Summary: That branch of learning which brings together theories and studies on communication and control in living organisms and machines.
- Cai Y. Minimalism context-aware displays. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2004;7:635-44 pubmed..A case study of the video stream monitoring for transit security is discussed in the paper. In addition, the author addresses the future direction of coherent human-machine vision systems. ..
- Friston K, Mattout J, Kilner J. Action understanding and active inference. Biol Cybern. 2011;104:137-60 pubmed publisher..Our results affirm that a Bayes-optimal approach provides a principled framework, which accommodates current thinking about the mirror-neuron system. Furthermore, it endorses the general formulation of action as active inference. ..
- Lecellier C. [The democratic side of science-fiction]. Med Sci (Paris). 2011;27:433-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we contend that science fiction has major assets that could face this challenge and facilitate the dialogue between sciences and society. ..
- Kimura H, Fukuoka Y, Cohen A. Biologically inspired adaptive walking of a quadruped robot. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2007;365:153-70 pubmed..We validate the effectiveness of the proposed neural system model control using the quadruped robots called 'Tekken1&2'. MPEG footage of experiments can be seen at http://www.kimura.is.uec.ac.jp. ..
- Neumann H, Pessoa L, Hansen T, Hanse T. Interaction of ON and OFF pathways for visual contrast measurement. Biol Cybern. 1999;81:515-32 pubmed..We demonstrate that the model is capable of successfully processing synthetic as well as natural images, thus illustrating the potential of the method for computer vision applications. ..
- Wang D, Zhang Y, Wang Y, Lee Y, Lu P, Wang Y. Cutting on triangle mesh: local model-based haptic display for dental preparation surgery simulation. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2005;11:671-83 pubmed..An experiment based on the Phantom desktop proves that fidelity in one-dimensional cutting can be realized and stability in three-dimensional cutting can be ensured using the force-filtering method. ..
- Graham E. Frankensteins and cyborgs: visions of the global future in an age of technology. Stud Christ Ethics. 2003;16:29-43 pubmed
- Pachet F. Beyond the cybernetic jam fantasy: the Continuator. IEEE Comput Graph Appl. 2004;24:31-5 pubmed
- Gritsun T, le Feber J, Stegenga J, Rutten W. Network bursts in cortical cultures are best simulated using pacemaker neurons and adaptive synapses. Biol Cybern. 2010;102:293-310 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate how changes in network connectivity, transmission delays, and excitatory fraction influence network burst features quantitatively. ..
- MacFarlane A. Information, knowledge and the future of machines. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2003;361:1581-616 pubmed..The future development of machines is examined in terms of unions of human and machine agency evolving as part of economic activity. Limits to, and threats posed by, the continuing evolution of such a society of agency are considered. ..
- Letelier J, Cardenas M, Cornish Bowden A. From L'Homme Machine to metabolic closure: steps towards understanding life. J Theor Biol. 2011;286:100-13 pubmed publisher..These are not all the same, but they are not completely different either, and in this review we examine their similarities and differences, with the aim of working towards the formulation of a unified theory of life. ..
- Neretin V, Iakushin M. [Crisis of computer diagnosis and ways of its overcoming]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2003;103:37-41 pubmed..Indicated diagnostics algorithm may be used for measuring of the lesions of nerves, plexuses, terminals and spinal cord segments involved in limb innervation. ..
- Wilson E, Rustighi E, Mace B, Newland P. Modelling the isometric force response to multiple pulse stimuli in locust skeletal muscle. Biol Cybern. 2011;104:121-36 pubmed publisher..The model is able to capture the force response to a range of inputs. This includes cases where the input comprised of higher frequency pulse trains and the assumption of quasi-linear behaviour could not be confirmed. ..
- Kim H, Kim S, Go H, Kim D. Synergetic analysis of spatio-temporal EEG patterns: Alzheimer's disease. Biol Cybern. 2001;85:1-17 pubmed
- Chang Y. Intelligent robust control for uncertain nonlinear time-varying systems and its application to robotic systems. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2005;35:1108-19 pubmed..A simulation example is made to confirm the performance of the developed control algorithms. ..
- Wiederhold B, Riva G. The quest for active and healthy ageing: what cyberpsychology can offer. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;191:3-6 pubmed
- Bozkurt A, Gilmour R, Sinha A, Stern D, Lal A. Insect-machine interface based neurocybernetics. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009;56:1727-33 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our bioelectronic interface and hybrid insect-machine platform enables multidisciplinary scientific and engineering studies not only to investigate the details of insect behavioral physiology but also to control it. ..
- Umehara T, Matsuda T, Chiyokura H, Kobayashi M. Human body textbook with three-dimensional illustrations. Stud Health Technol Inform. 1996;29:694-702 pubmed..In the education software, the human body structure is illustrated with 3D models. The user can see the 3D objects with real-time rotation and walk through the virtual space, and their functions are expressed in the 3D virtual space. ..
- Estany A. [Philosophy within the context of neurosciences]. Rev Neurol. 2013;56:344-8 pubmed..This initial framework is taken as the starting point with which to analyse the ways of representing knowledge and the characteristics of the cognoscente agent. ..
- Shi C, Kojima M, Anzai H, Tercero C, Ikeda S, Ohta M, et al. In vitro strain measurements in cerebral aneurysm models for cyber-physical diagnosis. Int J Med Robot. 2013;9:213-22 pubmed publisher..This platform is also complemented by a CFD simulation for advanced diagnosis and prediction of the growth tendency of an aneurysm in endovascular surgery. ..
- Gillett G. Cyborgs and moral identity. J Med Ethics. 2006;32:79-83 pubmed..The position taken is very much in accordance with the Aristotelian idea that our moral behaviour is of a piece with our social and personal skills and forms a reactive and reflective component of those skills. ..
- Chan S, Huang S. A systems approach for the development of a sustainable community--the application of the sensitivity model (SM). J Environ Manage. 2004;72:133-47 pubmed..The advantages and shortfalls of applying SM in the current planning environment of Taiwan are also discussed to conclude this paper. ..
- Hughes S, Lewis M. Attentive navigation for viewpoint control in virtual environments. Hum Factors. 2005;47:630-43 pubmed..Actual or potential applications of this research include improved interaction techniques for extracting information from visual representations, virtual environments, and teleoperation experiences. ..
- Silva L, Almeida H, Perkusich A, Perkusich M. A Model-Based Approach to Support Validation of Medical Cyber-Physical Systems. Sensors (Basel). 2015;15:27625-70 pubmed publisher..Finally, our models have been formally verified considering functional and safety requirements and model coverage. ..
- Patnaik P. Hybrid filtering of feed stream noise from oscillating yeast cultures by combined Kalman and neural network configurations. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng. 2007;30:181-8 pubmed..All hybrid filters were superior to both the EKF and purely neural filters. Along with previous studies of monotonic fermentations, the present results establish the suitability of hybrid neural filters for noise-affected bioreactors. ..
- Stojanovic M, Stefanovic D. A deoxyribozyme-based molecular automaton. Nat Biotechnol. 2003;21:1069-74 pubmed..The cycle of human player input and automaton response continues until there is a draw or a victory for the automaton. The automaton cannot be defeated because it implements a perfect strategy. ..
- Valdes P, Jimenez J, Riera J, Biscay R, Ozaki T. Nonlinear EEG analysis based on a neural mass model. Biol Cybern. 1999;81:415-24 pubmed..These attractors are also found by means of a nonlinear time series analysis of the EEG recordings. We conclude that the Hopf bifurcation described by Zetterberg et al. (1978) is present in actual brain dynamics. ..
- Lee O, Shin M. Addictive consumption of avatars in cyberspace. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2004;7:417-20 pubmed..Addictive avatar consumption is thought to be a behavior that might reduce stress. An empirical study was conducted to elucidate this claim. Self-control theory is suggested as an explanation for addictive consumption of avatars. ..
- Bitzer S, Kiebel S. Recognizing recurrent neural networks (rRNN): Bayesian inference for recurrent neural networks. Biol Cybern. 2012;106:201-17 pubmed publisher..We illustrate the use of the rRNN by an application to the online decoding (i.e. recognition) of human kinematics. ..
- Sivan M, Bhakta B. Restoring mobility: theories, technologies and effective treatments. Clin Med (Lond). 2008;8:596-600 pubmed
- Hak S, Mansard N, Stasse O, Laumond J. Reverse control for humanoid robot task recognition. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2012;42:1524-37 pubmed publisher..The approach is successfully applied on a real robot to disambiguate motion in different scenarios where two motions look similar but have different purposes. ..
- Srinivasan M, Zhang S, Chahl J, Barth E, Venkatesh S. How honeybees make grazing landings on flat surfaces. Biol Cybern. 2000;83:171-83 pubmed..The feasibility of this landing strategy is demonstrated by implementation in a robotic gantry equipped with vision. ..
- Fogel J. "Is cybermedicine killing you?"--peer review and evidence-based medicine. J Med Internet Res. 2005;7:e38; author reply e39 pubmed
- Lim H, Takanishi A. Biped walking robots created at Waseda University: WL and WABIAN family. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2007;365:49-64 pubmed..WABIAN-RIV is able to walk forwards, backwards and sideways, dance, carry heavy goods and express emotion, etc. WL-16 can move forwards, backwards and sideways while carrying an adult weighing up to 60 kg. ..
- Pavlasek J. Timing of neural commands: a model study with neuronal networks. Biol Cybern. 1997;77:359-65 pubmed..The tonic activity acted as an instructive signal influencing the pattern of the functional connectivity in such a way that a particular efferent command was generated by the instructed network. ..
- Rohrbaugh M, Kogan A, Shoham V. Family consultation for psychiatrically complicated health problems. J Clin Psychol. 2012;68:570-80 pubmed publisher..Although cost-effectiveness is an open question, FAMCON may offer a useful alternative to psychoeducational and cognitive-behavioral treatments in the framework of stepped care. ..
- Sturm A, Konig P. Mechanisms to synchronize neuronal activity. Biol Cybern. 2001;84:153-72 pubmed..Finally we relate these theoretical studies to the available experimental data, and suggest future lines of research. ..
- Giampalmo S, Absher B, Bourne W, Steves L, Vodenski V, O Donnell P, et al. Generation of complex motor patterns in american grasshopper via current-controlled thoracic electrical interfacing. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011;2011:1275-8 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of an insect cyborg with a synchronous neuromuscular system. ..
- Huang T, Juluri B. Biological and biomimetic molecular machines. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2008;3:107-24 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that in the not-too-distant future, unique applications of biological and biomimetic molecular machines will emerge in areas such as biochemical instrumentation and nanomedicine. ..
- Kou S, Lee H, van Noort D, Swamy K, Kim S, Soh J, et al. Fluorescent molecular logic gates using microfluidic devices. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2008;47:872-6 pubmed
- Stürzl W, Zeil J. Depth, contrast and view-based homing in outdoor scenes. Biol Cybern. 2007;96:519-31 pubmed..We propose a model for the shape of IDFs as a tool for quantitative comparisons between the shapes of these functions in different scenes. ..
- Jacobsen R, Zhang Q, Toftegaard T. Bioinspired principles for large-scale networked sensor systems: an overview. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:4137-51 pubmed publisher..Bioinspired principles and methods are discussed in the context of routing, clustering, time synchronization, optimal node deployment, localization and security and privacy. ..
- Nguyen T, Nguyen J, Nguyen H. Bayesian recursive algorithm for width estimation of freespace for a power wheelchair using stereoscopic cameras. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:4234-7 pubmed publisher..Given the probabilities of this width computed, a possible movement decision is then made for the mobile wheelchair. Experimental results obtained in an indoor environment show the effectiveness of this estimation algorithm. ..
- Mörtl A, Lorenz T, Vlaskamp B, Gusrialdi A, Schubo A, Hirche S. Modeling inter-human movement coordination: synchronization governs joint task dynamics. Biol Cybern. 2012;106:241-59 pubmed publisher..In short, our model predicts the dynamics of inter-human movement coordination. It can directly be implemented to enrich human-robot interaction. ..
- Klein Breteler M, Gielen S, Meulenbroek R. End-point constraints in aiming movements: effects of approach angle and speed. Biol Cybern. 2001;85:65-75 pubmed..Comparison of simulated and measured movement trajectories show that pointing movements that are constrained with respect to final movement direction and speed can be described in terms of minimization of joint-torque changes. ..
- Chinellato E, Grzyb B, Del Pobil A. Pose estimation through cue integration: a neuroscience-inspired approach. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2012;42:530-8 pubmed publisher..The same results, compared with simulations and data from human studies, show that the model is able to reproduce some well-recognized neuropsychological effects. ..
- Parton A, Bradshaw M, de Bruyn B. The design of telepresence systems: the task-dependent use of binocular disparity and motion parallax. Int J Cogn Ergon. 1999;3:189-202 pubmed..These results have implications for system designers selecting an appropriate display device for a telepresence system. ..
- Duysens J, Van de Crommert H, Smits Engelsman B, van der Helm F. A walking robot called human: lessons to be learned from neural control of locomotion. J Biomech. 2002;35:447-53 pubmed..It is suggested that cat and human locomotion are good models to learn from when designing efficient walking robots. ..
- Ando N, Emoto S, Kanzaki R. Odour-tracking capability of a silkmoth driving a mobile robot with turning bias and time delay. Bioinspir Biomim. 2013;8:016008 pubmed publisher..Further evaluations of the insect-controlled robot will provide a 'blueprint' for biomimetic robots and strongly promote the field of biomimetics. ..
- Colombetti E. Contemporary post-humanism: technological and human singularity. Cuad Bioet. 2014;25:367-77 pubmed..It also puts forward the need for axiological criteria to define growth as perfectionism. ..
- Anderson N, Matheson A, Anderson N. Back to the future: the human protein index (HPI) and the agenda for post-proteomic biology. Proteomics. 2001;1:3-12 pubmed..Several additional large scale technology efforts flowing from the HPI are also described. ..
- Taxidis J, Coomber B, Mason R, Owen M. Assessing cortico-hippocampal functional connectivity under anesthesia and kainic acid using generalized partial directed coherence. Biol Cybern. 2010;102:327-40 pubmed publisher..The biological implications of these findings on the effects of anesthesia and kainic acid in brain connectivity, along with implementation issues of gPDC analysis on field potentials and spike trains, are extensively discussed. ..
- Murray E, Burns J, Tai S, Nazareth I. "Is cybermedicine killing you?"--a response from the authors of the Cochrane Review. J Med Internet Res. 2005;7:e40; author reply e41-2 pubmed