Summary: A group of techniques developed to apply scientific methods and tools to solve the problems of DECISION MAKING in complex organizations and systems. Operations research searches for optimal solutions in situations of conflicting GOALS and makes use of mathematical models from which solutions for actual problems may be derived. (From Psychiatric Dictionary, 6th ed)
Publications181 found, 100 shown here
- A study of the effects of innovative and efficient practices on the performance of hospice care organizationsEric G Kirby
Department of Management, McCoy College of Business Administration, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:352-9. 2007..Hospice care organizations have responded to these pressures by pursuing more efficient and innovative business practices...
- The Union and Médecins Sans Frontières approach to operational researchA D Harries
International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:144-54, i. 2011....
- Capacity building for international tuberculosis control through operations research trainingK F Laserson
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:145-50. 2005..OBJECTIVES: To present a model course for building capacity in basic epidemiology and operations research (OR)...
- The published research paper: is it an important indicator of successful operational research at programme level?R Zachariah
Medecins Sans Frontieres, Operational Centre Brussels, 68 Rue de Gasperich, Luxembourg
Trop Med Int Health 15:1274-7. 2010..We present arguments to support publishing operational research from low-income countries; we highlight some of the main reasons for failure of publication at programme level and suggest ways forward...
- Integration of operational research into National Tuberculosis Control ProgrammesAnthony D Harries
Malawi National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Community Health Science Unit, Private Bag 65, Lilongwe, Malawi
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 83:143-7. 2003..Finally, there should be strong advocacy for operational research, so that government policy makers can be convinced of its value...
- Can modeling of HIV treatment processes improve outcomes? Capitalizing on an operations research approach to the global pandemicWei Xiong
Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:166. 2008..We describe the application of classic operations research (OR) techniques to address logistical and resource management challenges in HIV treatment scale-up ..
- An approach to the problems of diagnosing and treating adult smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in high-HIV-prevalence settings in sub-Saharan AfricaA D Harries
College of Medicine, Chichiri, Blantyre, Malawi
Bull World Health Organ 76:651-62. 1998..Nevertheless, substantial improvement could be obtained by implementing the effective measures already available, such as improved adherence to diagnostic and treatment guidelines...
- Discrete event simulation of emergency department activity: a platform for system-level operations researchLloyd G Connelly
School of Medicine, 2315 Stockton Boulevard, PSSB 2100, UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:1177-85. 2004..A comparative study of triage methods suggests that ART provides a mix of benefits and drawbacks, but further investigation will be required to substantiate these preliminary findings...
- The Sydney Declaration: a call to scale up researchDavid Cooper
University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:7-8. 2007
- Designing pediatric vaccine formularies and pricing pediatric combination vaccines using operations research models and algorithmsSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 2:15-9. 2003..This review discusses how operations research models can be used to address the economics of pediatric vaccine formulary design and pricing, as well as ..
- Expanding uterotonic protection following childbirth through community-based distribution of misoprostol: operations research study in NepalSwaraj Rajbhandari
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 108:282-8. 2010..To determine feasibility of community-based distribution of misoprostol for preventing postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) to pregnant woman through community volunteers working under government health services...
- Early-stage success in service line implementationTimothy J Hoff
Department of Health Policy, Management, and Behavior, School of Public Health, University at Albany, State University of New York, Rensselaer, NY, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:17-30. 2004..The organization examined was the Behavioral Health Service Line of the Upstate New York Veterans Healthcare Network...
- The Hospital Overall Flow Scorecard: an innovative tool in patient flowAndrea Werner
Bellin Hospital, Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 32:703-7. 2006
- When to walk away from a dealGeoffrey Cullinan
Harv Bus Rev 82:96-104, 141. 2004..Successful acquirers pay close heed to the results of such in-depth investigations and analyses--to the extent that they are prepared to walk away from a deal, even in the very late stages of negotiations...
- Ready or not: enhancing operational effectiveness through use of readiness measuresKeryl A Cosenzo
U S Army Research Laboratory, AMSRD ARL HR SC, Big 459, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005 5425, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B96-106. 2007..not only has implications for selection, training, and system design, but also provides the basis for the proactive development and sustainment of optimal performance, both in individual soldiers, and in small teams or military..
- Characterizing team performance in network-centric operations: philosophical and methodological issuesRobert S Bolia
Air Force Research Laboratory, 2255 H Street, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, OH 45433 7022, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B71-6. 2007..Additional research is recommended to overcome these deficiencies, as well as consideration of novel multidisciplinary approaches that draw on methodologies employed in the social, physical, and biological sciences...
- Markers for enhancing team cognition in complex environments: the power of team performance diagnosisEduardo Salas
Associate, Institute for Simulation and Training, Modeling and Simulation Graduate Program, University of Central Florida, 3100 Technology Parkway, Suite 319, Orlando, FL 32826, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B77-85. 2007..Research needs are discussed in terms of realizing the potential of this approach in operational and embedded training contexts...
- [The use of operation research tools as a way of more effective utilization of the resources of health service institutions]Rafał A Sapuła
Zakładu Zarzadzania i Ekonomiki Ochrony Zdrowia, Akademii Medycznej w Lublinie
Wiad Lek 55:440-3. 2002..One of the sciences concerned with in evaluating managers' decisions is operations research. Summing up, operations research deals with the problem of how to gain means and use resources in the most ..
- How do integrated delivery systems adopt and implement clinical information systems?Bryan J Weiner
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:51-66. 2004..Using case study methods, we identified general themes and explored how organizational context factors and information technology characteristics affect adoption and implementation processes...
- Uncertainty in health care environments: myth or reality?James W Begun
Department of Health Care Management, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:31-9. 2004..Exploratory judgments of the complexity and dynamism of the environment of health care organizations are included...
- Ethics orientation as a mediator of organizational integrity in health services organizationsE Jose Proenca
Department of Health and Medical Services Administration, School of Business Administration, Widener University, Chester, PA, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 29:40-50. 2004..Furthermore, program elements that induced both orientations have a larger impact on integrity. These findings have important implications for health services managers involved in designing and implementing an ethics program...
- Towards a systemic understanding of a hospital waiting listJ L Foote
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Limited, Christchurch, New Zealand
J Health Organ Manag 18:140-54. 2004..The case study reported helps to shed light on why increasing funding to clear waiting lists proves ineffective...
- How can ergonomics influence design? Moving from research findings to future systemsSidney W A Dekker
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Division of Industrial Ergonomics, Linkoping Institute of Technology, SE 581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
Ergonomics 47:1624-39. 2004..Better understanding of the processes necessary to bridge this gap may be critical for progress in ergonomics research and for the use of its findings in actual design processes...
- Current trends in trauma registry the role of the systems analystKatie E Morrison
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Trauma Nurs 11:75-8. 2004
- Nurses and the Joint Commission tracer methodologyLinda Murphy-Knoll
Division of Accreditation and Certification Operations, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill 60181, USA
J Nurs Care Qual 21:5-7. 2006
- Assessing psychoactive pharmaceuticals and transitioning pharmacological fatigue countermeasures into operational environmentsBrandon K Doan
Biosciences and Protection Division, US Air Force Research Laboratory, Brooks City Base, TX 78235, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C34-8. 2005....
- Assessing performance in complex team environmentsJeffrey N Whitmore
Fatigue Countermeasures Branch, Biosciences and Protection Division, Human Effectiveness Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Brooks City Base, TX 78235, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C31-3. 2005..Most tasks performed in Command and Control environments are team tasks, and understanding this type of performance is becoming increasingly important to the evaluation of mission success and for overall system optimization...
- An analysis of international health care logistics: the benefits and implications of implementing just-in-time systems in the health care industryP Gary Jarrett
Kaiser, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Int J Health Care Qual Assur Inc Leadersh Health Serv 19:i-x. 2006..ORIGINALITY/VALUE: The analysis was conducted in a systematic manner and compared the anticipated benefits with benefits validated in other industries from the implementation of JIT...
- Cognitive performance and communications in a network-centric battle laboratoryLouis E Banderet
US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Natick, MA 01760 5007, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C21-3. 2005....
- Operational processes and cognitive mappingEdna R Fiedler
National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:C4-6. 2005....
- Hassle-free consultingTerese Hudson Thrall
Hosp Health Netw 80:58-60. 2006
- Performance enhancement of a contract net protocol based system through instance-based learningUmesh Deshpande
IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern 35:345-58. 2005
- Organizational research with impact: working backwardsIrene Fraser
Center for Delivery, Organization and Markets, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 1:S52-9. 2004..But for evidence to inform the decisions of system and policy leaders, we will need to rethink and restructure the research enterprise itself, bringing the potential users of evidence into the production process...
- Innovation in hospitals: a survey of the literatureFaridah Djellal
Clersé, Ifrési CNRS, Faculty of Economics and Sociology, University of Lille 1, Bâtiment SH1, 59 655, Vileneuve d Ascq Cedex, France
Eur J Health Econ 8:181-93. 2007..This approach makes it possible to extend the model of hospital innovation to incorporate new forms of innovation and new actors in the innovation process, in accordance with the Schumpeterian tradition of openness...
- Improving patient throughputDagmara Scalise
Hosp Health Netw 80:49-54. 2006
- Considerations of pharmacology on fitness for duty in the operational environmentMary A Kautz
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B107-12. 2007....
- Neurocognitive monitors: toward the prevention of cognitive performance decrements and catastrophic failures in the operational environmentMaria L Thomas
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B144-52. 2007....
- Operational neuroscience: neurophysiological measures in applied environmentsAmy A Kruse
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, 3701 N Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B191-4. 2007..It is our hope that the discussion of this new field of study will galvanize others to increase the confidence and utility of this research through their own investigations...
- A revenue-cycle factoryRobert N Diehl
Patient Acc 25:2-3. 2002
- Performance improvement. Which path is right for your hospital?Lee Ann Runy
Hosp Health Netw 81:6 p following 48, 2. 2007..Which of four prominent performance improvement methods is best for your hospital? First you need to understand exactly what you hope to accomplish and how much you're willing to invest in terms of money, staff time and other resources...
- High-performing and low-performing nursing homes: a view from complexity scienceSarah Forbes-Thompson
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing, Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:341-51. 2007..Some scientists have turned their attention to viewing nursing homes as complex adaptive systems to inform our understanding of organizational performance...
- Organizational and environmental effects on voluntary and involuntary turnoverChristopher Donoghue
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Kean University, Union, NJ, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:360-9. 2007..There are few studies of voluntary and involuntary turnover in the nursing home literature. Previous research in this area has focused mainly on the linear effects of individual and organizational characteristics on total turnover...
- Provider integration and local market conditions: a contingency theory perspectiveG J Young
Department of Veterans Affairs, Boston University School of Public Health, Program on Health Policy and Management, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 26:73-9. 2001..This article discusses contingency theory as a conceptual lens for guiding empirical studies of the effectiveness of different types of arrangements...
- Team dynamics and team empowerment in health care organizationsE Jose Proenca
Department of Management, Health Administration and Human Resources, School of Business Administration, Widener University, PA, USA
Health Care Manage Rev 32:370-8. 2007..Despite the growing pervasiveness of team-based job designs in health care organizations, there is a degree of uncertainty and ambiguity about the process through which teams affect outcomes...
- Enhancing healthcare process design with human factors engineering and reliability science, part 1: setting the contextCarol Boston-Fleischhauer
Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington School of Nursing, Seattle, WA, USA
J Nurs Adm 38:27-32. 2008..An examination of these theories, application approaches, and examples are presented...
- Emergency department structure and operationsJames A Espinosa
Overlook Hospital, 99 Beauvoir Avenue, Summit, NJ 08043, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 22:73-85, vi. 2004..Various theories are noted, but the intent of this article is to be eclectic so as to give the reader a feel for the rich variety of approaches available...
- Hospital quality, efficiency, and input slack differentialsVivian G Valdmanis
Department of Health Policy and Public Health, University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1830-48. 2008..To use an advance in data envelopment analysis (DEA) called congestion analysis to assess the trade-offs between quality and efficiency in U.S. hospitals...
- Operations research methods applied to workflow in a medical records departmentS Y Edna Chan
Operations Research, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7913, USA
Health Care Manag Sci 5:191-9. 2002..The findings provided insight into the workflow, staffing and performance of the department...
- Physician office productivity improvement through operations analysis and process redesignEugene L McCarthy
Partner HealthCARE Management Consulting, LLC, Reading, Massachusetts, USA
J Ambul Care Manage 25:37-52. 2002..Opportunities for cost reduction, increased revenues, and increased patient and physician satisfaction are identified...
- Success factors in hospital network performance: evidence from KoreaKwang Jum Kim
Graduate School of Health Care Management and Policy, The Catholic University of Korea, Korea
Health Serv Manage Res 20:141-52. 2007..The study finds that the quality of cooperation and information sharing between network partners are critical. The paper concludes with a discussion of the implications for researchers and practitioners...
- Evaluating primary care research networksEvelyn Fenton
Department of Management, The University of Reading Business School, UK
Health Serv Manage Res 20:162-73. 2007..If there is a good fit or congruence between their input factors and network objectives, networks will be internally coherent and able to operate at optimum effectiveness...
- Applying business management models in health careMichael G Trisolini
RTI International, 411 Waverely Oaks Road, Suite 330, Waltham, Massachusetts 02452, USA
Int J Health Plann Manage 17:295-314. 2002..In sum, each of the five models is shown to provide a useful perspective for health care management. Health care managers should gain experience and training with a broader set of business management models...
- The current status of home care nursing practice: part 2: operational trends and future challengesCarolyn J Humphrey
Home Healthc Nurse 20:741-7. 2002
- The structure of quality systems is important to the process and outcome, an empirical study of 386 hospital departments in SwedenStefan Kunkel
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
BMC Health Serv Res 7:104. 2007..The objectives of this study were to analyse whether structure, process, and outcome can be used to describe quality systems, to analyse whether these components are related, and to discuss implications...
- A conceptual model of emergency department crowdingBrent R Asplin
Department of Emergency Medicine, Regions Hospital and HealthPartners Research Foundation, and University of Minnesota Medical School, St Paul and Minneapolis, MN 55101, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:173-80. 2003..The goal of the conceptual model is to provide a practical framework on which an organized research, policy, and operations management agenda can be based to alleviate ED crowding...
- Potential paradigm for assessments of biomedical technologies in the operational environmentBernard M Corona
U S Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory, Columbia, MD 21044, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 78:B245-51. 2007....
- Approaching the management of hospital units with an operation research technique: the case of 32 Greek obstetric and gynaecology public unitsMaria Katharaki
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Egnatias 25, 12137 Athens, Greece
Health Policy 85:19-31. 2008....
- Caseload management in community children's nursingMary Lewis
Bath and North East Somerset Primary Care Trust
Paediatr Nurs 20:18-22. 2008..This action research project aimed to find ways of managing community children's nursing caseloads that would improve the efficiency, effectiveness and equity of services and inform negotiations with service commissioners...
- Store-bought lessonsBob Kehoe
Mater Manag Health Care 15:24-30. 2006
- Why calculating PACU staffing is so hard and why/how operations research specialists can helpFranklin Dexter
Divison of Management Consulting, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 22:357-9. 2007
- Change your metrics: if you get what you measure, then measure what you want--retentionJ Deane Waldman
ADM Healthcare Consulting, and the School of Medicine and the R O Anderson Graduate Schools of Management, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Med Pract Manage 22:13-9. 2006....
- Improving quality and costStephen Fox
Health Estate 56:27-9. 2002..Dr Fox carries out research and consultancy with Sheffield Hallam University's School of Engineering. His focuses on the formulation and application of design methodologies...
- Coping with changing conditions: alternative strategies for the delivery of maternal and child health and family planning services in Dhaka, BangladeshS Routh
Operations Research Project, Health and Population Extension Division, ICDDR, B Centre for Health and Population Research, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Bull World Health Organ 79:142-9. 2001..Against this backdrop, operations research was conducted by the Centre for Health and Population Research at the International Centre for Diarrhoeal ..
- Nurse auxiliaries as providers of intrauterine devices for contraception in Guatemala and HondurasRicardo Vernon
Investigación en Salud y Demografía SC, Mexico City, Mexico
Reprod Health Matters 17:51-60. 2009..b>Operations research in Guatemala and Honduras in 1997-2005, described in this paper, have shown that nurse auxiliaries can ..
- Streamlining administration at the University of Minnesota Medical SchoolPeter Mitsch
University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Acad Med 82:252-7. 2007..In addition, the consultants estimated that if the medical school still had stand-alone departmental administrative units, annual administrative costs would be $3 million higher...
- Modelling the evolution of drug resistance in the presence of antiviral drugsJianhong Wu
Center for Disease Modeling, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, M3J 1P3, Canada
BMC Public Health 7:300. 2007..Mathematical modelling may help guide the design of treatment programs and also may help us better understand the potential benefits and limitations of prevention strategies...
- Postabortion care in Latin America: policy and service recommendations from a decade of operations researchDeborah L Billings
Ipas, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Health Policy Plan 20:158-66. 2005..This article reviews results from 10 major PAC operations research projects conducted in public sector hospitals in seven Latin American countries, completed and published ..
- Ruling out pregnancy among family planning clients: the impact of a checklist in three countriesJohn Stanback
Family Health International, Post Office Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Stud Fam Plann 36:311-5. 2005..Researchers in Guatemala, Mali, and Senegal conducted operations research to determine whether a simple, replicable introduction of this checklist improved access to contraceptive ..
- A large Markovian linear program to optimize replacement policies and dairy herd net income for diets and nitrogen excretionV E Cabrera
Department of Dairy Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:394-406. 2010..The implementation of a Markovian linear program for dairy decision making provides both robustness and versatility in operations research. The model could become a valuable tool for economic decision making for dairy farms.
- Can research accelerate progress toward millennium development goal 5 (maternal health) in Jamaica?A McCaw-Binns
The Department of Community Health and Psychiatry, The University of the West Indies, Mona, Kingston 7, Jamaica
West Indian Med J 57:549-54. 2008..The model from Thailand is put forward for consideration. The operations research model for maternal health can be transferred to other MDG objectives...
- Hybrid optimization techniques for the workshift and rest assignment of nursing personnelC Valouxis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Patras, GR 26500 Rio, Patras, Greece
Artif Intell Med 20:155-75. 2000..A hybrid methodology that utilizes the strengths of operations research and artificial intelligence was used for the solution of the problem...
- Lessons in integration--operations research in an Indian leprosy NGOJ D H Porter
Departments of Public Health and Policy and Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, UK
Lepr Rev 73:147-59. 2002..Following a 'qualitative approach', this operations research project assessed the perceptions of communities and providers about leprosy and tuberculosis services...
- Assessing the impact of wastage on pediatric vaccine immunization formulary costs using a vaccine selection algorithmSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, 1206 West Green Street MC 244, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Vaccine 22:2307-15. 2004..b>Operations research models have been developed and used to make economically sound procurement choices from among a growing ..
- Ethical issues in engineering models: an operations researcher's reflectionsJ Kleijnen
Department of Information Management and Center for Economic Research, Tilburg School of Economics and Management, Tilburg University, Postbox 90153, 5000 LE, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Sci Eng Ethics 17:539-52. 2011This article starts with an overview of the author's personal involvement--as an Operations Research consultant--in several engineering case-studies that may raise ethical questions; e.g...
- Large sharing networks and unusual injection practices explain the rapid rise in HIV among IDUs in Sargodha, PakistanAdnan A Khan
Research and Development Solutions, Islamabad, Pakistan
Harm Reduct J 6:13. 2009..Our findings highlight both the importance of qualitative research and operations research to enrich the quality of HIV prevention programs.
- Utilization of obstetric care services in a rural community in southwestern NigeriaS B Bawa
Department of Community Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 33:239-44. 2004..005). We recommend operations research to assess and improve the quality of existing health facilities and training/retraining of antenatal care ..
- An analysis of the average waiting time during the patient discharge process at Kashani Hospital in Esfahan, Iran: a case studySima Ajami
College of Management and Medical Informatics Esfahan Medical Sciences University, Iran
HIM J 36:37-42. 2007..SPSS and Operations Research (O.R.) methods were used to analyse data...
- 5th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention: summary of key research and implications for policy and practice - operations researchRodney Kort
Kort Consulting, Toronto, M4Y 2T6, Canada
J Int AIDS Soc 13:S5. 2010b>Operations research was added as a fourth scientific track to the pathogenesis conference series at the 5th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention (IAS 2009) in recognition of the importance of this growing research ..
- Measuring satisfaction with migraine treatment: expectations, importance, outcomes, and global ratingsDonald L Patrick
Departent of Health Services, University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle 98195 7660, USA
Clin Ther 25:2920-35. 2003..Previous work in health services, marketing, and operations research suggested that global ratings of satisfaction need to account for multiple influences and differing patient ..
- Optimizing dispersal corridors for the Cape Proteaceae using network flowSteven J Phillips
AT and T Labs Research, 180 Park Avenue, Florham Park, New Jersey 07932, USA
Ecol Appl 18:1200-11. 2008..This allows us to apply well-established tools from operations research and computer science for solving network flow problems...
- Prevalence and Determinants of Self-reported Morbidity among Pregnant Women in Rural Areas of PakistanFarid Midhet
Asia Foundation, Islamabad, Pakistan
Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 1:243-8. 2007..METHOD : The data were collected in a baseline survey that was conducted for an operations research project of the Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan...
- Revised American Pain Society Patient Outcome Questionnaire (APS-POQ-R) for quality improvement of pain management in hospitalized adults: preliminary psychometric evaluationDebra B Gordon
Department of Nursing Practice Innovations, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Pain 11:1172-86. 2010Quality improvement (QI) is a compilation of methods adapted from psychology, statistics, and operations research to identify factors that contribute to poor treatment outcomes and to design solutions for improvement...
- Identifying functional modules in protein-protein interaction networks: an integrated exact approachMarcus T Dittrich
Department of Bioinformatics, Biocenter, University of Wurzburg, Am Hubland, 97074 Wurzburg, Germany
Bioinformatics 24:i223-31. 2008..Various heuristic approaches have been proposed in the literature...
- Operational lessons from 20 years of the Mectizan Donation Program for the control of onchocerciasisB Thylefors
Mectizan Donation Program, Decatur, GA 30030, USA
Trop Med Int Health 13:689-96. 2008..the value of a broad partnership; (iii) the great potential of working through community-directed treatment; (iv) the need to streamline all drug management aspects and (v) the importance of operations research to tackle new challenges.
- Cost efficiency in maternal and child health and family planning service delivery in Bangladesh: implications for NGOsSubrata Routh
ZdravPlus Programme Abt Associates Inc, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Health Policy Plan 19:11-21. 2004..The operations research on cost analyses was conducted within the health and family planning programmes of a leading NGO, using the ..
- A web-based tool for designing vaccine formularies for childhood immunization in the United StatesSheldon H Jacobson
Department of Computer Science, Simulation and Optimization Laboratory, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:611-9. 2008..The tool integrates general operations research methodologies with specific local practice choices to solve for the lowest overall cost set of vaccines ..
- The Onchocerciasis Control Programme in West Africa (OCP)B Boatin
UNICEF UNDP World Bank WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:13-7. 2008..results, the power of multicountry studies, the need for social science in community-driven endeavours and operations research, and the value of empowering communities as allies in disease control...
- Prevention and treatment of postpartum hemorrhage: new advances for low-resource settingsSuellen Miller
Women s Global Health Imperative, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
J Midwifery Womens Health 49:283-92. 2004..New directions for clinical and operations research are suggested.
- The co-adaptive neural network approach to the Euclidean Travelling Salesman ProblemE M Cochrane
Department of Computing, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow G4 0BA, Scotland, UK
Neural Netw 16:1499-525. 2003..we highlight the fact that none of the current NN approaches for the ETSP can compete with state of the art Operations Research heuristics...
- Obstetric first aid in the community--partners in safe motherhood. A strategy for reducing maternal mortalityL Sibley
Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Nurse Midwifery 42:117-21. 1997..Special Project staff of the American College of Nurse-Midwives will lead development and testing of the strategy through operations research activities in selected countries.
- CARTHAGENE: constructing and joining maximum likelihood genetic mapsT Schiex
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Castanet Tolosan, France
Proc Int Conf Intell Syst Mol Biol 5:258-67. 1997..algorithm EM with local search techniques which have been developed in the artificial intelligence and operations research communities...
- Review of the evidence for interventions to increase young people's use of health services in developing countriesBruce Dick
Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 938:151-204; discussion 317-41. 2006..This chapter reviews the evidence base for interventions that aim to increase young people's use of health services in developing countries...
- Million city traveling salesman problem solution by divide and conquer clustering with adaptive resonance neural networksSamuel A Mulder
Applied Computational Intelligence Lab, Department of Computer Science, University of Missouri Rolla, Rolla, MO 65401, USA
Neural Netw 16:827-32. 2003The Traveling Salesman Problem (TSP) is a very hard optimization problem in the field of operations research. It has been shown to be NP-complete, and is an often-used benchmark for new optimization techniques...
- Engaging men who have sex with men in operations research in KenyaWashington Onyango-Ouma
Institute of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya
Cult Health Sex 11:827-39. 2009..This study shows that despite difficulties, research of this kind can be carried out in Kenya...
- Global perceptual processing in problem solving: the case of the traveling salespersonT C Ormerod
Department of Psychology, Lancaster University, England
Percept Psychophys 61:1227-38. 1999..of finding the shortest tour around a set of locations and is an important task in computer science and operations research. In four experiments, the relationship between processes implicated in the recognition of good figures and ..
- Receptor-agonist interactions in service-theoretic perspective, effects of molecular timing on the shape of dose-response curvesPeter W Kühl
Institute of Theoretical Biology, Munchenstein, BL, Switzerland
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 26:1-34. 2006Service-theoretic concepts and methods, widely used in other fields (e.g., telecommunication and operations research), are useful also in a biochemical setting because the treatment of biocatalysts (enzymes, receptors) as servers and ..
- Reducing wait times through operations research: optimizing the use of surge capacityJonathan Patrick
UBC Centre for health Care Management, Vancouver, BC, V6T IZ2
Healthc Q 11:77-83. 2008..This paper highlights the significant benefits that can be achieved by applying operations research (OR) methods to healthcare management...
- Prioritizing conservation activities using reserve site selection methods and population viability analysisStephen C Newbold
U S Environmental Protection Agency, National Center for Environmental Economics, Washington, DC 20460, USA
Ecol Appl 19:1774-90. 2009..years a large literature on reserve site selection (RSS) has developed at the interface between ecology, operations research, and environmental economics...
- Integration of time as a description parameter in risk characterisation: application to methyl mercuryPh Verger
INA P G, Paris, France
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 49:25-30. 2007..Markov processes, which are widely used in a large variety of applications in insurance risk or in operations research, ranging from queuing systems to inventory/storage models...
- Operations research in public healthSumit Malhotra
Indian Institute of Public Health, Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi, India
Indian J Public Health 54:145-50. 2010b>Operations Research (OR) is gaining importance in public health interventions and programmes increasingly both nationally and internationally...
- Optimization modeling and comparative effectiveness of regionalized stroke careCharles C Branas; Fiscal Year: 2010..The broad objective of this proposal is to use operations research techniques to promote the development of optimized regional stroke systems and to compare the effectiveness ..
- APPLIED REGIONALIZATION OF EMERGENCY CARECharles Branas; Fiscal Year: 2004..The operations research work proposed here will meaningfully build on the original TRAMAH by adding hospital volume constraints to ..
- Improving HIV and HCV outcomes in U.S. AIDS Drug Assistance ProgramsBENJAMIN LINAS; Fiscal Year: 2007..To complement these research efforts, I will pursue course-work in advanced biostatistics, operations research, and the impact of institutional structures on health equity...
- Breast and Prostate Cancer Patterns of Care in KentuckySteven Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2007The purpose of this research is to conduct "enhanced surveillance and operations research using population- based data" from the Kentucky Cancer Registry (KCR)...
- DEPRESSION AND MEDICAL CARE:AGING AND CLINICAL SETTINGIra Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006....