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:3839-3845 pubmed publisher..This study helps tackle the intractable issue regarding the toxic Pb in perovskite devices and is a step forward toward realizing lead-free PSCs with high stability and efficiency. ..
- Sukenik A, Viner Mozzini Y, Tavassi M, Nir S. Removal of cyanobacteria and cyanotoxins from lake water by composites of bentonite with micelles of the cation octadecyltrimethyl ammonium (ODTMA). Water Res. 2017;120:165-173 pubmed publisher..These results and model calculations suggest that filters packed with granulated composites can secure the safety of drinking water in case of a temporary bloom event of toxic cyanobacteria. ..
- Lin Z, Niu Y, Chen R, Xu W, Li H, Liu C, et al. Fine particulate matter constituents and blood pressure in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A panel study in Shanghai, China. Environ Res. 2017;159:291-296 pubmed publisher..Two constituents (magnesium and calcium) were associated with decreased BP. Organic carbon, elemental carbon, nitrate and ammonium may be mainly responsible for elevated BP from a short-term exposure to PM2.5. ..
- Gosztolai A, Schumacher J, Behrends V, Bundy J, Heydenreich F, Bennett M, et al. GlnK Facilitates the Dynamic Regulation of Bacterial Nitrogen Assimilation. Biophys J. 2017;112:2219-2230 pubmed publisher..This suggests a role for GlnK as a buffer of nitrogen shock after starvation, and provides a further functional link between nitrogen and carbon metabolisms. ..
- Wei H, Wang J, Hassan M, Han L, Xie B. Anaerobic ammonium oxidation-denitrification synergistic interaction of mature landfill leachate in aged refuse bioreactor: Variations and effects of microbial community structures. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:1149-1158 pubmed publisher..The obtained results enhance understanding regarding the microbial community structures of anammox-denitrification bacteria in aged refuse, leading to a more effective controlling of anammox-denitrification process. ..
- Penn S, Boone S, Harvey B, Heiger Bernays W, Tripodis Y, Arunachalam S, et al. Modeling variability in air pollution-related health damages from individual airport emissions. Environ Res. 2017;156:791-800 pubmed publisher..5 for VOCs, with strong seasonality and influence of ambient concentrations. Our findings reinforce the importance of location- and source-specific health damage functions in design of health-maximizing emissions control policies. ..
- Quadri M, Stokes C, Gulsevin A, Felts A, Abboud K, Papke R, et al. Sulfonium as a Surrogate for Ammonium: A New ?7 Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Partial Agonist with Desensitizing Activity. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7928-7934 pubmed publisher..These results offer new insights in understanding nAChR-ligand interactions and provide a new chemical space to target the ?7 nAChR. ..
- Moore E, Bullington B, Weisberg A, Jiang Y, Chang J, Halsey K. Morphological and transcriptomic evidence for ammonium induction of sexual reproduction in Thalassiosira pseudonana and other centric diatoms. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181098 pubmed publisher..The identification of ammonium as an environmental trigger suggests an unexpected link between diatom bloom dynamics and strategies for enhancing population genetic diversity. ..
- Fernández Bayo J, Toniato J, Simmons B, Simmons C. Structure and activity of thermophilic methanogenic microbial communities exposed to quaternary ammonium sanitizer. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;56:164-168 pubmed publisher..However, significant restructuring was observed within the archaeal communities as QAC concentration increased. Further studies to confirm these effects on a larger scale and with a longer retention time are necessary. ..
- Tomaszewski M, Cema G, Ziembińska Buczyńska A. Influence of temperature and pH on the anammox process: A review and meta-analysis. Chemosphere. 2017;182:203-214 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the role of both adaptation to changed conditions and of pH control as well as indicated areas of process operation are discussed. ..
- Raphael K, Carroll D, Murray J, Greene T, Beddhu S. Urine Ammonium Predicts Clinical Outcomes in Hypertensive Kidney Disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2483-2490 pubmed publisher..Low ammonium excretion could identify patients with CKD and normal bicarbonate levels who might benefit from alkali before acidosis develops. ..
- Luque Almagro V, Manso I, Sullivan M, Rowley G, Ferguson S, Moreno ViviÃ¡n C, et al. Transcriptional and translational adaptation to aerobic nitrate anabolism in the denitrifier Paracoccus denitrificans. Biochem J. 2017;474:1769-1787 pubmed publisher..The existence of a regulation mechanism for nitrate assimilation in P. denitrificans, by which nitrate induction operates at both transcriptional and translational levels, is proposed. ..
- Yang Y, Chen Z, Wang X, Zheng L, Gu X. Partial nitrification performance and mechanism of zeolite biological aerated filter for ammonium wastewater treatment. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:473-481 pubmed publisher..All the results demonstrated that ZBAF hold a great potential in the application of partial nitrification for ammonium wastewater treatment. ..