Summary: A group of techniques developed to apply scientific methods and tools to solve the problems of DECISION MAKING in complex organizations and systems. Operations research searches for optimal solutions in situations of conflicting GOALS and makes use of mathematical models from which solutions for actual problems may be derived. (From Psychiatric Dictionary, 6th ed)
Publications213 found, 100 shown here
- A study of the effects of innovative and efficient practices on the performance of hospice care organizationsEric G Kirby
Department of Management, McCoy College of Business Administration, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:352-9. 2007..Hospice care organizations have responded to these pressures by pursuing more efficient and innovative business practices...
- An approach to the problems of diagnosing and treating adult smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in high-HIV-prevalence settings in sub-Saharan AfricaA D Harries
College of Medicine, Chichiri, Blantyre, Malawi
Bull World Health Organ 76:651-62. 1998..Nevertheless, substantial improvement could be obtained by implementing the effective measures already available, such as improved adherence to diagnostic and treatment guidelines...
- Expanding uterotonic protection following childbirth through community-based distribution of misoprostol: operations research study in NepalSwaraj Rajbhandari
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 108:282-8. 2010..To determine feasibility of community-based distribution of misoprostol for preventing postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) to pregnant woman through community volunteers working under government health services...
- Community-based distribution of misoprostol to prevent postpartum haemorrhage at home births: results from operations research in rural GhanaS Geller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA Center for Research on Women and Gender, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
BJOG 121:319-25. 2014..To report on a rigorous distribution and monitoring plan to track misoprostol for community-based distribution to reduce postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) in rural Ghana...
- The Union and Médecins Sans Frontières approach to operational researchA D Harries
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:144-54, i. 2011....
- Can modeling of HIV treatment processes improve outcomes? Capitalizing on an operations research approach to the global pandemicWei Xiong
Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:166. 2008..We describe the application of classic operations research (OR) techniques to address logistical and resource management challenges in HIV treatment scale-up ..
- Capacity building for international tuberculosis control through operations research trainingK F Laserson
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:145-50. 2005..This includes setting program priorities, operations planning, and implementing and evaluating program activities...
- Discrete event simulation of emergency department activity: a platform for system-level operations researchLloyd G Connelly
School of Medicine, 2315 Stockton Boulevard, PSSB 2100, UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:1177-85. 2004..The authors also demonstrate one potential application of EDSIM by using simulated ED activity to compare two patient triage methods...
- Designing pediatric vaccine formularies and pricing pediatric combination vaccines using operations research models and algorithmsSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 2:15-9. 2003..This review discusses how operations research models can be used to address the economics of pediatric vaccine formulary design and pricing, as well as ..
- Overcoming the barriers to implementation of operations research simulation models in healthcareSally Brailsford
School of Management, University of Southampton, UK
Clin Invest Med 28:312-5. 2005Since the 1960s, Operations Research models have been applied to a range of healthcare problems...
- Integration of operational research into National Tuberculosis Control ProgrammesAnthony D Harries
Malawi National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Community Health Science Unit, Private Bag 65, Lilongwe, Malawi
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 83:143-7. 2003..Finally, there should be strong advocacy for operational research, so that government policy makers can be convinced of its value...
- The published research paper: is it an important indicator of successful operational research at programme level?R Zachariah
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Operational Centre Brussels, 68 Rue de Gasperich, Luxembourg
Trop Med Int Health 15:1274-7. 2010..We present arguments to support publishing operational research from low-income countries; we highlight some of the main reasons for failure of publication at programme level and suggest ways forward...
- The Sydney Declaration: a call to scale up researchDavid Cooper
University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:7-8. 2007
- Nurses and the Joint Commission tracer methodologyLinda Murphy-Knoll
Division of Accreditation and Certification Operations, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill 60181, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 21:5-7. 2006
- Emergency department structure and operationsJames A Espinosa
Overlook Hospital, 99 Beauvoir Avenue, Summit, NJ 08043, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 22:73-85, vi. 2004..Various theories are noted, but the intent of this article is to be eclectic so as to give the reader a feel for the rich variety of approaches available...
- Enhancing healthcare process design with human factors engineering and reliability science, part 1: setting the contextCarol Boston-Fleischhauer
Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, WA, USA
J Nurs Adm 38:27-32. 2008..An examination of these theories, application approaches, and examples are presented...
- Applying business management models in health careMichael G Trisolini
RTI International, 411 Waverely Oaks Road, Suite 330, Waltham, Massachusetts 02452, USA
Int J Health Plann Manage 17:295-314. 2002..In sum, each of the five models is shown to provide a useful perspective for health care management. Health care managers should gain experience and training with a broader set of business management models...
- The current status of home care nursing practice: part 2: operational trends and future challengesCarolyn J Humphrey
Home Healthc Nurse 20:741-7. 2002
- Organizational and environmental effects on voluntary and involuntary turnoverChristopher Donoghue
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Kean University, Union, NJ, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:360-9. 2007..There are few studies of voluntary and involuntary turnover in the nursing home literature. Previous research in this area has focused mainly on the linear effects of individual and organizational characteristics on total turnover...
- Assessing psychoactive pharmaceuticals and transitioning pharmacological fatigue countermeasures into operational environmentsBrandon K Doan
Biosciences and Protection Division, US Air Force Research Laboratory, Brooks City Base, TX 78235, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C34-8. 2005....
- Operational processes and cognitive mappingEdna R Fiedler
National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C4-6. 2005....
- Hospital quality, efficiency, and input slack differentialsVivian G Valdmanis
Department of Health Policy and Public Health, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1830-48. 2008..To use an advance in data envelopment analysis (DEA) called congestion analysis to assess the trade-offs between quality and efficiency in U.S. hospitals...
- Towards a systemic understanding of a hospital waiting listJ L Foote
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Limited, Christchurch, New Zealand
J Health Organ Manag 18:140-54. 2004..The case study reported helps to shed light on why increasing funding to clear waiting lists proves ineffective...
- How do integrated delivery systems adopt and implement clinical information systems?Bryan J Weiner
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:51-66. 2004..Using case study methods, we identified general themes and explored how organizational context factors and information technology characteristics affect adoption and implementation processes...
- Ethics orientation as a mediator of organizational integrity in health services organizationsE Jose Proenca
Department of Health and Medical Services Administration, School of Business Administration, Widener University, Chester, PA, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:40-50. 2004..Furthermore, program elements that induced both orientations have a larger impact on integrity. These findings have important implications for health services managers involved in designing and implementing an ethics program...
- Uncertainty in health care environments: myth or reality?James W Begun
Department of Health Care Management, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:31-9. 2004..Exploratory judgments of the complexity and dynamism of the environment of health care organizations are included...
- Early-stage success in service line implementationTimothy J Hoff
Department of Health Policy, Management, and Behavior, School of Public Health, University at Albany, State University of New York, Rensselaer, NY, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:17-30. 2004..The organization examined was the Behavioral Health Service Line of the Upstate New York Veterans Healthcare Network...
- How can ergonomics influence design? Moving from research findings to future systemsSidney W A Dekker
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Division of Industrial Ergonomics, Linkoping Institute of Technology, SE 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Ergonomics 47:1624-39. 2004..Better understanding of the processes necessary to bridge this gap may be critical for progress in ergonomics research and for the use of its findings in actual design processes...
- A conceptual model of emergency department crowdingBrent R Asplin
Department of Emergency Medicine, Regions Hospital and HealthPartners Research Foundation, and University of Minnesota Medical School, St Paul and Minneapolis, MN 55101, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:173-80. 2003..The goal of the conceptual model is to provide a practical framework on which an organized research, policy, and operations management agenda can be based to alleviate ED crowding...
- Performance enhancement of a contract net protocol based system through instance-based learningUmesh Deshpande
IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern 35:345-58. 2005
- Physician office productivity improvement through operations analysis and process redesignEugene L McCarthy
Partner HealthCARE Management Consulting, LLC, Reading, Massachusetts, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 25:37-52. 2002..Opportunities for cost reduction, increased revenues, and increased patient and physician satisfaction are identified...
- Operations research methods applied to workflow in a medical records departmentS Y Edna Chan
Operations Research, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7913, USA
Health Care Manag Sci 5:191-9. 2002..The findings provided insight into the workflow, staffing and performance of the department...
- Potential paradigm for assessments of biomedical technologies in the operational environmentBernard M Corona
U S Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory, Columbia, MD 21044, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B245-51. 2007....
- Operational neuroscience: neurophysiological measures in applied environmentsAmy A Kruse
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, 3701 N Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B191-4. 2007..It is our hope that the discussion of this new field of study will galvanize others to increase the confidence and utility of this research through their own investigations...
- Neurocognitive monitors: toward the prevention of cognitive performance decrements and catastrophic failures in the operational environmentMaria L Thomas
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B144-52. 2007....
- Innovation in hospitals: a survey of the literatureFaridah Djellal
Clersé, Ifrési CNRS, Faculty of Economics and Sociology, University of Lille 1, Bâtiment SH1, 59 655, Vileneuve d Ascq Cedex, France
Eur J Health Econ 8:181-93. 2007..This approach makes it possible to extend the model of hospital innovation to incorporate new forms of innovation and new actors in the innovation process, in accordance with the Schumpeterian tradition of openness...
- Improving patient throughputDagmara Scalise
Hosp Health Netw 80:49-54. 2006
- Hassle-free consultingTerese Hudson Thrall
Hosp Health Netw 80:58-60. 2006
- Considerations of pharmacology on fitness for duty in the operational environmentMary A Kautz
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B107-12. 2007....
- Ready or not: enhancing operational effectiveness through use of readiness measuresKeryl A Cosenzo
U S Army Research Laboratory, AMSRD ARL HR SC, Big 459, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005 5425, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B96-106. 2007..not only has implications for selection, training, and system design, but also provides the basis for the proactive development and sustainment of optimal performance, both in individual soldiers, and in small teams or military..
- Markers for enhancing team cognition in complex environments: the power of team performance diagnosisEduardo Salas
Associate, Institute for Simulation and Training, Modeling and Simulation Graduate Program, University of Central Florida, 3100 Technology Parkway, Suite 319, Orlando, FL 32826, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B77-85. 2007..Research needs are discussed in terms of realizing the potential of this approach in operational and embedded training contexts...
- Characterizing team performance in network-centric operations: philosophical and methodological issuesRobert S Bolia
Air Force Research Laboratory, 2255 H Street, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH 45433 7022, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B71-6. 2007..Additional research is recommended to overcome these deficiencies, as well as consideration of novel multidisciplinary approaches that draw on methodologies employed in the social, physical, and biological sciences...
- When to walk away from a dealGeoffrey Cullinan
Harv Bus Rev 82:96-104, 141. 2004..Successful acquirers pay close heed to the results of such in-depth investigations and analyses--to the extent that they are prepared to walk away from a deal, even in the very late stages of negotiations...
- The structure of quality systems is important to the process and outcome, an empirical study of 386 hospital departments in SwedenStefan Kunkel
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
BMC Health Serv Res 7:104. 2007..The objectives of this study were to analyse whether structure, process, and outcome can be used to describe quality systems, to analyse whether these components are related, and to discuss implications...
- Approaching the management of hospital units with an operation research technique: the case of 32 Greek obstetric and gynaecology public unitsMaria Katharaki
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Egnatias 25, 12137 Athens, Greece
Health Policy 85:19-31. 2008....
- A revenue-cycle factoryRobert N Diehl
Patient Acc 25:2-3. 2002
- Performance improvement. Which path is right for your hospital?Lee Ann Runy
Hosp Health Netw 81:6 p following 48, 2. 2007..Which of four prominent performance improvement methods is best for your hospital? First you need to understand exactly what you hope to accomplish and how much you're willing to invest in terms of money, staff time and other resources...
- Current trends in trauma registry the role of the systems analystKatie E Morrison
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Trauma Nurs 11:75-8. 2004
- An analysis of international health care logistics: the benefits and implications of implementing just-in-time systems in the health care industryP Gary Jarrett
Kaiser, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Int J Health Care Qual Assur Inc Leadersh Health Serv 19:i-x. 2006....
- Evaluating primary care research networksEvelyn Fenton
Department of Management, The University of Reading Business School, UK
Health Serv Manage Res 20:162-73. 2007..If there is a good fit or congruence between their input factors and network objectives, networks will be internally coherent and able to operate at optimum effectiveness...
- Success factors in hospital network performance: evidence from KoreaKwang Jum Kim
Graduate School of Health Care Management and Policy, The Catholic University of Korea, Korea
Health Serv Manage Res 20:141-52. 2007..The study finds that the quality of cooperation and information sharing between network partners are critical. The paper concludes with a discussion of the implications for researchers and practitioners...
- Provider integration and local market conditions: a contingency theory perspectiveG J Young
Department of Veterans Affairs, Boston University School of Public Health, Program on Health Policy and Management, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 26:73-9. 2001..This article discusses contingency theory as a conceptual lens for guiding empirical studies of the effectiveness of different types of arrangements...
- Team dynamics and team empowerment in health care organizationsE Jose Proenca
Department of Management, Health Administration and Human Resources, School of Business Administration, Widener University, PA, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:370-8. 2007..Despite the growing pervasiveness of team-based job designs in health care organizations, there is a degree of uncertainty and ambiguity about the process through which teams affect outcomes...
- Caseload management in community children's nursingMary Lewis
Bath and North East Somerset Primary Care Trust
Paediatr Nurs 20:18-22. 2008..This action research project aimed to find ways of managing community children's nursing caseloads that would improve the efficiency, effectiveness and equity of services and inform negotiations with service commissioners...
- Store-bought lessonsBob Kehoe
Mater Manag Health Care 15:24-30. 2006
- Why calculating PACU staffing is so hard and why/how operations research specialists can helpFranklin Dexter
Divison of Management Consulting, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 22:357-9. 2007
- Change your metrics: if you get what you measure, then measure what you want--retentionJ Deane Waldman
ADM Healthcare Consulting, and the School of Medicine and the R O Anderson Graduate Schools of Management, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Med Pract Manage 22:13-9. 2006....
- Improving quality and costStephen Fox
Health Estate 56:27-9. 2002..Dr Fox carries out research and consultancy with Sheffield Hallam University's School of Engineering. His focuses on the formulation and application of design methodologies...
- Coping with changing conditions: alternative strategies for the delivery of maternal and child health and family planning services in Dhaka, BangladeshS Routh
Operations Research Project, Health and Population Extension Division, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Bull World Health Organ 79:142-9. 2001..Against this backdrop, operations research was conducted by the Centre for Health and Population Research at the International Centre for Diarrhoeal ..
- Nurse auxiliaries as providers of intrauterine devices for contraception in Guatemala and HondurasRicardo Vernon
Investigación en Salud y Demografía SC, Mexico City, Mexico
Reprod Health Matters 17:51-60. 2009..b>Operations research in Guatemala and Honduras in 1997-2005, described in this paper, have shown that nurse auxiliaries can ..
- Streamlining administration at the University of Minnesota Medical SchoolPeter Mitsch
University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Acad Med 82:252-7. 2007..In addition, the consultants estimated that if the medical school still had stand-alone departmental administrative units, annual administrative costs would be $3 million higher...
- Modelling the evolution of drug resistance in the presence of antiviral drugsJianhong Wu
Center for Disease Modeling, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, M3J 1P3, Canada
BMC Public Health 7:300. 2007..Mathematical modelling may help guide the design of treatment programs and also may help us better understand the potential benefits and limitations of prevention strategies...
- Postabortion care in Latin America: policy and service recommendations from a decade of operations researchDeborah L Billings
Ipas, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Health Policy Plan 20:158-66. 2005..This article reviews results from 10 major PAC operations research projects conducted in public sector hospitals in seven Latin American countries, completed and published ..
- Ruling out pregnancy among family planning clients: the impact of a checklist in three countriesJohn Stanback
Family Health International, Post Office Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Stud Fam Plann 36:311-5. 2005..Researchers in Guatemala, Mali, and Senegal conducted operations research to determine whether a simple, replicable introduction of this checklist improved access to contraceptive ..
- A large Markovian linear program to optimize replacement policies and dairy herd net income for diets and nitrogen excretionV E Cabrera
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:394-406. 2010..The implementation of a Markovian linear program for dairy decision making provides both robustness and versatility in operations research. The model could become a valuable tool for economic decision making for dairy farms.
- Can research accelerate progress toward millennium development goal 5 (maternal health) in Jamaica?A McCaw-Binns
The Department of Community Health and Psychiatry, The University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
West Indian Med J 57:549-54. 2008..The model from Thailand is put forward for consideration. The operations research model for maternal health can be transferred to other MDG objectives...
- Hybrid optimization techniques for the workshift and rest assignment of nursing personnelC Valouxis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Patras, GR 26500 Rio, Patras, Greece
Artif Intell Med 20:155-75. 2000..A hybrid methodology that utilizes the strengths of operations research and artificial intelligence was used for the solution of the problem...
- Assessing the impact of wastage on pediatric vaccine immunization formulary costs using a vaccine selection algorithmSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, 1206 West Green Street MC 244, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Vaccine 22:2307-15. 2004..b>Operations research models have been developed and used to make economically sound procurement choices from among a growing ..
- An analysis of the average waiting time during the patient discharge process at Kashani Hospital in Esfahan, Iran: a case studySima Ajami
College of Management and Medical Informatics Esfahan Medical Sciences University, Iran
HIM J 36:37-42. 2007..SPSS and Operations Research (O.R.) methods were used to analyse data...
- Large sharing networks and unusual injection practices explain the rapid rise in HIV among IDUs in Sargodha, PakistanAdnan A Khan
Research and Development Solutions, Islamabad, Pakistan
Harm Reduct J 6:13. 2009..Our findings highlight both the importance of qualitative research and operations research to enrich the quality of HIV prevention programs.
- Ethical issues in engineering models: an operations researcher's reflectionsJ Kleijnen
Department of Information Management and Center for Economic Research, Tilburg School of Economics and Management, Tilburg University, Postbox 90153, 5000 LE, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Sci Eng Ethics 17:539-52. 2011This article starts with an overview of the author's personal involvement--as an Operations Research consultant--in several engineering case-studies that may raise ethical questions; e.g...
- Measuring satisfaction with migraine treatment: expectations, importance, outcomes, and global ratingsDonald L Patrick
Departent of Health Services, University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle 98195 7660, USA
Clin Ther 25:2920-35. 2003..Previous work in health services, marketing, and operations research suggested that global ratings of satisfaction need to account for multiple influences and differing patient ..
- 5th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention: summary of key research and implications for policy and practice - operations researchRodney Kort
Kort Consulting, Toronto, M4Y 2T6, Canada
J Int AIDS Soc 13:S5. 2010b>Operations research was added as a fourth scientific track to the pathogenesis conference series at the 5th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention (IAS 2009) in recognition of the importance of this growing research ..
- Optimizing dispersal corridors for the Cape Proteaceae using network flowSteven J Phillips
AT and T Labs Research, 180 Park Avenue, Florham Park, New Jersey 07932, USA
Ecol Appl 18:1200-11. 2008..This allows us to apply well-established tools from operations research and computer science for solving network flow problems...
- Prevalence and Determinants of Self-reported Morbidity among Pregnant Women in Rural Areas of PakistanFarid Midhet
Asia Foundation, Islamabad, Pakistan
Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 1:243-8. 2007..METHOD : The data were collected in a baseline survey that was conducted for an operations research project of the Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan...
- A web-based tool for designing vaccine formularies for childhood immunization in the United StatesSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Computer Science, Simulation and Optimization Laboratory, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:611-9. 2008..The tool integrates general operations research methodologies with specific local practice choices to solve for the lowest overall cost set of vaccines ..
- Operational lessons from 20 years of the Mectizan Donation Program for the control of onchocerciasisB Thylefors
Mectizan Donation Program, Decatur, GA 30030, USA
Trop Med Int Health 13:689-96. 2008..the value of a broad partnership; (iii) the great potential of working through community-directed treatment; (iv) the need to streamline all drug management aspects and (v) the importance of operations research to tackle new challenges.
- Identifying functional modules in protein-protein interaction networks: an integrated exact approachMarcus T Dittrich
Department of Bioinformatics, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wurzburg, Germany
Bioinformatics 24:i223-31. 2008..Various heuristic approaches have been proposed in the literature...
- Cost efficiency in maternal and child health and family planning service delivery in Bangladesh: implications for NGOsSubrata Routh
ZdravPlus Programme Abt Associates Inc, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Health Policy Plan 19:11-21. 2004..The operations research on cost analyses was conducted within the health and family planning programmes of a leading NGO, using the ..
- The Onchocerciasis Control Programme in West Africa (OCP)B Boatin
UNICEF UNDP World Bank WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:13-7. 2008..results, the power of multicountry studies, the need for social science in community-driven endeavours and operations research, and the value of empowering communities as allies in disease control...
- Obstetric first aid in the community--partners in safe motherhood. A strategy for reducing maternal mortalityL Sibley
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Nurse Midwifery 42:117-21. 1997..Special Project staff of the American College of Nurse-Midwives will lead development and testing of the strategy through operations research activities in selected countries.
- The co-adaptive neural network approach to the Euclidean Travelling Salesman ProblemE M Cochrane
Department of Computing, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow G4 0BA, Scotland, UK
Neural Netw 16:1499-525. 2003..we highlight the fact that none of the current NN approaches for the ETSP can compete with state of the art Operations Research heuristics...
- CARTHAGENE: constructing and joining maximum likelihood genetic mapsT Schiex
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Castanet Tolosan, France
Proc Int Conf Intell Syst Mol Biol 5:258-67. 1997..algorithm EM with local search techniques which have been developed in the artificial intelligence and operations research communities...
- Review of the evidence for interventions to increase young people's use of health services in developing countriesBruce Dick
Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 938:151-204; discussion 317-41. 2006..This chapter reviews the evidence base for interventions that aim to increase young people's use of health services in developing countries...
- Operations research in public healthSumit Malhotra
Indian Institute of Public Health, Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi, India
Indian J Public Health 54:145-50. 2010b>Operations Research (OR) is gaining importance in public health interventions and programmes increasingly both nationally and internationally...
- Implementation science for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDSBruce R Schackman
Department of Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:S27-31. 2010..The origins of implementation science include operations research, industrial engineering, and management science...
- The least-cost low-carbohydrate diet is expensiveJohn F Raffensperger
Department of Management, University of Canterbury, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand
Nutr Res 28:6-12. 2008This article describes the use of operations research methods to study the minimum possible cost of a low-carbohydrate diet. The study compares this cost to the minimum cost of a diet with no limitation on carbohydrate...
- Reproductive choice for women and men living with HIV: contraception, abortion and fertilityThérèse Delvaux
STD HIV Research and Intervention Unit, Department of Microbiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Reprod Health Matters 15:46-66. 2007..Support for the reproductive rights of people with HIV is a priority. More operations research on best practices is needed.
- Development of a landfill model to prioritize design and operating objectivesK V H Ohman
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Environ Monit Assess 135:85-97. 2007..Researchers continue to use operations research tools to help optimize landfill design and operating parameters...
- Prioritizing conservation activities using reserve site selection methods and population viability analysisStephen C Newbold
U S Environmental Protection Agency, National Center for Environmental Economics, Washington, DC 20460, USA
Ecol Appl 19:1774-90. 2009..years a large literature on reserve site selection (RSS) has developed at the interface between ecology, operations research, and environmental economics...
- Review article: review of behavioral operations experimental studies of newsvendor problems for operating room managementRuth E Wachtel
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 110:1698-710. 2010..Deciding how much staffing to plan for an OR is analogous to the classic newsvendor problem in operations research. A newsvendor must decide how much product to order based on its cost c and sales price p, plus estimates ..
- Reducing wait times through operations research: optimizing the use of surge capacityJonathan Patrick
UBC Centre for health Care Management, Vancouver, BC, V6T IZ2
Healthc Q 11:77-83. 2008..This paper highlights the significant benefits that can be achieved by applying operations research (OR) methods to healthcare management...
- Million city traveling salesman problem solution by divide and conquer clustering with adaptive resonance neural networksSamuel A Mulder
Applied Computational Intelligence Lab, Department of Computer Science, University of Missouri Rolla, Rolla, MO 65401, USA
Neural Netw 16:827-32. 2003The Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP) is a very hard optimization problem in the field of operations research. It has been shown to be NP-complete, and is an often-used benchmark for new optimization techniques...
- Receptor-agonist interactions in service-theoretic perspective, effects of molecular timing on the shape of dose-response curvesPeter W Kühl
Institute of Theoretical Biology, Munchenstein, BL, Switzerland
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 26:1-34. 2006Service-theoretic concepts and methods, widely used in other fields (e.g., telecommunication and operations research), are useful also in a biochemical setting because the treatment of biocatalysts (enzymes, receptors) as servers and ..
- Effectiveness of a web-based automated cell distribution systemJoyce C Niland
Department of Information Sciences, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, CA 91010 3000, USA
Cell Transplant 19:1133-42. 2010In recent years, industries have turned to the field of operations research to help improve the efficiency of production and distribution processes...
- Health interventions and the persistence of rumour: the circulation of sterility stories in African public health campaignsAmy Kaler
Department of Sociology, University of Alberta, 5 21 HM Tory Building, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2H4
Soc Sci Med 68:1711-9. 2009..Public health operations research has identified these rumours as significant obstacles to programme delivery, but they have been treated ..
- Understanding health care organization needs and context. Beyond performance gapsLaura K Kochevar
VA Colorectal Cancer QUERI and Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research Minneapolis VAMC, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:S25-9. 2006..context effects during implementation, lessons learned from the social sciences (including management and operations research, sociology, and public health) show us that there are also powerful preimplementation tools available to us...
- Executive function in preschoolers: a review using an integrative frameworkNancy Garon
Department of Pediatrics, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Psychol Bull 134:31-60. 2008..Finally, the review outlines a number of areas that warrant further investigation if researchers are to move forward in understanding early EF development...
- Implementing reproductive and child health services in rural Maharashtra, India: a pragmatic approachAlka Barua
Foundation for Research in Health Systems FRHS, Ahmedabad, India
Reprod Health Matters 11:140-9. 2003..This paper describes a seven-year operations research project in Parner block, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra, India, undertaken by the Foundation for Research ..
- Monitoring obstetric services: putting the UN guidelines into practice in Malawi. I: developing the systemE A Goodburn
Centre for Sexual and Reproductive Health, JSI UK, London, UK
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 74:105-17; discussion 118. 2001..A rigorous process of needs assessment, tools development, operations research, field testing and training was conducted...
- UCB/UCSF AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP)Arthur L Reingold; Fiscal Year: 2013..sciences;long term laboratory training;and medium term training in clinical trials/intervention research/operations research. Training in the collaborating countries will focus on having trainees work under the supervision of former ..
- Modeling different strategies to reduce the public health impact of the HCV/HIV eViviane Dias Lima; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposed study has the potential to advance the operations research field, since we will be developing a micro-simulation model of disease progression and transmission which ..
- Optimizing Outcomes for HIV-Exposed and HIV-Infected Children in South AfricaANDREA LYNNE CIARANELLO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Andrea Ciaranello, MD, will pursue coursework in advanced biostatistics and modeling methodology, operations research, and ethical principles pertinent to HIV/AIDS in resource-limited settings. Dr...
- The Role of Economic Evaluation in Translating HIV/AIDS Behavioral InterventionsJose Luis Burgos; Fiscal Year: 2013..the decision-making process among policy makers as it relates to HIV prevention policies;2) expertise in operations research of EB HIV prevention intervention in international settings;3) advanced methods for cost-effectiveness ..
- East Africa IEDEA Regional ConsortiumCONSTANTIN THEODORE YIANNOUTSOS; Fiscal Year: 2013..and impact of care and treatment programs, expand the set of tools available to inform implementation and operations research in resource-constrained settings and inform policy among stakeholders and decision makers at every level in ..
- Nurse Management of Hypertension in Rural Western KenyaRajesh Vedanthan; Fiscal Year: 2013..competence in management sciences and human performance engineering;3) acquire skills in advanced biostatistical and impact evaluation methods;and 4) acquire knowledge of the methods of operations research and modeling.
- AIDS INTERNATIONAL TRAINING AND RESEARCH PROGRAMCarey Farquhar; Fiscal Year: 2012..in 3areas identified as being high priority: Sociobehavioral Research, International Clinical Trials, and Operations Research. An outstanding pool of 32 Core and 56 Resource Faculty ensures excellent mentorship for trainees and ..
- Robust Localized Measures for Brain NetworksEric J Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Scientist at the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI) in Berkeley and an Associate Professor of Operations Research at Cornell University...
- NEW OBSERVATIONAL DATA ANALYSIS METHODS FOR COMPARATIVE EFFECTIVENESS RESEARCHWilliam D Shannon; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rankings (HCR) case-mix adjustment software package combining methods from observational data analysis, operations research, statistics, and mathematics that have not been applied in combination previously in CER and health ..
- Point-of-care CD4 testing to increase antenatal HAART useMwangelwa Mubiana-Mbewe; Fiscal Year: 2013..To our knowledge, this operations research study will be the + first to look at the impact of POC CD4 testing on clinical outcomes. 2
- Optimization modeling and comparative effectiveness of regionalized stroke careCharles C Branas; Fiscal Year: 2013..The broad objective of this proposal is to use operations research techniques to promote the development of optimized regional stroke systems and to compare the effectiveness ..
- Evaluation of the AccuCirc for Early Infant Male Circumcision in Nyanza, KenyaREBECA MILANESI PLANK; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Improving HIV and HCV outcomes in U.S. AIDS Drug Assistance ProgramsBenjamin P Linas; Fiscal Year: 2011..To complement these research efforts, I will pursue course-work in advanced biostatistics, operations research, and the impact of institutional structures on health equity...
- TRUSTMAN E CHARURAT; Fiscal Year: 2013..into HCT, Care, Treatment and Prevention Services at Trusted Community-based Venues" (TRUST) conducts an operations research prospective cohort study that evaluates an intervention that engages each element of the OGAC program in an ..
- HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH TRAININGRichard A Hirth; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., economics, finance, sociology/organizational studies, operations research and decision science, and political science) that can be fruitfully applied to health services research...
- Breast and Prostate Cancer Patterns of Care in KentuckySteven Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2009The purpose of this research is to conduct "enhanced surveillance and operations research using population- based data" from the Kentucky Cancer Registry (KCR)...
- Alcohol and Multisubstance Use in the Veterans Aging Cohort StudyAMY CAROLINE JUSTICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..by alcohol, MSU, HCV, and depression through coordinated, integrated, and externally validated observation, operations research (OR) modeling, and intervention studies...
- Tanzania AIDS and TB ICOHRTAFERDINAND MUKAMA MUGUSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..between the proposed partners including epidemiological and laboratory studies, randomized clinical trials, operations research programs, and existing datasets...
- Workload, Workforce, and Quality of Care in Pediatric HospitalsEVAN SCOTT FIELDSTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..approach to understanding the complex nature of patient flow by applying evidence-based management and operations research to understanding how capacity may be matched to demand/need in a hospital setting and the consequences of ..
- International Network for Strategic Initiatives in Global HIV Trials (INSIGHT)JAMES DENNIS NEATON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The INSIGHT Coordinating and Operations Research Center (CORE) will be located at the Coordinating Centers for Biometric Research, Division of Biostatistics,..
- UGANDA HIV/TB COHRE TRAiNING PROGRAMPeter N Mugyenyi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The short-term and medium- term courses will include health informatics, bioethics, operations research, clinical trials, and dissemination and implementation research...
- Mentoring Patient-Oriented Clinical Investigators in NephrologyGLENN MATTHEW CHERTOW; Fiscal Year: 2013..employ a variety of approaches, including those used in clinical epidemiology, health services research, operations research/decision sciences and clinical trials. Dr...
- Improving Pressure Ulcer Care in Nursing HomesBarbara Bates Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2006..builds on her clinical and teaching experience; 3) cost effectiveness and cost benefit analysis and 4) operations research modeling such that associated costs and staffing resources required for implementing the QA system can be ..
- Consortium to improve Outcomes in HIV/AIDS, Alcohol, Aging &multi-Substance useRONALD SCOTT BRAITHWAITE; Fiscal Year: 2013..comparative effectiveness research (which compares the effectiveness of different interventions) and operations research (which compares alternative portfolios of interventions, rather than comparing single interventions in ..
- VA NET, COORDINATING AND OPERATIONS RESEARCH CENTERJohn Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 2000..VA Net is managed by a Principal Investigator and Associate PI who lead an Executive Committee and a Science Committee, the latter of which initiates and directs the research agenda of VA Net. ..
- APPLICATIONS OF DECISION THEORY TO THE TRIAGE PROCESSROBERT LEDLEY; Fiscal Year: 1980The objective of the proposed project is to develop an operations research methodology to aid the emergency medical triage process. Specifically, this includes the application of a decision theory model to several sample scenarios...
- DEPRESSION AND MEDICAL CARE:AGING AND CLINICAL SETTINGIra Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- The Operations Research Collaboration for Alcohol Abuse and AIDS: ORCAAARONALD SCOTT BRAITHWAITE; Fiscal Year: 2013..ORCAAA (The Operations Research Collaboration for Alcohol Abuse and AIDS) would be a resource core using implementation science to inform ..
- Targeting Interventions to Reduce ErrorsTimothy Hofer; Fiscal Year: 2003..variety of research skills including health services research, clinical epidemiology, medical sociology, operations research and high reliability systems, cognitive psychology, ethics, medical education, and economics...
- QUANTITATIVE TRAINING FOR MENTAL HEALTH RESEARCHPatrick Shrout; Fiscal Year: 2003..The training draws on the curriculum of NYU's Department of Statistics and Operations Research as well as of the Department of Psychology...
- Modeling Participation in the NHIIPatricia Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2007..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): [unreadable] In this resubmission of an exploratory project applying operations research methods to pricing health information exchange alliances we provide greater detail about the research plan, ..
- FAST DIGITAL MICROSCOPE DISIGNS FOR TUMOR DIAGNOSISPeter Bartels; Fiscal Year: 1991..to the operating system so that task scheduling and reconfigurration of the multiprocessor will be based on operations research principles, to maximize throughput...
- Staffing Costs and Behavioral Nutritional InterventionsSANDRA SIMMONS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, the proposed CDA training would be central to the investigator s ability to develop as an independent scientist within her chosen area of gerontological research. ..
- PREDICTION AND OUTCOME MEASUREMENT IN CHILDHOOD CANCERJEFFREY SILBER; Fiscal Year: 1993..Models: with improved prediction and measurement; and utilizing the mathematical tools of economics and operations research, to suggest refined therapeutic regimens which maximize patient utility...
- OPERATIONS RESEARCH AND ECONOMICS IN MENTAL HEALTHKevin Frick; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Statistical/Data Management Center-Pediatric AIDS CTGTerrence Fenton; Fiscal Year: 2006..Center of the Pediatric AIDS Clinical Trials Group (PACTG), in affiliation with the PACTG Coordinating and Operations Research Center application submitted by Dr. Stephen Spector...
- Mental Health Residential Capacity PlanningEri Kuno; Fiscal Year: 2004..models that deal with congestion in a network with finite capacity in diverse scientific fields such as Operations Research, Computer Science, and Communication Engineering...
- GCRC RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMD EMBERG; Fiscal Year: 1999..A Resource Management System to meet GCRC scheduling needs will be developed using Operations Research methods...
- Agents of International Health & Bioterrorism ConcernRobert Novak; Fiscal Year: 2007..and training foci are (1) clinical and molecular epidemiology; (2) applied microbiology; and/or (3) operations research into biodefense/infectious disease rapid response, prevention, and control...
- Quality Life Among Youth with Craniofacial ConditionsDonald Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..S., and one in the United Kingdom. Adolescents and their parents will complete questionnaires at baseline, and gain at 1-2 year clinical follow-up. ..
- Stigma & Quality of Life of Youth w/Facial DifferencesDonald Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2005..Participants for this study will be recruited from sites in Seattle, Chicago, and Chapel Hill, NC. ..
- Does Shared Decision-Making Improve Asthma Outcomes?ALINE BUIST; Fiscal Year: 2005..All participants will be followed for two years with outcome data collected at 12 and 24 months. If effective, this model can be incorporated into clinical practice to improve asthma outcomes and reduce costs. ..
- CYTOREDUCTIVE CHEMOTHERAPY TARGETING HIV RESERVOIRSChristopher Pilcher; Fiscal Year: 2004..the PI with supervised laboratory experiences and didactic training in addition to a closely supervised clinical research experience, leading to R01 submission and establishment of the PI as an independent investigator ..
- HIV Treatment Adherence/Risk Reduction IntegratedSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2009..If shown effective, the intervention model will have implications for community and clinical services for people living with HIV-AIDS. ..
- BRIEF HIV RISK REDUCTION COUNSELINGSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of the proposed study will guide the allocation of HIV prevention resources in establishing brief and effective HIV risk reduction counseling services for populations vulnerable to HIV infection. ..
- HIV TREATMENT ADHERENCE FOR PERSONS WITH LOW-LITERACYSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of the proposed research will provide critical information about improving HIV treatment adherence with low-literacy populations that is needed prior to conducting larger and more expensive clinical trials. ..
- Intervention to Close Digital Divide in AIDS CareSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, the experimental intervention could be readily implemented as a community-based program by AIDS Service Organizations, health centers, and community-based Internet access providers. ..
- APPLIED REGIONALIZATION OF EMERGENCY CARECharles Branas; Fiscal Year: 2004..The operations research work proposed here will meaningfully build on the original TRAMAH by adding hospital volume constraints to ..
- Alcohol and HIV Risk Reduction in South AfricaSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results of the proposed research will provide critical information about the role of alcohol in HIV transmission risks and will offer urgently needed strategies for improving HIV prevention interventions in South Africa. ..
- National Islet Cell Consortium Coordinating CenterJoyce Niland; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Heavy Metal Exposures in Women and Children, the Role of NutrientsRebecca Stoltzfus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The symposium will result in proceedings published in the Journal of Nutrition, one of the most widely read nutrition publications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Brief HIV Prevention Counseling in South AfricaSeth Kalichman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results of this research will therefore test a clinic-based HIV prevention intervention model that is urgently needed in South Africa. ..
- Mathematically modeling the transmission and control of extensively drug resistanSanjay Basu; Fiscal Year: 2008..The goal of this project is to determine how to reduce XDR tuberculosis incidence, using mathematical models of its transmission. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quality of Life of Overweight Youth: Multicultural ViewDonald Patrick; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HCV Treatment Cost-Effectiveness in 3 IDU PopulationsBRUCE SCHACKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeting Acute HIVChristopher Pilcher; Fiscal Year: 2007..Perform detailed cost effectiveness modeling in order to optimize acute HIV-centered efforts at HIV prevention. ..
- ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF THE FAST TRACK INTERVENTIONEDWARD FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., special education); (4) collection and processing of administrative data (e.g., on welfare receipt); (5) development and estimation of statistical models used to predict future social costs. ..
- Case Control Study of Alcohol Outlets & Firearm ViolenceCharles Branas; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this way, health policies to change the numbers and locations of alcohol outlets can become more certain, more effective, and more politically admissible. ..
- The impact of quality end-of-life care in nursing homesSARAH ANN FORBES THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings from this study will drive the development of interventions aimed at differing levels of communication, leadership, communication, and palliative care to improve end-of-life care for nursing home residents. ..