Summary: Ionized gases, consisting of free electrons and ionized atoms or molecules which collectively behave differently than gas, solid, or liquid. Plasma gases are used in biomedical fields in surface modification; biological decontamination; dentistry (e.g., PLASMA ARC DENTAL CURING LIGHTS); and in other treatments (e.g., ARGON PLASMA COAGULATION).
- Cerchier P, Pezzato L, Brunelli K, Dolcet P, Bartolozzi A, Bertani R, et al. Antibacterial effect of PEO coating with silver on AA7075. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;75:554-564 pubmed publisher..The silver particles, found both inside and outside of the pores that characterize the PEO layer, produced an efficacious antimicrobial effect both against E. coli and S. aureus. ..
- Kos Š, Blagus T, Cemazar M, Filipic G, Sersa G, Cvelbar U. Safety aspects of atmospheric pressure helium plasma jet operation on skin: In vivo study on mouse skin. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174966 pubmed publisher..How these damages can be mitigated is discussed in order to provide guidance, when using atmospheric pressure plasma jets for skin treatments. ..
- Canullo L, Peñarrocha D, Micarelli C, Massidda O, Bazzoli M. Hard tissue response to argon plasma cleaning/sterilisation of customised titanium abutments versus 5-second steam cleaning: results of a 2-year post-loading follow-up from an explanatory randomised controlled trial in periodontally healthy patients. Eur J Oral Implantol. 2013;6:251-60 pubmed..It is therefore important to use cleaned and sterilised customised abutments in patients. ..
- Dong S, Wang J, Cheng L, Lu Y, Li S, Chen Y. Behavior of Zein in Aqueous Ethanol under Atmospheric Pressure Cold Plasma Treatment. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7352-7360 pubmed publisher..The reinforced flexibility and tensile strength of zein films had been observed after treatment on film-forming solution. This study provided an experimental basis for the investigation on behavior of plasma-treated protein in solution. ..
- Kim T, Lee J, Kim H, Jo C. Plasma-Induced Degradation of Quercetin Associated with the Enhancement of Biological Activities. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:6929-6935 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that structural changes in quercetin induced by DBD plasma might be attributable to improving the biological activity. ..
- Gümbel D, Gelbrich N, Napp M, Daeschlein G, Kramer A, Sckell A, et al. Peroxiredoxin Expression of Human Osteosarcoma Cells Is Influenced by Cold Atmospheric Plasma Treatment. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:1031-1038 pubmed..Antioxidant supplementation with NAC increases proliferation of CAP-treated osteosarcoma cells, implicating an involvement of redox signalling. Activation of PRX1 and -2 indicate CAP affects redox homeostasis. ..
- Bhide S, Salvi D, Schaffner D, Karwe M. Effect of Surface Roughness in Model and Fresh Fruit Systems on Microbial Inactivation Efficacy of Cold Atmospheric Pressure Plasma. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1337-1346 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the microbial inactivation efficacy of CAPP in real-world food systems, such as on fresh fruit peels, is affected by factors in addition to surface roughness. ..
- Tominami K, Kanetaka H, Sasaki S, Mokudai T, Kaneko T, Niwano Y. Cold atmospheric plasma enhances osteoblast differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180507 pubmed publisher..Appropriate plasma irradiation stimulated the osteoblastic differentiation of the cells. This process offers the potential of promoting bone regeneration. ..
- Ben Belgacem Z, Carré G, Charpentier E, Le Bras F, Maho T, Robert E, et al. Innovative non-thermal plasma disinfection process inside sealed bags: Assessment of bactericidal and sporicidal effectiveness in regard to current sterilization norms. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180183 pubmed publisher..To conclude this non-thermal plasma sterilization technique could be an opportunity to sterilize heat and chemical-sensitive medical devices and to preserve their sterile state after the end of the process. ..
- Schmidt A, Bekeschus S, Jablonowski H, Barton A, Weltmann K, Wende K. Role of Ambient Gas Composition on Cold Physical Plasma-Elicited Cell Signaling in Keratinocytes. Biophys J. 2017;112:2397-2407 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest differential effects of ROS- and RNS-rich plasma, and may have a role in optimizing clinical plasma applications in chronic wounds. ..
- Jiang X, Lee S, Mok C, Lee J. Sustainable Methods for Decontamination of Microcystin in Water Using Cold Plasma and UV with Reusable TiO? Nanoparticle Coating. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..It can be also easily and practically used in household settings during emergency situations. ..
- Cui H, Joo S, Lee D, Yu J, Jeong J, Kim J, et al. Low temperature plasma induces angiogenic growth factor via up-regulating hypoxia-inducible factor 1Î± in human dermal fibroblasts. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;630:9-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide information on the molecular mechanism by which LTP application may promote angiogenesis and will aid in developing methods to improve wound healing. ..
- Wang Y, Liu X, Fan T, Tan Z, Zhou Z, He D. In vitro evaluation of hydroxyapatite coatings with (002) crystallographic texture deposited by micro-plasma spraying. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;75:596-601 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, HA coating with weak and no crystallographic texture induced apatite layer. However, vertical cracks and cleavage at coating-apatite interface may cause coating separation. ..
- Sakudo A, Toyokawa Y, Imanishi Y, Murakami T. Crucial roles of reactive chemical species in modification of respiratory syncytial virus by nitrogen gas plasma. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2017;74:131-136 pubmed publisher..Thus, RCS generated by gas plasma appears to be crucial for virus inactivation, suggesting this may constitute an important factor in terms of the efficient modification of nanoparticles composed of soft materials. ..
- Ho G, Faizal H, Ani F. Microwave induced plasma for solid fuels and waste processing: A review on affecting factors and performance criteria. Waste Manag. 2017;69:423-430 pubmed publisher..Therefore, emphasis on retention time is necessary in order to improve the performance of microwave plasma gasification of solid fuels and wastes. ..
- Schmidt A, Woedtke T, Stenzel J, Lindner T, Polei S, Vollmar B, et al. One Year Follow-Up Risk Assessment in SKH-1 Mice and Wounds Treated with an Argon Plasma Jet. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the beneficial effects of cold plasma in wound healing come without apparent side effects including tumor formation or chronic inflammation. ..
- Choi J, Song Y, Lee H, Kim G, Hong J. The topical application of low-temperature argon plasma enhances the anti-inflammatory effect of Jaun-ointment on DNCB-induced NC/Nga mice. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:340 pubmed publisher..The effect of LTAP may be attributed to enhancement of drug penetration and regulation of NF?B activity. Therefore, the combination treatment of JO and LTAP could be a potential strategy for the treatment of AD. ..
- Liao X, Xiang Q, Liu D, Chen S, Ye X, Ding T. Lethal and Sublethal Effect of a Dielectric Barrier Discharge Atmospheric Cold Plasma on Staphylococcus aureus. J Food Prot. 2017;80:928-932 pubmed publisher..aureus cells. Mild action of cold plasma induced both a large inactivation and a sublethal injury of S. aureus . Therefore, it is significant to optimize the processing of cold plasma sterilization in practice to ensure food safety. ..
- Amini M, Ghoranneviss M, Abdijadid S. Effect of cold plasma on crocin esters and volatile compounds of saffron. Food Chem. 2017;235:290-293 pubmed publisher..There was no trans-2G, cis-4GG or cis-3Gg compounds observed after the Ar/10% O2 cold plasma treatment at 12kV. ..
- Volkov A, Xu K, Kolobov V. Cold plasma interactions with plants: Morphing and movements of Venus flytrap and Mimosa pudica induced by argon plasma jet. Bioelectrochemistry. 2017;118:100-105 pubmed publisher..Our work offers new insight into mechanisms which trigger plant morphing and movement. ..
- Sarangapani C, Ryan Keogh D, Dunne J, Bourke P, Cullen P. Characterisation of cold plasma treated beef and dairy lipids using spectroscopic and chromatographic methods. Food Chem. 2017;235:324-333 pubmed publisher..Understanding cold plasma interactions with food lipids and the critical parameters governing lipid oxidation is required prior to the industrial adoption of this technology for food products with high fat contents. ..
- Patange A, Boehm D, Bueno Ferrer C, Cullen P, Bourke P. Controlling Brochothrix thermosphacta as a spoilage risk using in-package atmospheric cold plasma. Food Microbiol. 2017;66:48-54 pubmed publisher..The overall results indicated potential of ACP to enhance microbial control leading to meat storage life extension through adjusting the modality of treatment. ..
- Karki S, Yildirim Ayan E, Eisenmann K, Ayan H. Miniature Dielectric Barrier Discharge Nonthermal Plasma Induces Apoptosis in Lung Cancer Cells and Inhibits Cell Migration. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:8058307 pubmed publisher..5%, 14.1%, and 6.3% of the cell population, respectively. Additionally, we observed reduced A549 cell migration in response to mDBD plasma treatment. Thus, mDBD plasma system can be a viable platform for localized lung cancer therapy. ..
- Li W, Yu K, Ma J, Shen J, Cheng C, Zhou F, et al. Non-thermal plasma induces mitochondria-mediated apoptotic signaling pathway via ROS generation in HeLa cells. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;633:68-77 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insights to the therapeutic potential and clinical research of NTP as a novel tool in cervical cancer treatment. ..
- Ramakers M, Trenchev G, Heijkers S, Wang W, Bogaerts A. Gliding Arc Plasmatron: Providing an Alternative Method for Carbon Dioxide Conversion. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:2642-2652 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we indicate how the performance of the GAP can still be improved by further exploiting its non-equilibrium character. Hence, it is clear that the GAP is very promising for CO2 conversion. ..