Summary: It is a form of protection provided by law. In the United States this protection is granted to authors of original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works. (from Circular of the United States Copyright Office, 6/30/2008)
- Busey J. Copyrights, trademarks, and patents, oh my!. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1514-6 pubmed
- Johnson R, Garrity S. Message from the editors. Ann Neurol. 2002;52:1 pubmed
- Chen F, Wrynn P, Rieke J. Electronic journal access: how does it affect the print subscription price?. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001;89:363-71 pubmed..More study is recommended to see if the trends observed in this study are sustained over a longer time period. ..
- Drazen J, Curfman G. Public access to biomedical research. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1343 pubmed
- ..Journal of Cell Biology, The Journal of Experimental Medicine, or The Journal of General Physiology) now retain copyright to their published work...
- Johnson S. Who's idea is it?. Nurse Author Ed. 2004;14:1-4 pubmed..By writing the details in a letter, outline, or proposal; including the copyright notice; and setting deadlines so the project moves to a finished manuscript, the idea will result in a ..
- Souza Neto E, Batier C, Yahiaoui C, Bernard A, Bonavitacola G, Lehot J, et al. [From the creation to the appreciation of a pedagogic Internet site in anaesthesia and intensive care]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2006;25:375-81 pubmed..Our pedagogic Web site obtained 76 out of 100 and can be considered satisfactory. This study demonstrated that adapted multimedia tools can improve procedural skill teaching in anaesthesia and intensive care. ..
- DeSilets L. What are good business practices, anyway?. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2006;37:196-7 pubmed
- Carter S. Patents versus settling for the soft option. Med Device Technol. 2004;15:19 pubmed
- Buytaert W. The advantages of the use of open source software in geosciences. Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci. 2003;68:35-8 pubmed
- Goudreau K. The copyright quagmire on the Internet. Comput Nurs. 1999;17:82-5; quiz 86-8 pubmed..of materials were never envisioned by the authors of the Berne Convention, which outlined original international copyright laws...
- Uchida S. [Use of digital data in academic activities--on copy rights and good manners]. Masui. 2006;55 Suppl:S34-40 pubmed
- Mair J. Who owns the information in the medical record? Copyright issues. Health Inf Manag. 2011;40:31-7 pubmed..The question that may arise is whether copyright can subsist in patient medical records, and if so, what benefit may arise from ownership of such copyright.
- Chen Z, Deng X, Zeng F, Liu H, Chen L. A novel lossless robust watermarking method for copyright protection of biomedical image. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2013;13:2108-16 pubmed..imaging devices, more and more valuable biomedical images are transmitted through the open network, and their copyright suffers a major challenge...
- Herrman J. Using film clips to enhance nursing education. Nurse Educ. 2006;31:264-9 pubmed..for the use of popular clips, logistical aspects of showing clips in class, and legal issues associated with copyright are addressed...
- Brown W. Intellectual property law: a primer for scientists. Mol Biotechnol. 2003;23:213-24 pubmed..b>Copyright provides legal protection from copying for any creative work, as well as business and scientific publications, ..
- Zerhouni E. Information access. NIH public access policy. Science. 2004;306:1895 pubmed
- Curran M, Curran K. The legalities and practicalities of developing a course-specific electronic reserve room. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2002;23:300-6 pubmed..The article reviews legal issues related to the development of an electronic reserve room for internet access. In addition, hardware and software issues related to the transference of paper materials to a digital format are considered. ..
- Schloman B. Creative commons: an opportunity to extend the public domain. Online J Issues Nurs. 2004;9:16 pubmed
- Farrell A. Getting the picture: medical images on the Web. Med Ref Serv Q. 2006;25:47-54 pubmed..This article intends to inform users about medical images on the Internet, as well as providing a select list of Web-based medical image sources. ..
- Raikhel N, Ort D, Jorgensen R. ASPB's response to the NIH's Public Access Policy. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:540-1 pubmed
- Sondheimer J. Political intrusion on our own back porch. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2005;40:115-6 pubmed
- Gass A. Public access to biomedical research. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:2879-80; author reply 2879-80 pubmed
- Walsh P. Re: Anatomical radical retropubic prostatectomy: detailed description of the surgical technique. J Urol. 2005;173:324 pubmed
- Bouchie A. Napster case spills into biotech sector. Nat Biotechnol. 2004;22:1185-6 pubmed
- Langlois M, Heller R, Edwards R, Lyratzopoulos G, Sandars J. Restrictions impeding web-based courses: a survey of publishers' variation in authorising access to high quality on-line literature. BMC Med Educ. 2004;4:7 pubmed..This may be influenced by vague terminology within the 'fair dealing' provision in the copyright legislation, which seems to leave it open to individual interpretation...
- Duardo Sanchez A, Patlewicz G, López Díaz A. Current topics on software use in medicinal chemistry: intellectual property, taxes, and regulatory issues. Curr Top Med Chem. 2008;8:1666-75 pubmed..accompanied, by a lack of understanding of the legal aspects related to software and model use, that is, the copyright protection of new medicinal chemistry software and software-mediated discovered products...
- Castilla Juárez K. [Red Cross: more than an indicative signal, an emblem and a denomination regulated for its use]. Gac Med Mex. 2014;150:200-6 pubmed
- ..The paper makes some recommendation which may help to ensure that not only can nurse educators fully exploit the opportunities offered by the World Wide Web but they can do so in a legally responsible manner. ..
- D Agostino G, Hinds C, Jirotka M, Meyer C, Piper T, Rahman M, et al. On the importance of intellectual property rights for e-science and the integrated health record. Health Informatics J. 2008;14:95-111 pubmed publisher..Based on an understanding of current practices, this article presents recommendations for the governance of IP in an integrated health record. ..
- Lavelle M, LaVelle B, Port K, Sherlock J. Copyright Law Basics for the Nursing Professional: Part 2: Protecting Your Work. J Nurses Prof Dev. 2016;32:2-7 pubmed publisherThis article is a continuation of the discussion of Copyright Law (found in JNPD 31:5) as it applies to nursing professionals...
- Gardenier J. Shackling the shoulders of giants. A report on excerpts from the National Academies' Symposium on the Role of Scientific and Technical Data and Information in the Public Domain, Washington, DC, September 5-6, 2002. Sci Eng Ethics. 2003;9:425-34 pubmed..The definitive record of the symposium is planned to be available from the National Academies Press as a Proceedings publication in the summer of 2003. ..
- Giles J. Commercial copying charges hit European academics. Nature. 2003;426:217 pubmed
- Pesut D. Intellectual property: complexity and commitment. J Prof Nurs. 2002;18:251-2 pubmed
- Hunt J. Faces scale copyright. Paediatr Nurs. 2002;14:10 pubmed
- Hrynaszkiewicz I, Busch S, Cockerill M. Licensing the future: report on BioMed Central's public consultation on open data in peer-reviewed journals. BMC Res Notes. 2013;6:318 pubmed publisher..were six to one in favor (29 in support; 5 against; 8 abstentions) of changing our authors' default open access copyright license agreement, to introduce the Creative Commons CC0 public domain waiver for data published in BioMed ..
- Summers J, Kaminski J. Comment: publishing ethics--duplication indiscretion. Ann Pharmacother. 2003;37:749 pubmed
- Macrina F. Teaching authorship and publication practices in the biomedical and life sciences. Sci Eng Ethics. 2011;17:341-54 pubmed publisher..These common elements provide a foundation for teaching about scientific authorship and publication practices across biomedical and life sciences disciplines. ..
- Malakoff D. Scientific publishing. House bill triggers internecine battle. Science. 2003;302:554 pubmed
- Ackerman M. Gatekeepers of scholarship. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2005;8:18-20 pubmed
- Larrick K. Standards and copyright: finding a balance. Biomed Instrum Technol. 2007;41:316-7 pubmed
- Powsner S, Powsner D. Cognition, copyright, and the classroom. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:627-8 pubmed
- Brown H. Pay-per-view in interlibrary loan: a case study. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012;100:98-103 pubmed publisher..articles from publishers be a cost-effective method of interlibrary loan (ILL) for libraries owing significant copyright royalties? The University of Nebraska Medical Center's McGoogan Library of Medicine provides the case study...
- McLellan F. US bill says government funded work must be open access. The bill also wants to break up and redraw the rules on scientific publishing. Lancet. 2003;362:52 pubmed
- Lowe N. Publication ethics: copyright and self-plagiarism. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2003;32:145-6 pubmed
- Supak Smocić V, Bilic Zulle L. How do we handle self-plagiarism in submitted manuscripts?. Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2013;23:150-3 pubmed..The importance of dealing with self-plagiarism is emphasized by the recently published proposal of Text Recycling Guidelines by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). ..
- Devitt P, Hardicre J, Coad J. Ten steps to getting your paper published in a professional journal. Br J Nurs. 2007;16:290-1 pubmed..At the same time there remains a mystique about the best way to go about this. This article provides a simple commentary suggesting ten steps to help you publish in a professional journal. ..
- Lorenz S. Germany. Publishers and universities wrestle over rights. Science. 2003;299:1959 pubmed
- Rohrich R. Plastic surgery journals: a meeting of minds in Berlin. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120:2101-5 pubmed
- Watt F, Sever R. Non-profit publishing: open access and the end of copyright transfer. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:1 pubmed
- Marshall E. Scientific publishing. Britain's research agencies endorse public access. Science. 2005;309:226 pubmed