Summary: The collection, writing, and editing of current interest material on topics related to biomedicine for presentation through the mass media, including newspapers, magazines, radio, or television, usually for a public audience such as health care consumers.
- Schwartz L, Woloshin S, Baczek L. Media coverage of scientific meetings: too much, too soon?. JAMA. 2002;287:2859-63 pubmed..Abstracts at scientific meetings receive substantial attention in the high-profile media. A substantial number of the studies remain unpublished, precluding evaluation in the scientific community. ..
- Lantz J, Lanier W. Observations from the Mayo Clinic National Conference on Medicine and the Media. Mayo Clin Proc. 2002;77:1306-11 pubmed..Full disclosure of commercial support and affiliations, peer review of study reports, and formal guidelines for conduct may limit inappropriate financial influence. ..
- Moynihan R. Making medical journalism healthier. Lancet. 2003;361:2097-8 pubmed
- Cooper R, Schriger D, Tashman D. An evaluation of the graphical literacy of Annals of Emergency Medicine. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;37:13-9 pubmed..To help readers fully understand research findings, authors and editors should take care to ensure that graphics efficiently and effectively portray the optimal amount of information. ..
- Gale D. The focus of the media is medical intervention, not the pursuit of health. PLoS Med. 2005;2:e362 pubmed
- Schwitzer G, Mudur G, Henry D, Wilson A, Goozner M, Simbra M, et al. What are the roles and responsibilities of the media in disseminating health information?. PLoS Med. 2005;2:e215 pubmed
- Atlas M. Retraction policies of high-impact biomedical journals. J Med Libr Assoc. 2004;92:242-50 pubmed..Including policies in Instructions to Authors relating to the principled conduct of research and publication will improve the ethical environment in which the scientific community works. ..
- Plutchak T. Sands shifting beneath our feet. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002;90:161-3 pubmed
- Gershen B. Medical editing: an ethical dilemma. Md Med. 2007;8:6-7 pubmed
- Jørgensen K, Klahn A, Gøtzsche P. Are benefits and harms in mammography screening given equal attention in scientific articles? A cross-sectional study. BMC Med. 2007;5:12 pubmed..001)). Scientific articles tend to emphasize the major benefits of mammography screening over its major harms. This imbalance is related to the authors' affiliation. ..
- Sumathipala A, Siribaddana S, Hewege S, Lekamwattage M, Athukorale M, Siriwardhana C, et al. Ethics Review Committee approval and informed consent: an analysis of biomedical publications originating from Sri Lanka. BMC Med Ethics. 2008;9:3 pubmed publisher..However, there is a positive trend in documenting these ethical requirements in local postgraduate research and in the local medical journal. ..
- Rusu V. [Era of medical imaging (II)]. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2008;112:9-10 pubmed
- Pector E. Save patients from media hype. Med Econ. 2007;84:37-8, 41-2 pubmed
- Molnár F. [To the Editor: Thrombolytic therapy for lower limb artery in vascular surgical practice]. Magy Seb. 2007;60:190 pubmed
- McConnell C. See your ideas in print: write for a professional journal. Health Care Manag (Frederick). 2010;29:279-89 pubmed publisher..One who follows this entire process to its positive conclusion will find that journal writing can be an exacting, demanding, frustrating, and immensely satisfying professional activity. ..
- You M, Ju Y. [News media's surveillance and gatekeeping in representing health risk]. J Prev Med Public Health. 2010;43:279-82 pubmed publisher..Bearing in mind the major influence of news coverage on risk perception, health professionals need to be more proactive about helping to improve Korean health journalism. ..
- Prüll C. [Physicians, journalists and patients as public spheres in West Germany. The example of the journal "Der Spiegel" (1947-1955)]. Medizinhist J. 2010;45:102-33 pubmed..On the other hand, the journal itself molded the discussions about a scientific medicine, which was to be not only innovative but also democratic. ..
- Schultz H, Blalock E. Transparency is the key to the relationship between biomedical journals and medical writers. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:735-7 pubmed
- Sloane T. Your opinion here. Members of healthcare community have new ways to share ideas. Mod Healthc. 2006;36:17 pubmed
- Gansler T, Ganz P, Grant M, Greene F, Johnstone P, Mahoney M, et al. Sixty years of CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. CA Cancer J Clin. 2010;60:345-50 pubmed publisher..On the 60th anniversary of that date, we briefly review several seminal contributions to oncology and cancer control published in our journal during its first decade. ..
- Wheatley F. Home truths. Nurs Stand. 2006;20:30-1 pubmed
- Kober T, Trelle S, Engert A. Reporting of randomized controlled trials in Hodgkin lymphoma in biomedical journals. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:620-5 pubmed
- Eriksson E. Impact factors revisited. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2006;14:403 pubmed
- Prosser H. Marvelous medicines and dangerous drugs: the representation of prescription medicine in the UK newsprint media. Public Underst Sci. 2010;19:52-69 pubmed..Ideological paradigms in discourse assign patients as passive and disempowered while simultaneously privileging "expert" knowledge. This constructs a reality that marginalizes patients' participation in decision-making. ..
- Jensen J, Moriarty C, Hurley R, Stryker J. Making sense of cancer news coverage trends: a comparison of three comprehensive content analyses. J Health Commun. 2010;15:136-51 pubmed publisher..Finally, the data were compatible with the idea that personalization bias (e.g., celebrity profiles, event coverage) may explain some news coverage distortions. ..
- Gracza T. [Eigenfactor: a recent opportunity of measuring scientific journals]. Orv Hetil. 2008;149:1669-71 pubmed publisher..All sources consulted by the researcher during the research process contribute to the determination of the Eigenfactor. Is it possible that Eigenfactor will have the leading role in scientometry starting in the next century? ..
- Spaczynski M, Januszek Michalecka L, Nowak Markwitz E, Kedzia W, Spaczyński R, Karowicz Bilinska A. [Growing importance of the Polish Gynaecology--comments of the editorial team]. Ginekol Pol. 2010;81:734-9 pubmed..Evaluation of the SJR indicator of all Polish gynecological journals gives reason to believe that Polish Gynaecology is a highly regarded and valued publication. ..
- Finer D. [Bernt Bernholm--father of Swedish medical journalism]. Lakartidningen. 2008;105:1123-5 pubmed
- Balon R. Introduction: new developments in the area of sexual dysfunction(s). Adv Psychosom Med. 2008;29:1-6 pubmed publisher..g. epidemiology and pharmacological treatment, are reviewed. Areas where new developments/changes are needed, such as diagnosis of sexual dysfunction and research methodology, are also briefly discussed. ..
- Niethard F, Weise K. [The new periodical for orthopedic and traumatic surgery--unity in diversity]. Z Orthop Unfall. 2007;145:111-2 pubmed
- Wager E. What do journal editors do when they suspect research misconduct?. Med Law. 2007;26:535-44 pubmed..This small survey highlights the difficulties faced by editors in pursuing cases of suspected misconduct and the need for better training and guidance for editors and more cooperation from institutions. ..
- Kiefer B. [Ideologic journalism]. Rev Med Suisse. 2007;3:1928 pubmed
- Knopf K, Hutton J. Value and use of economic evaluation in oncology. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:5666-7; author reply 5667 pubmed
- Hansen K. South Dakota Journal of Medicine. S D Med. 2008;Spec No.:3 pubmed
- Segouin C, David S, Guérin C, Dall Ava J, Desaulle M, Bernard J, et al. ["Top 15" medical journals downloaded in Paris public hospitals]. Presse Med. 2007;36:881-2 pubmed
- Szallasi A. [Rhino-, laryngo- and otology, short supplement of the Orvosi Hetilap]. Orv Hetil. 2007;148:1241-2 pubmed
- P Salas S, Beca I J. [Mass media communication of biomedical advances]. Rev Med Chil. 2008;136:1348-52 pubmed publisher..If these recommendations are followed, the general public, physicians, researchers and health care institutions will be benefited. ..
- Pless B. Falling wrinklies. Inj Prev. 2006;12:282 pubmed
- Liesegang T. Web 2.0, library 2.0, physician learning 2.0. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:1801-3 pubmed
- McCoul E, Vengerovich G, Burstein D, Rosenfeld R. Do abstracts in otolaryngology journals report study findings accurately?. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;142:225-30 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the perils of using the abstract as a sole source of information. ..
- Newman C, Persson A. Fear, complacency and the spectacle of risk: the making of HIV as a public concern in Australia. Health (London). 2009;13:7-23 pubmed publisher..Together they construct Australian publics as passive, vulnerable, unaware and potentially uncaring, yet do little to engage the mainstream as more than spectators of public concern about HIV. ..
- Santos Ramos B, Artacho Criado S, Clopés Estela A, Guerrero Aznar M, Ferriols Lisart R, Martínez Bengoechea M, et al. [The international situation and the Farmacia Hospitalaria journal]. Farm Hosp. 2007;31:137-40 pubmed
- Kyzas P, Denaxa Kyza D, Ioannidis J. Almost all articles on cancer prognostic markers report statistically significant results. Eur J Cancer. 2007;43:2559-79 pubmed..Under strong reporting bias, statistical significance loses its discriminating ability for the importance of prognostic markers. ..
- Fishman J, Ten Have T, Casarett D. Cancer and the media: how does the news report on treatment and outcomes?. Arch Intern Med. 2010;170:515-8 pubmed publisher..These portrayals of cancer care in the news media may give patients an inappropriately optimistic view of cancer treatment, outcomes, and prognosis. ..
- Desai H. Do authors require protection?. Natl Med J India. 2008;21:50 pubmed
- White A. Electronic publishing and Acupuncture in Medicine. Acupunct Med. 2006;24:123-8 pubmed..All Acupuncture in Medicine articles will in future be included in the LinkOut scheme, and be presented to the databases electronically. ..
- Tiefer L. Female sexual dysfunction: a case study of disease mongering and activist resistance. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e178 pubmed